Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

ExplodingChef posted:

2) Anyone done the Party for the Senses? She got us the reserved private area tickets for it, and it looks like the kind of thing we're going to need to be drunkenly wheelbarrowed out of.

Ooh-hoo-hoo! You're gonna have so much FUUUUUUN. That is my favorite thing to do on Disney property. I wouldn't worry about a wheelbarrow though, everything is served in tiny little tasting menu portions so you can sample pretty much as much as you want without getting stuffed/drunk. Just bring some self-control and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Paul Allen posted:

Looking to make a couple of good reservations for somewhat inexpensive lunches, maybe Rose & Crown at Epcot, that kind of thing. Any suggestions on that front? Or are there more casual places we should definitely go? I'm a BIG planner, so reservation places would be preferable because I loving love the reservation system they have in place.

Rose and Crown is nice-ish but with all the staggeringly good places to eat in the World Showcase, I'd feel guilty reserving a spot there. Of course, most of them aren't somewhat inexpensive. I would prefer to eat at Morocco, Mexico, Germany, possibly Japan for the teppanyaki grill place, or Italy. Most of these places have a "cafe" or something similar as well as the larger and fancier restaurants, which might serve your moderate budget lunch needs.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I got to go to an after hours party last night in Pixar Place at Hollywood Studios, and they had Toy Story Mania open and we could ride as much as we wanted, which was neat. What was really interesting is one of the meet and greets they had set up. Roaming around the party was the Toy Story versions of Barbie and Ken, but they were face characters. The girl playing barbie wouldn't open her fingers and Ken was an arrogant rear end. It was kind of amazing. I overheard a woman tell Barbie she had her as a kid and Barbie was like "I remember, we had such good fun."

Awesome. Characters have some of the best opportunities for hilarity/fun/guest harassment. I remember spending many an hour watching the mobile trash can guy harass people. But the best one has to be at Universal Studios in Islands of Adventure. Being the guy that controls that dickish fountain has got to be the most fun job in existence if you like tormenting people.

I'm allowed to be a little callous when it comes to laughing at people who are getting hosed with in this manner. When I was just over the age that I wanted anything to do with characters, my parents took me to an Aladdin character breakfast. The Genie and Jafar noticed my disdain and took it as a sign that I needed to be harassed. I've taken it with the best of them.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I would say that the mid-tier hotels are totally worth it. The other guests are more manageable than at the value ones, the themeing is nicer, the cafeterias are a bit better, there's not as much walking from your room to the buses, and things are just generally a little bit more convenient. The rate bump isn't too bad either.

The high class hotels are super-nice of course. Much better food, fancy stuff like balcony rooms on the savanna at the Animal Kingdom Lodge or monorail stops for the MK loop places. The rate hike is significant though. I've stayed at AK lodge once and the Polynesian once, both times getting bumped out of mid-tier for free because we used to be frequent visitors and went at off times, and while I liked the hotels both times, it wouldn't be worth a couple extra hundred per night.

The mid tier joints provide enough perks per dollar for us to use every time. Personally I'd stay away from the Caribbean (it's almost as big and sprawly as the value resorts) and aim toward the Port Orleans (easily my favorite) or the Coronado (which some people like because it has the most mild themeing). This is a matter of taste though. Functionally all the mid-tier resorts are mostly equivalent, minus their locations and thus the length of bus rides.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Tigntink posted:

I realize the park is extremely larger than life but just how important is being right in a monorail hotel? For reference, in Vegas, I feel like staying in a hotel on the rail lines is pretty much the most important thing ever due to how dang hot and sunny it is + the fact that every hotel basically takes up a 15 block length of space.

It's an extra convenience some days and utterly meaningless other days. You still have to board busses to get to some of the parks. Animal Kingdom for instance isn't anywhere near any of the rail or water access. If you want to get there, your travelling experience will be near identical no matter where you're staying unless you're at the AK Lodge which is right there.

Monorails are a nicer way to get around than the buses, but they only get you to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot.

quote:

After looking at pictures and amenities my husband and I really like the Contemporary and the restaurants in the hotel but I just want to be super confident in my decision. I've read in some of the disney for adults blogs that a lot of people love the Port Orleans hotel for adults. It looks cute, for sure. Is there a massive difference in the whole quality of stay at the deluxe hotel vs the moderate hotels? The price difference isn't an issue if it really feels worth it.

I personally really like the Contemporary. I dig the aged ultra-modern getup. It is arguably the least "Disney" of all the hotels though and some people don't like the noise/gimmick of the monorail going through the building. That said Port Orleans is my favorite hotel that my family could regularly afford to go to and I think it's swell too. Compared to the Contemporary you'll be walking and waiting on busses a little more, but it also has a pretty chill atmosphere with jazz and stuff and a cozy bar for late night drinks if that's your thing.

There is a discernable difference in the quality of stay at the Deluxe level hotels over moderate, but I wouldn't call it massive so much as a "god is in the details" approach to service. The most obvious difference between your two choices is the themeing and ambiance. Ultimately I think it comes down to asking yourself which you prefer: classy ultra-modern-ish or new orleans-ish. If your answer is the former, consider if you're willing to pay a couple hundred bucks extra a night for it, and a few other perks. If it's the latter, I doubt you'll weep and moan over your loss of easy monorail access and more complimentary soap.

quote:

Also - are there any hotel/room options that give for a big comfy soaker tub? Every bathroom picture at every hotel i've looked at is a piddly 4.5' tub like I have at home. dangit, everyone should have an awesome bathroom on vacation, especially after a long day of zooming around.

Yeaaaah I'm pretty sure you can't get that without shelling out some serious dough for like a cabin or maybe a suite at the Grand Floridian. Even the super-awesome savannah view room I once got at AK Lodge had a standard tub.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Oracle posted:

I'd assume not because Disney, but does the tap water in the resorts stink like typical Florida tap water?

No. Disney Corp did this trick where they presumably bribed the hell out of the local and state governments some decades back, and now they are their own county. It's the Disney Corp itself that is in charge of all utilities, roads, emergency services, building codes, and so on. It's pretty crazy sounding to have a corporation administer local government, but believe it or not Disney has taken its stewardship seriously. Over half the land area inside WDW is permanently zoned for no major construction, so that the local wetlands can remain in a mostly natural state, though of course Disney has installed drainage and the like to keep flooding under control.

Along with that they've obviously ensured that guests don't have to worry about gross tap water or anything. It's an interesting topic, so look up Reedy Creek Improvement District if you'd like to know more about the USA's first step into the cyberpunk future where corporations ARE governments. On with the corporate arcologies woooo!

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

mattfl posted:

Isn't Celebration basically Disney's residential city?

Yeah, but it's a different issue than the fact that the WDW property is governed by the corporation. It isn't part of RCID and is instead an unincorporated town in the greater county. If it was part of RCID, it would mess with the voting scheme they have there where only trusted executives technically "live" in RCID and thus have the only votes that count for anything.

Disney Corp is much less pervasively interconnected with Celebration. It divested most of the control it had over the joint after the initial phases, though it does still operate some utilities in town. It's now run like pretty much any other richie rich burbclave.

On a completely unrelated note, I don't think I'd be able to live there without going insane. It has an intensely surreal stepford wives vibe going on. You know how old sci fi movies always have a really strange, stupid version of the future? Like there are jetpack equipped hula-hooping kids? Celebration is like that except with Americana rather than Future. Someone's demented idea of Perfecton USA circa 1996 with a few thousand people who were convinced to play along. I didn't mind working in an artificially created and aged delusion, but living in one would be another matter entirely.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Malt posted:

I'm thinking of staying at Port Orleans French Quarter later this year.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about it before I book it? It will just be my girlfriend and I going and the only resort I've stayed at previously is Shades of Green.

Port Orleans is nice and the French Quarter section is its coolest section. It's a little more festive and less relaxing than Shades of Green, but still pretty chill in its own right. Enjoy.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Yeah being more compact is one of the things PO has over the other mid-ranged hotels. The Carribean is massive and sprawly by comparison.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I've been a FQ cheerleader this whole thread and I agree. I like almost all the Deluxe resorts, but if you think you can make better use of that 2 grand, FQ is a really cute and cozy joint. The bus rides aren't that much of an additional hassle, and that's a decent chunk of change. When I think about how I'm not really at the hotel very much while at WDW and that I could do a couple of my favorite and most expensive things at the parks for a single night's difference in the prices, the money-grubbing, cheap-rear end side of me that my parents programmed in kicks into high gear.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

kri kri posted:

Thanks for the info about PO FQ. I think I am going to go a couple days earlier to soak up some sun and just hang out before my sister comes on saturday. Is there a good "spa" hotel that is Disney? It doesn't need good access to the parks since I will just be relaxing those days. I am thinking of staying there wed-sat and then moving to PO sat-tues.

Yup, several of the hotels have spa services. I've never used any of them so I can't vouch for quality or price, but here's a list: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/spas/

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Artist Point is one of the best restaurants at WDW for meat-eaters. They do pacific northwest food. Think salmon, crab, steak, and game meats. I had elk for the first time when I was there and it was delicious. It's also somewhat expensive and has a dress code. Totally worth it.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Your answer is good enough for government work. What they want there is an indication that you're valuing the customer's experience and trying to limit the inconvenience.

On the real job you get shitloads of vouchers to hand out in that kind of situation. Ice cream, fast passes, whatever. I even hand-wrote more than a few on standard old fast pass ticket stock. So guests take note: cast members can give you a piece of paper that says "give this person free poo poo" and it works.

Aside from keeping kids occupied to give adults a breather and helping the special needs guests, I found this to be one of the most rewarding aspects of the job. You come across a family who, through no one's fault; is having a lovely day on their super-expensive vacation. Being able to turn that around with a little sympathy and some free greebles is a great feeling.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Roar posted:

NSA forms were (one of) the banes of my existence. They mean well, they really do, but 9/10 times they were never filled in properly and usually didn't follow the rules (this ticket allows this party of fourteen to ride Soarin, also get free drinks too w/e).

Ahahahaha. Guilty as charged. I totally wrote poo poo like that. Never for fourteen though, that's a bit egregious. I also accepted some really... non-traditional ones. I particularly remember one that was written on front desk CS stationary that said something to the effect of "Yeah this kid doesn't look really sick but he is. We couldn't help him out with a handicapped pass, so try making his day plz." I got handed that as greeter 3 at Space Mountain, out front. Just afterward rotation came through and I went inside to "departures", where the trains load and launch. As per the instructions, I took him with me and let him sit down by the overflow exit/wheelchair access while his family waited in line, playing up the whole space airport shtick for the whole 45 minutes I was at the position. He was loving the gently caress out of it and obviously felt really special and catered-to. A manager eventually swung by and asked what was up. I explained, and he gave me a giant thumbs up, told me to make sure the kid stayed off the platform for safety, and hosed off. I had good managers. I was getting slightly nervous as rotation time crept closer, but by the time I left the position the kid's family was in sight and I felt comfortable just telling the next person at the position to keep an eye on him.

quote:

I eventually got to the point where I would just take the stupid tickets no matter what and accept the consequences from my managers if they got mad. They never did.

I never got bitched at for that kind of thing either. It was one of the things I really liked about working there. Once the idiot dump happened in the first month or so and the managers had a record of behavior to look at, they really put a lot of trust in you to make nonstandard moves as long as they are safe and don't ruin the fantasy. Maybe the Tomorrowland managers at the time were just particularly badass, but I've heard many reports from people that worked other areas and in different time periods and I get the same story from most of them: WDW management is really tolerant of its grunt level employees making their own plays as long as they don't break something or someone.

quote:

We routinely get CPs who have never been in the state and know almost nothing about Disney before working here. I'm pretty sure you got brownie points for knowing what you did.

Yeah you definitely get cred for sperging a little about the parks. The names of rides aren't terribly important, but they obviously like seeing people who are enthusiastic about the experience. Looking back on it, I was excited as hell about the opportunity and I'm pretty standard otherwise, so I assume that's what got me my spot on my first choice ride.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Update: Got the job. Moving down in late may/early june. Goodbye arctic New England, hello lava hot Florida.

Congrats and LOL you gonna melt.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Pththya-lyi posted:

I have mentioned my desire to go back to Disney World to my boyfriend, but he is skeptical. He can't imagine how the parks would be enjoyable to an average childless adult. He dislikes crowds and long lines, and while he does enjoy watching the animated movies with me, his tastes are generally cynical. What can Disney offer to someone like him?

Sounds like he might be the kind of person who enjoys EPCOT assuming you go at a less crowded time and he's not too cynical to enjoy the utopian future vibes. The EPCOT shows entertain me more than most of the MK rides these days. Animal Kingdom also has some good shows, and of course there's always Cirque du Soleil if either of you are into that sort of thing. Plus a bunch more in the immediate area.

Does he like dining? They have food there that will send foodies into catatonic bliss. Even their mid-end stuff is pretty dang good and the upper end is fantastic.

I'd say the most important aspect of WDW for adults is the atmosphere, however. Some people don't even hit up the parks, believe it or not. They grab a cabin or a catered couple of suites at the Grand Floridian and have a family gathering. It's all about getting there, being taken care of, and temporarily not having to worry about the usual poo poo. The rides are just diversions.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Rahonavis posted:

I want to see what happens when Universal catches wind of a "Jurassic Park" "Raptor" in every sense (the drat thing makes the same noises) in Disney.

You won't they keep their legal and underworld slap fights hush-hush. It's bad for business otherwise. The poo poo they get up to competing with each other is absolutely brutal though. This one time Universal lured away a bunch of Imagineers with promises of creative control and more money, made them design a theme park, then fired them all. They were then persona non grata at both companies. LOL.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I'm honestly not sure I'd go through with that plan. This is going to be in the middle of your program, right? The hotels are nice and all but not nice enough to pay hundreds of dollars to sleep there when you have a perfectly acceptable apartment a few miles away (that you are also paying for). I'd save the cash and go do symphony for the senses when it happens or something. There are a lot funner ways to blow that money.

That said, if you just want to veg at a hotel for a day or two, I'd say a savannah-view room in the AK lodge would be pretty awesome. Might not be considerably cheaper than that airfare though, even with the discount.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Fromage D Enfer posted:

My husband and I stayed at AKL last summer for our honeymoon and loved it when we were there. They upgraded us to a savannah view and it was amazing. I didn't notice a bug problem at the time.
However, I don't think any of the hotels are really that interesting if all you are going to do is stay in your room. The restaurants at AKL are great, but besides watch giraffes and water buffalo all day, there isn't much else to do. I'd say save your money for when your internship is over and you have to find a new job/ home. Maybe take a day trip to the beach or see Cape Canaveral.

The keys are also nice. You could take that "sitting in a hotel" money and go diving in near-paradise. For a bit longer a drive you could also see Miami, which I never did and somewhat regret.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

After getting stuck on Spaceship Earth and having to walk out and get a good look at how old and rickety it is...

This goes for nearly every ride at MK/EPCOT and quite a few in MGM (which I still call MGM for brevity). It's the nature of the backside of a stage. I was horrified when I found out that the emergency lighting power supply for Space Mountain was a car battery that had drat near welded itself to the floor and the ride control "computer" (using the term extremely loosely) is a 1950s mainframe complete with random blinking lights, programmed in the mother of all evil programming languages, COBOL. Same thing with the haunted mansion, it's awesome to see how they do the tricks but that poo poo is held together by two by fours and crazy glue.

Also you're a lucky SOB I always wanted to see the inside of spaceship earth but never got a chance even while working at WDW.

quote:

The whole future world just needs reworking.

Yeah it really does. It owned when I was a kid but that was 20+ years ago. The "future" stuff for half the pavilions is now standard daily tech. They better not gently caress with the living seas or the world showcase too much though or I'll bitch till I die.

BlueBayou posted:

Am I the only person who likes Beverly?

Yes.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I couldn't imagine evacuating Space Mountain. SE was a bitch- we were at the part where you're almost fully reclined going backwards (where the blue light strings are) and there are stairs to your left but getting to them sucked.

Awww, boo. I'd hoped you'd stopped somewhere interesting like the zenith.

As for evac on space mountain, it was extremely easy for about half the possible brakes for a car to stop on and somewhat worse for the other half. The low sections of track like the light tunnels or really any part of the last quarter of the ride are close to ground level. You get off the car onto a metal platform, walk down some metal stairs, across the concrete that the coaster is bolted to, and up some stairs to the ride exit area.

The higher brake stations were only accessible by a interconnecting maze of catwalks, stairs, ladders, and an elevator. The footing from the car to the platform was always good because the brakes were at set locations, but then you might be 5 stories in the air and have to navigate some interesting paths. If you got stuck at the very top it was a pretty quick and easy trip to the elevator, but midway up or back down could mean stairs and ladders in your way. Unlike open air coasters, the maintenance paths are all pretty fenced in. We had to manually reset brakes in order at at location after a breakdown, and a lot of the guys would just run a whole track in 3-4 minutes. It might sound slightly dangerous but it's really not, the whole thing is a nest of steel with very good footing.

If you want an image, googling "space mountain with the lights on" gives pretty good results. I couldn't find one that illustrated this post perfectly, so seeing a couple might be a little more helpful. Also note how close Metal Things are to the tracks at some points: this won't surprise any previous riders because you can distinctly hear them whizzing past during the ride.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

How much do you weigh?! I've known 250 pound people who have ridden HP with no issues.

Anyway enjoy the WDW job, though the first few days are sort of boring work-wise. I'm interested to see where they stick ya.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I am not much more than that, but almost all the weight is in my belly, which means that the thing can't click properly. Here's to the Florida heat melting me into a puddle and I'll be able to ride it soon.

Yeah that sucks. You can be drat near 300 and still fit in that bitch, as long as your weight is evenly distributed.

Oh well, just don't eat a lot of that Floridian southern style cooking (tasty) garbage and you're definitely gonna lose some pounds without even trying.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I thought Traditions was somewhat creepy but loved seeing the underside of the park for the first time.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Quixotic1 posted:

I wonder if there is a version of shellshock for CMs, as I saw a few thousand yard stares as I was leaving. Now off to the nerd hell scape that will be MGM(I will continue calling it that).

Yes, there totally is. It's one of the reasons you don't see CMs in the parks when it's super crowded, even when they're allowed to be in there. They avoid the parks at those times when not working, because being there at those times can trigger the PTSD. Symptoms include uncontrollably and irrationally helping guests even when you're not working/in uniform, walking around with a clearly pasted on smile and the eyes of a dead man, and 100% complete mental and emotional withdrawal.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Saeku posted:

I remember being at Pleasure Island as a teen, hoping one day I could come back and go to the clubs. Guess that wasn't not in the cards. Any ideas for stuff to appeal to twentysomethings at WDW/Universal? The girl I'm going with and I are both huge Disney buffs and have already done all the behind-the-scenes tours.

Universal's Citywalk still has clubs and of course if you're brave enough to venture downtown there is less touristy nightlife over there. I never liked the downtown scene even when I was living there though.

There are also bars at many WDW resorts that can get lively. There's a rehearsed vibe going on at a lot of them, but when there are enough people around you can ignore the holodeck feel. For example, Port Orleans has a little jazz/blues themed bar that's a bit too clean and quiet to be authentic, particularly when you realize the band is going through the same set of half a dozen songs like a recording. But I've gotten drunk there with my mom no less, and we ended up talking to people from all over the world. If you want a less chill and more frantic atmosphere, there are still places in what's currently left of downtown disney and the larger premium resorts to suit your needs. I forget the name, but the Cuban joint's bar near Cirque du Soleil is always fairly lively.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Got to ride every ride in Fantasyland today while getting paid. Pixie dust is straight pouring out my ears.

Give it time. Soon you will be as dead inside as the rest.

Seriously though I never lost that enthusiasm for the job and it served me well. If you can have fun by helping other people have fun, you're gonna end up getting afforded a lot of opportunities that not everyone gets. Just don't get too high on the PCP, at the end of the day you're working for a business and there is the dead-serious side of the job that you're about to start getting trained in.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Attention: The Cronut ala mode at Epcot is dope as hell.

EPCOT is the best park to chill out in IMO. I used to just sit in the living seas for hours and people/fish watch, then go over to World Showcase and listen to the Taiko drums, eat something tasty, and people-watch more.

Second best park to just chill in is AK, particularly if you can get there very early (which won't happen much for you if CPs are still mostly given late shifts). Many of the animal species on the safari and nature trails are crepuscular just like deer: they are most active around dawn and dusk.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Its going well. Today was my first day 100% without training of any kind and I only effed up royal once (in the first twenty minutes). hooray. (it was in the end not a huge deal, but it was a safety thing so a big deal was made anyway, which makes sense. Lesson learned)

It's cool that happens to everyone just make sure it's clear you took it seriously and corrected the behavior. I'm probably repeating something you've heard already, but you're going to be processing thousands of people a day and slight inattention or error that only fucks up .05% of riders is still gonna get someone hurt sooner rather than later.

I only lecture because I found the safety stuff they make you go through pretty annoying/seemingly pointless until I'd been at the job longer and run the numbers in my head. Make sure as hell your understanding of the safety protocols is drat near airtight then follow them, and you'll be golden.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

You gotta love that golden moment in time like ten minutes after any given summer shower where the sky is clear, the pavement is already completely dry, and the air is steamy enough for a dinosaur movie set.

That's the most insidious thing about rain there. You think it will cool you down and it does, right up until it turns everything into an open-air sauna.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Also they're all fat as hell and insist on screaming and demanding "pooh-sized" rights/rides. Disboards should be sponsored by rascal. And I'm saying that as a fat person.

I got my towering hatred for and disdain of fat people while working at WDW. You get a pass for being a goon, so we're cool; but only like 1 out of 20 fat people you have to deal with there are normal people. There's nothing quite like getting accosted by the Screaming Pale Jelly Slug Men/Women of Kathmandu while you're on the job there and can't defend yourself.

I got 5-year-old-esque screaming temper tantrums pulled on me 4-5 times during my stay there and it was ALWAYS One Of Those People.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Pththya-lyi posted:

FYI, that's eight scoops of ice cream, a full can's worth of whipped cream, and a heaping helping of every other sundae topping they have in the restaurant.:btroll:

EDIT: Here is a recipe in case you want to create this monstrosity in your very own home!

Haha can you imagine that garbage fermenting in your stomach on a nice balmy 105 degree day? Sounds like a recipe for puke, no thanks.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

"I ate three scoops of ice cream out of this clunky plastic nightmare, go me!"

In other news, Epcot rules. I had a spectacular dinner at Teppan Edo and then ate far too much sugary junk while waiting for fireworks. I also rode Spaceship Earth for the first time.

Teppan Edo owns. When I was there, they didn't have any kinda employee discount on the food there so it was kinda expensive, but whenever I rolled there solo, they'd sit my down with another group that was always thrilled to be speaking to an off-duty cast member. This one dude and he wife once practically ignored the rest of their party to grill me over Secret Disney Techniques. I liked telling people the easier ways to get things done there, the hidden gems and so forth, so it didn't bother me at all. In fact it made me feel appreciated and led to a very entertaining dinner. They meanwhile obviously thought they hit the motherlode of Disney info, hahahaha.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I've never even heard of Falcon Square. Holy poo poo, it looks a HELL of a lot nicer that Vista Lay but it's out in the rear end end of nowhere.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Skeezy posted:

I remember the CP buses being a pain in the rear end. Apparently it was annoying enough that a couple CP's would ask me to pick them up if our shifts fell on the same times.

For me it was all about not having to wake up 30 minutes earlier after a long rear end night. You can sit around and wait for/on a bus for 30-40 minutes or drive to your park in ten. If you're already used to riding buses because you come from a city with decent public transportation infrastructure, it's fine.

Problem is, it's retarded to not bring a car if you own one. Orlando is not a non-car-owning-person friendly city to live in, and as a CP you live dead center in the outskirts, Touristville. You gotta drive a few minutes just to get to a reasonable grocery store, because shopping at Gooding's is a recipe for bankruptcy.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Eeeew you ride the bus? It's one of those things that strikes me as fine in theory, but pretty annoying in reality. Condolences.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

101, evacuate pooh erryday.

Grats. I was once in the control tower at Space Mountain when there was a main lift issue and I had to shut it down. I was immediately rotated out into the greeter position to get yelled at for the decision by pissed off guests. Harsh.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Nah, we luckily only had fire alarms go off while I was there when the joint was nearly empty. I went through two or three but none of those instances was very stressful.

That "SHUT IT DOWN! SHUT IT DOWN FOREVE.... WHOOPS I'M GREETER NOW" instance was the worst thing that happened to me there. (Video recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ZSDCvUwN8)

This fat lady wouldn't stop screaming at me and got even shriller when one of my coworkers came by and was like, "noice breakin' down the ride dawg I heard they gotta get maintenance to check the main lift chain and its gonna be like two hours. Good call, mang." and she realized that I was in fact personally responsible for her day, disney vacation, year, and life being RUINED by this.

I was seriously about to tear off her face and feed it back to her then get fired for doing so when my favorite manager became psychically aware of the situation and came out to save my rear end. I've never taken being yelled/screamed at well. By the time he arrived, I was right up in that lady's face, probably beet red with fury, and about to say something very, very rude. He was like, "Whoa it's getting a bit hot out here. Good job keeping this under control Nathilus, sorry we left you hanging so long. Go hit up the break room and rest a few minutes." I shot him a look of pure thankfulness as he shot me a look that told me he knew I had been within an inch of being fired, and suddenly everything was all good.

There was a beneficial side-effect though. After that I really felt like part of the team more than ever and also was pretty confident in my management team havin' my back even when it wasn't my best and proudest day on the job. I never got so hot under the collar again (no one tried to yell at me for 40 minutes straight again after that), but management never failed me either. Obviously the on the ground managers are there to ensure things run smoothly, not to babysit pissy CPs; but the Tomorrowland management crew at the time, at least, seemed to genuinely care about us lowly ops jerks and went the extra mile to make us happy when possible.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 29, 2014

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Just gonna say it again. Party for the Senses owns. If you can afford to, definitely do it. If you like food. Or booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

That is awesome. I'd pimp that poo poo for the rest of my life and probably make up war stories about how horrible/awesome working the ride at the very beginning was.