Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

If you have Disney+, I recommend The Imagineering Story. There's also a book, but these are both official Disney productions, so they don't exactly have a critical view on WDW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Bottom Liner posted:

maybe the person that can barely type coherent sentences isn't a great source for the great threats facing disney

I think the fifth image is wrong; it lists Runaway Railway as Magic Kingdom, should be under Hollywood Studios. The other thing about that list, the only Magic Kingdom updates were fireworks shows and Friendship Faire. Tron is definitely needed. But yeah, tons of stuff over the past six years at every other park.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

BDawg posted:

Maybe so. I’ve stayed at both and remember lots of bus stops.

POFQ has one bus stop, Riverside has four. I've stayed twice at POR, both times in the mansion section, so I caught the bus at the main building and never had a problem, but I think if you stay in the other buildings it can be a bit of a hassle

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

It's a bit more than that. The RCID board will instead be run by appointees of the governor, and no one who has worked at a theme park during the previous three years can serve on it (vs. being solely run by Disney people since inception), and somehow (*magic*) Disney will pay the $1B debt

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

CapnAndy posted:

The one advantage that Christmas does have is that when Elsa "freezes" the castle, that is gorgeous. But she does that every night, not just during the parties.

And the 'snow' on Main Street

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Braksgirl posted:

The park reservation system stops something like January 8. So that wish will be granted.

Not quite for us Passholders. We can visit after 2PM without a reservation (except for MK on weekends), and they'll do 'good to go' days where we won't need them at all. Not sure how frequent that will be, but I'm sure there will be times we will still need to make a reservation.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Worst part of the adults-only section on the Wish:

"Ayuck, ya made it! Please stand up, and exit to the right!"

Every. loving. 30. Seconds.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Wine Bar George also has a downstairs bar with around 15 seats, and an upstairs bar with maybe 7 seats

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We went to Epcot for some F&W on Saturday and it was too hot to eat, sweat was just pouring down from our faces. Truly awful

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We cruised on the Wish in April, and yeah, I thought World of Marvel was garbage. Story makes no sense, terrible character interaction, etc. I wish they would have gone with Coco/Moana/1923 for the three rotational dinner venues. I also very much wish they could have done something to address the adult "pool" section, but I get that that's impractical at this point.

Gonna cruise on the Fantasy to see what the others are like

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

You fix Carousel of Progress by bringing back the missing daughter damnit

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

CapnAndy posted:

They are not inside the parks, but they are inside Disney World. Disney World is a vast swath of land bigger than the island of Manhattan. It has four theme parks on it, a great many hotels, some golf courses, and a huge amount of undeveloped space. It's hard to visualize, so:

The area I circled is roughly what Disney owns, I think. The arrows are pointing at the theme parks. Your hotel will be somewhere in there; close to some of the parks, not so close to others.

Way to cede Horizon High and half of Watermark Terrace to Disney

I kid, I kid

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Doronin posted:

I just got off the Disney Fantasy, third time on that ship. Sitting here at MCO waiting to board, but I'll write a trip review tomorrow or Monday.

Overall, amazing cruise as usual but started out with one of the worst group of other passengers I've ever had on one. Also way too many parents who clearly wanted absolutely nothing to do with their kids, which made it a lot of other people's problem.

Looking forward to your trip report, we're doing the Fantasy in three weeks

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Doronin posted:

However, Tortola's options are basically -- 1) a beach!, 2) ziplines, 3) ATV/car tours. Not much variety that I've found yet. My inlaws traveled with us and ended up staying on the ship and they never felt like they missed anything.

We're on an upcoming Fantasy sailing in two weeks, and my wife booked the zipline excursion....I'm not sure about that, so I booked 30 minutes on the golf sim just in case.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I will never, ever forgive Cedar Fair for Geauga Lake

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Keeping a close eye on the weather for tomorrow's half, looks like it could get interesting

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I dunno, I've had friends hand me a mimosa right before the finish line of a half before. Strangers, no. But at Disney, depending on what time you're coming through, some of the kiosks may be open and you can grab one yourself. I know for Marathon Sunday Regal Eagle and Yak and Yeti will both be opening earlier than usual for runners

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Grundulum posted:

Seven hours for a marathon? This is making me want to try the “four races in four days” thing (the Dopey?), just to be able to say I did it and for the experience of wandering through the parks in that manner. I’m sure by the end of day 3 I would be regretting the decision, but again: seven hours for a marathon, which is almost walking pace as previously stated.

I'm a multi-time marathoner, and I did Dopey in 2018.

The distance is not the biggest issue. It's the early wake-ups four straight days. Disney races start super early (depending on the race weekend, could be 5AM, 5:30AM, or 6AM), which requires a wake-up time of between 2AM and 3AM. For four straight days. While running a 5k/10k/half marathon/full marathon. If you don't go hard in the parks, and rest up, you can do it. If you take every race very easy, you can do it. We actually felt better after the full for Dopey than we did for the MCM/Chicago/NYC marathons because of how easy we took it all, but it still takes a toll.

When it comes to 'seven hours' that depends a bit. My suggestion would be to get a decent proof of time by running a solid 10k or half marathon so you aren't in the last corral. The 16 minute per mile pace is really for the balloon ladies, so if you're before them, you have more time to run; stay ahead of them and you won't get swept.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Hardest part of Dopey isn't the 48.6 miles. It's waking up at 2-2:30AM for four straight days. And trying to avoid being on your feet too much after each race.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Walking to recover, yes. Hitting up the parks like one normally would, no.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Aphrodite posted:

One time in the last couple of years one of the festivals had a plate that was just a piece of cheese grilled and covered in honey. That was the best thing there.

It's at the Greece kiosk during Food & Wine, griddled cheese with pistachio and honey

Omne fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 15, 2024

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Quixotic1 posted:

Federal lawsuit is still in play I believe.

The appeal is on hold while they go through the negotiations to the comprehensive plan.

Craptacular! posted:

Every ten years they release a Site Plan that lists areas Disney does and does not intend to develop over the coming decade. By agreeing to the 2020 site plan, Disney secures an agreement on how the land is to be used until 2030, by which point DeSantis will be gone.

Basically, Disney will remain a force in Florida longer than DeSantis and his allies will, as we all expected.

First, it allows the board to make changes to the 2020 plan (article doesn't specify whether Disney has to agree to the changes). Second....do you really think DeSantis' successor will be any better?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Haunted Mansion would be the perfect transition between lighthearted/kid-friendly Fantasyland and a scary villains-themed land.

But also, which villains would get their own attractions? The last true villain was what, Dr. Facilier? The last few movies haven't had traditional villains like Cruella, Jafar, Scar, Hades, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

DC Murderverse posted:

It wasn’t its status as a resort restaurant, it’s just that Michelin didn’t do their full guide with stars for Florida before this year. In the US they generally stuck to the major cities (LA/NY/Chicago) until recently.

Michelin has been awarding stars in Florida for three years now. V&A wasn't open the first year of the Florida guide, didn't get one last year, and did this year