Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Douchebag posted:

I think it's related to the merger in 1996 creating the Disney ABC group or something. Espn is also a go.com site and owned by ABC.

The funny thing about the websites. That this includes the new armband system, and Fastpass+. Collectively called the Next Generation Experience or NGE.

The amazing thing is that Disney has blown around 2.5 billion on these new systems that basically force you to plan out your entire trip and don't work. And this (among other reasons) is why Disney hasn't added any major attractions since Everest, why Pleasure Island (until very recently, and that's just demo work for the new Disney Springs mall like area) has been closed for 5 years without anything, and Epcot's future world is so dated. As a local to Orlando ever since 9/11 Disney's gone fairly stagnant (except for timeshares and hotels).

A few minor things have been added like New Fantasy Land, and the test track redo. But it's taking them way too long to add things, New Fantasyland is still unfinished. It seems like there are some very deep issues high up there right now.

It's still overall great, but the last 10 years or so haven't seen much at all change on the attraction side (Besides meet and greets). Universal is expanding like a crazy madman right now though, and probably will the rest of the decade with two or more major new things opening up every year for the foreseeable future.

So hopefully Disney can shake that funk soon, although they are still moving at below glacial speed on all the rumored new things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

warheadr posted:

We're really just focused on Islands of Adventure so I'm thinking a one-day pass for us there, and we also want to do the Universal Halloween nights thing which I hear is pretty awesome, so another ticket price on top of our park ticket for that.

So I'm wondering if there are any good tips or rules to follow for Universal tickets? I'm guessing for one day it's pretty much just buy the ticket and pay the price the park charges online.

If you've got a horror nights ticket and a regular day ticket I'd strongly recommend going to the holding area (I think for IOA its by One Fish Blue Fish in Suess Landing) right around 5PM, this will get you in a bit earlier than the crowd waiting at the gate so you'll be able to do more there. Be aware, horror nights gets extremely crowded, so using the early entry is highly recommended. Only some of the rides will be open though since the main focus is the houses (and the Bill & Ted show is a good break), Transformers and despicable me will probably have a huge wait. (Single riders on Transformers if you don't mind splitting it up). On the flip side the daytime should be fairly light crowd wise in comparison.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

demonR6 posted:

Amen. Miserable heat, overcrowding.. We don't go much during summer except for later evenings and for a couple of hours.

This is true, the good weather days are much better. Although I haven't had a Disney pass in a few years now, we do go occasionally with cast member friends main gates, but not often. Honestly, for locals, the Universal AP is a much better deal and they are adding attractions and other new things much more rapidly than Disney (seems like every time I go there is something new) and the special events are fairly frequent (Mardi Gras, Christmas, Horror Nights, etc). Ideally, I'd do both, but it's a bit too much for Disney without much new in the parks for a longer term resident (I've been in Orlando since 2000). If you are just moving in it's probably worth it, though.

As far as blackout dates for the lower end passes (at any of the parks), you really don't want to go when the blackout days are. Especially after enjoying the slower seasons. Going the week after Christmas is absolute insanity at all parks.

A big recommendation, we generally get one upper tier pass (for parking, and any discounts), and the cheaper one for anyone else.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 24, 2013

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Florida AP's went up $40, which is a bit wracking, considering the lack of anything new in the last two years or so and Hollywood Studio's back half being closed with nothing officially announced to replace any of it. All the in park additions being rumored aren't going to be there for 3-5 years, so it's really hard to justify it right now. (For someone who's done it enough)

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Just a heads up, Pirates of the Caribbean will be closed starting on May 11th and likely to reopen on September 26th. The ride needs this refurb badly, the newer boats there (along with several other things on the ride) have been a huge nightmare according to a few cast-member friends.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Universal announced the new Kong ride today for next summer in 2016. The building is massive and looks awesome now,. http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/reign-of-kong/

Reading around on it, it seems to be the creative "reward" for Harry Potter, and not primary screen based like most of the recent attractions there. Indoor/Outdoor parts and a large vehicle with crazy crap there. Probably the closest thing to the Indiana Jones ride on the east coast (but larger scale). It's based on the Peter Jackson Kong and the new Skull Island film coming in a few years. And other than some elements for it in a single scene, completely different than the Hollywood one.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

mattfl posted:

Oh weird, all the local orlando news stations are acting as if it's a done deal for the Orlando park.

It pretty much is a done deal for Orlando. It was the Universal office in Orlando that did the initial press release. (Note I live literally a half mile from Universal) It's going to replace the KidZone area in the studios park and the adjacent unbuilt area to that. ET will be the only thing left, the rest of it is going to be completely redone to the level of Harry Potter. It could wind up being a bigger deal for the park than Harry Potter.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Dates I've heard (via local construction talk). Star Wars not fully complete until fall 2021 (parts may open a year or so early). Disneyland will probably get it first. The new Toy Story area around 2018. Modern Disney World likes to space out construction to fit in fiscal years and not blow budgets, and this tends to make it take longer than normal. But Frozen and new film at Soarin next year (Frozen is going to be a cluster as capacity for that ride is the lowest in Epcot) Pandora the world of Avatar at Animal Kingdom in 2017, although the boat ride may not open up with the land. And the Rivers of Light nighttime show at Animal Kingdom.

The Hulk at Islands of Adventure is going down for a major refurb starting Sep 8th, and will come back up around May (Roughly the same time King Kong opens up) -- It's staying Hulk, but it's going to be redone potter with level theming (new queue and full A/C enclosed), new trains, new launch system, portions of the track reworked -- back half of the ride in particular, (After Hulk is done expect other parts of Marvel to get upgraded/replaced as well, Dr. Doom is probably next after Hulk is done and that may wind up turning into Avengers and a completely different ride) Universal has more big things coming up that really haven't been talked about yet. (Nintendo is only a part of it)

Atricks fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 17, 2015

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Horror Nights is really good this year, only huge negative is the crowds. They added one more house than usual this year and opened up Diagon Alley which gave them more capacity (except most people are in the lines not in Diagon Alley) so I think they were at levels they would have closed the park at last year if it weren't for the added space of Diagon. I think they need to just limit the event much better instead of trying to expand capacity in ways like that. Tonight and Tomorrow should be very light compared to the last several weeks though. So now may be the best time to go.

I saw three people taken away by security/cops (different people at different times) the other night. They seemed more on the ball after those stories got out (it's not like its the first year they happened, just first time I've seen actual news stories about it). They were hyper sensitive about underage drinking because alchohol sales got stopped for a week several years ago because of it. Horror nights in California doesn't even sell alcohol.

You only have today and tomorrow to see the best "I don't give a gently caress" performance of all time from Bill Paxton in the Twister ride. It's last day is tomorrow. It's closing for "Race through New York with Jimmy Fallon." THere's a lot of new stuff opening up next year and 2017. The completely redone Hulk, Kong, Fast and Furious, the New Waterpark, Hotel, new expanded Cabana Bay, and Jimmy Fallow (Plus one other thing that hasn't been announced). So it's pretty busy there.

Nintendo and especially Mario Kart is coming after that. Think full scale Interactive/controllable "Test Track" with augemented reality windshields.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 31, 2015

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
I wouldn't call Universal a coaster park by any stretch. It has a few, but the rides like Spiderman, Transformers, Men In Black, Simpsons, Jurassic Park are very good. Popeye is best in class for that type of ride. The King Kong ride is probably going to be the best ride in Orlando based on what they are attempting. They do open new rides pretty quick, but compared to what Disney let happen to Hollywood Studios (which just now slowly.... changing) and Future World at Epcot, I'd take that any day.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 1, 2016

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Griigott's is tamer than the Forbidden Journey ride. As mentioned really only the short drop and tame launch at the end barely qualify it as a coaster. Hulk, Dragons, Rockit are the only serious coasters there. Mummy, Gringotts, and the two kiddie coasters are relatively mild (with Mummy being the only thing close to not mild, the rest are very very mild). Sounds like you did a quick tour and missed a lot since there are way more non-coaster rides there. Much of the rest is partially or mostly screen based. Men in Black, Cat in the Hat, and ET are all pure classic dark rides. Spiderman, Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, Transformers are hybrids. Despicable Me and Simpsons are pure simulators (Fallon will be very similar to Soarin or the Soarin+ coming to Avatar). The water rides all have a "best in class" for their type feel. Popeye is probably the best raft ride anywhere, Ripsaw falls has the biggest drop (although the rest of it isn't as good as splash), and Jurassic Park has the T-Rex.

Kong is going to be a hybrid, and so is Fast and Furious. I think the rumored avengers replacement for Dr. Doom is also going to be a hybrid, but more intense than usual. Interestingly Nintendo area coming will likely not include many screens at all (and a few that will will likely be augmented reality heads up displays). There's other stuff coming (including the water park and a 3rd new park eventually on a large tract of land they acquired last month. Fantastic Beasts is probably also going to drive another Potter expansion. Universal is being very aggressive about building up the parks. The hotels are all great too, Cabana is a Moderate at value prices, and the rest would be considered deluxes at Disney. I would never recommend a short day trip to Universal just to see potter since you wind up missing so much of it.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 1, 2016

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
That Walmart on Turkey Lake (#3) is just crazy, it's by I-Drive and halfway between Disney and just slightly closer to Universal. It's crazy not so much in a dangerous way, but 85% of the people there are from out of town and completely clueless. Which always makes it a complete crazy madhouse. We avoid it when possible (although we're in the Dr. Phillips area about halfway between #3 and #1) #11 is even worse than #3.

If I had to choose between 11 or 3, I'd pick 3 since its in a better area. (I'd still avoid both, though)

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
It looks like the new Rivers of light show at Animal Kingdom won't happen at all this summer, if not this year based on the media reports today. They may have a standin show using some of the elements they did get working in the Summer, but it won't be what they advertised by any stretch.

Outside of Disney, Mako, Kong, and the Hulk rebuild will make June. Back at Disney, the Frozen retheme of maelstrom will probably still make June, and it looks like Soarin won't reopen until after Shanghai Disneyland opens.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Abu Dave posted:

Whats it like down there today? Pretty subdued i'd imagine?

They closed Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey over at Universal early when word got out one of the team members on it was one of the ones killed. (Luis Vielma)

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

BlueBayou posted:

My father and I got into a huge argument tonight over dinner about whether or not Disney should be held accountable.

At first he argued that Disney should have killed all gators on property, but he soon moved on to saying that this was easily foreseeable and there should be a huge fence. And that they should shut down Peter Pan for a while

._.

Fences won't help either unless you want the place looking like a prison, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qp_bUYPrTg

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Yeah this past holiday weekend was nothing compared to even last year, at all of the parks. Universal and Disney included. MK didn't even phase close like they have done for the past 14 or 15 years or so on the 4th.

I'm sure food & wine and the Halloween events will still be crowded (and Christmas), but man have things shifted in the last few years. I suspect a bunch of discount programs coming up. General trend is all the Orlando parks have seen less than last year, but Disney in particular has seen an extreme drop (15-30%?)

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
The overhauled Incredible Hulk Coaster reopened last night at Islands of Adventure over at Universal for softs, and is grand opening Thursday. This thing is completely awesome at night.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Bottom Liner posted:

They certainly have been on a roll since Harry Potter. I know a lot of people criticize their overuse of 4d stuff, but I think they have a unique niche in theme parks and noone else does it as well as Universal. That said, everything since HP has been a one-off so I wonder what their next big plans are (aside from more HP).

Announced?

This year they are starting a new Christmas thing for Harry Potter his year (including a Hogwarts castle projection nighttime show), and the amazing looking Volcano Bay water park.

The fast and Furious Ride next year. And Nintendo land. (And two new hotels, one of which is under construction right now, and the the other is going on the site of the old Wet'n Wild water park, which they are in the process of tearing down right now.

The big future one is Super Nintendo Land though. (No real details other than it's going to be potter level big and oddly not screen based)

Unannounced rumors? Dragon Challenge coaster going to be replaced with another 1 or 2 potter/fantastic beasts attractions. A new Marvel island attraction. Maybe a secret life of Pets attraction, something new in in Jurassic Park.
Big rumor though is a 3rd (and maybe 4th) theme park -- not the water park -- on a bunch of land next they acquired south of the main park.

My guess is they are holding back on a ton of announcements until after the water park is completed.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Volcano bay is looking amazing, BTW. I drive by it every day and they are furiously working on it to finish it up by May 25th. I've seen them run the waterfalls off the mountain and the whole place just works, I may be a bit biased since I live close enough to ride a bicycle to it (or walk 2 miles)

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Universal dropped a teaser for Super Nintendo World today (Japan time) for Japan, it's opening in Orlando shortly after Japan (2020 before the olympics start), and a smaller version in Hollywood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKCqJ8llKuA

They had a groundbreaking ceremony for it today also, mentioned
- The land is budgeted for $60 billion yen ($550million) being t one of the most expensive theme park lands ever created.
- It is opening in Osaka Japan in 2020.
- The main attraction will be a Mario Kart attraction.
- The technology used in it will be the “world’s most advanced technology”.
- The land will feature shops, restaurants and other rides.
- The area in Japan will be two stories tall.
- Super Nintendo World is being built in part of the park’s parking lot.
- The area is promoted as being “very interactive”
- Bowser’s Castle (Main baddy in the Mario Games) and Princess Peach’s Castle will both be built.
- There are other things unannounced (It's not just mario), DK Mine cart ride, etc.

As for Morimoto's I have bad luck both times I've been (the week after it opened and 6 months later), hope its better now.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

SteelMentor posted:

Eating at the parks has been a big concern for me. My family's adventurous but very picky with the quality of food and I'd rather not hear them bitch for the entire vacation because they had one bad burger somewhere.

Any recommendations for sit down places? Particularly at Universal, we were outright told not to eat anywhere there outside of Citywalk.

Most of the restaurants at Citywalk are pretty good, the Chocolate Emporium and Cowfish seems to be the best, Vivo is pretty good and less busy than the others.

In Park sit down at Universal there's Finnegan's (across from Mummy) and Lombards. Of the two I probably prefer Finnegan's (It has the best in park bar inside the parks too) and the food is pretty good. On the Islands side there's Mythos and Confisco's, of the two Mythos is pretty good and a really cool interior, the daily specials are usually great. The two good things about the in park sit down restaurants in Universal is they (usually) don't have much of a wait (Mythos is probably the busiest) and that is the cost is VERY reasonable (barely more than the quick service places and much better food). Finnegan's is our go to spot if we're too bothered to go to Citywalk, and the place is a massive chill hangout during Horror Nights (The bar there is awesome for it).

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Here's a good video about the 4 different water parks in Orlando (brand new) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to0TLo6ysGA

It's a pretty good summary, although I do have to caution Volcano Bay is hitting capacity super early (like minutes after opening) nearly every day the last two weeks or so (being new and not at 100% yet). But that youtube channel is probably the best quick summary of all the new park stuff in Orlando anywhere. I met Tim there at Volcano Bay one day, so I may be a bit biased. But it's a really drat good way to get an honest opinion about everything in town.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Both Universe of Energy and the Great Movie Ride Close August 13, 2017.

The Mickey and Minnies' Runaway Railway (Replacing the movie ride) opens sometime in early 2019.

The replacement for Universe of Energy is something that contains "Adventures with the Guardians of the Galaxy" (mentioned as such because of hte legal minefield with the Universal Marvel Contract) which based on the amount of land in the permits for the area is probably going to be a coaster. Rumored opening for that is (no joke) 2021. The space restaurant is going to be attached to mission space.

Innoventions in Epcot (both sides) are going bye bye, demolishing with mostly greenery replacing them. It's like they just flat out gave up on these buildings, heck they called it the "Front Part of Epcot" and World Showcase in the presentation, probably indicating the name Future World is going away. All this should be done for the 50th anniversary. There may be some unannounced stuff in the area, but probably nothing major.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2017/...-overhaul-much/

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Nanigans posted:

So there’s no chance the Marvel stuff is coming to Orlando?

Nope, Universal holds all the cards in Orlando. (And they can't even use the name Marvel in the land or attraction name in California Adventure). There are a few exceptions based on Characters Universal doesn't have rights to (Dr. Strange, and Guardians for one)

As for what characters Uni does have rights to, across from the Spiderman ride (Which is still one of the best rides anywhere) is a circular spike looking "meteor crash site" with shards with various characters represented on it. Every character Universal has rights to is there, including Black Panther. (Guardians and Strange aren't there)

Atricks fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 28, 2018

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Universal has a real lovely loophole which is that in the middle of Marvel Superhero Island are these yellow spike pillars that are covered in character pictures. Whenever Disney finds something they think isn't in the area, Universal usually goes "It's on the pillar, means we have the rights" and Doctor Strange was one of those, hence why he vanished very quickly after the movie left theaters. They couldn't even advertise showtimes. Those pillars are also why a Wakanda/Black Panther land is unlikely.

Guardians on the other hand do not appear anywhere in the land, because nobody gave much of a poo poo about the Guardians before the movie, so Disney has them over a barrel on that one, but they can't call it Marvel's Guardians (and I am told they may not be able to use the Guardians title at all, but I dunno how true that is)

Yep, this thing https://www.google.com/maps/@28.4708291,-81.4700782,2a,75y,127.03h,85.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seIOU4CqHG5K-_R0QWZNYGA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Cais posted:

Ugh I'm so drat excited for that house. But you know it's going to be the one you have to do asap or it'll have a three hour line.

For Orlando, very early in the run (like the first week or two) is slightly less crowded, toward Halloween it gets worse. It's usually stupidly crowded, but this house will just throw gas onto the fire. The express pass helps, but that only guarantees half the wait of the regular line. Getting there early (or hanging out in the park in the day before it closes for HHN in the bar across from Mummy) may get you an advantage too.

The VIP Tours for Halloween (aka RIP tour) skips all that and is even better than express, true front of the line, but they are expensive. If you only have one night, do that if you can afford it.

The onsite hotels also fill up early (even the brand new one that opens in August, Aventura, is already getting fairly booked up)

Atricks fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 4, 2018

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

SteelMentor posted:

Universal's 3D simulator fetish is getting embarrassing at this point.

Supposedly, Fast & Furious is the last screen heavy one (Although the tunnel effect at the start of the ride is pretty cool). The new potter coaster for next year looks like a mix of indoor and outdoor scenes that should be pretty long since it's one coaster replacing two dragon coasters at the old spot.

The nintendo stuff shouldn't be screen heavy (believe it or not) either. Conversely a lot of Disney's new big stuff coming is screen heavy (Flight of Passage, Both Star Wars rides, Ratatouille, and the Mickey train Ride are all screen based) So one fetish is just moving down the road a bit. The coasters won't be though at least.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 19, 2018

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

TV Zombie posted:

huh. ok. Then I gotta wonder why they didn't do this earlier because I was watching a Korean Variety show and they showed Disney Hong Kong and they had Toy Story Land already. Are Disneylands in other countries have attractions that Disneyland will consider putting California and Florida if they are successful over there?

A lot of people wondered this as well, they added so very little to the parks for the past 15 years or so (Future world at epcot need to be overhauled 10 years ago and still hasn't been) to the point any minor addition is slammed because folks are starved for something new. Only very recently has that started to change, and even with Star Wars DHS has not enough to do because it'll be uncomfortably slammed once it opens for a good while after that.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 26, 2018

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

chitoryu12 posted:

Roddy has been sort of an open secret. He was defended for a long time by his position at Universal and only got forced out (in the typical "We'll give you money to quit" firing they do to people they don't want to fire) after he messed with a very important exec's wife or daughter. He's even banned from SeaWorld and Busch Gardens property, but Disney has been hanging onto him and ignoring any accusations. He's also involved in local theatre and finding targets there too.

Hopefully we'll be able to blow the case wide open in the local news and finally force a response. His loudest accuser (who made the initial contact with the journalist about it) has started carrying pepper spray because of how violently angry he can be.

Roddy did the Guardians of the Galaxy Live show they are doing in Epcot this summer, has a wife and two young adult daughters (one of which is a singer in the Hogwarts frog choir at Universal)

With knowing how screwed up some of the folks involved in the actor/live entertainment in Orlando are it'd be impossible to know who to believe on something like this, unfortunately. He wouldn't be the only one. Roddy was and still is involved in a LOT of the fan favorite live shows or events at Universal and Disney, and I think is working on a lot of stuff for the live entertainment side of Star Wars Galaxies Edge. He was quietly dropped off Universal in 2010. He's one of the principals for the Jaws documentary on the Jaws Blue Ray Disc also (The Shark is Still Working) I'd always assumed it was for drinking on the job too much (whenever I saw him at horror nights he was in Finnegan's bar inside Universal drinking), but granted don't know anything personally about any of it.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 29, 2018

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Are they switching over to the new tiered ticketing system today or this weekend? Ticketing site is down for an update. And man is the new system convoluted as all hell.

Parking also went up $3, and AP Prices/renewals are $40 higher (Gold is only $20 higher).

Atricks fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 16, 2018

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Empress Brosephine posted:

Have any of you guys been to Disney springs lately none of the sites ever cover construction there and I wanted to know if they e started work on cirque and nba experience yet

Check this often:

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Bottom Liner posted:

Not sure how the licensing plays out but if they don't do Pokemon they're bonkers. I know it was rumored but was it confirmed?

give me a Pokemon snap ride you cowards

You may want to watch this then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_1tgldOW0k&t=1568s at about 26 minutes in. It is strongly rumored that the main Nintendo world will be at the new park, but there will be other Nintendo things at the existing parks.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Cabana Bay is amazing also. Universals hotels are better than Disney’s thematically imho.

Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, Cabana, Sapphire and Portofino are all very drat nice hotels, better than the majority of Disney's (I like Royal Pacific better than the Poly personally, but Poly has the location).

Also they put up work walls today for a new roller coaster in the Jurassic Park area of Islands of Adventure today, probably for late 2020 opening. (It's all new, and not replacing anything)

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Universal added Guy Diamond from the Trolls movie to the park this week, and no joke, he farts glitter. Saw it for myself this weekend. They come out by E.T., but I'm wondering how long the glitter thing will last.

-- bit about it here https://attractionsmagazine.com/naked-glitter-farting-troll-at-universal/

https://twitter.com/Attractions/status/1092194434010230785

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Would it be wise to go to one of the non Hollywood studios parks on Star Wars day or near by or will they likely be slammed also?

I'd gather it would still be busy with everyone bailing that may have originally wanted to go to Hollywood studios but either didn't want star wars or just can't get in.

Usually the last week of August is one of the slowest of the year (like legit slow, even at Magic Kingdom). But this will really mix it up from the norms, and the typical slowness may be a good reason why they chose that date. It does look like everything at Disney and Universal hotel wise was very booked up for around then (Which is EXTREMELY unusual and they had plenty of space before the announcement), so my guess is all of the Orlando parks (even outside of Disney) will be much busier than usual that time of year. It will create overflow issues.

If you are actually trying to get to hollywood studios on the opening date, best bet is probably to get let off at the boardwalk hotel and walk it. The main entrance will likely be a cluster and roads gridlocked.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 20, 2019

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Omne posted:

Where would the Disney-based station go?

The original Florida Highspeed Rail plans (which never happened) had it right at the end of 417 where it meets up with I-4. Basically the south side of 192 across from where Disney's Wide World of Sports is (But probably closer to World Drive than 192 -- Other side of I-4 from where the DVC HQ Offices in Celebration are). And it would eventually carry westward onward to Tampa from there along I-4.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 7, 2019

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
This guy on Twitter is insane https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct There's Aerials of Star Wars at Disneyland in Anaheim (With people in the land, either filming or cast members) taken several hours after construction Aerials at Universal Orlando. The Star Wars land shots look freaking amazing. The guy gets around, and is obsessed with taking construction/update photography in the parks. They are letting Disneyland cast members ride Smuggler's Run as of yesterday.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 8, 2019

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

couldcareless posted:

Does Hagrid's just have the worst throughput imaginable or is that article just total hyperbole? 10 hours for a new ride is absurd, FoP can only do about 1500 an hour and even on opening day for that I don't think it was this bad.

Hagrid's has really great throughput (up to 10 trains), it's more the weather--lots of pop up storms-- and just sheer number of people that showed up. Waits are down to 6 hours now. They do have entertainment in the spillover (DJs)queue line that runs to the front of the park (I think it shrank back to Suess now) and are giving out water to those waiting in line. Warwick Davis was walking along saying hello to folks waiting also today. They have had a few weird technical quirks, like a rollback at one of the launches (thankfully the ride recovers from those pretty well though).

The ride itself is just flat out fun.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 13, 2019

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
The Hagrid line is again back to the front of the park. I drive by the park on the way out to work, and the road into the garage was backed up around 8:30. From ops people I know that were working the ride, they actually didn't have too bad a problem yesterday (technically just one guest issue that caused them to stop), just storms.

Although they are getting a late start to the ride this morning. (It won't be up for another 30 minutes) It's just stupid amounts of people that showed up. Yesterday people were parked at the parking toll booths at 2am... It'll probably be like this for days unfortunately.

If this is any indication of how Star Wars will be once the reservation system is gone (or in Florida), just hell no.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Hagrid opened with an 8 hour wait again today, with people showing up before 5am, still and the ride opened with the park today. Other than weather and a late start yesterday there haven't been too many tech issues outside of a few rollbacks. Throughput should improve today, but demand is still just out of control. Word of mouth that the ride is really good isn't helping the waits. I suspect when Galaxies Edge opens here Islands of Adventure and this ride will still be packed. (if not more from people checking out both)