Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Dren posted:

Has anyone done backstage tours at animal kingdom? Are they good? What about the ones at animal kingdom lodge?

I want to do sense of africa so drat much so I can pet an Okapi.

Caring for Giants was cool and fairly reasonable - it's like 30 bucks a person.

I'm planning on booking A Path Less Traveled for my girlfriend's birthday but we probably aren't doing it until the end of the run.

Wanyama is supposed to be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Backstage takes is alright but honestly just take a tour at your local zoo to get the same thing but much less.

I mean unless you really want to be backstage AK but imho it’s the most boring backstage outta all the parks

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
So there’s no chance the Marvel stuff is coming to Orlando?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Cais posted:

I want to do sense of africa so drat much so I can pet an Okapi.

Caring for Giants was cool and fairly reasonable - it's like 30 bucks a person.

I'm planning on booking A Path Less Traveled for my girlfriend's birthday but we probably aren't doing it until the end of the run.

Wanyama is supposed to be fantastic.

thanks I'll look these up

edit: looks like path less traveled will be over by the time I go in July

Empress Brosephine posted:

Backstage takes is alright but honestly just take a tour at your local zoo to get the same thing but much less.

I mean unless you really want to be backstage AK but imho it’s the most boring backstage outta all the parks

What would you recommend that is better? We've done keys to the kingdom before and my wife is not as interested in behind the seeds as she should be :colbert:. I like animals and I would like to walk on the rope bridges.

Dren fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 21, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Reinanigans posted:

Not unless Universal is willing to deal and Disney ponies up a lot of cash. Universal knows how much those licenses are worth to Disney now with the marvel cinematic universe being so massive.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
This is super unlikely, as Disney seems pretty spiteful when it comes to the properties that Marvel licensed out, especially the ones that have made big money for Fox and Sony.

Before the Fox Studios buyout, Marvel was actively reducing the role of the X-Men and related characters in the overall Marvel universe - conveniently, most of the world's mutants got wiped out in the comics. They refused to let any of those characters be used for nearly anything outside of the comics, especially video games.

The most recent example is the new Marvel vs Capcom game; many of the series' fan favorites are missing, and coincidentally all of them are part of TV/movie licensing deals with non-Disney companies.

Theme park rights are a whole different animal, but given how they've handled the TV and movie stuff, I don't see Disney offering up a wheelbarrow full of money to buy back the rights to "their" characters.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I don’t think spiteful is really the right way to describe it. They definitely actively minimize the characters they don’t have the movie rights to, but to some degree that’s smart business. The comics are just ads for the movies at this point; why run ads for movies that the other guys are putting out?

Spider Man: Homecoming shows that Disney’s willing to play ball, at least in principle. Obviously we’ll probably never know the exact terms that got Peter back into the MCU. Between that, the financial difference between park rights and movie rights, possible cultural differences between Universal Parks and Sony Pictures, and the differences between Internal valuations of Spider-Man and the mutants, I think it’s impossible to do more than blindly guess whether we’ll see those rights under Disney’s umbrella. But I don’t think spite is really what motivates the thought process.

Also, tangentially related: how can I not buy a generic Avengers magic band? I just want the Avengers A, is that too much to ask.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 21, 2018

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dren posted:

What would you recommend that is better? We've done keys to the kingdom before and my wife is not as interested in behind the seeds as she should be :colbert:. I like animals and I would like to walk on the rope bridges.

Dren posted:

Wild Africa Trek is better and you get to do the rope bridges.

Keys to the Kingdom is the gold standard of tours at Disney.

The best Disney Tours are basically:

Keys to the Kingdom
Wild Africa Trek
DiveQuest
Aqua tour
Behind the Seeds is okay
Marceline to MK is decent.
Backstage Magic is okay if you want a full day of Disney without buying a ticket (although it might require a ticket now?)

The secret is do any tour that Disney just starts doing because they’re going to go out of their way to make sure it’s amazing.

But stuff like Backstage Tales and the like you can get a similar and probably better and cheaper tour from your local zoo or Busch Gardens Tampa.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Reinanigans posted:

I’m not familiar with the details on the contract, but we’re definitely allowed to have Guardians of the Galaxy because we have character meets and a coaster opening at Epcot. The restrictions may be specific to what’s already at Universal.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
My friend and I are thinking of doing Disneyworld spur of the moment in late April/early May. Neither of us have been in 5+ years

- How far in advance do we need to book online FastPasses? If we book a trip for 3 weeks away, will we still be able to get passes for most of the rides we want? My #1 priority is Avatar.
- Is renting DVC time a budget-efficient option? How about vacation packages?
- There used to be special ticket deals for Canadian but I can't find them any more. They still around?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Too late for Avatar Frozen and Mine Train. You can still get most other rides. But best thing to do is buy tickets ASAP and just check daily and hourly to see if something for Avatar opens up.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Even without fastpass you can do Avatar as long as you can get there before the park opens.

Or don't mind long waits.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
I'd also suggest that you just keep checking the FPs when you get the chance.

I was able to change my Avatar FP party size from 2 to 4 three days before our park date.

Good luck!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
http://www.clickhole.com/video/these-elderly-peoples-stories-early-unsafe-version-7607

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Zero One posted:

Even without fastpass you can do Avatar as long as you can get there before the park opens.

Or don't mind long waits.

Yeah just get to AK and hour or more before the scheduled park opening and you can basically walk on to FOP. I did that and did Navi river right after which was about a 20 minute wait.

For the person asking about AK backstage, Caring for Giants was really cool and well worth it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Some kids were roughhousing as I passed with a beer flight in Germany and I told them if they made me spill it I was force feeding it to them.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Wife got us a 4 day Halloween cruise on the Dream in September along with 2 nights on grounds and going to the Halloween party one night.
Guess I need to start thinking of some costumes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Another new tram has appeared, this time at Epcot.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah they've been replacing them over the last several months. I'm disappointed they only seem to have 3 colors so instead of each being unique like the monorail there are many of the same color.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Zero One posted:

Yeah they've been replacing them over the last several months. I'm disappointed they only seem to have 3 colors so instead of each being unique like the monorail there are many of the same color.

They have red, lime, blue, yellow, and orange right now in service. They are mixed between all four parks.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah but I'm saying they have repeats. I've seen trams with the same color at AK on the past.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zero One posted:

Yeah but I'm saying they have repeats. I've seen trams with the same color at AK on the past.

I mean how many colors did you want them to have? There's a lot more trams than monorails.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Nanigans posted:

Nope, Universal holds all the cards in Orlando. (And they can't even use the name Marvel in the land or attraction name in California Adventure). There are a few exceptions based on Characters Universal doesn't have rights to (Dr. Strange, and Guardians for one)

As for what characters Uni does have rights to, across from the Spiderman ride (Which is still one of the best rides anywhere) is a circular spike looking "meteor crash site" with shards with various characters represented on it. Every character Universal has rights to is there, including Black Panther. (Guardians and Strange aren't there)

Atricks fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 28, 2018

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Which makes you think why Universal hasn’t built a single Marvel ride since opening considering how big the MCU is. You’d think they would’ve capitalized on that. Granted there’s not much room there but I’m sure ilthere wouldn’t be too much pushback if they got rid of the golden age comics section

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Atricks posted:

Nope, Universal holds all the cards in Orlando. (And they can't even use the name Marvel in the land or attraction name in California Adventure). There are a few exceptions based on Characters Universal doesn't have rights to (Dr. Strange, and Guardians for one)

As for what characters Uni does have rights to, across from the Spiderman ride (Which is still one of the best rides anywhere) is a circular spike looking "meteor crash site" with shards with various characters represented on it. Every character Universal has rights to is there, including Black Panther. (Guardians and Strange aren't there)

Universal has a real lovely loophole which is that in the middle of Marvel Superhero Island are these yellow spike pillars that are covered in character pictures. Whenever Disney finds something they think isn't in the area, Universal usually goes "It's on the pillar, means we have the rights" and Doctor Strange was one of those, hence why he vanished very quickly after the movie left theaters. They couldn't even advertise showtimes. Those pillars are also why a Wakanda/Black Panther land is unlikely.

Guardians on the other hand do not appear anywhere in the land, because nobody gave much of a poo poo about the Guardians before the movie, so Disney has them over a barrel on that one, but they can't call it Marvel's Guardians (and I am told they may not be able to use the Guardians title at all, but I dunno how true that is)

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
"Starlord and crew"

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Universal has a real lovely loophole which is that in the middle of Marvel Superhero Island are these yellow spike pillars that are covered in character pictures. Whenever Disney finds something they think isn't in the area, Universal usually goes "It's on the pillar, means we have the rights" and Doctor Strange was one of those, hence why he vanished very quickly after the movie left theaters. They couldn't even advertise showtimes. Those pillars are also why a Wakanda/Black Panther land is unlikely.

Guardians on the other hand do not appear anywhere in the land, because nobody gave much of a poo poo about the Guardians before the movie, so Disney has them over a barrel on that one, but they can't call it Marvel's Guardians (and I am told they may not be able to use the Guardians title at all, but I dunno how true that is)

Yep, this thing https://www.google.com/maps/@28.4708291,-81.4700782,2a,75y,127.03h,85.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seIOU4CqHG5K-_R0QWZNYGA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
So what is to stop Universal from sending some cheap artist out there with some paint everytime a new Marvel movie comes out and just drawing crappy renditions of Groot or something?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I really appreciate the google maps algorithm blanking out some of the hero's faces.

And also the Thing's foot.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

couldcareless posted:

So what is to stop Universal from sending some cheap artist out there with some paint everytime a new Marvel movie comes out and just drawing crappy renditions of Groot or something?

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm but presumably that isn’t actually how the contract works and TheBudgetSequel is exaggerating for effect.

That being said, lol @ that a lot of that meteor. I appreciate that they were going for specific storylines of characters, but I love that Onslaught is forever immortalized at the park. Also Monica Rambeau, and no less than three Things.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I was sincere with the assumption that the contract was something dumb like "rights granted based on legitimate display of marvel property in the park"

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
there is this jim hill rumor about disney trying to get black panther rights to build wakanda in the wonders of life pavilion at epcot

http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/rumors/2018/01/31/wonders-of-life-pavilion-to-be-updated-or-replaced

he says they are going to squabble about whether being on the pillar actually blocks a character

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

couldcareless posted:

I was sincere with the assumption that the contract was something dumb like "rights granted based on legitimate display of marvel property in the park"

Oh, I see. Yeah, that might actually be the case for reversion. Isn’t that the popular rumor that that’s how the movie rights were structured? The (non-Marvel) studios got to keep them as long as they made use every so often?

I can’t imagine the contract being framed such that universal could pick up additional rights just by deciding they want them, but then again, Marvel was cash strapped back then. Maybe they hired the worst lawyers.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dren posted:

there is this jim hill rumor about disney trying to get black panther rights to build wakanda in the wonders of life pavilion at epcot

http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/rumors/2018/01/31/wonders-of-life-pavilion-to-be-updated-or-replaced

he says they are going to squabble about whether being on the pillar actually blocks a character

just hurry up and buy universal, gently caress it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
No don't!

Something completely unrelated to Marvel that I wanted to mention: How wild is it that Disney still owns Go.com? And not just own it buy use it as the main domain for all their internet properties?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Zero One posted:

No don't!

Something completely unrelated to Marvel that I wanted to mention: How wild is it that Disney still owns Go.com? And not just own it buy use it as the main domain for all their internet properties?

considering how totally hosed all their IT systems seem to be I imagine the thought of changing their domains is enough to give some disney IT person a panic attack

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

New details on the Millennium Falcon ride from NVIDIA of all places.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/03/28/walt-disney-imagineering-nvidia-star-wars-galaxys-edge-millennium-falcon/

They're powering the ride and each cockpit will have eight NVIDIA GPUs through SLI making a badass flight simulator. Hell yeah.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah that’s not going to crash all the time. No way.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I guess that explains the ray tracing demo. This gives me hope that the ride will be more dynamic than your typical simulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Is it bad that I keep accepting MBs even though I have an AP

I want every color.......

And I like putting random names on the inside

Blue
Dr. Bayou
Nickname
etc.