Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I think most people go through burn out of trying to do too much too fast heir first time. You don't want to miss anything so you scramble to fit it all in. Next trip will be even better, you'll know what you're doing and what you like more. Your husband is a doofus. Flame Tree is some of the best QS food on the resort and Y&Y is super bland. Did you ride Aerosmith? It's the one ride my wife won't ride after a bad childhood experience. Glad you had fun and conquered your fears!

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Their crowd predictions are poo poo, and that time of year you're going to be fine. Don't fret. EPCOT might be a little crowded during wine and dine weekend, but the rest of the parks will be fine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Braksgirl posted:

Last October I was at Disney and the crowds were so heavy. I have crowd PTSD. I'll never go in October again because of that. Touring Plans predicted much lower crowds than there actually were so I think that's why I'm freaking out. But I've had this trip planned for over a year and I might die if I don't go, so I guess I'll suck it up and deal.

Between this and the clusterfuck that was dining availability this week and last week, I'm very much over free dining.

They're as accurate about hih crowds as they are about low, if it makes you feel any better.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can, I have 3 on my account now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Definitely. Disney as a whole offers plenty of great vegetarian options at every restaurant and even the Food & Wine festival booths. On the cruiseline some of the best dishes were vegetarian options. They aren't skimpy dishes either, but full delicious courses. For example, we just ate at Coral Reef last week and my friend had the vegetarian "chick'n breast" and it was great.

Heres the full list of options in the parks in an easy to read table, but it doesn't list the resort restaurants

http://allears.net/din/vegcsparks.htm

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 22, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

Has anybody seen the Tomorrowland pin in parks?

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/05/tomorrowland-shirt-coming-to-disney-parks-online-store-from-may-22-28/

I bought some online a while ago, but they don't quite look like the one in the movie. And I'm a stickler.

We got the free ones they were handing out in EPCOT at the Test Track exit. Had to sign up for promo material from Chevy to get it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Finding a place to live is literally the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Like, I just had a person talk to me seriously for two days about move in dates and what not, like it was going to be a sure fire thing, and then today he texts me and tells me the room is now filled. I just need a place to sleep and cook within reasonable distance to work. Goddamn.

In Disney News: I had a Darth Vader Cupcake today and christ, I love Darth Vader Cupcakes.

It's only hard if you're trying to do it without a lease or something. If you have proof of income, etc, you can find a place in hours. When we were down for my wife's interview and she was hired on the spot, we had 48 hours to find somewhere and be somewhat moved in for her to start. Found an apartment that afternoon (second we toured). That said, you can always look through subleases and stuff on Craigslist, that looks to be your best bet if you're still in the situation you mentioned earlier.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Eh, looks like an outdoor version of Gringotts without all the show/effects. They even call it a family ride.

The Universal water park is official now though, and looks really cool.

https://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/volcano-bay-announcement/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's a non-stop conveyor belt loading dark ride like the Haunted Mansion. I can only assume it breaks down a lot or something because it's always a long wait.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Animal Kingdom had a cast family sunrise walk today and I went with my wife. Got some great pics of the park with gorgeous early morning light and not a soul in sight, except for a few workers getting ready for the day. Really cool to see the place empty, everything was so much prettier without the crowd and noise. Dinoland was pretty funny, it looked like an abandoned carnival that would be kinda creepy at night. I also saw the Avatarland construction pretty close coming in the back way, but I was driving and didn't get any pics. The big building I'm assuming will be the flight ride is huge, I'm thinking it's going to be similar to the Forbidden Journey at Islands.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 30, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's different than the one they gave out at EPCOT. I like that the trading one has the old school Tomorrowland colors.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Congrats! My wife also just got promoted to pastry chef 2 and moved to full time at the Animal Kingdom production bakery, so we're at Hollywood to celebrate with some Rebel Hangar food. I'm also pretty stoked to get those sweet Disney benefits.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Latin Quarter at City Walk was pretty good when we ate there a few years ago.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

One scoop at a time, man.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Where's the best place in HS to view the Star Wars fireworks?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Standing in front of the ABC theater, pretty good view of the skyline behind the Chinese theater so should be good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's not a Disney Paris thing, that's a France thing. France is kinda dirty.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They've expanded it a lot by adding Darth Maul, so you should be fine if you're there around the opening. I'm surprised it's not a fast pass/reservation system by now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Happitoo posted:

I wouldn't say they necessarily need to change things based on Disney stories (at least in Future World). Just stick to a message that doesn't burn out after 10 years. Like The Seas being about conservation of sea life. Living With The Land being about food production and agriculture advancement through the ages. Mission Space be about the history of space exploration etc. It's trying to present the present/future that's the problem as everything advances so fast to the point that they can't keep up. So showcase those advances that have been made previously and the technological leaps people have taken (a la Spaceship Earth) and stop trying to show "modern" technology as it'll be outdated before it even hits the park.

Epcot needs more. If that means sacrificing ideological purity in order to accomplish that, so be it. It can be done without Disney-fying everything. But if that's the path they're going to take I'm fine with that.

With Frozen, I'll say they should have gone further! If they insist on having a princess meal in the world showcase, why are Anna/Elsa not the ones greeting there? What the gently caress does Belle have to do with Norway? She's French. At least Frozen was sort of thematically based on Norway/Scandinavia.

People argue that Frozen should be in Fantasyland. Because that's exactly what Magic Kingdom needs. More loving people. Dispersing crowds among the 4 parks is a pain in the rear end because all the best/classic poo poo is condensed in 1 place. Magic Kingdom.

The World Showcase is stale. They haven't had a new pavilion since the 80's. No country except Morocco is paying for their pavilions anymore to maintain them. Their films are all ridiculously outdated. So add rides. Add Disney rides. Put a Snow White ride in Germany. Some Brother Bear flume ride in Canada. Go loving nuts and make it something more than a giant ring of restaurants and places to get poo poo faced. If countries don't want that poo poo they can start paying again to maintain their pavilions and update their movies to modern standards.

I agree with everything. World Showcase is too much of a museum, not enough a theme park. The rest of EPCOT is also weak, aside from The Seas/Land and Test Track. I'm scared it will continue being neglected if the 5th park happens, since Hollywood is getting all the big work after Animal Kingdom.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm pretty sure all the actual discussion is about a new park in Orlando, not another resort somewhere.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I still say HS has more to do/ride than EPCOT:

Great movie ride
Toy Story
Aerosmith
Star Wars
Tower of Terror

All great rides, plus a ton of real stage shows and Fantasmic to end the night.

EPCOT has:

Test Track
Soarin
Mission Space
a bunch of mediocre outdated junk (Ellen)
A few meh dark rides (Nemo, Figment)

So two great rides and a lot of ok-bad ones, plus a few sideshow scale performances in the countries and Illuminations, which is nothing compared to Fantasmic

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Forbidden Journey is the best, such a great mix of so many rides and tech. Gringotts is good too, but after the initial thrill it's not as exciting as Forbidden Journey is throughout. We're getting annual passes to Universal next month (they're so drat cheap!) when we get back from vacation, can't wait to ride both again like 40 times.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So my wife got to make cookies for Tom Staggs this week (Disney COO), pretty fuckin cool.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's a good arrival day or rest day filler. There's lot of shopping and some good eats, so people enjoy it. It's also a huge local's spot, if you go no the weekend a huge percentage of the crowd are Orlando teens and young adults. They're also doing an insane amount of construction there, like more than doubling the size of the place, so that will only make it better for people looking for something to do in-between theme parks. We would typically go in the evening after Animal Kingdom closed to eat and look around. The AMC theater there is also fantastic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Earl of Sandwich and the AMC is our go to fun night for cheap date. We do it once or twice a week, can't beat those sandwiches.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My wife had to do a pretty intense verbal culinary test with her interviewer, lots of detailed questions about DHEC safety regulations like food storage temps and stuff, as well as prep techniques and various pastry recipes. She wasn't prepared for that but luckily knew it all and did fine, but she said it was intimidating. I guess it all depends on what position your going for, but be prepared for questions related to any skilled labor. Besides that, dress well and arrive an hour beforehand. The traffic getting to Casting is awful right now because of the construction, so give yourself plenty of buffer time. After the interview process they'll give you a date to do traditions (pick the earliest you can if you want to start soon, or you may have to a wait a few weeks for the next spot). Good luck!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Watch the Festival of Fantasy parade, it's the best by far. Be on Main St USA around 3. There will be a times guide in the park with the maps to see all the show times for everything.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Delayed Reaction posted:

Edit: I just clicked on the job posting on my dashboard and got this message:

The job posting you are looking for has expired or the position has already been filled. If you are interested in one of our other opportunities, please visit our career site.

You can always call/email them about it. They do walk up interviews too though, at least they were when my wife did her interview. So if nothing else, you can still try.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's at the AMC at Downtown Disney, literally across the street from Casting. They're even using Casting for Downtown parking right now because of construction.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, I knew they were doing something special because I could hear the booms for a good 45 minutes. Going to check them out tomorrow night. I don't want to deal with actually going into MK though, any other good viewing locations?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We went through something similar, my wife had her interview on Fri and had to start on Monday, so we had to find an apartment, high tail it back to SC and load up, and move in all over the weekend. It was crazy stressful, but we found a good place we're happy with and it was all worth it. If you need any apartment referrals or help with anything else just ask when the time comes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I watched the storm and fireworks from our balcony. It was like a drat hurricane here.

Just watched tonight's fireworks from the beach at the Polynesian, pretty insane display! The boats lighting up in sync with the music was amazing. I'll post a few pics later.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here's the pics, absolutely the best fireworks display I've ever seen. You can make out Cinderella's castle in the very middle bottom of the frame, that's how massive these were!

DSC_0011 by David Childers, on Flickr

DSC_0019 by David Childers, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

A fairly reliable source

He's far from reliable and full of clickbait content.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Illuminations is good, but Fantasmic is amazing. Up there with Wishes (and the projection show before it).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, he sprinkles in enough common knowledge to sound legit and then makes a lot of claims and sometimes gets lucky on things, but is notorious for posting incorrect "insider info".

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They've updated a lot, yeah. The basic premise is the same but if someone hasn't seen it before they are in for a treat. Illuminations is a pretty weak show compared to Wishes, but Fantasmic is different enough to still be awesome.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Make sure you see the projection show on the castle before Wishes as well, it's my favorite part of any nighttime spectacular. It's 15 minutes before wishes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Is the projection show still doing Frozen or did they update it to Big Hero 6?

I loved what they did for the others. When Tangled was out, Rapunzel pops her head out of a window and her hair falls all the way down the castle. When Wreck-it Ralph was out the castle turned to brick and Ralph smashed it down. Frozen, Elsa turns the castle to ice.

Honestly the projection show might be more of a highlight than the fireworks afterwards

Those are both there still, but they did a Let it Go montage too. No Big Hero in yet. I agree, the projection show is such a unique display unlike anything I've ever seen, and Wishes is "just" lights and fireworks. Really damned good lights and fireworks, but still. I defeinitely still tear up at the end if Wishes every time though. Let your WISSSSH come TRUUUUUUUEEEEEEEE *darkness* *Jiminy Cricket voice* boom boom boom BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM *huge finale*. That one moment still feels magical every single time and never gets old, and reminds me of all the great memories and feelings we've had at Disney over the years before moving here, which is great because I was scared living so close to Disney would burn me out.

Also, taking my little cousins to the parks this week. They're 7 and 8, and they've done MK and AK already this year so were doing EPCOT/HS one day and a watermark the second day. I've never done either water park, so which do you think is better for kids that age? Blizzard Beach has the better theme, but the shark swim experience and huge lazy river sounds like the better unique attractions. Also, which park has more 2-5 person water slides?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Man, we're already planning a Tokyo trip because my wife has been to Paris, but that looks amazing.