Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

El Seven posted:

From this this thread, we know what Lifeline will NOT have:

And from this thread we know that Lifeline will have

There is currently a contest to guess the new base with the following options to choose from:

A) A rural manor house surrounded by corn fields

B) A small-town landing strip barricaded by wrecked airplanes

C) A hastily-erected military installation on the outskirts of a burning city

D) An abandoned industrial yard full of derelict machinery

A just sounds like McReady Homestead. Of the others D sounds like the most reasonable.

I was hoping for something like a ski resort on a mountain with cave systems or something. Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Mental Midget posted:

If you enjoyed the base game, but thought it was over too quickly and/or was too easy, then you would find value in the Breakdown DLC. Aside from increasing the game's difficulty, another aspect of the DLC I really enjoyed was unlocking heroes through in-game achievements.

My main problem with SoD in general is the frame rate. I rarely get above 20-25 fps, and in battle I dip to about 10-15, and given the sometimes awful indoor camera angles it becomes an impossibility to use firearms and challenge to even melee.

So increasing the difficulty of battle doesn't strike me as a feasible notion. If I had better performance I'd be all for it, since using my primary fighters with level 7 combat/specialization = lots of dead zombies during ideal confrontations.

Also, if anyone can figure out why a normally-good PC has terrible framerate and potential workarounds I'm all ears. I've turned down level of detail and resolution as far as I'm willing. Normally Mass Effect 3 runs smooth as silk.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Furism posted:

Just picked this game up on sale, reached the first base (Church), did the first mission (medicine from the vet). It's pretty fun overall, if a bit overwhelming initially. There's no way to skip the night time, is there? It's just too dark and annoying, but I guess that's part of the challenge? I could bump the gamma up of course.

I'd recommend getting used to it a bit more. The more you get used to it, the more you'll actually appreciate it at times. Zombie sight distance diminishes a lot, and you can still always see the glow of their eyes. You'll also get to relying more on your minimap for grey and red dots indicating trouble, which is a good practice.

Shooting, especially at range, can become nigh impossible at night, but I find moving by foot to be a lot safer than during the day (when every zombie and its brother will see you from a mile away).

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Early on you'll want to use cars more than you think the game sets you up to. So long as you're not completely inept at staying on the road (sometimes harder than it sounds) you shouldn't be in danger of running out any time soon. The easiest way to clear an infestation early, I always found, was laying on the horn outside the infested house and then running over zombies that come out. Pretty safe, if slow.

The learning curve is a bit rough early on, so don't be ashamed driving more than you walk. As you get more combat experience, begin to figure out what you can get away from, you'll get more confidence in running medium distances.

A good habit to develop is sprinting whenever you go anywhere where you don't anticipate immediate combat. Carry snacks in case combat suddenly occurs, just in case. The sprinting will help you develop cardio. Cardio allows you to sprint more. Sprinting more makes running around safer since you can outrun the zombies for longer in case you bite off more than you can chew.

Ultimately, when you develop combat abilities and sprinting abilities you'll end up walking a bit more, ESPECIALLY through hilly/woody areas.

But over 1000m? Yeah, no reason to hoof it like that unless you're just kinda exploring.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

really the worst thing are "survivor is trapped and needs help" missions. God help you if you're not ready for them, or you accidentally get too close and then can't get to that location. All the zombies are activated, swarming that person inside a house somewhere. It's pretty awful if this triggers, say, when you're in Marshall and the location is the house across the river to the north. Good luck getting there in time.

When a survivor is trapped, you really wanna consult the map, and either make sure you go NOWHERE NEAR THERE, or else you're ready for combat (having a partner in those missions is usually a great idea).

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

poo poo, really? I guess I'll just take breaks like that until I have enough switchers to work with then.

Careful though. Every time you log in, you go through the day's worth of materials. When you get into a place big enough that's a large chunk of construction mats and ammo (which I never seem to have enough of)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

meatsaw posted:

I assume from mods like this that you can't get fellow survivors to share this burden? I've only just started playing this.

You can radio for scavengers. I don't think you get as much from it, it takes a little bit, and it can get annoying because you might need to protect them as they travel to your location if they get close enough to you. They'll attract every zombie in the vicinity, and if they die they die.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Jetsetlemming posted:

Sweet. I hope they use this system to spawn default stuff for flavor in cars, too. Golf clubs in expensive sedans, hunting rifle in old pickups, snacks in the pizza delivery car, etc.

kidnapped children in the back of the wood-paneled station wagons...

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Man. Watched a video on the UL facebook page. Looking forward to vehicular storage soooooooooooooooooooo much. Will completely refresh my desire to get back into the game.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Is that for Steam too, or just Xbox?

If the former, yay!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

According to that link they release at the same time.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

What do you mean "how complete is the game"? It's pretty complete? Like...it's a game?

I'd say the base game is a solid 15-20 hours of AWESOME, and after that making fun depends on how much you like open-world zombie-killing and resource gathering.

I've gotten about 40-50 hours of fun out of it, super worth it's price point. And Lifeline looks to add another 10-20 hours easy for $6.

I'd say if you get base + breakdown for <$15 total you're doing super. I think I got em for like $8 or $9 total, and consider it a steal to the point where I want to pay full price for the DLC to help undead labs keep going.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I don't like guns generally because of the poor framerate on PC. It's hard to line up shots, lots easier to melee.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Been binging a bit today in my free time today (less than I'd like).

About 3 or 4 hours in...and I dunno if I've had the same problems as others. I find missions spawn CONSTANTLY, and require fast responses or they fade with the initiator dead.

Not too many bad bugs, although one hard crash out of nowhere was a bit annoying. I also drove over the smallest of objects in the road and started barrel rolling like mad. Pretty much impossible to expect.

The sieges are pretty awesome. Blood gets pumping as I take a post at the highest point in the base and start focusing with an assault rifle.

I don't know when to find the time to restock supplies. Construction and ammo materials are almost always out or nearly out.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I'm really happy with how much better lifeline is making me at gunplay. I'd really never used guns outside of bloater/screamer headshots before this, and now I'm finding that focus fire ARs are pretty goddamn amazing.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah it'd be nice to have a radio personality that wasn't stuck on either upbeat pixie or debbie downer.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I think I know where you're referring to. I've flipped there too. It led to one of my most heart-racingly epic moments ever since I had flipped off a horde without hitting them moments earlier, so that was fun.

What's ironic is I do those ramps all the time on the highway and I've only flipped once in a way that destroyed the vehicle.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

redreader posted:

Got this tues night and really got into it last night. Great game! What am I really aiming for? I'm gathering stuff, building up my church... can I move the people eventually? how do I get more people? I've rescued survivors that have come back, but mostly they go back to their own base.

Also I read that the game plays itself while I'm not playing it? Do I miss missions that way?

Aim for: Getting more stuff! Building trust with other people! Killing zombies in hilarious ways!

Moving people: Yep! I won't spoil it much, but if you explore enough you'll find places! One's right near the church!

More people: Make friends with neighbors. As you meet people you'll get mission opportunities with them. Do the missions, they'll gain trust. They gain trust, then they'll join you. Some people are hard-coded not to join you though, they're plot NPCs (wilkersons, lovebirds, you'll probably figure out which those people are reasonably quick).

The game 'plays' itself in the sense that your people will do some stuff, time will pass, and more than likely your resources will drain. It used to be a bit drastic, all your resources running out if you didn't play in a few days, but now it's just a day or so worth of resources drains. You won't really miss missions, not that I'm aware of no.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Leal posted:

So how does the game play on a mouse and keyboard? Lost my 360 when I was booted from the house and I want to give this game a proper go again.

I like it a lot. It's a little goofy because WASD move you in cardinal directions rather than strafing, but you get used to it before long. I'd much rather have mouse + keyboard than controller, but I'm a PC guy in general, so...

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Bondematt posted:

Or you could be my brother, and have two people commit suicide when off for one day.

We still can't figure out why, perfect morale, lots of supplies, multiple counselors, no issues.

Could one of them have been turning into a zombie and killed the other before getting killed himself?

I had that happen in my first vanilla playthrough. Ed turned, which killed Alan.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

khy posted:

Okay, explain something to me please.

I'm doing the main game and I just got some meds for LUPUS and antibiotics. My character is 'tired' and it's night. How do I sleep?

Short answer: You need to either log out or switch to a different character for a bit.

Longer answer: You need beds to allow characters to rest. If you have at least one bed per resident, you get a bonus, but you can have up to 2 people per bed and be okay. You need to switch away from a character for about 15 minutes real time for them to rest (not sure, but I feel that's about right). To do this, open up the menu (tab on computer), go to the faces, and click on a face of someone. Q button (use button on xbox I'd guess) to select them. It should tell you if you can do this or not (you can't select some people, like Lily or people who want to do a mission or run away).

Because of this, it's a good idea to have 3+ characters you're cool with rolling with at any time.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I got Maya and Marcus killed off early, and I still managed okay.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

gfanikf posted:

At that point I was like, "welp I'm staring over", but that was more due to understanding the mechanics and gameplay better.

I really love the game so far, never even bothered with the mods, it's really nothing like I've played before.

I should add that I really like lifeline so far, as its a nice narrative change in the zombie games and an interesting inverse of the standard game,

Yeah I like it a lot. I love the emphasis on "gently caress it, shoot zombies!!!" to counter the excessive focus on melee in base/breakdown.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

The machine cutting blade that's 4 or 5 stars has almost never worn down for my edge type meleers. It's light enough, and edge weapons value durability more than weight since few are heavy. Sometimes I'll roll with Kukris but they wear down before the cutting arms. No advantage to the Japanese blades except style points.

For heavy weapon people, you want an axe or you can get the hell out. It's super durable and far lighter than most heavy weapons.

Blunt weapons can't beat wrenches or escrima sticks. Wrenches are more fun to visualize.

For guns, if you're going quiet and you're reasonably good at shooting you want a .22. It's super light, the quietest gun if you don't have a silencer handy, the ammo is reasonably abundant, and a single headshot ends any non-feral/juggy.

Don't bother with bolt action rifles. Sniping in SoD is generally pointless, because if you're far away from zombies you're better off avoiding them. Plus, the noise generated means you don't get to snipe many before you have company close in.

Shotguns are fantastic "last resort only" weapons.

If you have ammo to spare and balls, an M-16 or equivalent 5.56 or 7.62 assault rifle with a firearms focus specialization character are amazing headshot machines. There are fewer situations where this is useful in base/Breakdown though compared to Lifeline. In Lifeline, if you don't roll like this, you might as well not bother rolling at all.

Killing Juggernauts? MOLOTOVS. Shotguns are great for a stun effect if you get a headshot, but rely on molotovs to really wipe out their health. Usually like 2-4 with a couple shots in there will knock em down without too much effort. I've still never actually killed one with a vehicle, and using only bullets is wasteful. Mines and the like also work, same with explosives, but neither of those are as easy or common as molotovs.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

bitcoin bastard posted:

FTFY :colbert:.

Unless this got changed in the past couple weeks, the Police Cruiser has the same number of slots as the pickup. The cruiser is stupidly twitchy when backing up, but once you get the hang of it, you can do snap 180 turns with a quick reverse which is great in a lot of situations.

You can also watch the engine smoke after hitting about 20 zombies, and have a harder time dooring zombies because of the twitchy controls. Plus, with the superduty pickup it's easier for people to jump in the back than have to get to a door.

The cop car is a nice secondary, especially when I want to get from Marshall back to, say, the Church quickly. It handles a lot better than the sports car, after all, seats 4, and have full trunk space. But the superduty pickups are the prize vehicle in the base/breakdown.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

Huh, there's a mod that says it enables NPCs to use guns. Were they not able to do so until recently?

They can, sporadically. The person in the tower will. I've noticed they tend to use guns if you're using a gun at that moment. Mostly I only ever see melee.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

bitcoin bastard posted:

FTFY :colbert:

Seriously though, try all the houses at least once, pretty much everything he said is correct, including the part about the Church being horrible.

I'm not a huge fan of the Savini house because I generally don't care about libraries much and I like how the Alamo is closer to more lootable buildings with more construction supplies. The Savini house just has houses, which are great for food and medicine, but...

I've never done the MacReady ranch because gently caress driving that far to get to a town.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Ravendas posted:

I got this on the steam sale, and it's really fun. My only complaint is that missions pop up with too much frequency. At any one time I'll have three or more missions on the map, when sometimes I just want to go around and explore a bit, look for a new house or something like that.

You can ignore most of them. If I have high morale sometimes I won't bother with the more annoying ones (scavenging and holding-the-fort missions). The "kill a special" for army/feral zeds are usually super easy, just run ferals over and beat army zeds to death, so those usually represent some easy influence/morale. Infestations are kinda fun to clear, so I like doing those.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Sober posted:

I've actually had an AI controlled survivor from my home literally leave after a successful mission, ran into a horde and got themselves mauled to death.

Yeah, if you do certain missions (clear infestation, kill special zombie, draw attention) the mission-giver will run home after the mission completion, attracting zombie attention.

The best way I've found to deal with this is to just get in a car and book it away from there as fast as possible. They'll make it home unmolested after that.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Kasonic posted:

Yeah, the "things a certain distance from you don't exist" problem has screwed me over in a few places, like having a survivor die in Lifeline while I was fighting on an overpass near him but he was still off my map. Kind of frustrating.
Yep. Small radius of influence giveth, and small radius of influence taketh away.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

gfanikf posted:

So do the devs have anything new in the pipeline, either patches or new DLC?

Multiplayer support.

i hope

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

How do you do the dying grenade pin pull? I had a guy dying with a thermite in his hand and it didn't go off. I kept trying to hit the throw button.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Phuzzy posted:

Thermite isn't a grenade.

Oh. Thought it'd act like a grenade since you throw it like one.

Whoops.

Is it still a thing where you'd hit the "throw/use item" button to suicide?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Story mode is kinda neat and worth going through on its own merits, as you can make a few choices here and there that may not be monumental but still feel neat.

Best to do it first, since it IS a lot easier than breakdown/lifeline.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Saint Sputnik posted:

Lifeline is pretty loving tough, I've started a new game three or four times by now because I feel lovely when I get a bunch of dudes killed at once. Or call in an artillery strike too close to where I park all my cars.

I like the map a lot though, wish there was a reason/leisure time given to walk around and take it all in instead of driving furiously past everything.

Meanwhhile in my latest Breakdown game: you have got to be shittin' me.

Good thing I've got an assload of steel pipe bombs, aka Zom-B-Gone.

That's when you park in Marshall and never ever leave town.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Any easy way to clear out the storage locker in terms of deleting items? Or do you have to select some items into your inventory, then hold the delete button for them all?

Kinda tedious. Also kinda ridiculous that I can't point to the sum total of all the amazing melee weapons we already have and make the judgment call we don't need that cane from god knows when.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Saint Sputnik posted:

I'm used to the vehicles parked at my base spontaneously all exploding on occasion, but this... this is something else.

Looks like TruckMech is beginning to assemble itself, starting with the leg.

And your base with no plucky 12 year-old to pilot it...

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

plainswalker75 posted:

Wait, that's a common thing that happens? I assumed I accidentally set off the mines somehow.

Maybe they drover over a paperclip or something.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Shotguns are excellent last resort weapons. They work BEST when you have a large group of zeds and you just want to get to that car over there, or get people off your friend. Slow down time, line up a lot of heads, and you kill 4+ and knock down the rest in front of you in a large cone. That's handy, but it's not a good hunting weapon like an AK variant would be, where you can pop heads before they ever get to you.

I've not really had a problem in lifeline, so I dunno. I might be getting lucky, I haven't lost many soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

glug posted:

My major concern is finding more edge weapons. Maybe rob a firehouse? My main man is an axe wielding zombie blaster.

Factories sometimes have cutting arms, which are the best edged weapon in my experience.

• Locked thread