Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

poptart_fairy posted:

The incidental dialogue is fantastic. Just had a companion get really confused and ask if the zombies I was mauling bullied me in High School. :v:

State of decay is also apparently full of zombie ponies and the survivors all hate Lily's innocence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Fibby Boy posted:

Ed died. :smith: Dude went out on a scavenger run while I was helping out some other survivors. Radio lady tells me his situation is dire and sure enough it was. Got there right as three different hordes descended upon him along with two ferals. I did everything I could to save him but it was too little too late. His dying breath was "A little closer.....little closer....there!" followed by an explosion. Dude went out with a bang. :black101:

Mine was far less cinematic. I had him on a scavenger run as well. But apparently just out of sight but still within the draw distance he ran through a middle of the horde and got mauled. I heard him crying for help and only just found him in time for him to light a molotov to kill himself and the horde.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

((gently caress accidentally closed my browser and lost all this once.))

Well, on a binge I finished the game. Thanks to the camera I missed the dramatic reveal at the end so I have no clue what the gently caress everyone was talking about in the last cutscene. :v:

So! Freaks, I've a few notes on them for folks if you like.

Ferals: These assholes are dangerous on your own. They do a lot of damage and love to knock you down repeatedly. They are, however not much tougher than regular zombies. A shot to the head will kill them immediately and they're capable of being knocked over for a finisher with a few heavy attacks.

Screamer: Basically the scrapped left4dead special. Basically screams to attract other zombies which also stuns you if you're close. A silenced bullet to it's head works well considering it's slow and has a fat head. If you can't, it's possible to rush up to it and shove to interrupt it's scream.

SWAT/Army zombies: Basically immune to bullets. Just bash their head in, no more powerful than regular zombies, honestly.

Bloater: The #1 reason for bailing your ride into a ditch or a nearby river. These dicks are basically kamikazes that explode into acid clouds that drain your stamina and health quickly. If you hit one with your car, it'll coat the vehicle and drain you while you're driving for a while. A shot to the gut instead of the head kills them safely

Big bastard: These are basically the closest thing to a boss zombie there is. Takes a lot of damage and multiple shots to the swaying head to kill. Best to keep your distance and unload your guns and any firebombs at it's face.Try to stay away from melee as it's grab attack is hugely damaging. If it grabs an ally, Rush in and begin swinging to make it drop your buddy. If you're lucky enough to have them on the open road, cars will knock them down, and a fast or heavy enough vehicle will kill them if you slam the gas and hit them again before they get up.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 7, 2013

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Captain McStabbin posted:

Who ever said you can only hit them once? :v:

I did, before I edited my post to clarify. :doh:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Can't wait till they patch the survivor complaint dialogue. People are bitching about "the lack of food is going to start riots." I'm way over the maximum food storage limit. :psyduck:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

404notfound posted:

Ah gently caress, I didn't realize how little time I'd have to get to Doc Hanson. Or maybe it's because I spent too much time dicking around before the Doc Hanson mission even became available...

RIP, Ed :smith:

Everybody seems to be having ed die in one way or another. I kept all the other storyline folks alive except him.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Lotish posted:

Who do I talk to or where do I go to build facilities for my base? I'm still at the church for now, but I got a message that I needed additional storage because I had excess medicine that went bad, and I'm not seeing how to fix that.

It's a tab in the menu that shows your base. (Just LB after looking at your inventory) move the cursor over an empty spot and you'll have the options of what to build, assuming you have the necessary materials.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Something I feel that may be understated is the ability to break open supplies. When you reach the limits of what you can store (And you will for food and medicine if you raid houses frequently) don't be afraid to bust them open. The common snack can seriously save your rear end in a pinch when you're getting swarmed and need all the stamina you can get to keep pulling off finishing moves. Same for medicine stashes, as it commonly gives out the good stuff like morphine and codeine.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Soulex posted:

Running over Zombie Hordes is my favoritest thing. It's way too much fun.

Also are there ferals just out and about chilling? Cause gently caress those things.

Yep. They're fast dodgy fuckers, so listen for their howls. A fully loaded firearm is still the way to go. Even if you can't hit them in the head, you can stun them with a shot to start melee-ing them. Don't be afraid to rapid fire as they get close, One headshot or a couple bodyshots to stun are all you need.

EDIT: Also, if you all pay any attention to the minimap, freaks on the radar are bigger red dots, so that maybe your only clue one is rushing you.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

I went to my first barricade mission, over the course of the mission I must've attracted at minimum 4 hoards, including a big fucker who took a lot of effort to put down. I eventually, after like 15 minutes, had to go "gently caress this" and sneak out the back door to kill a straggler or two.

So I'm feeling pretty good, after working through all my on hand supplies and breaking all my melee weapons. Two minutes after I leave, the same loving house is under siege again. :suicide:

I've had pretty good luck with special zombies so far. I hid from the big dude by keeping a shop counter between us and just shooting/beating the poo poo out of him. I went hunting a feral and I just beat the poo poo out of it singlehanded. I met a screamer, didn't know it was special, blew it's head up and it unleashed a hellish cry... Which attracted no zombies "That was weird :v:"

Is it just me or is aiming so hard as to make guns near useless? Even the aim assist seems to snap to the torso, and the zeds move so much it doesn't matter anyway.

I love this game :allears:

When the aim assist locks onto the torso, hit it again to snap to the head.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

*Whistles innocently while looking at his group of 23 survivors*

I may just be good at this game, I'm thinking. Haven't had anyone die in a long time.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Honestly? Nah. My resources aren't much of a problem. I've worked on making scavenging more efficient (IE every side mission I go to, I also loot the house/building it's at and make sure I'm always coming back with a rucksack. If not, the outposts are nearby to drop my stuff off and go loot another building) Food I'm always having an abundance of, including the garden I keep up. The only things that really run out are construction materials, but I'm finding them enough where I can keep building. Ammo is low, but I find it often enough to keep it steady, and I'm still in Marshall.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

GimpInBlack posted:

You know, I swear I set that line up to only play, like, 1% of the time. No idea why it's coming up so often for people.

Yeah no, it plays more than the more normal lines. EVERYONE says it. Either lilly is traumatized by now or everyone is a secret brony. (Yes, even the women)

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Jonny Retro posted:

It seems like it may. After my group nearly broke out in civil war over the band Foghat my Ed was really depressed. So I took him out and ran around with him for an hour, and he was perfectly fine afterwards.

Hey man, when the apocalypse comes, foghat is like, the light in the darkness man. :350:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Soonmot posted:

I really need to hang out at my base and listen to people more often.

If im not mistaken, these lines are in the reports of the shouting matches.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I like single player games but I still would like co-op for my friends. What I don't want is an MMO though. I don't want to deal with thousands of other random shitheads doing everything to gently caress up around me. MMOs in general just are really not my thing.

Sure, I'm probably the minority, but hell... I really can't see how they can pull an mmo off that won't be ruined by it's community if not it's design.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Wait, people expect the AI to do stuff? I just bring them along so the zombies have someone else to chew on besides me. If they go down, hey free instakills!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

How do people ever have trouble with influence? I'm always rolling around with it in the the hundreds if not thousands. Like the only time I've ever ran out of influence was in breakdown when I decided to take out all the lovely melee weapons in the stash that had accumulated and destroy them to make room for actually useful poo poo.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Godmachine posted:

Likewise. I'm on Lifeline, haven't even moved my base (if it's possible) and I have near 2k influence.

Now finding Materials is a different matter...

This is true. It's ridiculously scarce, so I'm basically constantly calling it in on the helipad. Occasionally ammo since that seems semi-scarce as well.

Edit: I may just start over though. I've had a couple npc's die including one the one that does the freak hunting sidequest. (Dumb poo poo got killed by charging a juggernaut) Plus, the whole 'now I know what I'm doing' nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I'm tickled my freak writeup from way back when this first came out is still on the front page. Still relevant, only that ferals now try to dodge your bullets like the motherfuckers that they are.

• Locked thread