Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

State of Decay is really fun but in respect to setting and story it never really bothers to step out of the shadow of other zombie media (particularly The Walking Dead), not that it should. It feels like the concept is kinda wrung dry. The entire appeal of the game is letting people do what they've always wanted to but never could in zombie games. With this and Dead State on the way it's a great time to be an apocalypse sim fan.

Is there a penalty for running dry of building materials beyond the occasional (frequent?) -15 morale loss from needed wall repairs? I noticed that when you shack up in the warehouse the daily materials demand progressively increases. I was wondering if maybe this was less of a thing with other home bases. In other words, do smaller home bases eat up less resources?

Honestly I'm really into the scavenging / day to day aspects of the game, but I always have the impulse to gently caress around and explore, so the implicit time limit of the game is kind of a drag. I understand why they made it the way they did, but still. I've already had to abandon one game because the ammo supply dried up. Hopefully when the game hits the PC there will be debug methods of replenishing stocks.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I think you need building materials for the workshop to repair items/cars, but I'm totally pulling that out of my rear end. Just seems like I use way more resources when I put damaged weapons in storage.
That makes a ton of sense actually. I had assumed maintenance costs increased with site improvements - by the end of my first game I was consuming like 22 building materials a day. But I also had 4 cars parked and probably ~60 weapons in storage, maybe more

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Nah, it points you to where an existing resource is. AFAIK all resources are finite (save for food and fuel, if you've the right facilities and a small group). I shut my first game down as I was a day away from having 0 ammo caches and using the radio to scope out more didn't work, because I had scrounged up everything in the first two towns and the abundant ammo resources in the third town were shut to me.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

starting area doesn't always have a gun, one of my games came through with 22 shotgun shells but no gun. Other times it's been a revolver or a 2-barrel shotty.

I think that game I had to restart because I played as Maya coming out of the ranger station and Marcus' AI bugged out, causing him to fall while we were climbing up the other side of the river. Started the game with broken legs.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Harmonica posted:

Does anyone understand what exactly outposts DO besides offering a safe area, anti-horde protection and the resupply points? Do they contribute resources as it states, or boost the counted total resources, or anything like that? It's strange that they can be set up as resource outposts but it doesn't really seem to actually DO anything. Love this game but in a few areas they stop short of having features that would seem intuitive/killer, like ability to station people at outposts, to tell people to follow you so you can do missions, things like that.
If you've got a smaller base (ie not Snyder) without storage, it makes much less sense to just haul rucksacks of everything you see because once you hit a certain threshold all surplus will just get tossed out overnight (since apparently ammo and wood are very sensitive to the elements, and gasoline goes bad when left out). Outposts only draw resources from whatever's still in the building but at a lower continuous rate, something like 2 per day or something, whereas a rucksack will yield the full 5-15 units (depending on the resource) instantly. In practical terms, this means that propping up an outpost in a gun shop will see the effective daily ammo usage rate drop by two (so instead of the count going down by 5 every day, it goes down by 3). Of course if you end up at Snyder this is more or less immaterial. But at a certain margin, drawing resources from outposts is smarter than just raiding them outright.

Also I started a new game and it actually seems more unstable, or at least bugs were never this frequent before. The first attempt actually caused my 360 to freak out because I got the zombie spawning bug at the Ranger's station and my system apparently sprung a memory leak as I vainly attempted to get Maya and Ed to run off to the truck with me. Then Maya got stuck inside a mountain (at least according to the map) and was only brought back by a cutscene requiring her presence at the Church. Then I went on a Scavenger mission and even though I heard a voice greeting me, there were no living people in the area and the quest auto-failed.

Also re: Infestations, they seem to pop up really frequently now. When I started at the church there were 2 within close proximity, so I cleared them out. A minute or two later another one popped up to the northeast in an Orchard (which is new btw), putting the church in a vulnerable position since there were literally no structures between the infestation and the base in which to set trapped outposts. I had to rush back to the base and fend off 3 successive hordes before going out and smoking out the nest. A few minutes after that, a new infestation cropped up in an abandoned house just to the east of the Orchard, off the Wilkinson road. Gonna haul rear end to Marshall ASAP.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 16, 2013

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

So they're basically restricting the scope of the downtime sim, right? I actually liked it when I would boot up the game after a day and find out that a nearby enclave of rando survivors had been overwhelmed and were either missing or dead. It sucked when it happened to my guys, and I very rarely traded with anyone so it wasn't a huge deal for me, but I felt like it was the best example of the gameworld being "persistent" in a way that doesn't directly relate to the survival of your group.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Can containers be "destroyed"? I went on a feral hunt and narrowed it down to a single shed, so I naturally threw a molotov through its open door and killed the thing, but when I searched the shed every container came up instantly as "Found Nothing".

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If workshops repair engines, you definitely don't need a second one for it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Dirty Karma posted:

How do you figure? They are in bed with Microsoft, money isn't an issue.
It's less a cash issue than a man hours issue, as indicated by the devs. Adapting an engine is serious work, as is adding a major feature like coop play. Microsoft could probably hire another studio's worth of programmers and designers to get it done but why would they? Why go to those lengths to add features to a game so many people have already paid for? The smart thing would be to plan it into a sequel, as they are currently doing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

thehumandignity posted:

So... That... That just doesn't make any sense. NPC's can lug poo poo around all on their own... Unless they're already there? :psyduck:
Anything else would probably a coding nightmare. Making it so that only NPCs marked as idle and at base can undertake tasks is a simple way of eliminating the likely possibility of STALKER-level AI weirdness. Companions running off unprompted, tasks overwriting each other and glitching out, survivors being task-locked out of playability, etc. The alternative would probably be to eliminate the base AI's ability to do things on its own, which by itself isn't a particularly popular feature but it's important to the atmosphere of the game. It's not meant to be a total zombie survival sim. We'll be waiting on Dead State for that. It'll be a different style of game but one that's likely to thoroughly provide for many of the feature shortcomings in State of Decay.

homeless snail posted:

Any resources in the building get eaten when you turn it into an outpost, and then the outpost will trickle out whatever resource was most plentiful.
This isn't true, at least in the sense that it implies you get more resources from an outpost than a non-outpost building.* Outposts parcel out existing unclaimed resources in a building every day. If you nick all the unclaimed resources, the outpost is tapped out like a normal building but the trap functions remain. If you make a cleaned out building an outpost, it doesn't have any resource functions.

That doesn't make much sense on its face but it's more sensible if you're working with a small home base with low resource thresholds. Outposts allow you to automatically gain small amounts of supplies where in many cases, lugging a rucksack back to base would result in some portion of the haul being automatically discarded. So they're a bulwark against resource waste, at least in the early game. When you move to the trucking warehouse there stops being a reason not to just clean house.

Anyway, your first instinct as a new player is going to be to set up outposts along a supply route, and while that's not a bad strategy, their optimal use is actually as a defensive cluster around your base. In both the church and the warehouse you can have all street access to the base covered by a handful of outposts, allowing you to automatically defang horde rushes.

* Unless it was changed in a title update, I guess

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 21, 2013

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There's a mission that starts after you rescue Lily's brother, you'll have to go on a short tour with him and then the option will be available.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

When survivor groups request to join, they're randomly generated. The people you start with are not.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The penalty for ignoring most emergent quests is pretty minimal. Long as you're collecting resources consistently and doing a few (saving runners, etc) you should be fine. I don't usually do "besieged" missions unless I'm really bored, because they're long, tend to attract at least one juggernaut and net you very little reward (unless you're hard up for bullets or have a lot of empty beds).

Above all else, you'll want to keep infestations in check, since they directly correlate to the frequency of special zombie and horde spawning when you're out and about. A preponderance of them will also murder your morale.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 28, 2013

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm only 3 stages into Breakdown and I'm already having to unlearn the hard-charging play style I cultivate when I realized how easy the original game was. Gonna to have to go back to the slow and quiet tactics I used when it still seemed like a bad idea to get into fights.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Mod support is the big PC advantage but I'm personally unsure of any "must-have" mods so far.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

My issue was that blunt weapons are much much much more common than edged weapons. I've never been in a position where I literally had no more blunt weapons left in my stash.

Then again I'm sure you could raid fields and campgrounds and hope for the best. It's just that houses and toolsheds full of blunt weapons are far more accessible.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

That's why you have multiple levels ala Breakdown. Most players succeed some but hit a wall eventually

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

"Black Friday" is a nice touch.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

I just picked this up in the sale. Wondering why in game it looks kind of poo poo, like it's not set to a native resolution. Graphics are set to ultra and my resolution is my monitor's native. Am I missing something?
It's one of those games that traded visual fidelity for scope. A big studio didn't make it. So it's got that sort of washed out quality and the textures and geometry are sometimes weird.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If you're in a pinch and need to clear some hordes the quickest option is to run a few down with a car. I don't know if it's been patched out but it used to be the case that cars took far less damage backing into zombies than hitting them dead-on. They still seem to take less damage when beamed with the driver's side door (and if you're an achievement chaser doing so in Breakdown brings you closer to a very difficult goal that nets you a pretty great survivor). Note that if you're camped out at the Church you'll still have to deal with woods-bound hordes the old-fashioned way. But road-wandering hordes should really never threaten your base.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Breakdown is the game most everyone wanted (given that the OC was truncated and incomplete) but it does actually help for new players to work through the OC up through, say... the point where you're asked to change bases. It's a solid intro to the gameplay. Breakdown is pretty rough on new players by comparison.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Eruonen posted:

What specializations do you guys generally pick? Also, do they affect the AI in any real way or mostly the player? (especially stuff like Rage. I understand focus aim not doing much for NPCs)

Also, do certain weapon types work better for certain characters or is it just a speed vs power thing?
IIRC, blunt weapons are all-around good for any character. Characters with Finesse as a skill are better served by bladed weapons. Keep your heavy weapons only for characters with Powerhouse and they will become loving tanks.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Visual upgrades are all well and good, but I'd rather they had figured a way to reimplement all those glaring cuts in the main game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I think it was supposed to be an MMO originally. Whatever the case, it was immensely successful on the 360 and I think the studio is partially owned by Microsoft (?) so yeah, we'll be seeing SOMETHING, hopefully. Something both fun and finished

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

My take: Go at your own pace and don't sweat the details. MOST side missions, when left to expire, generate a morale hit and maybe a slight resource drain, both of which will be dwarfed by the gains you make doing other things. I'd say leave the infestations until you're comfortable with combat (but be sure to get some trapped outposts around your base, since the infestations will spawn hordes), and definitely stay away from other survivors' base defenses until you've got it down, as they'll invariably involve a juggernaut or two. Be sure to note the distinction between base defense and offers to join you, because the latter usually has no downsides, provided you've got room for more people.

Beyond that, retrieving lost survivors is usually not a super pressing issue unless you're short on hands to go on supply runs. They'll usually (usually) just take a morale hit and come home, but if you've got the time, might as well go get them. I only do the zombie hunt missions when there's literally nothing else to do, though armored zombie hunts are loving cakewalks unless you somehow only use guns.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

IIRC the game is pretty skittish about letting survivors die from expired missions (though it wasn't originally, in the days when it was basically a single-player MMO that simulated time between game sessions). One thing - when you help a survivor in trouble, you're tasked with bringing them back to base. Other missions will be inaccessible during this time but if you need help with supply runs, the person you're in the process of "rescuing" will tag along with you and fight zombies. I think you can also count on them to help you clear infestations, since they exist independently of missions.

• Locked thread