Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I've put about 20 hours into this now (about four playing the story mode, the rest in Breakdown) and this game is awesome. Been fortunate thus far I suppose to not be screwed by bugs/RNG stuff that I see everyone else talking about. The lack of control of survivors at base is maybe my biggest gripe, but I don't really have an issue with the rest of it. Maybe my expectations were greatly lowered by playing that sack of crap Fort Zombie a few years back (it's basically the same theme and gameplay - go on missions to gather survivors and resources, defend a home base, fighting even a few zombies at a time can be a threat, etc.), but SoD does everything that game tried 100 times better and it's really hard for me to put down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I really, really, really want to like this game, but I'm finding myself completely lost in its complexity. I have a lot of questions that this game hasn't really explained to me. Is there some kind of super-informative video that can go into each of the mechanics? All I see on youtube are semi-blind runs by insufferable people.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVjTwX3IAgV2RLqIthgPsClzfWT_1bdKg

I skimmed through a few of these after the first couple of hours of play, and they were of some help.

Also check here, it answered a few questions I had early on: http://stateofdecay.wikia.com/wiki/State_of_Decay_Wiki

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

CaptainJuan posted:

Snyders is objectively the best, pretty much. Tons of construction slots, tons of parking spaces, easily surrounded by its 8 outposts... the only thing it can't do (i think?) is have a munitions shop.

To add on to this, I would usually do the Savini house before Snyders, since it's pretty easily defensible due to the terrain. I tried doing the Alamo for the hell of it once and was like "nope" once I saw where it was located, zombies can hit you from all directions.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

New patch today:

- Fixed several instances of community members standing idle.
- Players will no longer see an event called CHEAT CHEAT CHEAT. This was a developer-only fate card that didn't get removed before going live. Sorry, everyone.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Chemical Incendiary research at Snyder's. Players may now satisfy the prerequisites with the built-in workshop (and not with other workshops).
- Synced stealth kills vs. walls and low walls now properly credit the Ninja challenge.
- Inventory stockpiles are now limited to 120 instead of 60.
- We no longer zero out meds and snacks on next day and instead just subtract home population
- Fix for some story missions not progressing (those not getting the Watchtower mission at the Grange).

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Yar The Pirate posted:

I'd bet that since State of Decay did so well on the PC and 360, Microsoft would try to leverage that Class 4 MMO into an Xbone exclusive.

Yeah, I would assume at this point that if they're doing business with MS, MS would want it for the Xbone and the heck with the PC.

This makes me think about what happened with Kingdoms of Amalur, which was another single-player game that was going to be the springboard into an MMO and, well, that didn't go so well (more due to the mismanagement of the company than any actual game production though).

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Finally finished up the vanilla version of the game last night just to grab the story-related achievements, and I'm happy I can get back to Breakdown now because that was sort of pointless. The story missions all just seemed to be there just to force you to check out different points of the map and to fight special zombies, and the driving just to see a short cutscene was maddening. I actually held off moving my people out of the church and to Snyder's until the Wilkerson's stuff was done because I didn't want to be driving across the entire map to get to it.

I should be thankful that none of the story missions glitched out and stopped showing up, but there were a few times there I was certain it was going to happen. I basically had to drag out the last part of the game over two nights (the Army missions) because they took forever to come up. Near the end, I came back to the base and one of those cutscenes played (with Doc Hansen); I left the base for two minutes, came back and there was a cutscene with Sgt. Tan. I started following him out of the building and wondered where he was going, and I wonder if the missions not popping for people is because an NPC is getting stuck somewhere after they spawn for a cutscene or mission.

Still, I'm having way more fun with this game than I thought I was.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Rasmussen posted:

I suck pretty bad at the base game, but wanted a storyless sandbox so I got Breakdown and even at level 1 I suck so bad. Everything feels urgent and zeds seem to travel in large groups. I've gotten going a couple times but it seems more luck than anything. Great game though!

Level 1 Breakdown can be intense the first hour or so, if only because the game always seems to spawn an infestation and hordes nearby within 15 minutes of you picking a base. My priorities in the start are a) lock down a building or two nearby as outposts to handle incoming hordes, and b) get fuel ASAP to extend the borders. Granted, if you're unfamiliar with the map, fuel can be tricky to find at the start - just check gas stations and construction sites/garages. Once you get an outpost or two up, that will take off a lot of pressure from incoming hordes. Ignore any missions that involve you finding/meeting strangers until you get your base up and running, because once you do the latter, the former is a lot easier to handle.

Even doing the above, you may still have to personally be around to deal with at least one horde attacking a base (the loving Alamo, every loving time - something about a horde approaching through that parking lot behind the office building from the west never trips the bombs).

If you survive that initial part, the rest should be a piece of cake. Until you up the difficulty enough, that is.

The funny part is if you do it like I did and spend a ton of time in Breakdown first and then go back to the vanilla game's story mode, you will find the story mode incredibly easy by comparison.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

El Seven posted:

DLC 2 aka Lifeline news

That sounds interesting. Usually the hairiest time in SoD (Breakdown at least) is the first hour or so where you have little to nothing and build it up; it would be neat to play a scenario where you have everything at the start, lose it as you go and see how long you can survive.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Synnr posted:

So I got this as a gift and the wiki isn't all that helpful. How exactly does resource gathering work in regard to outposts? It looks like there is a hierarchy (food first and fuel last I'm guessing) it uses in choosing the resource, so is there a point in leaving rucksacks of other resources in there as well? What about multiples of the same type, like a warehouse with 3 boxes of construction materials?

Also does the resource menu show your daily losses minus whatever gains from outposts? I saw a post somewhere saying it actually wasn't, but that seems like the dumbest thing.

What is stated here was generally correct, at least the last time I played a few months back. In regard to your questions:

An outpost gives you 3 resources (or reduces consumption of that resource by 3, however you want to look at it) on a daily basis.

When multiple resources are in a building you call to turn into an outpost, the building will use, alphabetically, the first resource it finds: ammo > fuel > food > materials > medicine. So if you want a building with two stashes (say, food and medicine) to specifically be a medicine outpost (outposts can only ever give out one resource), you need to remove the food source first by either breaking it down or turning it into a rucksack.

Multiples of the same type don't affect the 3-resource output.

And yes, previously the resource menu was bugged (I think) and not accurately showing the resources being lost/gained correctly.

However!

It looks like the game got patched late last month with this in the notes:

Outposts and Resources

Corrected the daily resource calculations on asset page of journal
Capped the number of resources you can receive on subsequent offline days at 15
New outpost resource model
Each outpost costs 1 material for upkeep for the first day you're offline
All resource outpost types now correctly generate resources
If an outpost contains resources it generates 3 of that resource

I haven't played the game since the patch went in, so they're claiming they fixed the journal stuff and changed the output model (for example, fuel outposts previous to this patch were worthless because they never gave you fuel). So unfortunately I can't give more info...maybe this will give me an excuse to start playing it again...

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Synnr posted:

I appreciate the response, not sure why that wiki was initially linking me to stub articles. As to the patch notes, I'm not sure how fixed that is. I was sitting at 0, then at -3 ammo at varying times for some reason, but I removed an older outpost from the gun shop by the church and dropped one in the police station in Marshall to clear it out a bit...and now I'm at -15. I guess that makes sense if everyone is always shooting? I have 2 ammo outposts, so I thought it would go down a bit more given that wiki explanation. Little annoying now! I guess I'll just have to remove some construction materials outposts and swap for ammo places, I dunno.

IIRC, AI-controlled survivors do not actually "use" ammo individually - the ammo resource for your base goes down based on the number of survivors currently in your base when the end of the day event is triggered (or if there are projects that you initiate which manually consume it). Not knowing what you were doing in your game, if your ammo was that low, you may have recruited more people than you had ammo resources for, and if so, you need to hoof it yourself to bring more ammo rucksacks back to base, or radio in for survivors to get more - one or two ammo outposts aren't going to replenish you completely.

I know this is one of the things about the game that people always say they have issues with, but I don't think I've ever run out of a resource that wasn't construction materials I was knowingly using to build additions to the base. It's pretty easy in maybe a two-hour play session to top off all of your resources before you quit for the day, and I've never returned to the game the following real-time day to find my base with negative resources. Again, unfortunately, I haven't played it in a while, so maybe something's changed since then.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

bitcoin bastard posted:

I saw it send me to a warehouse I had previously cleaned out once. I had cleaned out most of Spencer's Mill at that point, but hadn't gone into the city much, so I'm sure there were still construction materials somewhere on the map. Maybe it spawns a new thing if there are no existing things within X meters?

Looking around on some of the forums and the wiki, there appears to be conflicting info on whether it's spawning something new or just pinpointing something that's already there - one source says even if you make the call and Lily tells you where to look, there's a chance that nothing will spawn. But some people think that's a bug. I've never used it so I can't say for sure.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

The main story mode really feels like an extended tutorial from start to end - the Breakdown DLC is a lot more fun, I thought. In fact, I had put so much time into Breakdown before playing the story mode that I blew through it without moving the base from the church (well, almost - moved to Snyders for the last hour or two) since I knew where everything was.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Synnr posted:

I think I'll likely try out breakdown when I get back from the hospital, is it literally just restarting repeatedly and surviving x number of zombies/collect resources until you can find an RV to run away with?

Well, it gets harder with each level, so the sort of stuff you can pull in the story mode (one super guy running around fighting everything) will get you killed. You need to start using more stealth/distraction and less fighting, which makes things a little more tense. It can also take a while to get the RV running, so the repetition isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Synnr posted:

Wasn't an issue I actually thought about in the story mode, but can one person fill two facility slots that require a trait?

No, I think the game can only assign them to one facility at a time.

quote:

You carry all your stash stuff forward, right? So I can just stick a couple high value items in my inventory to jumpstart influence levels on the next level? Do the heroes you unlock show up as well, or ...are you supposed to unlock them every level?

Yes and yes (and is a recommended strategy) to the stash questions.

How the hero unlocks works as follows: in the current game where you satisfy the unlock requirement, you will shortly thereafter receive a "someone wants to join our group" call from Lily, and if you head there, it's that hero. In all games after you unlocked that hero, they will randomly spawn like other potential survivors.

quote:

Also, large backpacks? Are they just much rarer in breakdown or something? I have a dozen smalls, and more that I never picked up floating around in houses, but only two large ones. My two powerhouse runners I am going to stuff full of meth and morphine for the next level start got them, but my backup "Jacob has -60% vitality and stamina, needs to rest" guys could use a couple as well.

Don't think there's anything concrete, but yes, in my Breakdown experience, they become harder to find as you progress.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Well, I guess I know what I'm doing next week. Trailer looks promising.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

http://store.steampowered.com/app/259041/

"State of Decay - Highway Patrol"

:confused:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

FadedReality posted:

Lifeline is super punishing if you try to play it the same way as (early) Breakdown or vanilla. I got cocky having assault rifles and shotguns at my disposal from the get go and have lost 3 civilian survivors and an important asset due to running around without a silencer. The zombie density is way higher so firing a loud gun doesn't just bring a trickle two or three zombies at a time. It brings enough that having to reload will probably end with someone dead.

I started to get frustrated before realizing it was me that was loving up by not rolling around with a melee survivor until I could churn out silencers. I'm going to start over and get it right this time.

Old habits die hard. At the start of the game, I took one look at that locker filled with guns and ignored it. Got two good melee weapons, a pistol (eventually silenced) with just enough ammo chambered, twinkies and trucker pills. I only picked up a rifle during the initial siege (or I guess the second, not counting the one right at the start of the game).

I will say this, I've encountered a lot more glitches in just two hours of Lifeline than in nearly 50 hours of vanilla/Breakdown, which is kind of disappointing.

The asset reuse is pretty heavy, but I can overlook all of that for vehicle storage, that is some wonderful stuff right there.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Nemo Iudex posted:

drat it. Just bought this game in the steam sale, got up to the point where you meet the survivors in the church, went to ascend the tower to look around, couldn't figure out how to get down the ladder safely and ended up walking off to my death.

I like roguelikes and permadeath but this felt a bit bullshit. How do you get down ladders without flinging yourself off to your death?

If you just walk (not sprint) near a ladder, your character should automatically get on it. As far as I can recall, the only accidental falls I've had were if I was trying to sprint to the edge of something with a ladder. If anything, I get annoyed because I'll be walking around on a platform just to look around and the game automatically puts my character on the ladder when I get near it. That's really all there is to it.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

There's a list of traits here, for the most part they are as good or bad as they sound. Some are merely flavor text and don't really change anything. Any trait that will negatively effect that character will be shown in their description when you look at them via the character menu.

As for how the base updating thing while you're not playing works - well, I want to say the devs have not completely detailed how it all works. Basically, when you close the game and restart your next session, the game checks if one "real world" day has passed (or I think midnight real-world time - if you save at 11:58 pm then restart the game after midnight, changes will take place) and makes the adjustments to your base and characters. These effects drop off dramatically after two or three real-world days passing. I know people have complained about people dying and having negative resources after these switches, but I've personally never encountered anything so drastic, even after a week of playing between sessions.

That said, here's what you can do to minimize these effects:

Keep your base's morale as high as possible. You can do this by completing missions, killing zombie hordes and doing things people request of you. You'll find the game will toss several missions at you simultaneously, all of which will randomly fail if you don't do them, and you may have no way to do them all - don't panic. You're not expected to do them all, so you'll have to decide what ones to take based on what you need. Generally, I prioritize missions that help out survivors already at my base and clearing out infested locations, and tend to ignore ones with neighbors (enclaves, three or so people with their own stash) or stranded people unless I need to recruit more people. Note that THESE people can die if you don't help them and enough time passes. Story missions in vanilla SoD, I think, are untimed - the major problem with them is sometimes they don't pop up which can screw your game.

Resources - Food and construction materials are very important, the former so people don't starve and the latter for building facilities, making items and for not getting you hosed by random events that require their use. Medicine is not super useful, until someone at your base gets sick or wounded, then it's very important. Ammo is important, but not in the way you might think - mainly you can use it to build stuff. I want to say it was confirmed somewhere that NPC survivors do NOT actually use up individual ammo in the stash, but if you have no ammo resources, they won't be able to defend the base walls. Fuel is important for one major thing - keeping your outposts supplied with mines, and also for building items.

Facilities - these are not hard-and-fast rules, but you should build a medical area, at least a basic workshop, and someplace to sleep ASAP. Increasing supply room for your resources is also important. I read online where people are like "I'm constantly running out of resources and everyone is tired and sick," and then they off-handedly reveal they have like over 20 people at their base, which is ridiculous and totally unnecessary. I never recruit more people than I have sleeping space for, but that's just me - and again, using that metric, I have never come back to a game finding everything in utter disarray.

Outposts - look at the map, see what streets zombie hordes will come down to reach your base, and build outposts on key corners and streets to catch them with your mine traps (again, fuel is important for this, but it costs very little and is a MAJOR help to defending). How many outposts you have depends on the size of your base - generally if you have at least one outpost for each resource, you should be fine (although if I can put more than one each, I do extra construction materials). I think they recently changed how outposts do supplies, so you may want to read patch notes to see what's up with that.

Survivors - make sure to bring survivors on missions with you (approach and talk to them, they give you a button prompt - think it's Y on the 360 controller), and if Lily alerts you to one of your survivors needing help somewhere in the city, help them. Both of these things increase a survivor's trust in you, and when that's high enough, they become "friends" and you can switch to them when your character becomes tired. This is critically important in another way - don't rely on using just two or three super characters, because if you do that and they get killed, you're gonna be in a difficult spot (I'm lying, you can do this pretty easily in the vanilla game, but it's harder to do in Breakdown). Make friends, switch off and let good characters get rest, take unexperienced people out on random missions and such to build their skills up.

Generally, if you finish a session with a) your morale bar at least 3/4 of the way to full (preferably totally filled and b) not less than 10 of food, construction material and medicine (and possibly ammo), you should not be totally screwed when you come back. If you have more survivors than your base can reasonably support, you might have issues. If you have sick people, make sure you have a medical area built and at least more than 10 medicine - I have always done this and no one who was sick at my base when I came back to play again ever died. I want to say the resource tracker, which shows how much you use on a daily basis, is not exact and possibly hosed up - just make sure your actual supply is larger than what it says is being consumed.

There's a guide here that talks about a lot of this and has some decent advice.

^^And I also agree with stuff Rookersh says above, good advice (and he said what I was basically trying to say about consumption much better).

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 31, 2014

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

prussian advisor posted:

Excellent advice from both posts, I appreciate it.

Is there any real reason not to immediately jump into Breakdown? That's the mode I'm primarily interested in.

Nope. As a matter of fact, I put nearly 20 hours into Breakdown before I started the vanilla game. Just play a Level 1 Breakdown game for as long as you like to get used to stuff - actually, the first hour or two of Breakdown is a lot more difficult than vanilla (and a lot more satisfying), but if you survive you will learn enough to breeze through the story mode.

If you want something a little more safe, play story mode - it slowly introduces all of the game elements and is really like a big tutorial. It's really, really hard to completely screw yourself over in story mode.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

LeJackal posted:

I've got a good post on weapons you should read, let me get it.

Okay, so here is some information about weapons, durability, and so on.
All your melee weapons in SoD have three factors; Type, Weight, and Durability. Type can be Heavy(Big swings), Blunt (Knockdown chance), and Sharp (Insta-kill chance). Weight is self-explanatory. Durability governs how tough the weapon is, and how many Zed skulls you can crack open with it before it becomes damaged (turns yellow) and then finally breaks.

One of the best weapons is shown here:

The Wrench has 5 Durability, the maximum, and weighs only a single pound. A 5:1 Durability/Weight ratio is very nice.

So, how can you find weapons and keep them from breaking?

First, maintain your weapons. Build a Workshop at your Home Base. This will automatically repair and refresh the amount of damage your weapons can take over the course of every night if it is stored in your locker. It can be easy to remember if you swap weapons every time a fatigued Survivor returns to base - put the weapon they were using in the supply locker (with your loot) and equip them a new one before switching to another character. Never leave a character unarmed, in case their AI sends them on a mission! Maintaining weapons is very important, as the valley is a closed system and if you break every weapon no more will spawn.

Secondly, find yourself more weapons. Houses can be very random, but many good tools will spawn at locations in Spencer's Mill. Construction Sites and Warehouses are likely to contain Blunt Weapons like Crowbars, Nail Pullers, Pipe Wrenches and Prybars. You can also check Garages and Industrial Stores. There is a Construction Site right outside the church driveway, and a Warehouse behind the church across a field.

I hope this helps you!

This is also excellent advice. I always try to carry two one-hand blunt weapons (one for backup if I can't make it back to base) and one silenced pistol. The melee weapons are for the regular zombies; the pistol is great for head-shotting Screamers and Bloaters. Ferals are a little more tricky, but if you get the drop on them, they're easy for head-shots too. Juggernauts are a different story; you can slowly beat them or shoot them to death, but they go down quick with explosives or fire. The problem is survivors are immune to melee and gunfire damage but die real quick to explosives and fire. I just bring people I don't like on those missions ;)

If you find someone with the Powerhouse skill, throw all your two-handed heavy weapons at them, because the skill increases their ability with those weapons and to instant-kill enemies. These characters are supremely awesome in fights against hordes or in other special missions that toss a lot of zombies at you, you can cut through them like butter.

There's also been advice in this thread on what kind of characters are good with edged weapons, but since those weapons are not durable on their own without the right skills for it, I've barely used them. Their advantage is they are also awesome at one-hit killing.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

prussian advisor posted:

Okay, this is starting to make a little more sense now.

Is the town map always the same, by the way? And if you put down an outpost before you join a home base, can you stash things in there ahead of time? Assuming that you even can, of course, since I haven't tried.

The town map is always the same in vanilla SoD/Breakdown.

You can't put up an outpost until you've joined a home base.

Sorry, I know I said "yep jump right into Breakdown" but that first start is real hard; some great advice for that was already posted (get one outpost up ASAP covering the street your base is on, that will help with hordes, mow 'em down with cars, etc.)

The first hour or two of a level-one Breakdown is always a mad scramble for supplies, but if you can survive the first group of hordes, it will get a lot easier on you.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, there's a bunch of people on the Steam forums (lovely as they may be) who have pointed out the same thing, and I've witnessed it as well. The hysterical part is this is behavior that Undead Labs said they corrected a few patches ago since survivors at a base would do the same thing. You'd think they'd have noticed it developing Lifeline, seeing as how base attacks are a major part of the game now...

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

You're all forgetting Fort Zombie - and for good reason, it's terrible.

State of Decay is pretty much Skyrim compared to that game.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

To add on to this, you can only switch to people in your roster who have the "friend" status listed on them; anyone who is not a friend yet, there should be a little green bar under them that shows how close they are to becoming a friend. You raise this by going on missions with your allies who ask you to do stuff, going on missions where they are in trouble and need help, or (I think) asking them to come along with you to do stuff in general.

For example, in the base game, you start out as friends with Ed and Maya, and you need to do stuff with the other survivors to raise their friendship with you.

It's funny because you can always tell who's starting Breakdown because that start is rough. Early in you should look for coffee, energy drinks and trucker pills to restore your stamina until you can do enough stuff with other people to switch to them.

Edit: ^^ whoops, yeah, sounds like you need to get more beds so more people can rest, in addition to what I posted above.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 1, 2014

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

khy posted:

Anyway. I have questions.

1) Why is a truck no sturdier than a sports car, coupe, hatchback, or station wagon?

2) Does hitting a zombie with the vehicle door count as vehicle damage (Meaning does it damage the engine so it starts to smoke)?

3) Is there a hard limit to how many vehicles can be repaired by parking them in my 'parking area' when I have an upgraded workshop?

4) How many survivors SHOULD I have? Before Shayla Self-Sufficient got herself ripped in half, I had 11 and like 6 or 7 were playable. I had to use one of the tent areas outside the church as a bunk bed area, which gave me 16 beds, but do I really need that many?

5) How can I tell whether or not a melee weapon I find is better than my current one? Does it go solely on weight?

6) How do I tell which missions are time-sensitive so I know whether or not I'm going to lose morale for not doing them?

1) Trucks actually are a little sturdier but not by much (see here)

2) I want to say it doesn't damage the car, or at least not as much as hitting them with any other part of the car.

3) Yes, the bigger the home base, the more parking spots it has for cars to be repaired - you can see the available parking spaces on your menu page where you pick what to build at the base.

4) I don't think there's a magic number, although you should try not to exceed more than 2 people for each bed area. You can go over it but it's not really necessary, I beat the base game with maybe 8-9 people in my group and only really using 4-5 of them, and in Breakdown you're forced to only pick five when you go to a new level.

5) When you look at a weapon in your inventory, you will see a weight and durability rating at the bottom - you want 4-5 durability weapons with low weight (crowbar and pipe wrench are excellent by this metric for one-handed blunt weapons, etc.)

6) In the base game, pretty much any mission with a generic direction (help the survivors, kill the hordes, hunt the [special zombie]) are time-based. The story missions are usually pretty specific with NPC names and locations. After a while you get used to which stock phrases Lily uses when announcing the time-based random missions, the story missions usually have unique dialogue. If you look up some faqs or wikis online, they should have lists of which missions are which.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Coolguye posted:

Also it's better to assume that all missions are time sensitive. Even numerous story missions will expire and have consequences you don't want, like Ed not getting a doctor.

This is true, thanks for pointing that out.

quote:

It is also pretty substantially bad luck that khy's been seeing so many Juggernauts. Juggernaut freak hunt missions are honestly ones I just skip, the reward is too small for how many resources a Juggernaut requires, and they are by far the least common Freak in the 'wild'. I can't really imagine playing without Freaks, they do a huge amount for making the game interesting, but Juggernauts are kinda bullshit. At least with a decent Melee score they are entirely beatable with that baseball bat, but if you think the AI is ever gonna pull that off, lol.

I had a game of Breakdown a few months back where during three consecutive "help the enclave"/barricade missions, a juggernaut would spawn at the end. The second time, a second juggernaut just strolling around the neighborhood joined in. The last time I was sure to bring mines and explosives, that helped a lot.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Tai posted:

How much of my poo poo is going to be hosed up if I don't play for a week or something along that time frame? Its the only negative effect I see so far with the game if I decide not to play for awhile and then coming back to sod all influence, no food, low morale etc.

The effects of the out-of-game simulation drop off significantly after two real days (per the devs) - essentially, the next time you start the game, it checks when the last time you played was and calculates from there. You will be fine for a week as long as you do the following the last time you play: get your morale as high as possible, have a decent amount of all your supplies (try not to have anything under 10 for example), have beds/medical area. As sebmojo points out above, if you're getting messages someone is sick, not having medicine/a medical area will increase the likelihood someone will die when you return. Also, the more outposts you have up, the better, as they give a better chance for survivors out on missions to come back on their own.

Basically if you can aim to have most of your supplies and morale maxed out (or maybe more realistically more than 50% of each supply your base can hold) each time you quit the game, you should encounter minimal problems. To this day I've never come back, even after a week, to dead/missing survivors and everything trashed as long as I did the above.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

NeoSeeker posted:

They do really need to expand upon the game more and make it exploration open world, no objectives except survive zombie game. Project zomboid is an example of this, sad thing is it seems it's the best we can do at the moment (it's a sprite based isometric game).

Sorry to continue the derail, but if you're interested in a zombie apocalypse game with open world exploration and no (current) objectives other than survival (since you also mentioned PZ), you should really check out 7 Days to Die if you already haven't.

I need to sit down and play Lifeline sometime soon. I got it when it came out and then decided to wait until it was patched. Did they clean it up at all? I was hitting some bugs maybe an hour into it that just made me say "nope."

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

NeoSeeker posted:

Fake Edit:
\/ of course there are probably a bunch of great zombie survival rougelikes. Also 7 Days to Die does look a bit better than this. It's probably because of the FPS viewmode. The voxel based world and base building helps a lot. The FOV view model really bugs me though, it looks warped and the animations are stiff. Is it going to get multiplayer?

Funny you mention the zombie animation, since the next big update for 7D2D is supposedly going to be giving the zombies motion-captured animation so that they're not so static and stiff.

7D2D also already has multiplayer; in fact, the thread for it in PGS is way more active than the Games forum one (Skan can probably speak more to that as I've never touched MP).

The game is still in alpha and has a long way to go, but it's hooked me the same way Minecraft survival mode in its alpha did. It's not like MC where you can just carry a few blocks to throw up around you at night to survive, the zombies in 7D2D will actively try to tear poo poo down to get to you (this can be exploited though, if you build something on stilts/pillars or burrow deep underground you are 99% safe - they're promising better AI for the zombies down the road).

You know how in zombie movies the protagonists at some point try to barricade themselves in somewhere, and when the zombies attack they're half trying to fight them off and half trying to repair what they're hiding in? 7D2D does that experience really, really well. I never feel like I'm truly fighting for my life in SoD, but I do in 7D2D :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

ChogsEnhour posted:

Who else is excited to pick up the Year One re-polish tomorrow?

Can't believe this thread is dead and seven pages back with it coming out tomorrow. Anyone know what time it unlocks? (GMT)

Looks like it unlocks at the usual time (1 pm EST - is that 6 pm GMT?)

As for the re-release - it's a little too late, I think, especially if you already had the original and DLC - doesn't seem to add much outside of improved graphics, the other things they're adding aren't going to make me buy it again for $20. The Xbone reviews for it seem to indicate that it shares a lot of the same glitches as the original version, which doesn't sound promising either.

• Locked thread