Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Quick question regarding Last Light, which I'm installing on steam right now. Do I need to buy Ranger Mode to remove the HUD or is there an option in game that accomplishes the same thing?

(Sorry I don't want to google anything because I don't want anything spoiled)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

I think it's purchase only mate.

Thanks for the heads up. I was probably going to plunk down the five bucks anyway but now it looks like I have to :banjo:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dogen posted:

I think it was pointed out somewhere in this thread you can enable it by editing a .cfg file or something

While we're at it: is there anyway to ever check your total ammunition, no not military grade rounds, if you're playing on Ranger mode? In Metro 2033 you could either hold T to check the time you had on your filter or bring up your lighter/notebook by holding M. Neither of these methods or checking the inventory screen with tab seem to work.

P.S. Last Light is impeccable thus far. I played through 2033 a hell of a lot and everything so far just feels so right.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 4, 2013

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks for spoiling that for me.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

Of FFS. I knew I forgot something. So sorry! :doh:

If it's any consolation the spoiler barely has little to no bearing on the plot. Regardless, sorry once again. I usually don't forget spoiler tags.

No worries. I only read the first part of your post and instantly stopped reading when I learned about something I didn't already know. And of all the things to have spoiled it bothers me the least. I just figured you should add tags for anyone else.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dogen posted:

Yeah normal kind of sucks about this, although I didn't have the problem to that degree. And it wasn't progressive, it just seemed like some random nosalises in some locations were more hardy. Playing on ranger pretty much fixed this right up.

The thread title should be changed to "just play it on ranger mode"

I completely ran out of ammunition on several occasions when fighting mutants. Thank god I ran across a Tihar/Helsing or whatever it's called in this. It works just as well as a shotgun; the only trade off is incredible ammunition efficiency for the spread buckshot provides.

I'm nearly finished with the game I think and I have to say even though I had ridiculously high hopes for Last Light I'm completely blown away. All of the animations are fluid and beautiful, the environments are astonishingly detailed, the enemy AI is noticeably more robust and inventory management actually makes sense this time around. Hell, the game is even longer than I thought it would be to boot. I already know I'm going to have even more playthroughs of this than I did for 2033, sniper runs, SMG/pistol runs and I'm particularly looking forward to a pneumatic weapons only run right after I finish this one. Those ball bearings are so just satisfying :allears:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Is it just me or is the Valve kind of a piece of junk? I picked it up early on and noticed that it only seems to reliably oneshot mutants on the first mission. Any other time you still need to hit them in the head, which begs the question: why the hell am I supposed to use this thing?

Fantastic new trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Ja_OOc10k From the video description I doubt that it's advertising anything but who knows.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 5, 2013

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dogen posted:

Yeah on non-ranger it has that problem, and in ranger you can't really afford to devote a slot to it. Not much it can do that a 2x scope RPK can't. Not much call for long range sniping in the game as a whole.

Sniping has it's uses, they're just incredibly few and far between. I actually managed to kill several of the larger monsters on the Marshes level with a single Valve round. Although 95% of the time whatever a Valve can do a Tihar will do better and with all of the other advantages a pneumatic weapon brings.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

One thing I don't get - the various trailers for the game, especially the live action ones, were fantastic and rich with emotional storylines. The makers of the game clearly had a motif of despair and a sense of the world they were building, plus a wealth of source material both in the novel and in the trailers, yet they barely skim the surface in the game itself.

I had a blast with the game, but it's a seriously missed opportunity. I wonder if we can chalk it up a rushed development/the collapse of THQ.
Or maybe a shooter is the wrong place to fully explore this world - I wonder what could be done if they brought the Metro verse to more of an open world RPG, like the Fallout series. That move would give them a lot more scope to focus on the world of the Metro and character relationships.

Mmmm, Metro: New Vegas. :circlefap:

This was my hope for what we now know as Metro: Last Light right after I finished playing 2033. Pretty sure I made a post wishing for more or less what you just said, even. It would be insanely difficult for them to pull off and they don't have the a studio publisher backing them with enough of a budget for them to complete it. It's possible for a future release now that Last Light is getting some well deserved reviews and solid sales. 2033 was more or less just a cult favorite that was, for one reason or another, largely ignored by the public. It's actually pretty feasible given how Last Light ends. I'm not sure what ending is canon but Artyom fathers a son and he goes on to become a Stalker and explore more of the surface. Perhaps he'll track down the Dark Ones or attempt to find what became of Hunter, the man who started his fathers journey. I really hope the minds behind 2033 and Last Light are given even more funding and freedom to do what they want.

A sandbox game, even if it's only loosely done (like the STALKER series) would be absolutely impeccable. I shudder to think how many hours I'd lose to a future sandbox title set in the Metro universe.

Fuzz posted:

I'm not very far into the game, I imagine, but Pavel, why? :qq: I thought we were bros. Now I'm sneaking through the Red base trying to track him down and find out his intel... is it weird that I had no issues slaughtering every Reich soldier I saw (except that one dude with the mutant baby that wanted to run away, I let him slide... Artyom has a heart :unsmith:), but for some reason, because of Pavel's bro-ness I can't bring myself to kill any of the Red Line guys? After walking through their station, buying poo poo form them, watching their show... I feel bad because they're not all bad guys, they're just trying to bring some sense to things.

Moskvin and Korbut are gonna get it, though. :black101:

This is something Metro 2033 does just as well. Upon reaching a station overrun with Reich soldiers you're able to overhear a few conversations where soldiers want to desert but know their families will be punished if they do and others who question the brutal methods they use on a daily basis. They're just really easy to miss if you're not patient enough.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 6, 2013

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

ultimateforce posted:

I found a way to cheese fire bombs after starting the chapter over. Now I am at the last boss and I am out of ammo again and pillars.

:allears:

Edit alright I guess I got it.

Try switching to weapons with different ammunition types if you're running low. Yeah it means you'll have to drop your tricked out AK or shotgun but it can be a real life-saver at certain points in the game.

Also the Ashot is the best shotgun in the game :colbert:

fennesz fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 10, 2013

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I was actually talking about the single barrel shotgun/pistol :ssh: The thing is so satisfying to use I just can't put it down.

e: Oh :downs:

fennesz fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 10, 2013

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

keyframe posted:

This loving boss fight at the swamp is making me want to fly to Ukraine and punch the devs in the face.

It was a bitch to beat in normal mode but now that I am replaying in Ranger difficulty I can't seem to pass this thing. I wasted all my shotgun and assault rifle ammo on the thing and it seems to keep coming. This is not even the final section of the fight but the second time you fight him after crossing over with the boat. Is there a trick to beating this poo poo boss I am not aware of? :smith:

Don't shoot unless you know you're not going to hit it's armor. I think hitting it in it's open mouth does extra damage as well. Use claymores and grenades. Ignore all of the little ones your fellow rangers should take care of those relatively quickly.

I didn't have too much trouble with this thing. Maybe you're not damaging it when you think you should be?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Azran posted:

While we are in this topic - how's the English translation of the books? I would love to learn russian, but there's no one in my city that teaches it, so it's either Spanish or English for me.

I have a copy of Metro 2033 and the translation is by no means perfect but better than I had expected. There aren't a lot of errors but they're there. The universe is incredibly compelling to me and totally overshadows any flaws the translation brings.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Yeah... I can read Russian. That's why I asked.

I've read 2033 and 2034 (the first is really good, the second absolutely pointless).

What was wrong with 2034? I ask because I've been looking (ok, more hoping) for a translated edition for a while now.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

A few questions. Does the Polis DLC level have checkpoints? Whenever I die or reload a checkpoint it reloads that loving awful Reich Heavy mission.

And is there anyway to save your progress on the Polis mission so you can come back and play later? It's getting kind of old having to restart every time.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

No checkpoints. You save by returning to your bunk, which is located where you started the DLC.

I tried that and it won't let me do anything when I go to the bunks. I did a youtube search and realized that there's a door you have to go through to save - not to the bunks.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'm having way too much fun in the shooting gallery, the weapons in this game are just so well-done, in terms of their animations, and just how they "feel". Not just satisfying, like, say, the Valve, but stuff like when you put an autofire mod on the Lolife and it handles like the dumbest piece of poo poo ever.

What is the shooting gallery exactly? Just a big firing range where you have access to every weapon and infinite ammo?

Anyone want to weigh in on the rest of the Chronicle DLC while you're at it?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Khan's, too, was strong, though, it seemed to end abruptly. Not that it was short, just that it was just like, over.

This is my problem with all of the DLC I've played for Last Light thus far. It's really, really good for the duration and then suddenly it's over. I feel like they should have rolled out one or two stories in this amount of time, flushed out the Library a lot and should have wrapped it up there. Not this four DLC packs with three or four missions a piece. It's pretty clear the team took on too much and didn't have enough time.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I revisited this game again after a year or so. Goddamn, I forgot how stellar it is. My only complaint is that you can't carry more than 20 rounds for the Valve, which is a shame because that gun is insanely satisfying to use. Maybe someone figured out a way to remove the cap or force it to use the military-grade ammo.

SpookyLizard posted:

The 4A engine is pretty crazy intensive, especially on higher settings.

I actually feel like this game is really well optimized. I struggle to run games like Farcry 3 at anything above a mediocre framerate and apart from a few moments in the game where it attempts to load the entire level at once (a specific area in Bandits comes to mind) I'm usually sitting at ~50-60 fps despite running it on my 4 year old laptop.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dogen posted:

The RPK works pretty well on them in the rail car sequence in LL, or anywhere you have a good distance to line up head shots, using it like a carbine.

I've noticed headshots seem to be a lot less effective on nosalises than on virtually any other mutant in the game. I suspect the hitbox is either a little bit wonky or they have some serious resistances to headshot damage.

I say this because whenever I use the tikhar, revolver or an assault rifle on watchmen they drop like flies but even when I'm unloading on a stationary nosalis it just sits there and takes it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

Watchmen have very big heads. Nosalsies don't. You pretty much have to hit them in their actual face for the headshot. Nonheadshots do piss all it feels, but like I've said before, revolvers drop nosalises like nothing else with headshots.

I'm not so sure. The middle of the church catacombs section in Last Light has nosalises jumping onto your elevator and hanging out point blank while completely exposed. I wasn't ever able to one shot them with any shotgun, revolver or pneumatic weapon in that section. Maybe I'm just the worst ever but when my crosshair is between their eyes and they don't die... :shrug:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

KaneTW posted:

That's exactly it.

The last few times I did that section I was on Ranger Hardcore. It's odd because I routinely 1 tap watchmen with the tikhar and the AKSU but nosalises are just so much beefier in my experience. I'll make sure to bring a revolver next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

hopterque posted:

The next metro game is supposed to be pretty open worldy I guess, so there's that. I think the idea of actually being able to to go on scavenging missions and decide what you want to do and poo poo is gonna be really cool. Like, hey, poo poo, I need new equipment for this big mission I'm planning, time to take trips to the surface to scavenge poo poo and then go from station to station selling the poo poo I scavenge. That would be loving cool.

Also in general getting to explore more of the world would be nice.

Do you have a source on this?

• Locked thread