Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

TerminalSaint posted:

Does anyone know what directory steam pre-loads Last Light to? My home DSL connection maxes out around 90KB/s, so I preloaded on my netbook while I was at a hotel this weekend so I could copy it over to my desktop.

Now I can't find it because it's not in the usual Steam\steamapps\common.

A quick google search showed it's in Steam/depotcache and I found 8 files totalling around 8gigs there that were last modified on the 10th and 11th so it's probably there. I'm not completely sure how transferring that kind of stuff works, though, so hopefully it doesn't act funny.

Sputty fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Scyantific posted:

How would a Radeon 6950 fare with this game? I haven't tried running 2033 since I don't have it installed, but it was pretty excruciating on my old 6850.

With an i5 and a 6950 I was getting 45-50 FPS on normal and 35 FPS on high in the benchmark thing at 1680x1050. It should be fine at normal no matter what and high will probably be ok.

Sputty fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 14, 2013

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Lord Yod posted:

Ranger Hardcore is really fun but there are a couple of annoying things that get in the way. Having literally no way to check your inventory, no way to see what secondary you're using, and no QTE button prompts sure is a weird design decision.

Yeah, it feels like they should just design the default difficulties to be more Far Cry 2ish in terms of UI elements so that the Ranger poo poo isn't completely awkward.

I like the game so far. I kind of miss the stuff from 2033 where you're slowly getting better guns and when you get the Kalashnikov you feel like a god but the game is good so far and I don't really know where the game is going. Game kind of performs terribly compared to what you'd expect, though, and I had a BSOD. Feels like they should've optimized better

edit: For the Far Cry 2 poo poo having the rummage around in a bag to count ammo would've been fun as hell

Sputty fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 15, 2013

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

I miss Uncle Bourbon.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

This is kind of a weird question but how do you unload military grade ammo? I can't seem to figure it out and in 2033 I think it was hold reload? It's not working now though and I just bought a bunch of normal ammo so I'm a bit confused

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Underwhelmed posted:

Hold down the reload button to switch between the two. I think pressing reload while you have the inventory screen open will load Military Grade ammo, but I could only get it out of the gun by holding reload.

Ah, ok. I had the inventory open to check while I was trying.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Well, second time Metro has crashed after going up that ladder. I'm really sick of redoing that section.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Drivers should be soon, can't see AMD not letting this go. I do remember hearing (I think on Guru3d?) about it not being a driver issue, but a game issue. So we wait for a patch. Its Tomb Raider all over again.

Yeah, it's pretty awful. Finally get it to load past the ladder and then like 20 minutes later I get nightvision goggles. I turn them on and immediate BSOD

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Scyantific posted:

Saw it posted on the last page, but a patch was released that:

-Optimized the game for AMD GPUs
-Fixed the driver crash issues for AMD users
-Added an FOV setting to the user .cfg file

I feel a woot coming on. I'll get to the NVG spot and test it out

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Just beat Metro and it's the world's best E.T. game also I had like 600 military rounds near the end??

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I absolutely love when there's so much blood on my gas mask that I can barely see, before I remember to wipe it off by pressing G. It's little details like that that make me adore this game.

edit: Jesus, more nudity :stonk: I was kind of put off by the first time I saw it, in the brothel when you're going after your buddy who betrayed you. I've never seen nudity that graphic and almost realistic looking in any game outside of Duke Nukem Forever. Jesus, why isn't this rated AO because of that? Why were people getting all up in arms several years back about San Andreas' Hot Coffee mod if you can just throw realistically modeled titties in your game now willy nilly?

Because it was GTA dude. You need to remember that people were trying to get GTA banned for years. That was the focal point of an attempt to censor and stifle an entire industry in the same way that people were trying to ban metal or rap in the 80s.

Also, the Witcher 2 had more realistic full front nudity

Sputty fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 17, 2013

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

keyframe posted:

Where do you find those?

In the swamp at night after you get off the ferry they're in the house that's nearby. Another pair is a bit after that but I can't remember when exactly.

They're not that good really so they're not "must have" like 2033.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Argas posted:

The Metro-verse has supernatural/mystical elements that are unexplained.

Also, one time I walked in front of Khan and he freaked out and slid his way past me so if it was a bug then that was probably a scripting thing.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Unexpected posted:

What guns do you guys use?

I've just finished Bridge and started the Depot chapter on hard difficulty and right now I have the rotating bolt gun, Saiga shotgun and Kalash 2012. Do you have better ideas on what to carry?

Uhhh, can't you only hold two guns?

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Judge Holden posted:

I'm a little over halfway through on Ranger Normal after playing a few chapters on regular and starting over, and I'd say it's worth it. At first I was bothered by not knowing how much ammo you have left, but it's not an issue if you play stealthily and realize that you can open or interact with a lot of things that don't give you a prompt (light bulbs, lockers, etc). Plus I kind of like the idea that, when I'm being swarmed by mutants, things might go pear-shaped at any moment when my shotgun runs dry.

Yeah, it was more fun to play through with Ranger on but it would've made the game a lot better if it had gone full Far Cry 2 and just removed most of the UI elements in all modes and used other stuff to replace them. Still worth it in my opinion.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

Thanks!

The only issue I'm afraid of is not knowing when a QTE will pop up and accidentally firing all my MGR without knowing it.

Ranger normal still has the QTE prompts on.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

That is dumb, yeah. Can you hold more knives in Ranger than normal? I thought it was five in Normal, but I've got ten now. Huh.

Has anyone figured out why on occasion your crap bullets will set people on fire?

I'd doubt that the limit would be higher in Ranger so you might've just never got to 10 before. For the second question it's because you switched to military rounds without realizing.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Fat_Cow posted:

Does LL start differently on the way you chose to end 2033?

Nope, it picks the ending based on what happened in the book which is the bad ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

Um...

(late-game spoilers) What the hell am I supposed to do at the tank part? I can't really seem to do anything. I thought maybe I needed to shoot the supports out or something like in the original game but nothing works.

Shoot the glowy read bits on the wheels and then the turret when it opens

• Locked thread