Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Don't recognize the waterfall but then again I'm rather bad at names. :v:

Faxi í Tungufljóti

caberham posted:

Is the music going to sound like EVE online :iiam:
Almost definitely no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
I'd be surprised if you'd get shivved in Iceland at all.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

inscrutable horse posted:

In Iceland, I'm pretty sure you could leave your poo poo unattended on the street for weeks, and it would still be there when you came back for it.

If you leave it outside your house, chances are it wont go anywhere.

goku chewbacca posted:

Don't parents leave their babies in their carriages unattended outside shops and cafés while they're inside? And don't Icelandic parents believe that cold air is good for their child's health, and so stick them outside when they're napping?

What is the average Icelander's perception of crime? Are there bad neighborhoods? Immigrant enclaves where feelings of exclusion are pervasive? Do they even consider that pedophilia exists?

Yes, carriages are commonly left outside shops and such because bringing it inside is just a hassle. And while i'm not sure about the cold being good for health thing, but yes, small children often take their naps outside.

Average Icelanders perception of crime? I don't know if i'm average, but i definitely notice crime. (I work at a metal shop and we used to put stainless steel outside the shop in a bin for recycling, but we had to stop putting it outside because it was always stolen)

There is a bad neighborhood, or at least, a neighborhood that is commonly referred to as being bad.

Oh, we are very aware of pedophilia, but i think we're not really paranoid about it. (I remember being told not to accept stuff from strangers etc.)

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Skeesix posted:

nevermind, this isn't a travel thread and I should stop using it like one.

Just use it as a travel thread, i'm sure no one actually cares

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Christoff posted:

Do you guys really have some elf expert that you call when building a new road or house that will politely ask the elves if it's ok to build there? Stories you heard growing up? Sightings, etc?

I think I confused the parliament with the white house. Whichever one was near that small park area with the statue right across from all the bars. I think I remember hearing a joke about an Icelandic riot, during the economy collapse, you guys just massed there and yelled at the building and maybe threw a rock or two.

You guys could care less about transexuals, homosexuals, and religious preferences right? I thought that was cool. If you tried to argue any of the above with them they were pretty much "Hey man whatever you believe is cool." What kind of religious foundations are you guys mostly brought up on at home or in school, if any?

Do you believe the sulfur in the water is good for your skin?

I remember asking a local about the history of Iceland and aside from the Danish rule it was pretty much "Yeah the vikings went to Ireland and stole a bunch of women and then went to Iceland. The end.
Our elf 'experts' are simply the old and/or weird people who believe in them. Usually it's just based on stories.

The parliament is the one by the small park, and the your description of the protest is close enough, people brought out pots and pans and banged on them. Commonly called 'Búsáhaldabylting' which translates roughly to Cookware revolution
Our White house is on a small peninsula, and like our parliament, has basically no protection what so ever.

People don't care about homosexuals or religious preferences (although there are people strongly opposed to a mosque, for whatever reason), but i feel that transsexuals aren't really accepted, at least not that i've noticed, but i don't keep up with current affairs in the LGBT community, so i'm not sure.

While i'm not sure about sulfur, whatever mixture of sulfur and silica that is in the blue lagoon sure as poo poo seems to work for people with skin conditions.

Our history goes as such: Vikings moved here, submitted to Norway, were given to Denmark during somethingorother, got independance, the end. Sprinkle some expeditions to Ireland, Greenland and Canada in there, add a few volcanic eruptions and you're basically there.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

So you guys mean to say that Icelandic folk are really just the descendants of Scots or Irelanders? How could us drunkards settle down in an entirely new unsettled place and eventually become some of the most peaceful people on earth? :itisamystery:

Scots, Irish, Norwegians and Danes

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Christoff posted:

So do you guys get a lot of poo poo for all the whaling? Active protest in the country or towards the whalers? Thought it was funny that whale meat was pretty much the cheapest meat available. And again, whale burgers were delicious fried up on the bbq.

I think I remember a local telling me the type of whale they hunt are seen as "pests" in a way so it's not really a big deal.

Most people i know have nothing against whaling, they don't necessarily eat it, but don't mind those who do. I have not tried it, but i want to, and will, at some point.

They aren't really a pest, but people like to say that they eat 'our fish' so therefore whaling is good.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Prince John posted:

Very well so far thanks! Out of interest, I haven't yet seen a bathroom sink with a plughole in it, either in the hotel or in restaurants. Do you guys just shave using running water rather than filling a bowl?

Most sinks have this little thing at the back of the tap that you pull to close the sink.
I usually just let the water run when shaving.

Christoff posted:

I meant do people actively protest in the country and are they attacking whaling ships etc?

Does everyone eat whale meat there or is it viewed as a food for poors or what? I remember seeing whale burgers at restaurants for tourists but that was it mostly. Lots of whale patties in stores though

I can't remember the last time i heard of an active anti-whaling protest here.

Not a whole lot of people eat whale, or at least not to my knowledge. But it seems to be very easy to find whale meat, smoked or otherwise. While i'm not sure, i have heard that cooking whale meat can be a bit problematic, because if you do it wrong you can get a bit of cod liver oil taste.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

breathstealer posted:

Icelandic dried fish is delicious and I just has a friend bring back lots. Is there any particular way to eat it other than just cramming it into my mouth? Seems like it might make a good soup or something...

Add a bit of butter.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Punc posted:

So, just got back from Iceland. It was wonderful and the weather wasn't that bad. What's the deal with Akureyri and stupid kids with loud cars that just drive around for no goddamn reason?
Also, Mývatn has way to many flies. I hated every single minute I was there because of the loving things.

Whales are tasty and I want to have them here in my home country :(.

You were probably in Akureyri during Bíladagar (car days). It's supposed to be an annual festival or car enthusiasts, but in reality it's a bunch of idiots driving around town like idiots.
Mývatn is named for it's flies, 'Mý' meaning Gnat, and Vatn meaning water, so flies are to be expected.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Christoff posted:

You guys laugh pretty hard at the Mighty Ducks movie, eh? Is ice hockey even popular at all over there? Just so funny they focused a whole movie around it when you guys don't even play the drat sport

There are 3 active hockey teams, compare that to (at least) 36 active (association) football teams, and no one really follows it, not that i know of anyway.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

Do you believe in elves?

edit

Serious question. Not a joke.

No.

I guess some people do, but i dont think it's at all common.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Ekkert Bruðl doesn't really lend itself too much, 'cept mebbe no loving around.

I thought it was "Býður Betur" nowadays

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Kujaroth posted:

What's the deal with work permits for operating your own business? From what I've been able to find on Google, they exist, but not a lot more info beyond that (eligibility criteria, capital/investment requirements if any etc.) Not that I expect you to really know all the answers to that, but in general are these also pretty tough to get?
I can't find it in english on the site but https://www.rsk.is/fyrirtaekjaskra/stofnun-felaga/einkahlutafelog/ is about the registration of a 'Limited Company' or 'Einkahlutafélag'(Ehf.).

In order to create an Ehf. you need 500.000kr, in either assets or money (which will go into the company), although from what i hear, going with money is way easier. And then you need to pay an additional 130.500kr as a registration fee. ( There are probably more fees).

I don't know if you need a kennitala (basically a SSN) in order to register an Ehf., but it wouldn't surprise me.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
RE: churches, god,etc
About 75% of the country belongs to the National Church of Iceland, but i doubt a lot of people go to church on a regular basis. Churches are everywhere because people couldn't really travel anywhere in the old days, so you simply had to have a church nearby.

MisterOblivious posted:

That's called "Minnesota Nice" here in Minnesota. Same deal: we made all of our friends and connections early on and there aren't really any slots open for new folks. I generally tell folks moving here from out of state to find other folks who moved here from out of state as that's their only real chance at more than superficial friendliness.
I don't know about other people in Iceland but i really like meeting foreigners, and personally i don't give a drat if people want to move here.

Doctor Malaver posted:

I'm staying in Iceland for a week, with friends who live in Reykjavik. On Saturday we are renting a car and doing the Golden Circle and sleeping in a cabin in Stafafel. I'm worried it will be a stretch, seeing the Geysir and the Myrdals glacier and all the interesting stuff in so little daylight, plus getting to the cabin in time to eat and rest.
Other plans include doing the Reykjavik by Food tour, the Free Walking Tour (if it's available, there's conflicting information) and we already visited the Blue Lagoon.

Any comments or suggestions for museums or one-day trips? I like activities that are interactive (not just being driven around to see stuff) but not too expensive or physical (I can't rock climb and I'm not sure I could ride a horse).

ps
Why is the international airport so far away from Reykjavik? With barren plains everywhere, they could've built it much closer.

The daylight ~should~ be enough, but you might have to set off nice and early in order to be able to seen everything.
You could take an ATV tour, but i'm not sure how expensive they are. There is also a 4x4 rental that where you can drive a modified Land Rover Defender with a guide on some mountain roads, but i'm almost certain it's expensive.
You could also check out the penis museum.

The airport isn't really far away from Reykjavík, only about 50km, besides, the Airport is where the US built it, blame them.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
To be honest i'm bad at recommending tourist stuff, since i basically never do any of the touristy stuff, especially museums. Reading the thread will probably give you better idea than i ever could.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

+ Despite the country's focus on tourism, we ran into problems with machines speaking only Icelandic language. Once I called a tourist agency and once a car rental, on numbers that were specifically given to us to call in case of any problems, only to be confronted with voice mail/answering machine in Icelandic. Also, gas stations don't have attendants, they are automatic - and the language on display is Icelandic. I don't know how similar they are to US gas pumps, but I come from a country where you pay at the register to a living person. Good luck filling that tank, me!

+ We went hiking on the Esja mountain which was great and also free. I don't think you can reach the top unless you are an experienced climber with professional equipment, but even coming close to the mountaintop, shrouded in mist, with streams trickling down vertical slopes... was like approaching the mines of Moria.

I'd like to read that if it's in English.

1. Some, but not all automatic gas stations have a language selection, and i think it's strange that tourist agencies/car rentals wouldn't think of having their phone system in english, or at least an option for english. I'm guessing no one working there thought of it. v0v

2. Esja is a very easy mountain to climb, and you really don't need any experience or professional equipment, just some nice shoes and warm clothing. I can walk up there and i'm in terrible shape.

But generally i agree with most of your post, don't plan too much, just go out there is do whatever you feel like, it's what i generally do when i travel abroad.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

nm posted:

Yeah, icelandic gas pumps were an issue. Also, they wouldn't take my chip and pin credit card, but would take my dumb mag stripe only debit card.:iiam:

If it only had chip and pin i get that it wouldn't read it, but they should all take mag stripe cards. It was only recently that we started doing the chip and pin thing and automated gas station already had mag stipe readers and needed pin so i guess they just figured "we don't need to do poo poo".

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
1. Smyril Line (http://www.smyrilline.com/) has as ferry that sails from somewhere in Denmark and stops in the Faroe Islands along the way (to the best of my knowledge anyway, never been myself)

2. I assume they sleep in some sort of social housing, but i'm not sure.

3. In the southern part of the country the winters aren't that bad really. Generally only mildly cold and not to snowy. But this varies year from year.

4. A quick google search showed that frozen cherries are 1140kr about $8.6 (Local store is closed, cant just go and check)

5. I don't smoke but a rehab center does a price check every once in a while and according to them it's about $25

6. I don't live in Reykjavík, so i don't know.

7. Most roads are kept open, but sometimes roads do close because of snow/avalanches/mudslides. The Road Administration has a very informative website where you can check the status of most roads (Closed, clear, a bit icy, very icy, snowy etc)

8. During the summer quite a few ships stop fishing because the owners have run out of quota and figure it's a good time to do some maintenance that would be too time consuming to be done 'in season'. But in the past few years the trawlers have been modified to fish mackerel since it's in Icelandic territorial waters, but since a shitload of people want to be on those trawlers (because of the high pay) you may need to know someone to get a spot on one of those.

9. Very high. I've worked with foreigners who have lived in Iceland for >10 yrs and barely speak a word of icelandic.

dor1 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 12, 2015

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
i am retarded and i double post.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

Really? From which countries? In your experience, are there certain categories of foreigners that are more willing to learn the local language than others?

Mostly from Poland, but that's because they are (by far) the biggest immigrant group.

What happens is that there is a group of Poles/Lithuanians/whatever and one of them speaks Icelandic, so that person is taken along to translate, but some of them do know a bit of English, but that is massively dependent on age.

I worked with a Brit who has lived here for not terribly long and he spoke alright Icelandic, and when in doubt he just asked me to speak slower.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Cool. I'm working long shifts for the forseeable future but I'll probably be settled in late August.

My fears were unfounded because everyone at work has been super good about including me in social gatherings. I'm staying in a guest room with one of them until I get my apartment on the 1st of August. I'd still like to branch out and get some contacts outside of work but until poo poo cools down in Grindavik (there's a mad rush for renovations from all the fishing industries right now) I won't have the time. Iceland is pretty cool so far.

I can only speak to the activity within Þorbjörn, but right now the activity is average for mid-late july, ie people just now realizing that stuff is supposed to be ready by August.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

That's life. My org didn't think that their goddamn summer brochures ready for summer was any big deal, were subsequently baffled sales were worse this year than last.

haha

ha

Þetta reddast.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Grindavik is kind of a shithole. Nothing to do but hit the gym and go swimming and I don't have Internet yet. We're going bowling with the company on Friday though so here's hoping the bar scene is ok.

Shithole is a bit strong, it's a small town and suffers slightly from being close to much bigger towns.

Not having internet yet though is lovely, it should really only take a week for them to connect it.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

No there's a swimming pool with a gym attached a little bit behind netto inside grindavik. Everyone has told me the blue lagoon is overpriced trash so I haven't gone yet.

Sure, it's overpriced, but it's still very nice to go there every once in a while, and since you live close to it you can get a season pass and go as often as you like and pay relatively little.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

inscrutable horse posted:

Yeah, I don't think anyone actually refers to you guys as Icelanders here anymore, it's just "jáarar" :) You guys do have this strange obsession with starting almost every sentence with "Já já, ..."

It's either "já já..." or "jæja...."

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Tias posted:

Having read the entire OP I can see that you learned Danish in school. When did that stop, and are you still fluent?

While i cant speak for OP, but i started learning danish in 7th grade and stopped when i was 18ish.

I can read some danish/norwegian/swedish (because they are all the same), but i cant speak any of them beyond asking for beer.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Hopefully living in Keflavik instead of Grindavik (I like Grindavik but it's really tiny)

Grindavík is orders of magnitude better than Keflavík.

Not biased at all

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
"There really should be a KFC in Akureyri"

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
I just keep being amazed how many people vote D, and i really really hope it wont be a B+C+D gov't.

I could deal with a C+D+V gov't.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

BCD looks to be fairly likely. The only thing stopping it would be the principles of a loving "centre"-right party, which is so tragicomic that relying on that would by like flapping your arms to slow down a fall from top of a skyscraper

IIRC whatshisface who runs Viðreisn has said that won't happen.

And I saw today that VG won't work with D.

And we have what, 2 weeks until the budget plan is due? Helvítis sjallar maður

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

How's things if you qualify as highly skilled? I'm thinking specifically computer programming. :science:

IIRC you need to get a job before you move

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
IIRC Schengen should cover it, you shouldn't need a passport when traveling within the Schengen area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Jeoh posted:

A drivers license is not a travel document.

No it's not, but you shouldn't need travel documents when traveling within Schengen.

• Locked thread