Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Rashomon posted:

possibly do a day trip down to Vik. Any recommendations for must see stuff along those routes that the guidebooks might not mention or emphasize?

I was in Iceland last September and we drove from Reykjavik to Hofn. I would highly recommend driving to Vik and along the way catch the bus into Thorsmork. You can catch the bus at the waterfall Seljalandsfoss, which is right off the Ring Road. I guess you can also take the bus all the way from Reykjavik, but I assume you'll have a rental car. The schedule when we went was the bus left Seljalandsfoss at 10am to go into Thorsmork and returned at 4pm (the schedule may change). You can stay overnight if you want, lots of people do multi-day hikes and camp or I think there are a few huts you can rent. We just stayed for a few hours and hiked to the highest point for the view. It was amazing and one of my favorite parts of our trip.

This is a glacier you see on the way in

Thorsmork Glacier by Kiri koli, on Flickr

You can't drive there yourself because you need to ford a few rivers.

Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss are two huge waterfalls on the way to Vik which are right off the road. The beaches at Vik are pretty cool too, though the town itself is pretty small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

That's a lot of driving. We did Reykjavik to Hofn and back in about 10 days. Some of my favorite parts:

--Taking the bus into Thorsmork. A bus stops at Seljalandsfoss and then goes into Thorsmork in the morning (google around for the current schedule) and then returns in the afternoon. You can stay overnight and camp/hike further in or just hike around and come back the same day. We hiked up to an awesome lookout spot in a couple hours. Here's the view (it's much prettier than this, I was messing around with a polarizer):

Thorsmork by Kiri koli, on Flickr

--Walk on the glacier at Skaftafell. Guided tours run a couple times a day.

--Fjadrargljufur Canyon. It's really easy to miss, especially if it's raining. There's a little turn off between Vik and Skaftafell, if I remember correctly and then you drive onto the start of an F-road to get to the canyon. I don't know if it was the rain or what, but the water was silver when we were there. I didn't get a great picture because the weather was terrible, but I swear it was actually a silver color (not a picture of the canyon, that part is much bigger):

At Fjardrargljufur by Kiri koli, on Flickr

--at Jokulsarlon, make sure you go across the street to the ocean side and watch the waves crash over the icebergs.

Jokulsarlon at Sunset by Kiri koli, on Flickr

As for a camper, I have no idea, but I don't remember seeing any on the side of the road. :/ I also can't imagine what you would spend on gas.

Kiri koli fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 22, 2014

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

Noctis Horrendae posted:

E: Also, are most of the waterfalls relatively easily accessible by car? From the images I've seen, that doesn't seem very likely.

Oxararfoss was one of my favorite waterfalls and it is just a short walk from a parking lot in Thingvellir. Are you staying near Reykjavik? Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss are also right off the Ring Road, but quite a drive from Reykjavik.

Oxararfoss at Thingvellir by Kiri koli, on Flickr

• Locked thread