Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

shortspecialbus posted:

Then I did some more stick control and tried using my right foot where it said to use the left hand and it kind of helped but I probably need to do it a trillion more times.

Re: DRUM SET AND PERCUSSION MEGATHREAD: I probably need to do it a trillion more times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Takes No Damage posted:

You might also look around for a place in your town that rents rooms for band rehearsal space, though that would be another couple hundred dollars in rent every month.

Yeah. I know it’s probably not what they want to hear, but my instinct would be to find somewhere else to move my set and practice. A friend’s house, storage space, etc. For me it’d be too hard to focus on letting loose if I knew someone was potentially just sitting there in another room fuming @ me

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vino posted:

But those are the songs he wrote so I need to figure out how to make the kit do that. So the question is, what are my options?

a) Tune all the toms lower and give it a more ... i guess ... metal feel? (I think metal drummers tune their toms real low right?) Now my rolls will be more cavernous.
b) When I put my finger on the center of the floor tom and hit it the bonginess goes away and it matches the floor tom better. Is there some kind of partial mute I can buy that does this?
c) Can I tune the toms differently so that they're not low and metal but the bonginess doesn't go away?
d) ... other ......?

d. I would talk to the guitarist and see how essential it is that the notes are exactly the same in the song as what he wrote for his midi. I’m sure there’s probably something that feels natural to you that gets the same sort of beat/sound/feeling across. If you talk to them and find out that the entire song hinges on those alternating tom and bass drum notes, well… It’s probably not a very good song, lol.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I Might Be Adam posted:

Years ago I bought a new ride stand that was really great but it had a weird tension on the cymbal itself I wasn’t used to. I had been over tightening it and making the ride more rigid that I was used to and for like 2 months, I had finger pain. Once I solved that, never experienced it again. Drum angles and feels make all the difference.

Takes No Damage posted:

I always worry about looking like a huge drama queen whenever I adjust a drum or cymbal like .5 inches but dammit it makes a big difference <:mad:>

Absolutely true. It just makes good sense to make a tiny lil change to something external compared to how difficult it is to change something internal (your technique, your habits, muscle memory, etc). You adjust those clamps and elbows!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

number one pta fan posted:

I just committed to join a samba band. I've not played drums in 15 years and even drum kit wasn't my main instrument, I only did so for a year and I was never good at reading music. I have a practice pad, a metronome and some sticks on their way.

lmao how did you get yourself into this jam?

So it sounds like you’ll be playing drum set as opposed to engine room or timbales or whatever then? I would strongly suggest focusing on limb independence; Latin music is infamously tough to feel out at first as opposed to your more standard rock beats. Get very used to playing “1..a2..a3..a4” on the bass combined with various clave patterns in your hands.

Also, listen to a ton of samba music if you’re not already!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

20 Blunts posted:

what the hell is this open-handed technique here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIgMN7Kd7u8&t=128s

ive read he was a self taught drummer i just can't understand what im looking at, with him opening it up every beat or so. is his snare just really high tuned and sounding like the hihat? i almost think its footage from another song

That is weird lookin! My thoughts:

- the audio is definitely off sync a little bit; you can tell from a bit later on in the video that shows the singer singing
- doesn’t look like he’s playing the hi hat at all. It’s all snare
- Looks/sounds like eighth notes on the snare with beats 2 & 4 played as big fat flams which separates the backbeat from the other eighth notes.

|: r l LR l r l LR l :|

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that’s definitely a cross stick, with the butt of the stick on the head and the hand laid across the top of the stick and the shoulder of the stick pressed down onto the rim of the drum.

If you’re looking to make a sample like that, maybe try loving around with a woodblock as the base; add some light distortion for the buzzing snares sound and then throw on a ton of reverb (that’s another aspect of the sample that makes it sound the way it does; loots of wet reverb)

That reggae style often has a very faint 16th note delay echo after it too; helps to provide more fatness I guess

Bonzo posted:

For the rim shots, see above, but you can also play around with stick placement and where on the rim you hit.

So true about the length of the rimshot, which you achieve by deciding how far back to pull your wrist. My teachers always called those really short high-pitched ones “ping” shots. Heh

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m not sure if this is the right thread to ask about this, but I’m hoping to start doing some music arranging and/or transcribing in the very near future, and to do that I need to learn how to write percussion music. The problem is that I don’t know jack poo poo about percussion; I’ve only ever played and written music for Bb trumpet. I can’t remenber the last time I’ve even SEEN a piece of percussion music.

I mostly need to learn how to write parts for marching percussion (snares, multi-tenors, bass drums, cymbals, pretty much everything except maybe pit instruments) and a basic drum set. I wouldn’t mind learning how to write for other perc instruments beyond those later on, but those are the things I absolutely need to learn about FIRST.

Jazz Marimba suggested a few resources in the Home Recording megathread, but she also mentioned that they might not be so great for a newbie like myself for various reasons.

Do any of y’all happen to know of some good “how to write not-lovely percussion music” resources for a complete beginner?

This is my area of expertise! There's a whole lot things to know and keep in mind. Unfortunately I don't know of any resources off the top of my head because all my experience comes from the real world and direct mentorship or whatever, but a quick Google of "writing for marching percussion" seems to turn up some decent articles and leads. At the very least, they don't look totally wrong or anything.

Here are a few thoughts off the dome.

- For marching percussion music, you generally want to make sure all note stems are facing up. Don't ask me why, it's just a thing they like

- Beaming is essential. It can make the difference between a lick that makes sense to a drummer vs. some whack poo poo you did to hack your Finale file into making the rhythm you wanted to hear. Generally you want to beam every note, but sometimes you might find a good excuse to beam something longer, even across a barline, if it more accurately demonstrates the phrase.

- Dynamics are also essential, but in the drumline world you'll more often hear them called heights instead. This refers to the height of the stick. Usually the instructor will make this clarification to the line (not sure if you're signed up for that as well?) but it's usually something like piano = 3 inches, forte = 9 inches, etc. Making sure that your entire snareline, tenor line, and bass line know their heights for every single phrase is mandatory. You can either write the heights in yourself or use traditional dynamics and let the tech work it out, but either way, DON'T neglect defining that. This means lots of crescendos and decrescendos too.

- You need to have an acute awareness of the skill level of the line you're writing for going in. Don't give them stuff that's too hard or they'll be dirty all season. Don't give them stuff that's too easy or they'll be bored (and possibly rush a lot of the more spacious passages).

Gosh there's so much more but that's probably enough for now. Feel free to post in here or DM me if you have more specific questions or want somebody to look it over before you turn it in to make sure it looks and sounds okay!

(Oh, and for drum set stuff? I do that too but tbh I'm not sure if I do it the "right" way so I'll let someone else in here speak to drum set notation. There's much better drum set players here than me)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AndrewP posted:

I've always liked Dave's playing in Nirvana and thought him beating the gently caress out of those drums on Nirvana records were a feature, not a bug. They sound great.

Same with Jimmy Chamberlain who also hit hard.

Honestly imo you HAVE to hit the drums hard if you want to stand a chance of being a good drummer down the road. I've seen dozens of young aggressive drummers who were able to keep the intensity but learn to control it over time. But it's much more difficult for a timid player to adapt the ability to sit up straight and hit the goddamn drum like they mean it.

So yeah, I'll take a heavy hitter over a gentle drummer anytime, especially if they're still a beginner

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AndrewP posted:

100% agree with all of this. I hate wimpy drumming.

Hell yeah. B)

It’s all about VELOCITY

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Takes No Damage posted:

I always heard not to try and play harder for more volume, that's what the speakers are for. I struggle with dynamics anyway, unless I really slow down and focus on it everything evens out to a moderate velocity. Are there any good exercises for just working up a basic > . > . > . > . accent pattern on the hihat or ride, or do I just need to sack up and practice even that basic a pattern to get used to it?

Here's the thing to keep in mind about accent/tap quality and making sure there's a clear difference between the two. It's not about trying to play the accent higher and the tap lower—that's just the result. What you ACTUALLY want to think way more about is the REBOUND of each note. If you play an accent and the very next note is a tap, that means you need to squeeeeze the stick immediately after you play to force the bead to remain directly over the drumhead or cymbal. In otherwords, control the rebound to ensure that the height for the next note is low.

...And then the opposite applies when you play a tap followed by an accept. Play your tap low, nice and close to the drum or cymbal, and use your wrist immediately after you play to accelerate the motion of the natural rebound. This will get you ready to play the next note accented, at an appropriate height.

So while what you're playing (and hopefully what people are hearing) is ACCENT tap ACCENT tap ACCENT tap, what you should actually thinking about, inbetween those notes, is SQUEEZE, lift, SQUEEZE, lift, SQUEEZE, lift

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

When you hit a bass drum pedal the force of your foot sends the beater sideways into the bass drum head. Without something to help reduce friction you’ll find your entire bass drum rig scooting forward on you. It’s nearly impossible to fix while playing and also, why should you have to?

Regarding drum placement, you want to conserve range of motion. Don’t place the toms where you think they should be, put them where you want them to be so that they’re easy to play. Tilt plays a big factor in that as folks have already mentioned. If you have to raise your arm just to play a tom, that kind of adds an unnecessary motion to the equation. By tilting the head towards you a bit, you won’t have to do as much of an arm lift, meaning it’ll be easier to move from drum to drum quickly if needed.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Greggster posted:

Rug is absolutely a good thing to have not only for the comfort but also for sound dampening. I usually tie some small role or w/e around my drum seat and tie it to both "pegs" of the bass drum too, that way my butt can anchor the whole kit without having to worry about the bass drum scooting away as you play it. :)

That's true, I wasn't even thinking about the dampening qualities. And I'm sure that's even more important to consider when you're on a stage!

Let's just say that, after your first time trying to raise the pitch of your timpani mid-song with a foot pedal and having them sail 3 feet across the room instead, you get reeeal conscious about securing your equipment before you start playing :sweatdrop:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bigfoot again posted:

Help me out, people?

Been learning drums for about a year and loving it. But it’s become clear my right foot it pretty bad because I don’t have much ankle mobility. My left foot is way better - I can do doubles about 20bpm faster on my left.

I’ve been experimenting with playing open handed - kick drum on left foot, hi hat on the right, and then floor Tom on the left so things flow more - basically playing right handed on a lefty kit, but the ride is also to my right behind the hi hat if that makes sense.

My kick foot is way faster this way and open handed is kinda fun. But my general coordination is a bit worse, and I have to figure out my own sticking for basically every fill. So it feels like I’m fighting against the whole history of drumming.

Any advice? Should I got back to standard setup and just do a bunch of right foot exercises? Are there other setups I can try?

I don't play drum set very well so I won't comment on the technical challenges of a lefty set. But I can at least warn you that, if you decide to use a non-traditional setup, other drummers will likely feel some kind of way about you, and you might even hear a scoff or two if you listen closely. You'll have a hard time just walking up to an open set, sitting down, and busting out some beats because you're used to your own custom layout.

This is not meant to discourage you from going lefty if that's what you really want to do! Just know that, if you always need to go "hang on, hang on! Lemme just put this tom here, readjust the the hi-hat pedal to be over here, and hey is it okay if I change your cymbal arm angle real quick?" then you better be really damned good to justify the inconvenience.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bigfoot again posted:

Thanks. Honestly having to shift kits around does bother me a bit because I’d like to play in community bands if they ever exist again. The ankle thing is a short tendon so it’s not going to change all that much but I could probably develop some kind of technique to compensate. It’s just a bit of a ballache, but I’ll trying to work out if that’s a bigger ballache than needing a special setup and having to learn to do fills and tom grooves on the left.

Sorry, I know people can’t really figure this out for me but it’s really helpful to hear from better drummers

It's definitely a tough decision, and one that I think a lot of drummers (or, ehem percussionists :wotwot: ) can relate to.

Do you just keep practicing more and power through the often lovely work of developing weird muscle groups and muscle memories,
Or do you adjust your equipment around you to make it more comfortable for you, thereby allowing you to play better?

Work smarter or work harder?

I'd say if you want to ultimately be a real solid all-arounder drum set player who plays in public or plays in a band, I'd probably recommend adapting to a standard drum kit. The practice will only make you better for it. But if you're just playing for fun at home then you should literally just do whatever makes you the happiest like AndrewP said.

Real talk though I think having to reprogram my brain to play the toms reversed would be a dealbreaker for me, personally. But I like the idea of playing bass drum with the left foot because I already do that sometimes while I drive :)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Double posting to say that whenever I hear someone plays open handed I immediately assume they're a giant DMB fan and judge them accordingly :colbert:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

landgrabber posted:

forgive the basic rear end question but how do i know when to use high/mid/low/floor toms in a beat? i'm feeling really limited just by doing kick snare patterns

I'd recommend listening to more genres of music, especially latin stuff. For example, in something like a bossa or a rumba, it's not uncommon to hear two eighth note high or mid toms on "4 +" which is meant to mimic conga drums.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

Instead of flat toms you could just go the opposite way with it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwNM-PSBeCY

what the gently caress

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jazz Marimba posted:

what’re y’all’s fave cymbal bags?

Short answer: Zlidjian makes good ones, but anything with a reinforced bottom and lots of pockets is aces in my book

Longer answer: I've only ever used Zildjian bags, but that's just because I've only worked with schools and organizations that were partnered with them, or at least used them exclusively. From what I remember they came in various sizes, but the larger ones had additional pocket space on the front for splashes and other smaller cymbals, which I always appreciated. Of course every bag is going to have its limits, but any bag should comfortably hold 5 before you need to start worrying about the integrity of the bottom or the handles.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Great post all around, fully agree with all the stuff about getting kids started as percussionists. Welcome to the thread!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, percussionist/general musician here; I don't have a drumkit but I do have a Korg Padkontrol, my favourite piece of gear ever. Is this thread cool to discuss drumming involving it? I obviously realize the differences but I'm going to be practicing more and more with it in the next coming whatever, because I used to be really great with it, and haven't really been practicing or putting in any time with it over the past 2-3 years.

If this isn't the thread for it, is there a better one that someone can send me to? Thanks!

This is the place! Welcome to the percussion thread. I see you post in a lot of TV threads I post in :unsmith::respek::unsmith:

There's not really enough talk here about all percussion to warrant extra threads for things as specific as samplers, but I assume any of the electronic music threads would work for certain elements of that. Plus there's actually quite a bit of electronic kit discussion here (not exactly the same as what you're talking about, but if you want to discuss patches and whatnot there's probably a lot of overlap)

Was there something in particular you wanted to discuss? Like are you trying to improve your vocabulary, get more into sequencing, build your chops...?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

We were always told "Write in C, try to resolve in the major'. The key only mattered because that's apparently what everything else was written in, like other companies' machines, so you didn't want to sound completely dissonant (aside from hearing some minor scale work alongside major scale).

The compression was awful. It was something like maybe 2 db of headroom for non bonus loops, and 0.1 db of headroom for bonus loops. All of my dynamics theory and training went right out the window (or rather, my training was used to understand just how little dynamic volume was available). We used Waves L1 limiter to just slam everything to the wall.

n'thing the casino game composer questions, that sounds like a super cool gig!

What kind of instrumentation did you have at your disposal? Was it like a standard MIDI array?
Did your workflow involve writing for one game and then moving onto the next? If so, how much music would you write for one game, and how long would that take?
Any machines I should listen out for in particular next time I go to Vegas? :D

Fake edit: were you also responsible for sound effects? If so, how did that work? And if not, did you work alongside the person who did? I have to imagine sound effects are where the real psychology happens

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I have to stop myself from doing it when I sit down to get a haircut because I know it makes my temples pulsate :)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
In college I was taking my one half-hour of required drum set lessons with this old school hippie-type guy who was the university's former professor-turned-emeritus jazz guy, and ahead of time I decided I would use traditional grip (y'know, cause it's cool?)

During like the second or third lesson he said "So, uh, I noticed you're using this traditional grip, and it's...kind of lame."

I turned my left hand over on that day, and it has remained in that position to this very day. The inside of my left wrist hasn't seen the sky in 15 years

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If you ever meet a marching snare drummer, ask them to show you the disgusting wart-bump on the inside of their left ring finger cuticle

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TotalLossBrain posted:

Hi Thread. I recently started learning to play drums. I've been playing guitar and related string instruments (bass, ukulele, banjo) off an on for 27 years. I am terrible at that, too.
I bought a Simmons SD1250 kit a few weeks ago and have been practicing 30-90 minutes a day. I'm using the Stick Control book and another similar book for rock drumming. I also signed up for a month-to-month subscription to Drumeo and that's been very helpful as well.
Most of my practice has been focused on snare drum drills, timing and playing to metronome, and limb independence.
Anyways, I'm loving it.

Edit: I've added a small carpet for the whole area since taking these pictures.

Godspeed! Sounds like you're doing all the right things for a beginner. You get extra credit for Stick Control, that's that goood poo poo.

The only thing I don't see in your regimen is any real-time feedback from an instructor (Drumeo is just videos, right? Not a 2-way street?) Not to say you absolutely must have that to learn because clearly you don't, but it can be helpful to have a pro watch you play and give feedback to make sure you're not developing any harmful techniques that could prevent you from going further in the future. Or worse, injure you! Examples would be things like locking your wrists when you play, clenching up your shoulders at faster speeds, letting your fingers come off the sticks...that sort of thing.

Do you have any goals with your playing? Working your way up to being able to play a particular song, getting good enough to play in front of people? Third thing?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

What are good online vendors these days? does lone star percussion still exist?

For the past day I've been wracking my brain to try to remember the company with King Kong playing a gong as a logo. I want to say they're based out of New York?

When I was regularly buying accessories and mallets and whatnot 15 years ago they were the best but fuuuuck I can't remember the company's name anymore!

E: HALLELUJAH I finally remembered. https://www.steveweissmusic.com/. Seems like they're still going strong!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Slothful Bong posted:

Just discovered something weird and cool about my playing.

Was recording a song in 3/4 @ 115bpm, and I do a little fill for the last two bars of each riff that’s a snare/cymbal hit each beat, and a fast double kick.

I was certain I was doing 6 kicks per beat, but looking at the midi surprised the poo poo out of me. Every single beat was a septuplet, spaced evenly. That means I was alternating feet on the ones and somehow not loving it up!

Then I went down a rabbit hole of septuplet patterns in drums, and seems like they’re not used too often. Gonna learn some as I love the push of it at slower speeds.

I can indeed confirm that septuplets are not at all common in most music. But I personally love 5-lets and 7-lets so I say let ‘em fly!

It takes a lot of musicians a lot of practice to get a consistent 5-let or septuplet so if it comes naturally to you I’d suggest leaning into it. Maybe even write a song using it prominently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Left footed bass drum technique is critical for drumming while driving