Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

sebzilla posted:

Guitarists *ARE* dorks, no need for them imo

you cant alienate guitar players!!!! you will regret this!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I remember Devin Townsend was talking about playing bass: he said it was great and a nice change from lead. He also said something like you put 2 guitarists in a room with a band and they'll wank all over each other; meanwhile the bassist goes "Fill your boots all you want, guys, but until I say otherwise, we're in C..."

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Guitar Isn’t A Real Instrument and Guitarists Aren’t Musicians

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

sebzilla posted:

Hey there drum chums.

My band put out our first recorded material in over three years today. Would be interested to hear any thoughts you might have.

https://gagreflex.bandcamp.com/album/what-we-owe-to-each-other

Bass / drums two piece, sort of punkish but broader than that.

Guitarists *ARE* dorks, no need for them imo

I haven't listened yet but looking at the tracks I don't see any obvious NoMeansNo covers, and NGL I'm a little concerned :ohdear:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Joe Pacaro died. :-(

GVBX
Jan 17, 2014
hey, long-time lurker here!

I remember reading about a drum-tuning device that was linked in this thread at the beginning of the year, and I can’t seem to remember the name of it...I believe it would tell you how much to turn the lug nut/tension rod on both the top and bottom, but didn’t require an iPhone or anything (although I do have one.)

so my question is, does anyone remember the name of this device?

also, does anyone have a better recommendation on something to help with drum tuning?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a DrumDial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL3tz-6k-R0&t=691s

You could use something like this to quickly get all of the lugs pretty close to even, but nothing is going to replace learning to do the, heh, fine TUNING :cool:, with your ears.

This is the method I use personally to quick-n-dirty tune my drums, again just to get things fairly even and in the ballpark of what I want, but I usually go for a deeper pitch with all my shells and this technique theoretically gives you the lowest tuning that still rebounds and resonates properly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLEjrq_TFRg&t=130s

Bass drum is the same, but you don't need to tighten the res head much past the no-wrinkle point at all, and for a snare you just crank the res head up quite a bit more but do the same wrinkle test on the batter head. Again you'll still want to go around tapping things with a drumstick to make sure they sound the same, but this will get you close at least.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAVybZDjP8s
I was listening to this Nirvana demo/b-side the other day, realizing how Dave Grohl's drumming is so, let's say boneheaded. Kurt from the stories I heard kept yelling at him, making him listen to Mudhoney albums. In the video I linked, he's so heavy handed, no restraint. The band almost kicked him out of the Unplugged show in a fit of frustration because Dave just wouldn't *stop*. So I heard Krist ran out to the pawn shop and bought a tiny drum set and said HERE DAVE, so he was forced to play in a quiter more restrained manner.
To be fair to Dave, anyone is better than that first Nirvana drummer, the one with the really weird North drumset. Listening to live sets from that 1989 time he sucked!
Now Dale Crover, that's a REAL drummer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN7aNzBnjHM

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The whole reason Dave got the gig in the first place was that he was the hardest hitter Curt and Krist could find. I remember some old interview about it one of them said something like 'he beat the drums like they owed him money'. But I'd always heard it was the introduction of brushes that saved him for the Unplugged show, not the kit itself.

Loudwire posted:

"What I didn't know was up until the day [of the 'Unplugged performance], there was talk of Dave [Grohl] not playing at all in the show," Alex Coletti, who produced 'Unplugged,' remembers. "Kurt wasn't happy with the way rehearsals were going; he didn't like the way Dave sounded playing drums with sticks … He's a heavy hitter, and the thing about 'Unplugged,' especially with rock bands, is if the drummer doesn't really, really get it under control and tries to play a rock show on a smaller kit, then it brings the show to a bad-sounding electric show instead of a good-sounding acoustic show."

Coletti handled the situation by sending a production assistant to Sam Ash to buy Grohl some new gear, including wire brushes and sizzle sticks. As a strong suggestions disguised as an early Christmas present, Grohl accepted the gear and went on to perform with his new gifts during 'Unplugged.'

Dave may play/write big dumb rock drums, but from everything I've seen he seems like a nice guy (excepting the AIDS denial business very early in Foo Fighters), and a mix tape of all my favorite Foo singles is still a fun listen, I just can't hate him. He still gets a lot of goodwill just for Everlong, the Stairway to Heaven of the 90s IMO.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Takes No Damage posted:

The whole reason Dave got the gig in the first place was that he was the hardest hitter Curt and Krist could find. I remember some old interview about it one of them said something like 'he beat the drums like they owed him money'. But I'd always heard it was the introduction of brushes that saved him for the Unplugged show, not the kit itself.

Dave may play/write big dumb rock drums, but from everything I've seen he seems like a nice guy (excepting the AIDS denial business very early in Foo Fighters), and a mix tape of all my favorite Foo singles is still a fun listen, I just can't hate him. He still gets a lot of goodwill just for Everlong, the Stairway to Heaven of the 90s IMO.

Have you heard the 'Muh good buddy Dave' story?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caPiPCzVHoE
Buzz does sounds very bitter and jealous.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm about the same age as Dave and I can tell you that hitting hard was the only way you'd be heard back in the day. Nearly every guitar player I was with in the 80s/90s cranked their Marshall half stack up to 11 and drum mics where expensive as hell. Plus everyone's influence back then was Bonham or Peart who were both VERY heavy hitters. Just look at the way drums were made back with "power toms" and large bass drums. Very hard to play quietly and still get a decent sound.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I've always liked Dave's playing in Nirvana and thought him beating the gently caress out of those drums on Nirvana records were a feature, not a bug. They sound great.

Same with Jimmy Chamberlain who also hit hard.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 13, 2020

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

AndrewP posted:

I've always liked Dave's playing in Nirvana and thought him beating the gently caress out of those drums on Nirvana records were a feature, not a bug. They sound great.

Same with Jimmy Chamberlain who also hit hard.

Honestly imo you HAVE to hit the drums hard if you want to stand a chance of being a good drummer down the road. I've seen dozens of young aggressive drummers who were able to keep the intensity but learn to control it over time. But it's much more difficult for a timid player to adapt the ability to sit up straight and hit the goddamn drum like they mean it.

So yeah, I'll take a heavy hitter over a gentle drummer anytime, especially if they're still a beginner

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

that's the excuse I'm going with for never learning dynamics as a teenager :v:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

timp posted:

Honestly imo you HAVE to hit the drums hard if you want to stand a chance of being a good drummer down the road. I've seen dozens of young aggressive drummers who were able to keep the intensity but learn to control it over time. But it's much more difficult for a timid player to adapt the ability to sit up straight and hit the goddamn drum like they mean it.

So yeah, I'll take a heavy hitter over a gentle drummer anytime, especially if they're still a beginner

100% agree with all of this. I hate wimpy drumming.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AndrewP posted:

Hell yeah. B)

It’s all about VELOCITY

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Welp I bought a Roland VAD503. Actual acoustic shells paired with the new TD27 module. It feels good to be playing a full sized four piece set again.

The digital snare is very good and the ride is a drat dream.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

I always heard not to try and play harder for more volume, that's what the speakers are for. I struggle with dynamics anyway, unless I really slow down and focus on it everything evens out to a moderate velocity. Are there any good exercises for just working up a basic > . > . > . > . accent pattern on the hihat or ride, or do I just need to sack up and practice even that basic a pattern to get used to it?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I was taught the Moeller technique, which seems to mean something different to everyone but for me it was basically starting a full stroke (accent) and hitting a ghost or unaccented note on the way back up. This movement basically informs how I play everything now because you can really control the dynamics and accent at will.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

I always heard not to try and play harder for more volume, that's what the speakers are for. I struggle with dynamics anyway, unless I really slow down and focus on it everything evens out to a moderate velocity. Are there any good exercises for just working up a basic > . > . > . > . accent pattern on the hihat or ride, or do I just need to sack up and practice even that basic a pattern to get used to it?

just practice it, with moeller technique. easy way to practice it is in a groove context since it's super common as an 8th note hats ostinato + you can just play along to songs

edit: hi5 AndrewP

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Takes No Damage posted:

Here's the thing to keep in mind about accent/tap quality and making sure there's a clear difference between the two. It's not about trying to play the accent higher and the tap lower—that's just the result. What you ACTUALLY want to think way more about is the REBOUND of each note. If you play an accent and the very next note is a tap, that means you need to squeeeeze the stick immediately after you play to force the bead to remain directly over the drumhead or cymbal. In otherwords, control the rebound to ensure that the height for the next note is low.

...And then the opposite applies when you play a tap followed by an accept. Play your tap low, nice and close to the drum or cymbal, and use your wrist immediately after you play to accelerate the motion of the natural rebound. This will get you ready to play the next note accented, at an appropriate height.

So while what you're playing (and hopefully what people are hearing) is ACCENT tap ACCENT tap ACCENT tap, what you should actually thinking about, inbetween those notes, is SQUEEZE, lift, SQUEEZE, lift, SQUEEZE, lift

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

also, not moeller, but I fold it into it, this video was/is still immensely helpful to me in regards to looseness and rebound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJD-L-tyvyE

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Once you work it up you can really develop speed. This is one of my favorite "drumming" videos even though the drums aren't even featured on it. But that's Jeff Porcaro on drums playing those hi hat sixteenths with just his right hand, fast as hell but also totally relaxed. This version is even faster than the studio version, I clock it around 101 BPM. Great technique (and cocaine probably) lets him just rip through this thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwXZI0X3HjM\

In conclusion, Jeff Porcaro Owned

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 19, 2020

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Welp I bought a Roland VAD503. Actual acoustic shells paired with the new TD27 module. It feels good to be playing a full sized four piece set again.

The digital snare is very good and the ride is a drat dream.

Mind if I ask what you paid?

AndrewP posted:

In conclusion, Jeff Porcaro Owned

Oh yes he did and had he not died so soon I think would have been better known. Toto isn't for everyone but go listen to something like this and actually listen to what he's playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RcZhdyXsEk

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

$4k for the VAD503. Expensive but after the Alesis Strike Pro debacle I didn't want to settle. Ideally this will last me for a long time.

Bonzo posted:

Toto isn't for everyone but go listen to something like this and actually listen to what he's playing.

Toto is a band that I grew to appreciate a lot more when I realized how good the members were. Don't love all their songs but that was a seriously quality group of musicians. Also Steve Lukather seems like a cool dude.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

Toto is a band that I grew to appreciate a lot more when I realized how good the members were. Don't love all their songs but that was a seriously quality group of musicians. Also Steve Lukather seems like a cool dude.

I have yet to give them a proper deep dive listen, literally can only name Africa right now, but weren't they basically a supergroup of top-tier session musicians who decided to start writing their own poo poo? Doesn't necessarily mean all the songs were good but the individual talent is obviously there.

timp posted:

So while what you're playing (and hopefully what people are hearing) is ACCENT tap ACCENT tap ACCENT tap, what you should actually thinking about, inbetween those notes, is SQUEEZE, lift, SQUEEZE, lift, SQUEEZE, lift

That's the kind of stuff I need, thanks. My problem right now is if I stop focusing on it then the accents and ghosts equalize out to be the same 'regular' volume.

AndrewP posted:

I was taught the Moeller technique, which seems to mean something different to everyone but for me it was basically starting a full stroke (accent) and hitting a ghost or unaccented note on the way back up. This movement basically informs how I play everything now because you can really control the dynamics and accent at will.

I actually brought a practice pad up to my office just to try and teach myself Moeller from the old Jim Chapin VHS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNBn8lnisL4&t=2020s

Should be timestamped to roughly where he really breaks down the movement, but the whole vid is worth a watch if anyone haven't seen it before. I do try and use a kind of Moeller-type movement when I need to quickly go from a hihat note to a crash, trying to use the 'tap on upstroke' move to get a headstart on my hand moving a further distance quickly. My bass foot warmup song is Judas Priest's Electric Eye but that HH > Crash movement comes up a lot as well.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Porcaro is a TON of stuff, most of it Yacht Rock but still

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Porcaro

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

What happened to the drum channel on the Goon Music Academy? I liked the idle chat there.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's still there, everyone's just busy playing guitar.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Siivola posted:

It's still there, everyone's just busy playing guitar.

i quit drums and became a guitarist—i even have the nails to prove it :v:

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Weird, I see it now but discord wasn’t showing it listed before. Must be a discord thing.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

I Might Be Adam posted:

Weird, I see it now but discord wasn’t showing it listed before. Must be a discord thing.

you hid unread channels- it happens if you click the top category above the individual channels. i do it sometimes and have an existential crisis

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
i haven't touched my drums in like 5-6 weeks (maybe longer?). Working from home in the same space as the studio for 8-10 hours a day = I don't want to spend any more time down there on recreational things :(

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Duke Chin posted:

i haven't touched my drums in like 5-6 weeks (maybe longer?). Working from home in the same space as the studio for 8-10 hours a day = I don't want to spend any more time down there on recreational things :(

huh, that's a bummer. I'm the opposite - they're so accessible and I love hopping on to play during my lunch break.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that sounds amazing. It's about 20 minutes between my apt and my practice studio and I still never find the time to drive up there on the weekends. If I could play my drums in my apartment I'd never get any work done :downsrim:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

AndrewP posted:

huh, that's a bummer. I'm the opposite - they're so accessible and I love hopping on to play during my lunch break.

Yeaaaaaaaaah I can't exactly do that because my partner is upstairs, also work-from-home, but in meetings constantly

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
Seems like this would be the best place to get some advice about electronic drum kits. A little pointless backstory will be followed by some questions.

I grew up drumming from when I was about 11, I never was an incredible drummer, but I was decent. Took lessons for a few years, was in metal and punk bands throughout middle school and highschool, never really was playing anything too technical, but yeah drumming was a big part of who I was for my youth. When I was about 20 my latest band was drifting apart - drugs, college, moving away, etc. And I moved to the city into a tiny apartment and left the drums behind. Never tried hard enough at that point to continue drumming for various reasons, space being the old excuse.

Now I'm in my 30s and have my own house with a basement, went through the trouble of getting my kit back into shape and set up, but surprise drums are loving loud so it didn't really work to play them when the wife was home, plus I've been super self conscious of breaking all of the rust off my skills. Next thing you know I've got a child and there's just no way in hell to play drums in my own home.

I live for music, I miss having a creative musical outlet and I've thought about trying to learn to play bass, but I'm a drummer, I want to drum.

tl;dr: I've heard that electronic kits have gotten pretty drat good, and certainly in the age of covid have seen some drummers in youtube videos sounding great on electronic drums. It's really piqued my interest. I've done the base level of investigation with google searches, but I'm looking for some insight. I don't mind making a reasonable investment, do you all have any recommendations on a good electronic kit for an intermediate player who is interested in playing the drums a few hours a week and trying to further hone skills/play along with music?

I just miss drumming, I have SPACE for it, but not the noise tolerance, and I'm thinking an electronic kit makes sense for me. I would greatly appreciate insight.

Evil Bob fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 29, 2020

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

RTOM Black Hole mutes and Zildjian low volume cymbals have been a godsend for me. I can play all I want and not disturb anyone. I don't have a basement, so my practice room is only a couple of rooms away, and my wife watches TV while I play without having to crank up the volume on the TV.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

a mysterious cloak posted:

RTOM Black Hole mutes and Zildjian low volume cymbals have been a godsend for me. I can play all I want and not disturb anyone. I don't have a basement, so my practice room is only a couple of rooms away, and my wife watches TV while I play without having to crank up the volume on the TV.

I will definitely check these out. Still interested in electronic kit insight too!

These do look and sound like an awesome solution, however most of my free time occurs after my toddler goes to sleep. I'll have to find some to check out in person.

Evil Bob fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Might also see what kind of soundproofing you can do in the basement itself. Hanging a few layers of old curtains or rugs a few inches away from the walls/ceiling can eat up a lot of sounds and vibrations. Youtube is full of drummers posting 'how to soundproof a room' tutorials, though the quality will vary.