Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Not really, but now I totally wish there were.

"OK Dave, for this track we want Petersen's Augmented Shuffle in the verse, a Bonetti Transition and then some Whirling Xerxes through the chorus."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bought a £10 mat from a garage a while back, perfect size, rubber backed, brilliant. I only went in to grab a sandwich.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

One up, one down, ride, two crashes. Gradually been slimming it down over the years.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Guy Davis' parts for Reuben are pretty fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8a1C6Oyss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gkv8-c1Cao https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiU02zXizXQ and so on

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Use your own kit if you like how it sounds. There are a million personal things that go into making your kit yours, and any half-decent engineer will be able to work with it in the room.

Splitting tracking over a couple of days should be no big deal either really, the chances of it sounding wildly different are slim unless you retune your drums differently for some reason. In the past I've split a cymbal in between recording sessions and had to replace it, which did make an obvious difference. But your drum sound ought to be fairly consistent.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

How many legs do you have?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Remembering is probably better than reading, unless you have to be completely exact and are having trouble remembering that much detail.

But in general if you can read it you should be able to write it, as long as you know what you're playing.

What style of music is it?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

fzA455 posted:

getting two toms over a 24 inch bass comfortably is a tall order

:rimshot:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Hey drum goons. Considering getting my daughter her first kit for her 4th birthday. Does something like this one seem reasonable? The cymbals will undoubtedly be trash but the setup is at least proper instead of one of those wierdo kid kits.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

silvergoose posted:

So my 4 year old has been consistently asking for a drumset for half a year now, which means I'm legitimately considering getting him something for, say, his fifth birthday. Why can't he play the viola like me??

I don't see much in the way of small kits on CL nearby, so I'm wondering what might make sense for something off Amazon (or another site if it makes more sense, or maybe physical store?)

Just wondering if folks have any advice for young kids specifically. I sure am looking forward to waking up to it, yep.

I asked the same question a few months back and didn't get a response; but from poking about elsewhere on the internet your options are basically to buy a "kids" kit of which there are many in varying quality from awful toy crap to some quite decent things which could be slowly upgradeable (better heads, cymbals, pedal, snare etc) as needed, or a small-sized adult kit (18" kick) which will probably be better quality again.

Or get an electric kit, which might help with noise, but that's a whole other debate.

What's your budget like?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Good question. Probably aiming in the 100ish range since, y'know, who knows if he really truly will play it, but I'm open to higher if that only means crap.

Knowing options would be good basically. I think non electric for now.

Personally I'd want to avoid anything that doesn't have a proper configuration of (at least) bass, snare, high tom, floor tom, hats and cymbal. So something like this piece of poo poo would be right out.

This sort of thing feels much better, and the separate cymbal stand (rather than mounting from the bass drum on a flimsy piece of crap) is a particular selling point for me. The quality isn't going to be amazing for that money but at least everything will be in the right place and somewhat tuneable (low number of lugs is slightly concerning but as people have said above moon gel and/or gaffer tape can work wonders.)

Beyond that you're looking at spending a bunch more money on a kit from a decent named manufacturer, probably not worth it unless your kid is really going to get into it long-term. There is some cool stuff out there though if they're getting serious in a few years time and you want to upgrade.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

1 up 2 down is fairly common these days. Definitely leans towards the heavier side of thing but it's basically just to get more bottom end for whatever you want that for. Also means you can still have your ride pulled in close if that's your thing. I only have 1u1d but have played a few kits with double floor toms and really enjoyed it.

For an electric kit you can put the sounds where you want so go wild!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

Question:

Does anyone have any good ideas for improving kick pedal speed? I'm fine most of the time, but if I'm playing something like For Whom the Bell Tolls, there are these occasional super fast pedal hits in there which I'm fairly sure were meant to be played with a double bass pedal but maybe not?

In any case I could do with more speed and control with my pedal in any case, and while it's something that's improving on its own now that I'm playing regularly again, I'm still on the lookout for exercises that are goon-approved(tm).

Short answer, practice.

If it's just a double hit then you can do it with a single pedal, but obviously for more sustained quick bass drum action you'll want a double pedal.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Seems like that guy could be on for taking Cozy Powell's "most drums played in a minute" record.

https://youtu.be/-FlhtqJtICE

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Hey there drum chums.

My band put out our first recorded material in over three years today. Would be interested to hear any thoughts you might have.

https://gagreflex.bandcamp.com/album/what-we-owe-to-each-other

Bass / drums two piece, sort of punkish but broader than that.

Guitarists *ARE* dorks, no need for them imo

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

Does anyone have a good solution to losing a drumstick while playing?

Being old, ive got bone growing into my spine, whichmeans i occasionally lose my grip on one hand and my stick flies off

Tie them to strings that go up and around inside your shirt like kids mittens

Or keep one or more spares at easily grabbable places (hanging from floor tom, on top of bass drum, etc.)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

The middle section of He Films The Clouds pt. 2 by Maybeshewill comes to mind.

https://youtu.be/lVopcyHcEgU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Looking good!

I know having everything flat as poo poo is cool but for me your crash in particular could do with just a little tilt towards you to help prevent cracking (especially when you spend money on something that you care about.) A little bit of an angle on that rack tom might also help with your knuckles.

Or not, it's mostly taste.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Who doesn't take their own bass pedal to shows?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

100% better to buy a second hand kit from a manufacturer you've heard of, even if it's their entry-level range it'll be better than that junk. Worn skins can be replaced, a stool can be bought cheap, but horrible toy-quality shells and hardware (and particularly cymbals) will never be good.

If you want to post a vague area for us to look in I expect some people itt would enjoy browsing local listing to find some value. Spending other people's money is fun!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Cool! The fact that someone's gone to the trouble of replacing the stock heads with Evans feels like a good sign. Cymbals probably aren't up to much but at least Paiste feel ok enough about them to put their name on them (sort of.) Crash/ride cymbals are "interesting", work out which it does a better job as and keep an eye out for another cymbal stand and a half-decent second-hand cymbal to do the other job better as your first upgrade for sure. I'd probably go for a proper heavy ride with a nice ping to it and keep the big crash but it's very much a personal choice.

And have fun!

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 26, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

HappyCamperGL posted:

Do you really need to be able to play both right and left handed?

No but it's cool

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Do any of the fine posters in this thread use their teeth to drum? I'm not talking about holding the sticks, I'm talking about making weird little mouth noises to yourself by grinding and clacking them in a drum-like fashion while you're going about your daily business.

I ask because I've done it for as long as I can remember and my partner thinks it's weird, and then I read today in Dave Grohl's autobiography that he does it too and apparently the only other person he's known do it was Kurt Cobain. But I reckon it's got to be more common than that (and to be honest he probably hasn't asked that many people.)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah I used to play without resos purely so I could fit my rack tom inside my floor tom inside my bass drum inside my car.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

DonnyTrump posted:

I never really thought about this but it turns out I do this pretty well constantly lol. Turns out the right side of my jaw is the bass drum and left is the snare…

Same. I wonder if lefty drummers also mouth-drum the other way round?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

If trad grip is so good why not do it with both hands, huh?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bonzo posted:

This is really cool and now I want a smoke drum. Pretty cool that they rotate out who plays what set to keep it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlujVBzSaps

Stick a bowl of dry ice inside your kick drum and one of those goofy big port holes in the front skin, job done.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I Might Be Adam posted:

Soooo after an extremely long hiatus, I have space to set up my Catalina club kit again. Last time it was set up was 2019 and tuned lower for rock. I recently tuned it higher for jazz but the 5 lug rack tom is being an absolute pain to get a decent sound out of. Lots of overtones and not all that great sounding.

I have evans g1 coated on top and bottom. The heads are fine outside of being in bags for a few years and have low play time.

Wondering how much the 5 lug layout is causing it?

Yeah that seems like not enough lugs. I guess Gretsch know more than me about drums but still.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I'd be tempted to ignore the bottom bearing edges for now and just not bother skinning them for that old-school feel (and much less hassle.) I spent years without reso heads on my export just so that I could nest it for easy storage and transport, it does change the sound but it's a choice rather than being strictly worse.

If you want them done properly the best thing is probably going to be to find a local drum maker (or someone else super confident with what they're doing) to cut new bearing edges, shortening the depth of the toms slightly.

With the mount you might get lucky and find an alternate mount that has the same hole spacing but you're more likely to need new holes, yeah. You can fill the old ones but you'll have gaps in the wrap, unless the plate of your new mount has the same or larger footprint. Probably not an enormous concern for an old fixer-upper first learning kit, but worth considering I suppose. Or you could look at a rims mounting system and avoid holes altogether.

Overall it looks like a cool kit to play around with though, that wrap is wild.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Nice! Seems like a long way to have to move your foot back (i.e. towards your body) to get from the acoustic hats to the electric kick but if you're having fun that's cool. Just looks like the middle pedal on the left could shunt forwards like 4 inches without having to move anything else and be more playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Ah yep, now I see the hi-hat leg is in the way.

Time to get a 2-leg stand!