Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

JesusDoesVegas posted:

Thanks.

I just watched whiplash. Everyone should see it, then immediately go practice until their hands and sticks and heads are soaked in blood.

That suitcase drumkit is loving awesome and I'd love to know exactly how you did it!
Whiplash was loving amazing as well, I wish I could practice more than I can right now (only drumkit I can really use is a few kilometers away and can't really go and play whenever I want to beyond when my band is rehearsing or at midnight :v)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I always get so confused when I see drummers who have so much to play on, personally I think two hanging toms and one floortom + 2 crash + 1 ride & hihat (plus snare and kick) is the perfect amount of drums to play on.
I haven't played for a very long time though (I think this summer marks my 3rd year of drumming, and my 2nd year of playing in a band as a drummer) so this might change, how long have you've been playing?

Speaking of which, I really feel that I should start learning actual rudimentaries, I know paradiddles but beyond that I'm sort of lost.
I think I got the proper way of playing (using my wrists and having the stick alongside the arm) and that I got my sitting down, I never get a sore back after band practice (we play 2-3 hours at least).

I'm also excercising fairly regularly to keep my body fresh, but beyond that I'm not sure where to look. My city doesn't have any drum teachers so I've only played and played and played with my band/s to learn how to play, so I might have picked up some bad habits along the way even if I might not feel the effect yet.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

tnimark posted:

Perfect for you is the key thing.

I like a simple kit too. I play a 4 piece (with hh, 2 crashes and a ride), but everyone has different tastes and different needs to suit what they want to play.

Yeah I'm not saying it is wrong, I just wonder if the whole getting more stuff to the drums is a thing that happens with time or if it just merely a stylistic choice, like getting effect pedals for your guitar.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

AARO posted:

Listening to the new radiohead album I realized that even their worst songs ever are better than the best songs I've released and that bummed me out a bit. I'm probably never going to "make it" in music. Here's a link to my most recent song. The first song I've recorded since AMSP. Somebody in GBS said "Nice Radiohead cover OP." As if they are the only band on earth who is allowed to make that style of music. Think of all the bands that exist that influence eachother and sound like eachother. Especially older stuff like 60s music there used to be tons of bands that sounded almost identical on certain tracks.

I guess what I'm saying is, can't I release songs that "sound like Radiohead" without that being some kind of bad thing? And if they really do sound like them, why doesn't anyone give a poo poo about them? Seriously I've only had 1 person buy my music and write to me telling me they love it. Everyone else just listens to it and says "Meh".

I guess I just really wish I could write a song that other people love as much as I do. But so far I haven't been able to do that. I think a big problem is I need a talented drummer to work with. The drums I make myself with machines are boring poo poo. They make the songs sound boring. I wish I could work with someone who could come up with incredible syncopated beats that would just make the songs excellent. Drummers are the most underrated part of bands. I can play every other instrument but without a good drummer I'm just not able to ever get the sound that I'm looking for.

Radiohead worked for 7 years before having anything released to the public, they've also worked together for 31 years now. They're also a few people together, who all can chip in and help produce the tracks they've written. Being a solo artist, and literally being just that, one artist making everything means spending a LOT of time figuring out what works, and what doesn't. That means it takes even longer time for you to churn out stuff, whereas Radiohead has 5 individuals and a team of producers, engineers and other people chipping in and perfecting their art.

Making it takes persistent work and a LOT of songs, like, hundreds of songs, all of which will probably never ever see the light of day.

Writing music that isn't mainstream or close to mainstream means it'll be harder to make it, how much are you promoting yourself? Being able to connect with people in the business and really making a concentrated effort to sell your product (your music) is an art that few people master.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Duke Chin posted:

Sold.

Anybody got any good youtubes of where to start setting this poo poo up and/or recommendations of what drum samples pack I should buy that works well with reaper or whatever?

EzDrummer 2.0 works flawlessly for me in Reaper.

Here's how they sound (with some mixing of course, but it's essentially the same sound)
https://soundcloud.com/skriket/01-the-castle

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Telephones posted:

gently caress! My apartment office just told me I've gotten multiple noise complaints from my electronic drum kit. I asked if it was the apartment downstairs from me, and they said well we can't tell you but we've actually had multiple complaints (which they didn't tell tell me until I called about a maintenance request, meaning they've been letting the problem fester for at least a week or two). IDGI. I'm wearing headphones, feathering the bass drum, not smashing the sticks. How can anyone hear me?

I think there are three things probably. One, I need to build a riser to isolate the vibrations from the kit. Two, the back of the bass drum pad was right against the wall, so maybe it was sending vibrations through the building? Third, I need to move it away from the door and into my bedroom.

Still, part of what makes drumming so loving cathartic for me is that I can go fast and let go and freak the gently caress out. They told me that next time there's a complaint they're going to put a report on file (which I don't think is fair, given they really put off telling me about the noise complaints). I really don't want to stop drumming! It's so cathartic, it's a great social activity, exactly the role I want to play in a band, I loving love it so much. But I absolutely cannot be playing if every second I'm thinking about paranoid about the neighbors. And I want to be going hard at least four hours a day.

What do I DO? I feel bound up in ropes! I was thinking about learning piano or guitar or vocals? But that's not the same.

How's your relationship to your neighbors? If it's anywhere near decent or at least not a bad relationship, maybe talking to them and seeing when it would be possible for you to bang the drums and fix your drumming schedule around that.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

timp posted:

When you hit a bass drum pedal the force of your foot sends the beater sideways into the bass drum head. Without something to help reduce friction you’ll find your entire bass drum rig scooting forward on you. It’s nearly impossible to fix while playing and also, why should you have to?

Regarding drum placement, you want to conserve range of motion. Don’t place the toms where you think they should be, put them where you want them to be so that they’re easy to play. Tilt plays a big factor in that as folks have already mentioned. If you have to raise your arm just to play a tom, that kind of adds an unnecessary motion to the equation. By tilting the head towards you a bit, you won’t have to do as much of an arm lift, meaning it’ll be easier to move from drum to drum quickly if needed.

Rug is absolutely a good thing to have not only for the comfort but also for sound dampening. I usually tie some small role or w/e around my drum seat and tie it to both "pegs" of the bass drum too, that way my butt can anchor the whole kit without having to worry about the bass drum scooting away as you play it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Hearing protection might be a good idea. The guys at the store were very helpful and did a quick tune on them just to get me started so I could play when I got home. I'm going to have to do a lot of reading about that. I went back there yesterday to pick up some of those gel pads that they recommended to put on them to take away some of the sustain(?, I don't know the terminology yet). The bass drum is very loud and needs to be dampened but then I'd have to take the head off so I'm going to have to learn how to tune it before that.

I might also consider getting some sort of mute pads later on. I talked to my next door neighbor right after I bought the drums and made sure he had my number to let me know if I'm being too loud lol. He's a cool guy.

What I learned a long time ago was that, tuning the drums by resting your body (not pushing) on the edges and tightening with your fingers will get you a pretty decent way in terms of having them in tune