Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

re: non-trad kit setups, i’m looking at getting a remote hat and putting it between my high and floor toms, under the ride, and i feel like this is a step towards just mirroring my whole kit like Gary Chester 🤔

bigfoot again posted:

Thanks. Honestly having to shift kits around does bother me a bit because I’d like to play in community bands if they ever exist again. The ankle thing is a short tendon so it’s not going to change all that much but I could probably develop some kind of technique to compensate. It’s just a bit of a ballache, but I’ll trying to work out if that’s a bigger ballache than needing a special setup and having to learn to do fills and tom grooves on the left.

Sorry, I know people can’t really figure this out for me but it’s really helpful to hear from better drummers

if you decide to go the standard righty kit route, hit me up. i’m a drum teacher and one of my specialties is technique, so we could prolly find a way to work with your short tendon to do what you want bass drum-wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

that’s 3mo? drat, i wished my students practiced as much as you do :krad:

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

:hi5: rock band ex-pats all around!

Takes No Damage posted:

vvv You definitely lose a lot just by the nature of the game interface, having a max of 7 digital signals, but it's a lot closer to real playing than buttons on a guitar at least. Can imagine it would be super weird to start playing if you already have experience on an acoustic kit, but going game -> real drumkit is just another hardware upgrade :homebrew:

this is def true. i went back to it once and open hats being not on the hats really messed me up, and it locking you into where to play the crash too

it was a great start into reading music tho too...it’s p much big, colorful, sideways sheet music :eng101:

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

If you've never had an in-person lesson before, I'd recommend making sure you look up a few videos specifically on how to hold the drumsticks. Best case you might have to unlearn some bad habits, but it is possible to actually hurt yourself if you hold them wrong for long enough, stuff like repetitive stress and soaking up excessive vibrations in your fingers and wrists.

:emptyquote:

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

ik half y’all’re in the discord and’ve seen this already, but lemme dox myself here too

since i’m one of like four drummers who also engraves/edits sheet music who also has extensively studied the existing (quite outdated) drum notation references, i made a drum notation guide called the In The Pocket Guide To Drum Set Notation (also I finally have a website but only so I had a place to sell it lol)

if you’re one of the dirty music readers and hate the unreadable trash your musician guitarist friends keep handing you, bully them into buying and memorizing it

grab it here for Name Your Price (starting at 10$): https://courtneyannemcnally.com

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

New New Fresh posted:

Cool as hell, gonna link it to my arranger buddies. Also there's a discord??

heck yeah^2, disco is from the Great Unnecessary Migration a few months ago

https://discord.gg/mJ6u6HJJ

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Fixins posted:

After like a decade I got my first drum kit, a electric, alesis nitro mesh, the other day and I've fallen in love with playing. My issue is there's no musical teachers around where I live so I'm kinda bones on that part. Granted I have about 14 years of guitar and bass playing so I'm musically okay but I wanna get decent at drums. Are there any good online resources I should use?

Like everyone else I played boat loads of rock band so I think my very basic fundamentals are okay but I'd like to learn some theory and like when to hit the toms etc. Thanks goons

i give online lessons (dm me), and/or start following some drum youtubers e.g. mike johnston (linear licks), rob brown (watch exclusively at 2x speed), stephen’s drum shed (lotta great older vids), drumeo, etc

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Fixins posted:

I bought your.book already so sweet! I don't have pm but do you have email or does your site have it? Thanks

wow i need to make my email more obvious cuz i just checked my site and couldn’t find it despite designing the whole thing :eng99:

email: courtney@courtneyannemcnally.com

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

That little drum kit you drew over the sheet music sample on your website is cute as heck.

I didn't realize the notation lined up with (rough) actual drum position that well. Drumcute.

thanks! the original hand drawn version was by a guy on fb named Stephen Snodgrass, I got his permission to use it and I commissioned a goon friend (nem0? I actually dk their username) to make a fancy digital version

Fixins posted:

Oh also, anyone have a link for the discord? The link posted earlier expired

https://discord.gg/b7jThFcu

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

KJ Sawka streams using an e-kit

https://youtu.be/v1MpEcjxS6s

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

scuz posted:

Anyone have a piping hot fresh discord link? The one on the last page expired.

https://discord.gg/KqnTjFMw

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Bonzo posted:

Has anyone tried Kick Block? Looks like a much better way than the usual methods and not expensive at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hflCVc1a4YY

pretty expensive for what is literally a brick with some velcro on it

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

what’re y’all’s fave cymbal bags?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

untzthatshit posted:

Any tips on getting into hand percussion for someone who's played drum kit their whole life? Any particular lesson books to pick or YouTubes to follow? Should I start by just picking up a single congo or go for bongos etc?

def start with with conga. i can’t listen cuz i’m on the train, but skimming this it looks like a good intro, very well made https://youtu.be/rcBLQxhPWnU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

in addition to what takes no damage said, get an actual drum throne. the angle you made on that bar stool is going to give you back issues, and you’re likely to slide off it. you said you’re cheap—check craigslist and facebook marketplace for used ones (i’d recommend this regardless cuz why unnecessarily spend extra lol)

i’d also recommend at least a couple lessons with a teacher, maybe not weekly, but here and there. while the modifications you’ve made (mainly thinking of the screwing your shoes to the foot plates) help you now, they’re limiting not only your use of other foot implements like takes no damage said, but also your ability to play bass/double bass well, efficiently, fast, and long-term

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Hawkperson posted:

Hi y’all. I don’t hang in this thread much as I’m a really lovely drummer lol. But! Next year instead of a second intermediate group I will have a percussion class. (I teach middle school.) I am super loving excited and I am just wondering if there’s anything you ever wished you learned about drums/perc when you were 12 that you ended up having to learn on your own or later on in life. Sky’s the limit - sure I’ll teach em rudiments and so on but I also have 8 drum sets and want to give them a more well-rounded education than “perform 18 classical snare drum etudes” or whatevs. I’m hardly an expert at any perc but I have YouTube and a big ol screen to project it on, so.

teach them about drum set--the pieces, where the wing screws are to adjust the angles/heights of everything, etc.. mention adjusting the instrument to you, not yourself to however the last person left it. you don't have to make a big deal about/spend a whole class on it, just mention it here and there when it pops up.

after a handful of classes recruit a few friends/coworkers to disassemble/reassemble each kit in the worst ways possible. the less they know about drums the better.

kids walk in, aw heck oh jeez idk what happened i guess we can't play until we're all set up :shrug:

gimme a bit to find some example pics of when i did this at a summer camp

edit: pics must be on an old phone somewhere cuz i couldn’t find them anywhere :(

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 2, 2022

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Helianthus Annuus posted:

if you would like to browse listings with me, the zip code is 61801.

i’m legit surprised there’s nothing nearby, but if you have a car/can travel,

same price range as that terrible amazon kit: https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/d/brownsburg-pearl-roadshow-piece/7483329909.html

a bit closer but more expensive (could haggle to lower citing above listing): https://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/msg/d/lafayette-pearl-roadshow-drum-kit-like/7485040509.html

solid kit. good hats and crash: https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/d/brownsburg-tama-rockstar-5pc-drum-set/7482927702.html

great kit, but no cymbals/hardware so extra work finding those: https://springfieldil.craigslist.org/msg/d/springfield-yamaha-stage-cusom/7483945569.html

honestly if you can make it up to chicago that really opens up your options

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

untzthatshit posted:

What's the best latin for drumkit lesson book out there these days?

Conversations In Clave by Horatio Hernández

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Luna posted:

Any recommendations on a good drum pad? I don't need/want all the synth sounds or am I going to be a DJ. I just want a grid of 8-10 pads with decent drum sounds and the ability to use it to trigger a superior drummer type software in a DAW setting. The ability to use sticks and foot triggers is a big plus.

the Roland SPD-SX is the industry standard. depending on where you are you'll be able to find used ones in great condition on craigslist/fb

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Tenchrono posted:

Has anyone had good experiences with things such as the REMO Silent Strike heads on traditional sets vs e-kits in regards to sound dampening? I am moving to a bigger apartment soon and would like to start taking drumming lessons / get a new hobby now that I have the space but I dont want to make the neighbors mad.

one of the studios i teach at has a kit with silent strokes and it’s p quiet, but that’s in the context of a loud music school. it’d prolly be okay for an apartment, esp if you put some additional dampening in the bass drum, and maybe even great if you went through the trouble of making a plywood/tennis ball isolation stand for the whole kit. either way it’d really depend on which room you’re playing in/which floor you’re on—are you playing against a shared wall/do you have people below you?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Can anyone make some suggestions for electronic kits on something like a budget, used is fine especially if there's a reverb link etc. Electric is pretty necessary, I don't have the space here to facilltate banging on a real set and I already have enough tinnitus to last my life. If I could get something for 3-400$ that's ideal; if we really get into it, can always go to something nicer later.

drop your local craigslist/whatever link and i’m sure a few of us would find you something…looking at drums is always fun, especially when you don’t have to spend your own money on them

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Do any of the fine posters in this thread use their teeth to drum? I'm not talking about holding the sticks, I'm talking about making weird little mouth noises to yourself by grinding and clacking them in a drum-like fashion while you're going about your daily business.

I ask because I've done it for as long as I can remember and my partner thinks it's weird, and then I read today in Dave Grohl's autobiography that he does it too and apparently the only other person he's known do it was Kurt Cobain. But I reckon it's got to be more common than that (and to be honest he probably hasn't asked that many people.)

yes and i’m in an eternal struggle to stop cuz i know it’s wearing my teeth down

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Hawkperson posted:

Weird specific question but any hi hat cymbals I could buy either 1) easily in bulk or 2) easily off Amazon? That don’t suck rear end lol. We are playing the ones that came with our sets though so literally anything would be an improvement.

depends on your budget, but zildjian, sabian, and paiste all have have b80 (entry level) cymbals, or you could go a step up and get something zildjian A (not A custom)

since you’re buying in bulk and for your school, try emailing their representatives and asking if you can get a bulk and/or education discount

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I've wanted to learn drums forever (my dad has been a drummer since he was a teenager). So I picked up a cheapo Donner DED-100 and signed up for drumeo, and it's actually starting to click, at least more than any other musical attempt I've ever made.

One thing I'm having trouble with on this set is the hi-hat. It seems really difficult to hold it anywhere between wide open and closed, it's very "digital", I guess. I've read that the hi-hat is usually a weak point with edrum sets, even on more expensive ones, but is there anything I can do to improve the performance of the pedal?

spend 1000$ on the latest and greatest roland e-hi hat, but that’ll only get you 90% of the way there. second best one is like 800$ and sucks. otherwise no

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Hello drum thread. Don't know where to start looking for this, but I'm interested in getting some sort of rig that I can use to practice double bass drums, and that I can just slide in under my desk so I can practice when I'm doing stuff on the computer. Any suggestions would be welcome, and I'm located in the US. Basically I think I'm looking for something similar to what is pictured here:

bass drum practice pad + double bass pedal

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Basic Poster posted:

Hi friends.

Just starting out. Ive had a few kits before (Im one of those weirdos that has all the instruments because I cant find people who play things I like to play).

Following OPs advice, I picked up a practically new mapex mars craigslist kit and am having a bit of trouble on rudiments.

Basically if I am holding the sticks the same in both hands, like french or whatever, my non dominant hand has two problems. A lot of lateral stick movement off the rebound of a hit (just doing 2 roll on each hand trying to have my fingers do the throw on the rebound). Like just swinging wildly from left to right, the stick doesn’t rebound vertically as it does in my dominant hand. And the butt of the stick is often getting caught up on some part of my body (hip, thigh, etc). Pushing my elbows out further seems pretty awkward. Am I sitting too low? Do I need to have more surface area on my non dom grip? Does this just “go away”? After lots of practice?

post a video of your issue

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

Any of you goons play a hybrid acoustic/electric kit? Any recommendations on stuff to look out for? Good deals? All I really want is a left foot pedal and one pad. I don't think I'm interested in triggers.

on and off, yeah

roland spd-sx + roland kt-10 pedal

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

The sample pad is cool but I'm leaning towards something like a 2-zone "tom" pad. How's the kick pedal? Can you rest your foot on it without it triggering? Does it bounce back up quickly?

i play it heel up/burying the “beater” and it only triggers on the final stroke. feels amazingly like a real pedal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

looks like a lap cajon. they come in a lotta different shapes/sizes. couldn’t find that exact brand, but there are similar if you google