Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

me your dad posted:

Had a second interview last week and was told they'd have a decision Friday (today). I haven't gotten a call. I'm really bummed and feeling really despondent right now. Everything seemed to be going awesome and they acknowledged me to be a solid fit.

Would it be useless or bad form to email on Monday to ask what's up?

I've literally never had them respond on time. Ive been in a lot of interviews. How long ago was the interview?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I have an interview for a very 'hands on" Mechanical Engineer position with business casual dress code.

I am thinking:
-Collared, button up shirt.
-Khaki or navy pants.
-sport coat or blazer that matches but probably a different color than the pants.
-Leather shoes but not shiny ones.
-No tie

What do you all think of this?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

me your dad posted:

The second interview was Thursday, September 5th.

I would assume you sent a follow up thank you. If you have, then wait two weeks to send an email.

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

Will you be involved with manufacture? If yes then that should be good.

Best path is always to ask your recruiter or hiring manager "would a suit be appellate attire for the interview" so they know you intend to aim high and can talk you down as appropriate.

I'd recommend this for everyone, every time and for almost every job if the interview expectation isn't immediately apparent, though.

Yes though I will be there as an engineer. We had this conversation via email about it (formalities removed):

Him: It was nice speaking with you yesterday. I think it would be worthwhile for you to come down for an on-site visit as the next step in this process. You mentioned availability on Thursdays so how does 9/19/2013 sound? Please let me know.
Me: Sounds perfect to me. What time should I be there? It is a little over 3 hours from my area to your location.
Him: Please plan to be here at 10am. Business casual is fine. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Me: Aww but I look so beautiful in a suit, haha. I'll be there at 10, can't wait. Other than the interview basics, is there anything it would be help to bring or fill out ahead of time? E.G. application, samples/pictures of work I've done, etc.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

me your dad posted:

Definitely. I sent unique thank you emails the following day to each of the three people involved in the interview.

Yea you're golden. Chances are the people interviewing you may not have the final say in hiring you, someones out of town, you're second choice, etc. Point is I've never gotten told yes or no on the first day they said I would.

I interviewed at a major car company. Thought I aced it HR girl said if it were up to her they'd decide today but they had to interview everyone. Said it'd be two weeks. Gave me her personal cell phone number.

...I both didn't get the job and didn't hear about it for 3 months. Called or emailed about once a month.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Would you say that most recruiters/HR check out the person on facebook? What do you look for on it?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I have not had compensation discussed in an interview except for a job that was so high stress the salary is what brought people in. Compensation offer usually comes with a concrete job offer and you bring it up then.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Masonity posted:

I had an interview for a position I wasn't qualified for, thought I had done really well and got a "no" back.

I went to an interview yesterday for an engineering position at a professional motorsports team. I think I'm gonna get a no back because I semi-fit for two different positions but don't perfectly fit for either for sure. Hoping something like what you described will happen :unsmith:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Just write them, it is better than not writing them.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
In engineering it is pretty common to have jobs that are work 4 10s, friday off, or strict 40 hour 48/5 work weeks. It is also common to have 60 hour 6/10+s work week.

Both end up being salaried.

I don't mind working 60 hours per week, I just wanna be paid 1.5x+ the salary of a 40 hour per week job.

What is the best way of phrasing this in an interview without seeming lazy? I was thinking something along the lines of when they ask me if I have any questions to ask them to describe a typical week in that role, but Id really like to be a bit more direct. I also dont want them to deflect this question and it end uyp that I am all work no social life and not making any extra for it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

FrozenVent posted:

If they're interviewing for the position, they've already decided they needed someone to fulfill that role and they ought to have a pretty good idea what it is. By all mean discuss the exact position and responsibilities though.

I'd also keep my strong opinions about the industry to myself during an interview, but that's just me.

I think there's a lot that gets discussed in an interview that misses the forest for the trees which is I think what he's getting at.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I would say something like: Prioritize the assignments based on mission criticality, develop Gantt charts to assign completion dates to the steps of the project and determine the resources necessary to complete that project. If needed and possible, pull resources to work on projects so they can be both be completed on schedule. If it is not possible to complete one on schedule, make sure it is the less critical of the two and attempt to reschedule the deadline. Inform those who need to be in the know, reassuring all stakeholders in the project that their needs are very important to you and the company.

I disagree that the closest deadline comes first.

Maybe work in something about your ability to stay clam, logical and personable in stressful situations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Personality skills, your ability to solve problems better than others with some examples of that, other things easily conveyed in words but not specific skills with keywords in them.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Some dude is ALWAYS too busy to get back on approving the next step. Or out of town. If they weren't over working current employees they wouldn't be hiring.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
If the manager and HR person on the new one is different Id go for it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
If you should wear a suit, wear a suit. If the interview is business casual, a blazer and dress pants is how I've done that in the past.

If you think you need to spend $1000 on a suit for an internship interview you've been reading YLLS and other bs too much, unless you're applying for a fashion internship or something similar.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

NancyPants posted:

I had some misgivings following my interview because I knew factually that the position was new and either the responsibilities were not clearly defined, or the manager (who was new to the department and possibly management itself) wasn't clear about them herself, but I figured everyone has to be new sometime. Two months in, and I'm very much questioning my decision to accept the job based solely on management.

Who here has declined an offer where the pay and the job fit what they were looking for, but they didn't have a good feeling about management? I'm curious what things others have dealt with.

I turned down a job recently that I wouldve done well at and was a decent enough but fit for, but it was a small company recently acquired and run by a guy with a M&A background who had been at companies a max of 3 years over the last decade and a half and in the interview talked about a lot of 5 year and 10 year plans.

He kinda reminded me of myself and why I always need to remind myself to follow through.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
This might be obvious, but if you can, spend a couple weeks studying really hard for whatever stuff is in the job description for the job you really want. Then if you get a phone screen/phone interview study really hard for the subjects they talk about.

I recently got a job that is exactly what I want to do, which pays above market for the area, and is where I want to live and when I looked at the job description it was a hail mary application. But I studied like crazy and found a bunch of Webinars on the fundamentals and got an offer with just a phone interview (and telling them that I was interviewing with one of their competitors, but that they were my favorite). I also torrented thigh highest reviewed books on the subject and read one of them before my interview.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Absolutely you should. There are tons of calculators to convert your SoCal $ into Austin $. $100k in San Francisco is only $60k in Orlando FL. If someone was offered 70 in orlando they'd be living much better than on a low 6 figure SF Salary.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

asur posted:

I agree that you should, but cost of living should be taken with a grain of salt. It's a guess using averages and it also only applies to certain expenses, housing, groceries, utilities, and transportation being the big ones.

Having lived in both places I can say the calculator estimation is pretty spot on for the case presented. YMMV.

The only two things to note IMO are:
-youll probably be able to contribute more toward a 401k on the higher salary.
-different regions commonly have different benefits that are normal there. My Bay area and Central FL benefits packages are totally different. In florida they actually use the word pension, a word you probably wont find in the tech industry.

I would suggest use at least 2-3 of the several calculators out there.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KernelSlanders posted:

Consider, though, what the present value of one year's credit to the pension is. Even worse, if it's a defined benefits plan and not Federally guaranteed, the risk adjusted present value is probably close to zero.

Im not really presenting either of them as good or bad, just saying understand that old style companies in the defense and automotive sector will pay you in different ways than tech companies. And big company tech compensaion is very different than start up. About 30-35% of real compensation from my tech job including stock grants and investments I had access too in the form of 401k with low fees and ESPP was outside of the base salary number. That was not the case for defense. This may/will also happen based on area.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I think anything that makes you look resourceful is good and a chance to do a creative, professional video is a great opportunity.

Alternatively, would you want to work for a company that requires you do a worse job than you can so that you stick to some script?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

sheneedstherapy posted:

The reason I shy away from naming a figure is because the info I have about salaries for that role is for the Silicon Valley location, so it's hard to pin down what it would equate to in Canada in the same role. It's also really, really high; much higher than I'm making now. So my options would be:

1) Be "realistic" and choose something closer to my current salary, potentially either screwing myself out of a lot of money I could have had if I had the balls to ask for it, and/or giving such a low figure that they think this role won't fit into my career progression; or

2) Name a figure closer to the astronomical US salary figures I've seen online; I'll either get it, OR the Canadian equivalent will be significantly lower, and I'll scare them off.

Hence: Negotiable.

My purpose isn't to never tell them my expectations, ever; it's to deflect for now - let's bear in mind that I haven't even had the first interview yet - until a more appropriate stage of the game, at which point I will know more about the position and they are much more invested in me as a candidate. That's the key. Two interviews in, once they've decided that I'm either a strong candidate or THE candidate, they aren't going to be scared away by my naming a dodgy figure; they'll just counteroffer and hope I accept.

It's only my "dream" job based on my outside perception of the role. As I learn more about the company, that could change; I need to be realistic and look out for red flags and not take a job based only on the magical picture I have of it in my mind.

I just moved out of Silicon Valley. Make sure to use various cost of living calculators for the San Jose and San Francisco area. Its EXTREMELY expensive to live in that area. A low six figure income when you're mid 20s might be nice to brag about but when you can live somewhere else in a bigger house, driving a better car, with almost the same take home pay at a ~70k Salary (Space Coast Florida vs Silicon Valley in my case) you understand just how ridiculously expensive that area is. My 400 sq ft apartment w/detached 1 car garage was 1650/month, utilities for this tiny place were around $300/mo. Everything costs more, but you get to live in a beautiful area with a lot of smart people.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Thanks for interviewing me, can't wait for round 2.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

FrozenVent posted:

Seriously, dude. Run like hell.

I'd like to read those posts anyone got a link.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Race Realists posted:

Nervous as hell,

Never had an interview like this before.

Don't be nervous. Given their concerns your competition doesn't seem to be people with Harvard MBAs. It sounds like if you have a degree, dress nicely, be friendly and keep your chill you'll do great.

Obviously keep your answers to how you can help Aaron's help desk. When you tell them about your greatest achievement try using the story format you learned in grade school if story telling isn't your forte. (Character intro->conflict->SUCCESS!) If it is then don't be nervous cause man those are some softball questions.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 17, 2015

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Race Realists posted:

At my Student Assistant "job" I recently encouraged the staff to come up with an online version of their exam sign ups. I guess that's something IT related?

Just be focused on how you're able to fulfill this role and better the company. Seems like a decent job since it has benefits and what not and doesnt require a degree. Still, one of the core functions of the company is repossessing lamps so I bet they find hiring someone like you, who is eager to perform well, a challenge. Let them know youre there to fix that.

"Honey, we didnt pay the lamp rent this month....theyre going to repossess them"

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 17, 2015

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

stickykeys posted:

I keep getting interest from employers saying they've found my CV which includes big corporations, government and police but once I have the telephone interview I'm told they're not going to progress to a face-to-face. I'm not sure whether just to keep applying for jobs or I should work out exactly what I'm doing wrong...

Keep applying, work it out in the mean time.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

stickykeys posted:

I'm just getting a bit worried that at some point agencies will see I've been turned down a lot and won't waste their time putting me forward for jobs.

Agencies? What? I have never had a recruiter do poo poo for me that actually went anywhere. I have one friend (of 25+ I have discussed the topic with) in finance who had a Robert Half recruiter help them land a thing, otherwise they've been utter poo poo.

Recruiters outside of the company youre applying to = travel agents = realtors.

Related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FFG1NqKzCg

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

NancyPants posted:

Did you apply or have they called you for an interview? The "preferred" skills is really just a wishlist; if you don't meet their minimum requirements, they aren't going to interview you. Do you have degrees or certifications in any of those areas, or have they listed the same as requirements?

I wouldnt say they aren't...its just unlikely. I wouldnt discourage people from applying because they have 2 years experience and it says min 3-5, 5-10 preferred.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

stickykeys posted:

Is it ok to apply for job X but when asked where I see my career path going, say I'd like to work in job X for a couple of years at which time I'll have completed some studying at which point I'll move into job Y (which is in the same industry, a role offered by that company but I'm not qualified for)? I thought it was quite reasonable to say this as many people might say they'd like to be a manager in a couple of years time.

Yet a couple of weeks later I was told I wasn't successful and the main reason was because I was more interested in doing job Y.

Am I supposed to say I want to get job X and that'll do me until retirement?

Why would they not hire someone excited for the job at hand? Being a manager is a bit different because (ideally) its a position that you get to by be being good what they hired you for.

NancyPants posted:

I suppose that's true, but if you're going to ignore their posted minimums, wouldn't you only want to do that if you know you'd be a strong candidate because you're well-qualified for the skills they list?

I don't know anything about tech hiring, other than that they will give you skills tests. I don't know what the norm is as far as not meeting requirements.

Yes. Also I agree with your comment about tech hiring. When I got my tech industry job I read the technical bible of the subject they were hiring me for and watched every webinar I could.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 8, 2015

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Raphisonfire posted:

I have an interview tomorrow as a tutor for a primary school class. I am told that I will be tested on my mathematics ability and my writing.

What would the test be composed of? Would it be like an ability test taken for graduate level jobs or something simpler?

How would we know how what the test is composed of? If youre worried find out what books the school uses and make sure you can do the math/writing portions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Study for the job.

Use whatever keywords are in the job description as an indicator of what to study. If you are already a pro at whatever that is, read journal papers on google scholar/google. If you are not well versed on the subject, hit up google and amazon for the best reviewed book on the subject, then buy or torrent it. Often older editions can be had for less than $20. Read the textbook, youll find that bring you up to state of the art. Lastly, see what MIT opencourseware, youtube, Lynda.com, or whatever have to offer.

This has netted me two exceptionally good job offers and regular compliments on my technical ability.

EDIT: I should mention that once I got an actual interview at one place for a job I liked, when I had applied to 30+, I burned the bridges to be an expert at what they needed. I knew who all the exes were and what was going on at that location.

• Locked thread