Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I thought I was out after the last year, but after seeing all that, maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I'm not going to lie these new open themes and add on themes and other poo poo is getting confusing.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Yeah, it can get confusing but just take your time reading through the rules and stuff. If you're not bothered about getting the points and entering the separate competitions like basing, diorama, etc., just post a normal oath exactly like last year, and have fun painting. For anyone who took part last time, the only thing that's changed as far as oathing is adding the company that made the model.

How will the company that made the model be factored in? Will the company that made the mini be making prizes for people who do the most of their stuff or are you looking for a diverse spread of minis or what? Because I'm thinking of oathing my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (with energy weapons) from Darkhorse Miniatures so I'm just curious why the manufacturer matters?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

:siren:I Indolent Bastard, oath 5 Elf Linewomen from Shadow Forge Miniatures.:siren:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 13, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

Most people in the thread could not tell a difference between the two painted, but then after they were told which was which some miraculously found flaws in the Bones one.

Could you link it?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Germ posted:

Oath Complete!

So, these Doom Scythes represent the tail end of my Necron army. I’ve got something close to 3000 points or so by now. I’m usually one of those slow, couple-of-a model-at-a-time kind of painters. The intention of the Necron army was to spend no more time painting it than it took to assemble the models. I think in the end I didn’t quite hit that goal, but I came pretty close. Anyhow, it was fun to try and come up with a simple and effective color scheme that I could paint quickly.

Bonuses: Detektiv's Journal and Part's List
Primed black with Krylon primer
Gold is a couple of coats of Citadel Colour Shining Gold.
Silver is Vallejo Game Color Chainmail Silver
Some blue details are base coated with P3 Trollblood Base
The base was sand, with the crystals made from whittled down plastic sprue. The sand was painted with Delta Ceramcoat Dark Brown.

All of the metals were then washed in a mix of Bombay Mahogany Poly Shades Miniwax Gloss and mineral spirits. It's initially slopped on quite liberally with a bruesh.

Then after it dries a bit, I buff it from the raised bits with a paper towel.

The rest of the blue is base coated in P3 Trollblood Base, then Vallejo Game Color Scurf Green, then drybrushed with successive layers of Scurf Green and Vallejo Game Color Dead White. Crevices cleaned up with a touch of Citadel Asurmen Blue Wash.

On the bases, I glopped on some P3 Bloodstone, and drybrushed with successive layers of Bloodstone mixed with white. The crystals were painted in the same blue as the doom scythe. The edges of the base were painted with Delta Ceramcoat Burnt Umber, and the static grass is GF9 dead grass.

Parts List
Delta Ceramcoat:
Burnt Umber
Dark Brown

P3:
Bloodstone
Trollblood Base

Citadel:
Shining Gold
Asurmen Blue Wash

Vallejo Game Color:
Scurf Green
Chainmail Silver
Dead White

Mini Wax Polyshades:
Bombay Mahaogoney

Mineral Spirits
Black Krylon Primer

This type of info is super useful. krushgroove can we make this a recurring point bonus to inspire people to list their supplies and techniques every month?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

:siren:I Indolent Bastard, oath 5 Elf Linewomen from Shadow Forge Miniatures.:siren:

I'm making an oath addition, :siren:I Indolent Bastard, oath 1 Ariadna Sniper from Corvus Beli (Infinity).:siren:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I can't decide what to do next month!

-4 custom Meganobz made from AT-43 monkeys
-custom Inquisitor in Terminator armor w/psycannon and hammer
-Rifleman dread with forgeworld arms
-Reaper's Faceless Horror

Well I'm no help because I want to see the custom Meganobz.

(We just need some one to want the Faceless Horror and we have a 4 way tie).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

:siren:OATH COMPLETE!:siren: Now with edge highlighting. Which you can barely see on the green, but is quite obvious on the black.

Claiming THEMED GROUP for these gals.

DETEKTUV'S JOURNAL

Fully washed. Hair is super easy if you use a light base, a wash and then re touch the high spots with the base.

Color base coated.

White under coat over the grey primer so I don't go mad painting white by hand.

Claiming PARTS LIST

Golden Fluid Acrylics
Titanium White
Green Gold

Americana
Hauser Light Green
Asphaltum
Lamp Black
Light Avacado

Folk Art
Blue Ink
Raw Sienna

Ceramcoat
Hippo Grey

Vallejo
Dark Flesh
Iraqui Sand
Grey Surface Primer

Citadel
Reikland Fleshshade
Nulin Oil

Other Stuff
Bag of flock I have laying about

THEMED GROUP plus PARTS LIST lets me claim DOUBLE THE FUN

:siren:OATH ADDITION COMPLETE:siren:

Claiming BOX ART for this fellow.

He also qualifies me for the monthly Corvus Belli draw.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 31, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I'm going to have to be a stickler here, I think. The rules for this month's Theme say you have to take at least three in-progress photos of your work. Even broadly interpreting the undercoating in your original oath pic as one, you still have only two in-progress photos here. You'll need to add at least one more in order to qualify. :(

Fair enough, I had 7 or 8 pictures cataloging each step but my camera poo poo the bed and all but the colored basecoat image was corrupted :sigh:. I will assure you that the models were primed grey and that the white base is an additional step, I only included it as I lost all my other images. What I will do is an edge highlight on the boots and armor so that I will use the current COMPLETE images was a WIP and resubmit my OATH COMPLETE with the edge highlights before the deadline tonight.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

A polite reminder to all contestants: please, if at all possible, please check and edit your file sizes on your photos. This makes it easier to browse through them all, and to get them uploaded on the gallery. Using the "timg" tag doesn't help, either! :v:

What dimensions would you prefer?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fix posted:

Battle damage, is it?

All right then, I, Fix, Oath to paint one Ariadnan Para-commando by Corvus Belli

You sick bastard. Let that poor little lady up you big bully.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

:siren:I Indolent Bastard, oath 1 Sergeant Duroc from Corvus Beli (Infinity) and 1 piece of terrain from Hasbro :siren:

The piece of terrain is all bare plastic, it is just multi-part and some parts are different colours. But if it matters I'm only painting the blue part.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 5, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fix posted:

Ghost ride the WIP:

Did your primer skunk? It all looks rough and textured.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

:siren:I Indolent Bastard, oath 1 Sergeant Duroc from Corvus Beli (Infinity) and 1 piece of terrain from Hasbro :siren:

The piece of terrain is all bare plastic, it is just multi-part and some parts are different colours. But if it matters I'm only painting the blue part.

I'm making an oath addition, :siren:I Indolent Bastard, oath 5 Elf Blood Bowl players from Shadow Forge Miniatures.:siren:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fix posted:

Oath Complete!

One injured paratrooper.

I may take better pictures later. I just want this accursed hunk of metal off my desk for now.

That's what you get for playing the wrong faction you filthy xeno.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

Themed Group

Battle Damage
When it came to battle damage I first thought "Oh this will be easy I have loads of orcs to paint, no problem" but then I re-read krushgroove's comments on this month's theme. It was paint battle damage, not just hack at my model with a hobby knife toss on some paint and call it a day, so I really put some thought into what I wanted to do and so I ended up scarring up Duroc. I figured he was a veteran soldier and fond of close combat so he would likely have some scars to show for his efforts. The trouble was how do you scar up fur? I looked for some reference images and found this:

So I laid down a dark brown base for each scar, painted in the middle with red, used Tamiya clear red to add depth, then finished with a devlin mud wash to make them look old. I'm fairly happy with the end result. (I also bought and used snow flock, which really brings the base to life.)

I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01

And the best bit; video of it in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVzEtVUaRVE
I can't believe it came up 20 for the final roll.:rolldice:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 30, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Brock Samsonite posted:

Holy poo poo, glad to see you made it through all that stuff Bionic Psyker. I was beginning to worry, what with it coming done to the line and all. It seems one of our intrepid partners in Painting Far Too Much poo poo is still missing though. Hmm.

Okay, cool thing and all Indolent Bastard, neat. Then I saw it light up. Now I want one. I want to do a Combined Army or an Aleph one. Seriously where did you find a crazy light up thing like that?

http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-44198-Big-Trouble/dp/B000EPFEB6

I found mine at a yard sale. When I opened it to replace the die I cut the speaker wires so that I didn't have a sassy woman saying "Somebody's in BIG Trouble" and then annoying music. You can (sort of) hear it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9FQkln28bM

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 30, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

:siren: I, Indolent Bastard, oath 5 Elf Fantasy Football Players from Shadow Forge Miniatures, 1 Ariadna Chasseur from Corvus Beli (Infinity), and 1 Ork Kopta converted into a Biker/Buggy Boy from Games Workshop :siren:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 5, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

How many kopta-turned-buggys does this make for you now?

Fourth and final. I got the bits quite a while back, but this is the last mono wheel,and hence the last buggy.

I'll take a picture of the whole pack when this one is done.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Conversion complete:

Now to paint it!

(This qualify for the monthly theme correct?)

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 6, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Conversion complete:

Now to paint it!

(This qualify for the monthly theme correct?)

*cough* This qualify for the monthly theme correct? *cough*

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Themed Group

Cut and Swap

Infinity Model

edit: sorry for the lower quality pics my good camera's battery is pooched.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 25, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

:siren:I Indolent Bastard, oath 1 Line Kazak from Corvus Beli (Infinity) and 1 Mega Nob from Games Workshop :siren:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 9, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Re-oath? As far as I can tell, you completed a line kazak in June; your failed July oath was a veteran kazak. If I got that wrong, and this is a failed oath from this year's thread, you can (also) use this as a Savin' da Whales entry.

It is this exact same mini from June http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547161&userid=131812#post416712169

The mini went MIA on bhsman and only returned after a month of travel in the bottom of his backpack. He came back chipped and broken off at the ankles so bhsman stripped it, rehabilitated him and is trying to get him back in the game (you can't keep a good kazak down).

(Sorry to stick my nose in but the mini drama of this formerly missing mini is pretty funny/great).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

:siren:I Indolent Bastard, oath 1 Line Kazak from Corvus Beli (Infinity) and 1 Mega Nob from Games Workshop :siren:

:siren:I Indolent Bastard, am making a small oath addition of 3 Fantasy Football Skeletons from Impact! Miniatures 28mm scale minis:siren:

How small are these buggers? For 28mm minis, pretty drat small! They are like undead grots and I love them.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 12, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Indolent Bastard posted:

:siren:I Indolent Bastard, am making a small oath addition of 3 Fantasy Football Skeletons from Impact! Miniatures 28mm scale minis:siren:

:siren:I Indolent Bastard, am making a smaller oath addition of 2 Fantasy Football Ghouls from Impact! Miniatures 28mm scale minis:siren:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

:siren:I Indolent Bastard, am making a smaller oath addition of 2 Fantasy Football Ghouls from Impact! Miniatures 28mm scale minis:siren:

Have a washed out picture that proves I have completed the Speed painting! bonus.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 20, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Themed Group

An Undead Blood Bowl Team (the team colours are purple and gold).

Weathering

One rusty Mega Nob

Infinity Model

Line Kazak with rocket launcher.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Could you please add the "start" photo to this post, so I have both the start and end photo in the same post/url? I've already credited you for the point.

Done.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

It's time for prizes for August 2013!

There's one more prize to draw! The Warhammer 40k special prize for this month. I will draw that soon, but I needed to check with krushgroove about something first, so stay tuned!

I assume that since in the Bi-Monthly July/August tab I have a value in the Index # column that my 40K model has been accepted?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Slimnoid for his progressive not all white guys marines.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Oh, hmm yeah, tiebreaker. Well I suppose we could just do a runoff vote, but maybe your idea will be more fun!

:black101:Fight to the death!:black101:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

:siren:I Indolent Bastard, oath 1 Dog Warrior from Corvus Beli (Infinity) 5 Fantasy Football Zombies from Impact! Miniatures (28mm scale minis) and 1 Devilman from Reaper Miniatures(28mm scale):siren:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 17, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Themed Group

Five Blood Bowl Zombies (the team colours are purple and gold).

Free hand

One Reaper Devil Dude. (I tried to channel my inner Bachtere for this model. It's nowhere as good as his stuff, but it was enjoyable making a departure from my normal colour pallette.

Infinity Model

One Ariadna Dog Soldier.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 30, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

:siren:I Indolent Bastard, oath 1 1st highlanders S.A.S from Corvus Beli (Infinity) 5 Fantasy Football monsters from Impact! Miniatures (28mm scale minis) and 1 Dragon slaying lady from Reaper Miniatures(28mm scale) 1 Gretchen Banner Bearer from GW (Forgeworld) 28mm:siren:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 6, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

:siren: If there's anyone still waiting on getting their Dragon Forge bases from last year send me a PM. :siren:

Seems a few got missed in a bit of a shuffle over there and just want to make sure everyone's covered.

Heck, I'm still waiting on Tadhg to send out my ork boyz and trukk from the 2011 oath thread. (I'm not upset, just curious what's up).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tadhg posted:

Who's got two thumbs, doesn't own any pink paint, and has a pot of white that dried up because he's to busy to paint regularly and shake that poo poo up?

I'll make this work, somehow...

I did a red wash over silver to give my theme model pink armour as well as her pink cloak. It looks pretty good.

E: On a personal note, can we go back a couple of years to a simpler time, when the oath thread wasn't crammed with people with amazing talent? (Not making GBS threads on people from the old threads, but people are really stepping up their game this year.)

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 31, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Themed Group:

Infinity Entry:

Fly your flag:

Jurnal Entry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

:siren:I Indolent Bastard Oath 5 Impact! Miniatures Fantasy Football players, 1 Reaper(?) Treeman, 1 Games Workshop Meganob, 1 Corvus Beli/Infinity Tank Hunter:siren: Everything is considered 28mm

• Locked thread