Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Looking forward to all the new and improved stuff we'll see this season! But if Sushi's going to tone it back does that mean I should kick it up a notch? I can always bring out judging Hell's Kitchen Style:

"You call that a layer of primer?!? It's like you've put icing on a cake!"

"You're supposed to be dotting the eye's, not the whole alphabet!" :pwn:

"Kit bash? Heavy on the bash I see..."

Hopefully I can clear this table of mid-way projects I've got on the go, so I can do some oaths along side you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Pash posted:

Don't let that stop you. I have a lord riding a half painted horse and 6 High Elf Swordmasters that just need a couple things done. I actually am planning to do that stuff on top of my oath...

If it was just a few guys I'd gladly move on. But I have 30 orks in pieces across my painting station taking up the majority of the space, all because I wasn't happy with how my original yellow looked. Had to break them apart to get it all the right scheme too for some stupid reason. But I've got a ton of ork, marine and Malifaux stuff to keep me well into this year and next! Just need to finish this so I have a clear station!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

My name is thiswayliesmadness and I'm a recovering Oathaholic. But I'm sure just a little taste won't hurt...

I, thiswayliesmadness, oath that I will paint this Brutal Effigy for Malifaux.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Kommando posted:

This has been bugging me for a while now, but what is with the matching talking sandwich avatars?

We had a little too much fun last year, and our art guy made this (who also made Dawn of Awesome): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzXpIAUjh-A

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Wasn't sure what to do for my Brutal Effigy's scheme since my guild's various colours. So went for the box art since it's a good middle ground and a fun challenge since I'll have to do NMM and OSL which I'm not great at. Base colours down and more to go:

And now that I'm not stuck doing non-stop double shifts, 7 days a week, I can finally mail out all that stuff for the previous Oath thread. Should be an interesting trip to the post office! That big one in the back is the 3 Dust Tactics boxes together.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Arlaharen posted:

I'm pretty much speechless right now.

Hot drat that was a sweet prize. I didn't even know P3 had brass rods! Enjoy the goodness!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Oath Completareeno!

The evolution of the Effigy:

Went for the box art and got to try my hand at OSL and some NMM. Both kind of meh, but it works and looks decent on the tabletop. Had to reference the original sketch art instead of the painted model on the blister since was hard to get details on the coffin. See if you can spot all the things they didn't keep from it.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Vondizimo posted:

Your stuff is so incredibly clean and bright, I love it.

Matgash took first place in the oath contest two years ago. He's got crisp and clean highlights down to an art.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I can't decide what to do next month!

-4 custom Meganobz made from AT-43 monkeys
-custom Inquisitor in Terminator armor w/psycannon and hammer
-Rifleman dread with forgeworld arms
-Reaper's Faceless Horror

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Last year I wasn't including pictures past the cut off time because you're getting more time than others did. They might do things different this year, but it's always good to post them just so people can see your final product!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Well since there was a tie on what I should do, I'm just going to do something else! Mostly because I have an idea for battle damage I'd like to try.

For June, I oath these 4 counts as 40k Crusaders.
I'm not sure what they're from originally since they've been out of the package for ages now and weren't some big name to start with. Any help identifying them? The backpacks n' shields are awkward to get in the screen and my points don't matter anyways!

Edit: Ashcans found it for me. Junkers from Urban War by Mammoth.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 3, 2013

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

quote:

:toxx:

And Tadhg has opened the floodgates!

I spent over an hour going through the slideshow last night and still plan on doing two more passes to narrow things down. So much great work it's hard to single out people, but this is going to be another great year by the looks of it!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

It's one thing running this and just looking at all the awesome stuff coming in as you organize it. It's another thing entirely I have learned to choose which stuff is the most awesome, and have much respect for all the hard work I put the 3 judges last year through. But it's a new year, with a new hat for me and it's time for:

No. Wait... I mean:

1 Point: Ledgem

I had to do a bit of googling around to see what an Angelius looks like by default. And I found the default pose pretty meh for such a big thing. However, you mounted it on a fantastic looking ice block and appear to have adapted the tail to drape around it. This changed it from some basic 'come at me' stand off stance, to a perched behemoth about to go after some nibble he spotted.

2 Points: Namenlos

NMM is intimidating to a lot of people, and I remember your great chrome hammer job. But to do that on an entire tank and not have it look like rear end? That takes skill and I'm willing to bet, more than a little patience. A shiny silver chrome star for you!

3 Points: TarDolphinorShark

Plague marines are always a fun conversion since it's usually just adding a fat belly, some guts and sores. You came up with a unique idea, found a way to artistically sculpt it, and took the time to add in extra details within that, such as the eyes. Trying something different and off the wall can backfire, but you got something neat going here and I'm eager to see a full army at the Chaos under the Sea dance.

Bonus Theme Point: Red Shoe

This was really the hardest part this month and why I took so long. EVERYONE did a great job of including all their paints or taking multiple photos of what they did. I went in with the view of "If I wanted to duplicate this paint job, who did the best job of showing all their steps?". Very nearly gave it to A_Bluenoser since each photo was of a tiny amount of paint, a description of what paint and how they did it. Comparing it to Red Shoe's though, he went the extra step to describe modeling issues (like straightening the axe), as well as the thought processes behind why he did certain things like the axe runes.

I won't even bother to give honorable mentions as there are far far too many. The first month of oathing is always great, but this was really an impressive showing. Keep it up everyone!

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 11, 2013

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Can I give BuffaloChicken your creativity points then?

But a creative paintjob...

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

PST posted:

As for doing your own custom decals. Get some printable decal paper (available in laser or ink jet and dry or wet varieties as well as clear & white paper), make up your images in your chosen image software and have fun. Bolter and Chainsword have a bunch of decals for common 40k armies (mostly marines):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/files/category/21-decals/

So many decals but no Malal stuff. Bah!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

Officially Parade'd.

What did you end up doing for your bubble effects? Came out great!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

:orks101: Oath Complete :orks:

Malal Crusaders ho~

And for the damage theme, I drilled some holes had one of the crusaders take some incoming fire.

Still need to throw another layer on the rims, but done for now!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Who made these models, please? Also, you missed a point by not putting your username in your oath complete photo.

I've been lazy with the username since I don't get points anyways! Ashcans found out after I posted my original image that they're Junkers from Urban War by Mammoth.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

And I just finished cutting n' swapping a hand on a model as you posted that. D'oh.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Did you start the cutting today (as in, the 1st of July?)

Don't forget to provide a link to the original box art when you're finished!

I was originally going to oath 2 Paladins and 2 monkeys with flamethrowers but wanted to add something and decided on a Hellrifle/Force sword inquisitor. I got home after Midnight (so the 1st), checked the thread for theme, found a female mad scientist and amputated her bare hand for a sword one, then came back and saw your post. I even have the box it came in right beside me.

And the original:

But if it doesn't count, I have more than enough orky conversions I could toss in my oath! And I just got my new airbrush! :dance:

And either way, I thiswayliesmadness do oath for Month of July:

A Reaper 'Mad Scientist (female)', converted to have a sword

A pair of Games Workshop Paladins

A pair of Cool Mini or Not 'Monkey with Flamethrowers'

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Yeah, I don't want the punishment to be mandatory, we don't want to discourage people after all - you don't want the penance, you'll just be a dishonorable oather :v: and an option to do some creative penance to regain some % of lost points would be nice. And I second the silly hat photo idea.

Edible Silly hats are the best hats!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

:siren: I, Indolent Bastard, oath 5 Elf Fantasy Football Players from Shadow Forge Miniatures, 1 Ariadna Chasseur from Corvus Beli (Infinity), and 1 Ork Kopta converted into a Biker/Buggy Boy from Games Workshop :siren:

How many kopta-turned-buggys does this make for you now?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Time to do my judge-ly duty. GUILTY!!! YOU'RE ALL GUILTY!!!

Wait... I'll get it right one of these months! Points! Yeah! That's the ticket!

1 Point: Chance II

Orkifying is easy and fun. De-orkifying isn't something I can say I've seen very much but you cleaned that junker up quite nicely.

2 Points: Indolent Bastard

The picture doesn't really do justice as to why you got points this month. This on the other hand...

3 Points: Germ

It doesn't really need saying, but these are some really great wreckage markers. All the bits lying around give a good impression of it getting blown to pieces, and being able to make casts to rifle that many out at once was just icing on the cake.

Bonus Theme Point: IrvingWashington

I really like the extent you went to on showing how the battle damage was done. Scratched the hell out of it, busted a leg prone, but breaking the shield was kind of the tipping point. It's a part of the model away from the damaged leg, but it makes sense it would have to be taken out first. Good thinking and good damage.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 7, 2013

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Bachtere posted:

It's judge specific. If I give Oather X 3 or 2 points, I can only give 1 point to Oather X the following month. The other two judges can give Oather X however many points they want the following month (assuming they didn't give them 3/2 points the current month).

Correct! Making it judge specific was how we went last year. Each judge has their own category as well so in theory, there shouldn't be a ton of overlap.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

What's the melta armed dome-marine count as? M-Melta servitor I assume? Can you get a better shot of that Master Blaster guy, n' curious what he's from.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Ugh... I finished my bases last night and poured in the water effects so I could concentrate on finishing the last details on my models. But the seal I wrapped around my bases to keep in the envirotex wasn't tight enough. Going to have to spend most of the night cutting out bits and retouching all the corks I've damaged. This should be a tight one, but I think I can make it!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Oath Compl-Zzzz...

Mumble... Inquisitor. Space Balls joke.

Trying to work on the individual colours for my GK's. I call them Rickenbacker and Von Braun. Hopefully someone gets that one.

Still have some minor highlights and touch ups to do, but fixing that spilled water effects took way too much time.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 31, 2013

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Brock Samsonite posted:

Very nice stuff. I painted a split color army like that once in the folly of my youth, it got old quick. Looking good though!

So if you've got Rickenbacker and Von Braun, why don't you have a big scary green techno-inquisitor?

Many thanks! Black and white are two difficult colours to work with for opposite reasons (highlight/shading) so I knew I'd either have to improve my skills or go [more] mad in the process. Still got a ways to go, but it would help if I stopped leaving everything till the last minute. When I was trying to decide which faction to paint my marines as, I ended up reading about Malal and his 'creatures of the warp killing other warp monsters' and it meshed well with how Grey Knights are in the fluff, so that's really their theme.

I was watching Psychedelic Eyeball's System Shock 2 LP at the point he first encounters the monkeys on board at the same time I was priming my own monkeys so I thought it appropriate to name them that. If I could somehow get my hands on that guy from the center of the tesseract vault, I'd convert it into a Shodan dreadknight in a heart beat though.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I thiswayliesmadness, doth Oath ye olde Aegis Defense Line with Quad Gun and Dreadnought with far too many magnetized arms

Bit more than I usually oath, but I'm pushing my GK to get them done sooner than later.

And the arms are:
-2 TLAC
-DCCW w/storm bolter
-Plasma cannon
-Assault cannon

I have the meltagun arm primed as well but not oathing it. Maybe get it done unofficially.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Holy crap. Can't believe they even came out with the camel for that!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I don't think Sushi's going to approve that. I see more than one colour on that pack of Halls.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Sorry for the lateness but I'll have my judging up tomorrow. Been one of those weeks.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I promised these sooner than this, so many apologies. I've got some goodies coming in sept/oct so I'll see about setting up a little something special. And if I'm lucky, grabbing another sponsor! Was really disappointing going through the thread seeing some amazing projects that never got finished in the end. Save those Whales people!

Let Ye Be Judged!!!

1 point: Bucnasti

I've seen this guy painted up lots, but you really drove the rocky look home. But it's the bits of grass about it and the great shading that I'm tossing you the point for.

2 points: SRM

Lateral thinking earns you points! Cybernetic troops as plague marines works really well creatively for those Iron bros.

3 points: Android

Papa Nurgle loves you so loving much.

Bonus Point: enri

I really love the idea of using a 40k tiny ripper and converting it into an Epic big beastie.

Lots of great work as usual! Really makes it hard to narrow down to a lucky few!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Still have a ton of highlights and other bits to do but I'm calling this Oath Complete for now. I made a major mistake early on when I decided to try and rush the priming by buying a can of spray paint. The wrong kind of spray paint... It ended up giving everything a sticky overly glossy coat that felt like I was trying to paint on wax paper. Really should have just dumped the whole thing in simple green but I had an oath to complete drat it! Got so frustrated I ended up just building up to white from dark grey instead of my usual dark grey> light grey> white method since the GW base paints were holding better. Felt odd doing (minimum) 4 layers of white instead of the build up, but probably saved myself a few extra layers in the end.

Wasn't quite sure how to translate my split scheme into the Aegis line, but I think this worked fairly well!

Let there be dread arms! The autocannons~

The other white (and black) dakka

5th ed. starter style

Plasmatic goodness (from the rear)

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Might be mixing it up with last year since the Infinity blisters were a random draw then?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I want to make an oath this month but I've had half my painting station taken up by 30 orks I was supposed to re-yellow properly for a few months now and I think it's time I nipped that in the bud. Give me a chance to do those highlights I missed last month too and paint the rims on a few odd pieces that slipped through the cracks. Here's hoping I wrap it all up quick and make a real oath!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

40K VOTE: ____Slimnoid___________

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

:siren: It's time I drop in my Judgement as well! :siren:

1 Point: Brock Samsonite

I know how much of a pain it can be to paint black well, but you took a unique approach that looks like it'll really pop on the board.

2 Points: Germ

Those custom maggot bases are disgustingly fantastic and work perfectly with your nurgler.

3 Points: Slimnoid

You not only knocked out a bunch of different models this month, you took the time to put a creative touch on almost every single unit. You've got OSL, weathering, water effects and more going on in there.

Bonus Point: Irving Washington

I really love the ancient worn out vibe you worked on this model. Everything is dark, beat up with an faded aged appearance. Not to mention the extra touch the cobwebs add to it.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I was using Picasa to edit my pictures but seems they've recently cut back some of the features so I'm now unable to resize my images. Anyone recommend something similar to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Well I didn't oath anything last month, but instead got to rifle out a ton of crap I've had half-done:
-30 ork boyz
-Details on Aegis Line
-Details on Dreadnought
-assembled 5 vehicles, another dread, and a bunch of custom bases

So can't say it wasn't productive! But since it's amnesty month, I might as well take advantage and Oath 4 rhinos and a chimera (WH40k models)

If I finish that early enough, I've got a Hoffman crew begging to be finished. Too bad the 2.0 shift made me a bit 'meh' on the game...

• Locked thread