Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

krushgroove posted:

It's not just cool, it's icy hot!

Nah you're fine, it's fine, we're all fine, nothing to see here.

However...

:siren: MORE ANNOUNCEMENTS ABOUT THINGS AND STUFF! :siren:

First up: TIEBREAKERS!
Just in case we have any issues at the end of the oath season (April 2014), here's the sequence of things we'll look at to decide any ties in the points:
First tiebreaker is the number of completed oaths, excluding alternate universe oaths
Second tiebreaker is the total number of points given by the three judges
Third tiebreaker is the number of 1st place judgements
Fourth tiebreaker is Detektuv's Jurnal points
Fifth tiebreaker is the number of 2nd place judgements
Sixth tiebreaker is the number of 3rd place judgements

The idea here is to reward consistency and painting skill, plus doing the monthly themes. The normal way to earn points (up to 10 points each month, plus points from the judges) is the best way to get ahead of everyone else of course, but just in case there are any ties, this is how we're going to resolve them. Announcing this now also prevents us having any additional points being introduced later in the season, and should be pretty interesting at the end :)

Next: LINKS TO JUDGE'S PICKS
The other thing I want to announce is something minor but just cool, I've made another table in the OP (the second post actually) with direct links to each judge's...judgments each month. This is just a nice thing to have so everyone knows what they're up against!

Finally: OATHBREAKER REPENTANCE
We've also worked out how to implement the 'repentance' for past failed oaths, which sadly won't involve making any videos of you dancing your way into bloomers made from pizza, but it'll allow everyone to salvage a little bit just in case they haven't been able to finish an oath. The way this works is: complete a Save Da Whales (re-oath a partially completed oath and finish it) and you'll still be eligible for the consistency bonus that you missed out on by initially failing the oath. For details on this works, look for (or do a Control-F for) 'How to Save Your Failed Oath' and 'End-of-Season Bonuses' in the OP. You can do multiple Save Da Whales to earn your way towards multiple consistency bonuses.

Oh, and: SOMETHING ELSE!
We may be announcing something extra-cool for you extra-cool people...once again, stay tuned!

e: added the details for the Oathbreaker Repentance

i feel like deliberately failing an oath so i can save da whales and get entered into the prize draw now.

then again, :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

I, Germ, hearby oath the following for the month of July:
1 28mm Nomad Morlock from Infinity (Corvus Belli)
5 28 mm wreck markers, built and cast by myself (compatible with a Warhammer 40k Land Raider, Land Speeder, Dreadnought, Drop-pod, and Rhino, respectively).

I wish I had time to paint more Infinity models, (I have a backlog of them) but I've been really busy building the wreck markers. I'm on track to launch a kickstarter for them by the end of the month, and wanted to have some of the master casts painted. Wish me luck! As has been previously established, the wreck markers are terrain.

I'll be claiming this month's Detektiv's Jurnal with the Morlock. I prefer my Morlocks with chain rifles, so I cut off her assault pistol and replaced it with a cut-down Tau pulse-gun-thingee from Games Workshop. I reckon that would also make it a conversion. The pieces pre-conversion with time-stamp are below, followed by a close-up of the model post-swap.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

A WIP of an oath:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Red Shoe posted:

:siren: Additional oath! Croe and 9 Cutthroats, Orin Midwinter, a giant skeleton, gravedigger, ghostly armor, pirate dwarf, and gentleman dwarf. :siren:
Croe's Cutthroats and Orin are Privateer Press, the rest are Reaper.

Here is my entry for the monthly theme:

A closeup of the dwarf in front, with a tragically bent sword.

Replace it with a brand new (and straight) blade...

And now he is a proper Searforge Trader in the Iron Kingdoms, complete with Mechanika weapon.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"

overthefalls posted:

I, overthefalls, oath the following for July 2013:
5x Temple Flameguard, Privateer Press

No alterations. I'll do June 2013 Detektiv's Jurnal of Battle Damage, and it's a themed group. I may do an addition down the road with a conversion.

:wooper: Oath Addition! :wooper:

I, overthefalls, additionally oath 1 Menoth Templar, from Privateer Press, converted from an old metal Menoth Crusader.

Note: The photobucket app for iPhone sucks and I lost my pre-conversion picture. :( I've included the bits that I ripped off of the original model
- The head was taken off and replaced with the plastic Templar head.
- The mace was cut off and replaced with the Templar Flail.
- The left arm was cut off and replaced with the plastic Templar left arm, and the Shield will be attached after painting.

If this can still count, great. It's a little late to go backwards.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

These are the five photos I'm allowed! And wow, this was a fun trip outside my comfort zone: Huge 28mm models, urban basing, and no prescribed color scheme. I tried some NMM chrome on some visors, had (then fixed) a sealer froster disaster, and played with wet-blending skintones and gore.

For bonuses, I can claim:

+Speed Painting:

before

after

+Themed Group: (Warpath Plague)

+The Detektuv’s Jurnal x 13 (I realize it only counts once.)
(The only uncut stock model in the group is the special character.)

e: Oops, also This is an entry to Manifests's conversion contest

moths fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 15, 2013

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:siren:I OATH THESE 12 'ARD BOYZ, CONVERTED FROM GW ORKS AND SOME SPECIAL KROMLECH BITZ:siren:

There's a fair amount of conversioning going on in there (as will be more apparent when they're done), but to be sure I'm honoring the detektiv's jurnal appropriately, here's a textbook job:

I'd also like to claim conversions and themed group on these suckas.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I love these :allears: "Whateva happen, don't go to da dok!"

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

OATH COMPLETE!

Both original and additional.
5x Menoth Flameguard
1x Menoth Templar conversion

Bonuses: Detektiv's Jurnal (Cut and Swap), Conversion, Themed Bonus, Speedpainting (see below), Double the Fun!

Another 4 + Standard and Captain to do (I used one as a painting guide). Yay.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

gently caress yellow. Seriously.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
Can we do an additional oath if we have already completed and posted our monthly oath, or does it need to be made before the monthly one is done?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Germ posted:

I, Germ, hearby oath the following for the month of July:
1 28mm Nomad Morlock from Infinity (Corvus Belli)
5 28 mm wreck markers, built and cast by myself (compatible with a Warhammer 40k Land Raider, Land Speeder, Dreadnought, Drop-pod, and Rhino, respectively).

Monoliths posted:

I OATH THESE 12 'ARD BOYZ, CONVERTED FROM GW ORKS AND SOME SPECIAL KROMLECH BITZ

overthefalls posted:

I, overthefalls, additionally oath 1 Menoth Templar, from Privateer Press, converted from an old metal Menoth Crusader.

Accepted.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

krushgroove posted:

We’ll once again use The Bachtere Clause MkII - Anyone who receives first or second place from a judge will only be eligible for points for third place the next month. An oather may receive bonus points from more than one judge during a month.
Quick question about this: Does it apply to all judges as a group, or separately for each judge? Say someone gets 3 points from judge X, does that mean only judge X is unable to award 3/2 points next month, or does it also apply to judge Y and Z as well?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
:siren: ineptmule oaths one Space Marine Terminator and lots of extra arms for the month of July! :siren:

I also am going to attempt to Save the Whales! (again) on this previous oath...

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010

Ledgem posted:

Oathing for July: Yan lo, Soul Porter, Two ashigaru and Izamu the Armour

Conversion pre-painting shot for yan lo and izamu as well as Detektuv's Jurnal pre-painting shot, cut and swaps being Izamu's arm and one of its flags, most of yan lo, and the ashigaru's spear pointing up instead of down.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Bucnasti posted:

Awwww, it's a baby!

I Bucnasti, first of his name, oath to complete this Reaper Bones Earth Elemental.

OATH COMPLETE

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I can't wait to do mine now. Love what you've done with the static grass there.

When will my delivery notice COOOME!?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Ledgem posted:

Conversion pre-painting shot for yan lo and izamu as well as Detektuv's Jurnal pre-painting shot, cut and swaps being Izamu's arm and one of its flags, most of yan lo, and the ashigaru's spear pointing up instead of down.

Holy poo poo, where are those models from?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ineptmule posted:

Holy poo poo, where are those models from?

Malifaux.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That earth elemental looks fantastic, I really hope I have one in my order!

Deanut Pancer posted:

Quick question about this: Does it apply to all judges as a group, or separately for each judge? Say someone gets 3 points from judge X, does that mean only judge X is unable to award 3/2 points next month, or does it also apply to judge Y and Z as well?

I am actually not sure on this, it was one of the rules that was carried over directly from the last thread....thiswayliesmadness, can you (or Fix, Sole.Sushi or any of the judges from last year) please elaborate how the Bachtere Clause worked?

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
It's judge specific. If I give Oather X 3 or 2 points, I can only give 1 point to Oather X the following month. The other two judges can give Oather X however many points they want the following month (assuming they didn't give them 3/2 points the current month).

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Bachtere posted:

It's judge specific. If I give Oather X 3 or 2 points, I can only give 1 point to Oather X the following month. The other two judges can give Oather X however many points they want the following month (assuming they didn't give them 3/2 points the current month).

Correct! Making it judge specific was how we went last year. Each judge has their own category as well so in theory, there shouldn't be a ton of overlap.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

krushgroove posted:

That earth elemental looks fantastic, I really hope I have one in my order!

It was in the "Forces of Nature" addon, along with a really awesome treeman.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
:pcgaming:OATH COMPLETE!:pcgaming:
I finished up my bonus oath of one 10-man Techno-Plague Marine squad:

More pictures in the painting thread. These guys are a Themed Group.
Also, Backstory time! Claiming this one time bonus.

quote:

The gifts of the gods had already taken their toll.
Brother-Techmarine Malos of the Iron Warriors worked desperately, as brother Hakon writhed on the makeshift operating table. His armor had split up to where his elbow used to be, a writhing bony growth in place of his forearm. The unholy tentacle lashed out, caving in the ribcage of one of the slaves attempting to hold him down. A half dozen slaves and servitors were restraining the traitor Astartes as the creeping corruption crept its way up his arm and broke his armor.

"Clear a path!" bellowed Malos, the vox-grille of his helmet amplifying his already distorted voice.

Serfs cleared as his axe came down on the possessed arm, chopping it clean off the Astartes' genhanced body. It thrashed around on the floor until Malos crushed it under his armored boot. Hakon had been saved from the taint of corruption, and only moments later would he have a fresh bionic limb to replace the one he'd lost. Malos had a long day ahead of him, as eight more similarly afflicted Astartes were waiting in the infirmary...

Also I don't know if I have to quote my original oath complete since these are an addition, but what the hey:

SRM posted:

:pcgaming:OATH COMPLETE!:pcgaming:

Claiming a themed group for them, and their conversions are the weapon swap on the plasma gunner, arm swap on the chainsword guy, and the entire new top half on the third guy.

I finished these awful fast, will probably oath something else once the humidity drops down to a reasonable level.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
:siren: I, Buffalo squeeze, oath for July 8 goblins and 1 terrain piece. From GW :siren:

Detektivs jurnal:

Cut off and swapped around some of the weaponhands to make them a little more unique.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Red Shoe posted:

A closeup of the dwarf in front, with a tragically bent sword.

That's no dwarf! That's just a burly pirate! But nice work.

overthefalls posted:

Note: The photobucket app for iPhone sucks and I lost my pre-conversion picture. :( I've included the bits that I ripped off of the original model
- The head was taken off and replaced with the plastic Templar head.
- The mace was cut off and replaced with the Templar Flail.
- The left arm was cut off and replaced with the plastic Templar left arm, and the Shield will be attached after painting.

If this can still count, great. It's a little late to go backwards.

I need a "before" picture of what an unaltered figure looks like. You can grab it from the internet, any state of painting is OK (but unpainted would be ideal); just something that lets me see clearly that your "after" photo, here, is clearly a conversion. I'll credit you for the monthly theme once that's edited into your Oath Complete post, please post to let me know you've done that. Thanks.

overthefalls posted:

Bonuses: Detektiv's Jurnal (Cut and Swap), Conversion, Themed Bonus, Speedpainting (see below), Double the Fun!

By "themed bonus" I'm going to assume you meant Themed Group, and credit you for that.

Rikthor posted:

Can we do an additional oath if we have already completed and posted our monthly oath, or does it need to be made before the monthly one is done?

Please see the section titled "Oathing Additional Models" in the third post. Basically, yes, you can add models to your current month's oath (complete or incomplete) in "Gotta do this bonus’ style": if you do so, you must finish your new models in order to get credit for completing the current month's oath. This means if you've already been given points for completing the oath, I will take them back until you finish your added models. Alternatively, you can make an "alternate universe style" oath, which earns you no points or judging, but doesn't put your current month's oath at risk, and there's a special prize drawing at the end of the year for goons who completed at least one alt universe style oath.

Ledgem posted:

This image is your "after" conversion image. I am grudgingly accepting your original oath photo as a "before", but honestly it's very poorly lit and hard to see the parts. I can see the greenstuff and obvious signs of the conversion in the after photo, though, so I'm allowing it: but in the future, please try to light your bits with something when you photograph them. Thanks!

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Correct! Making it judge specific was how we went last year. Each judge has their own category as well so in theory, there shouldn't be a ton of overlap.

The judges no longer have different categories to judge on, but otherwise this is right. I've been double-checking for Bachtere Clause violations when I input the judges' points, by the way.

SRM posted:

Also I don't know if I have to quote my original oath complete since these are an addition, but what the hey:

You absolutely do! I only want a single link for "oath complete" in the spreadsheet. So thanks for doing that.

nathonicus
May 2, 2013

Fix posted:

A WIP of an oath:

Badass!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I, Weirdo, oath one Games Workshop 'Arrer Boy for the month of July. I will be attempting the Speed Painting challenge and the Detectuv's Jurnal (Cut and Swap) for this model. For the Cut and Swap I plan to remove the bow and both hands, replacing them with Games workshop ogre hands (punch dagger and sword).

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Weirdo posted:

I, Weirdo, oath one Games Workshop 'Arrer Boy for the month of July.

My orc boy now has a real choppa

zug zug

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:
Hexeris and Cyclops Raider

Hexeris:

Raider:

Detektuvs Jurnal is the Raider:
Overall I like this chop job. It always looks better with paint, and thankfully my sloppy green stuffing isn't too apparent.

Also I'm still playing around with how to take really sharp photos. I tried putting a light from the direct front, and that's improved things a bit. I still feel like some things are out of focus or not lit just right. Or maybe I'm not getting the levels right in photoshop. I'll keep playing around for next month, and any tips are always helpful.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Weirdo posted:

zug zug

That's a pretty cool idea. Might have to steam that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ineptmule posted:

Steam is probably pretty bad for the paint job.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I need a "before" picture of what an unaltered figure looks like. You can grab it from the internet, any state of painting is OK (but unpainted would be ideal); just something that lets me see clearly that your "after" photo, here, is clearly a conversion. I'll credit you for the monthly theme once that's edited into your Oath Complete post, please post to let me know you've done that. Thanks.

Here's a metal unpainted Crusader picture I swiped from eBay. The offending parts are lying in front of mine.

vs

Leperflesh posted:

By "themed bonus" I'm going to assume you meant Themed Group, and credit you for that.

Thanks. I suck. :)

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Leperflesh posted:

That's no dwarf! That's just a burly pirate! But nice work.

Build of a dwarf, height of a human. Truly a mystery of modern times.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Weirdo posted:

zug zug

:woop:OATH COMPLETE

I was inspired by the excellent Dino-riding orcs posted earlier, and went for a colour scheme reminiscent of He-Man action figures or perhaps a Spider-man villain. It's a little mucky in places, and the yellow paint on the base was too watery to make it look like asphalt paint, but I learned a lot!

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
:siren:I, OneTrueBru, oath (another *yawn*) AoBR Ork Deffkopta for the month of July :siren:

I've Cut n' Swapped on some spare big shootaz, albeit rather poorly. Pre-conversion pic below:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ineptmule posted:

I've swapped weapons for a few other orks, here's a WIP of some more 'monkey grip' orcs. I started with just the one, but they were too much fun to make.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
:siren:I, SRM, apparently want to paint more poo poo!:siren:
I am making a Bonus Style oath, which is a Dark Angels Razorback by Games Workshop.

Previous WIPs:

SRM posted:

I, SRM, oath three Ravenwing bikes by Games Workshop for July
I had already cut up a few of these guys to swap arms and weapons before the theme was announced, so to show that I did convert them I included pictures of the unmodded bits in the photo, as a sort of retroactive before and after:

I took Dark Vengeance bikes and did some simple arm/hand swaps to make them less repetitive:

SRM posted:

Gotta Do This Bonus Style! I, SRM, am making an additional Oath!
I am oathing ten counts-as Iron Warriors Plague Marines, made with Games Workshop bits.

And some additional WIP photos for clarity:

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Pash posted:

I, Pash, Oath these 5 Tau Drones from GW for the month of July!

4 are currently gun drones, and the 5th is a shield drone I converted a while ago.

I was stupid this month and started painting a bunch of stuff without making an oath first... guess here are a few more. Will post when I convert a couple of these drones from gun drones to Markerlight drones for the Jurnul.

Detekuv Jurnul:
Coverted 2 of the drones to markerlight drones:

Also the Shield drone in the original photo was originally a gun drone like these 2, so I guess 3 of these are conversions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Oath complete!

That'll net me detektuv's journal for the month for her bolt pistol (which is actually an autopistol, it just looks like a bolt pistol :colbert: ) and pipe.

TheBlobThing posted:

Well, after my shameful oath-breaking I'm back with a more modest oath. I have 3 of the same Necromunda juves, so I'm hacking one of them up to create some variety.

I, TheBlobThing, oath to paint this 1 Necromunda Escher juve from GW!

2 images with and without flash, so you can see both the model and the timestamp.

Edit: On second thought, I edited out the second photo because you can very clearly see the timestamp, and I don't want to clutter up the thread.

• Locked thread