Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
They're the discontinued 5th ed goblin set with metal command parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I, Thundercloud, oath 3 Klingon E5 Battle Corvettes from Mongoose Publishings Starline 2500 line and a Wight King from Games Workshops Vampire Counts range for Fantasy Battle.

Here's to another year of glorious failure!

Screw it, this is like internet dating, go big or go home. I additionally Oath 1 Mongoose Publishing Federation class Dreadnought from the Starline 2500 range. Time to go airbrush crazy.

Approve me Sole sushi, you're my only hope!

Thundercloud fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 6, 2013

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

What's the scale on these space ships?

1/3125. When Mongoose did the Starline 2500 range they upped the scale so you can fit more detail. The old scale of the TFG/ADB ships was 1/3700. There've also been a bunch of scale corrections with the new range.

They're a lot nicer. And now all the production issues are settled, they're bigger, still metal and equivalent or cheaper in some places than the old ranges. I'll be painting a bunch of Klingon and Fed ships initially, then some civilians and then Romulans.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Some sort of honourable mention prize to completed Oathers might be one way to go.

I want to master the airbrush this year, and become both quicker, more organised and technically better. So not a big ask then.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

krushgroove posted:

I love it! We've got historicals up in here!

It should be a requirement to cross-post finished models into everyone's respective threads.

That would mean posting some of my stuff in TVIV though.

Edit - glad to see my big box of stuff got there.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Do we post the paint in a day as soon as it's done, or leave it for the whole oath to be completed?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

krushgroove posted:

All the one-time bonuses, whatever you're qualifying for (group theme, conversion, etc.) or attempting (diorama, etc) should be listed in bold in the same post, with any proof (in this case, the start and finished pics) as your completed picture so Leperflesh can give you the right points.

OK, got the ships to finish, likely be a big post end of the week, but I've got the photos sorted out ready.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Oath Complete!

I've now painted a Federation Dreadnought, 3 Klingon E5 Frigates and a GW Wight King.

On the Wight King I did Speed Painting, Parts List and Box Art.

Start

Finish

Box Art

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1460008a

Games Workshop Wight King Parts List

I partially assembled the model to allow me to airbrush parts of it and to paint hard to reach areas before final assembly. A lot of the base detail and some of the robes/chainmail/skull staff is obscured by the cloak when fully assembled, and the cloak can't be left off unless the body isn't stuck to the scenic base.

If I did this model again I would recommend just fully assembling the drat thing.

VMC = Vallejo Model Colour. VGC = Vallejo Game Colour.

Airbrush - primer - VMC 70950 Black, VGC 72070 Matt Varnish, De-ionised water. Nice smooth hard wearing undercoat.
Cloak - base cost - VGC 28 Dark Green, De-ionised water. Airbrushed on, two thin coats.

While that dried I started on the body.

Robes - basecost - Citadel Base Khorne Red.

Nice deep red colour that can be darkened with a wash and then highlighted.

Armour and Chainmail was basecoated with VGC 72054 Gunmetal with a little VGC 69 glaze medium. Again two thin coats.

On the base, Games Workshop Calthan Brown for the dirt, Citadel Layer Dawnstone on the rocks and the gravestone under the boot. This was washed with Citadel Wash Badab Black on the rocks, gravestone and boot and Citadel Wash Devlan Mud on the dirt. The base was edged with VGC 45 Charred Brown.

Already at this point the model is starting to come together, with only the basecoats for the shield, bronze, fur, bone and some detailing left. At this point my plan is to do all the bone, the inside of the shield and the detailing on the body front, then stick the body together. Both the cloak and the body need a couple of protective coats of varnish before sticking them together.

For bone I use the following process

http://stumpyheaven.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/vc-skeletons-painting-process.html

I start with a base coat of Citadel Khemri Brown, then a Citadel Flesh or Chestnut wash, then three layers of increasingly light colours (medium grey, light grey, white).

However five layers for bone (I think I did eight layers for my warmaster undead, which I think explains why that army didn't get finished) is time consuming, and the for grunt skeletons I'd go airbrush a bone colour, airbrush a wash, drybrush base colour, drybrush highlight.

On the bone I layered VGC 49 Stonewall Grey followed by VGC 47 Wold Grey followed by Citadel Base Ceramite White then a Citadel Sepia wash.

I then went over the Bronze areas in P3 Blighted Gold.

Then came detailing.

The bottle was painted VGC 28 Dark Green, given a wash of Citadel Babab Black, a highlight of P3 Necrotite Green then a wash of Citadel Glaze Waywatcher Green.

The cloak was given a wash of Citadel Wash Badab Black, a highlight drybrush of Citadel Layer Elysian Green and a Wash of Citadel Glaze Waywatcher Green.

Fur on the cloak was Citadel Colour Shadow Grey followed by VGC Wolf Grey.

Detectuvs Jurnal

And the white I got on the dreadnought over a black undercoat from my airbrush before I started oil washing it.

Lessons Learned

Oil Washes, not really brilliant for space ships, though I do think it does look as if the ship has been in a war, which is the effect I was going for.

I suck at putting tiny transfers on hard to reach places on space ships.

I've slightly improved with my airbrush, though I have a very long way to go.

I don't want to paint a Fantasy Battle army any time soon given the sheer number of models involved together with my rampant painting OCD. There's a reason I've collected a few 40k armies based on things that are at least 24 points a model (plague marines, terminators, grey knights).

I'm very impressed with the GW Wight Lord kit.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Question on the theme rules. It says that for models 15mm scale or less you have to do ten to qualify for theme.

I'll be painting some more Klingons. Only a couple of them will be small frigate sized ships, the rest will be cruisers and about 4-5 inches long. Do I have to paint an additional 7 ships to qualify for theme?

I'm thinking of risking my successful oath in order to paint enough Klingon ships to qualify for the theme prize. I've got seven I could start painting, 2 little frigates, 4 cruisers and a dreadnought.

Should I take the chance?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I, Thundercloud. make an additional oath of 7 Klingon ships from the Starline 2500 line from Mongoose Publishing in 1/3125 scale, consisting of a C8 Dreadnought, a FD7 Fast Cruiser, a D6 Heavy Cruiser, a D5W New Heavy Cruiser, a D5 War Cruiser and 2 E4 Frigates.

Oath picture

Scale Picture (this is not an oath picture)

I'm not complaining, but I can see a possible issue if people start oathing Epic scale Titans or a Legionary Dreadnought Talon. On the other hand, that could make it really interesting, as if you Oath a Warlord Titan you would then have to Oath a unit of knights and a unit of tanks with it. It could get very situational. I'll be Oathing some 6mm stuff later in the year and a unit of 10 6mm tanks would be a breeze, whereas 10 15mm tanks would probably be about a third of a FoW army.

Anyway, time to stick flying stand poles in my ships and bust out the masking tape.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

OK, I just want to clarify something. You've already completed your May oath, and I recorded points for it. However, with this addition you're putting your May points in jeopardy: if you fail to complete this oath, I'll have to revoke your completed-oath points. In fact I'll have to remove them immediately, because the absence of an oath complete post at the end of the month is too hard to look for (compared to just recording points when I see a valid oath complete post any time throughout the month).

When you do post your oath complete post, I'll need you to include everything you did this month, including from your previous oath complete post; I will only track one oath complete post per user per month. Doing otherwise screws up my spreadsheet scheme in ways that are surprisingly annoying to fix.

From a strategy point of view it's a much better option to do this as an Alternate Universe oath. I am supposing you don't want to do that because you're trying to complete a full themed group for May, which is fine of course.

And I don't want to pick on just you; but I am using this first example as an opportunity to let everyone know how this works.

Don't worry, I knew I'd be gambling all my Oath completed points doing this. I've just put flying base poles in all the ships and undercoated them using my airbrush, so I'm feeling pretty confident at the moment, but I know this could all end in tears.

I will do another Oath complete post, quoting my first Oath complete post, at the end of the month.

Edit: I need to work on my photo set up. Winter months are particularly bad as I am never at home during daylight. I will take more and better photos. It does look pretty like the box art.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

They look incredible when you have armies of them with well modelled terrain though.

Can I get my Oath addition approved? I want to finish them before the weekend and spend a day cobbling together the best photo set up I can do.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Stripping them would be a good idea anyway, as who knows how many uneven layers of paint there are on a 2nd hand miniature.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Is Sole Sushi ok? There've been a bunch of Oaths waiting to be approved for a couple of days but no approval post.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I'm under the impression one of the other thread regulars lives with you, and they could check if you'd had an 'accident'. Auto-erotic asphyxiation has claimed too many goons already.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

:toot:Bonus Oath Complete!:toot:

Thundercloud posted:

Oath Complete!

I've now painted a Federation Dreadnought, 3 Klingon E5 Frigates and a GW Wight King.

On the Wight King I did Speed Painting, Parts List and Box Art.

Start

Finish

Box Art

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1460008a

Games Workshop Wight King Parts List

I partially assembled the model to allow me to airbrush parts of it and to paint hard to reach areas before final assembly. A lot of the base detail and some of the robes/chainmail/skull staff is obscured by the cloak when fully assembled, and the cloak can't be left off unless the body isn't stuck to the scenic base.

If I did this model again I would recommend just fully assembling the drat thing.

VMC = Vallejo Model Colour. VGC = Vallejo Game Colour.

Airbrush - primer - VMC 70950 Black, VGC 72070 Matt Varnish, De-ionised water. Nice smooth hard wearing undercoat.
Cloak - base cost - VGC 28 Dark Green, De-ionised water. Airbrushed on, two thin coats.

While that dried I started on the body.

Robes - basecost - Citadel Base Khorne Red.

Nice deep red colour that can be darkened with a wash and then highlighted.

Armour and Chainmail was basecoated with VGC 72054 Gunmetal with a little VGC 69 glaze medium. Again two thin coats.

On the base, Games Workshop Calthan Brown for the dirt, Citadel Layer Dawnstone on the rocks and the gravestone under the boot. This was washed with Citadel Wash Badab Black on the rocks, gravestone and boot and Citadel Wash Devlan Mud on the dirt. The base was edged with VGC 45 Charred Brown.

Already at this point the model is starting to come together, with only the basecoats for the shield, bronze, fur, bone and some detailing left. At this point my plan is to do all the bone, the inside of the shield and the detailing on the body front, then stick the body together. Both the cloak and the body need a couple of protective coats of varnish before sticking them together.

For bone I use the following process

http://stumpyheaven.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/vc-skeletons-painting-process.html

I start with a base coat of Citadel Khemri Brown, then a Citadel Flesh or Chestnut wash, then three layers of increasingly light colours (medium grey, light grey, white).

However five layers for bone (I think I did eight layers for my warmaster undead, which I think explains why that army didn't get finished) is time consuming, and the for grunt skeletons I'd go airbrush a bone colour, airbrush a wash, drybrush base colour, drybrush highlight.

On the bone I layered VGC 49 Stonewall Grey followed by VGC 47 Wold Grey followed by Citadel Base Ceramite White then a Citadel Sepia wash.

I then went over the Bronze areas in P3 Blighted Gold.

Then came detailing.

The bottle was painted VGC 28 Dark Green, given a wash of Citadel Babab Black, a highlight of P3 Necrotite Green then a wash of Citadel Glaze Waywatcher Green.

The cloak was given a wash of Citadel Wash Badab Black, a highlight drybrush of Citadel Layer Elysian Green and a Wash of Citadel Glaze Waywatcher Green.

Fur on the cloak was Citadel Colour Shadow Grey followed by VGC Wolf Grey.

Detectuvs Jurnal

And the white I got on the dreadnought over a black undercoat from my airbrush before I started oil washing it.

Lessons Learned

Oil Washes, not really brilliant for space ships, though I do think it does look as if the ship has been in a war, which is the effect I was going for.

I suck at putting tiny transfers on hard to reach places on space ships.

I've slightly improved with my airbrush, though I have a very long way to go.

I don't want to paint a Fantasy Battle army any time soon given the sheer number of models involved together with my rampant painting OCD. There's a reason I've collected a few 40k armies based on things that are at least 24 points a model (plague marines, terminators, grey knights).

I'm very impressed with the GW Wight Lord kit.

But wait, there's more.

Better pictures of the Federation Dreadnought

The additional Klingon ships:

Two E4 Frigates

One FD7 Fast Cruiser

One D6 Heavy Cruiser

One D5 War Cruiser

One D5W New Heavy Cruiser

One C8 Dreadnought

The whole lot together

So I should have from this lot

Detectuvs Jurnal
Parts List
Box Art
Speed Painting
Double the Fun

Not bonus points but to make it easier for judges

Themed Group (Klingon Fleet)
Sub 25mm Oath (all starships are 1/3125 scale)

I'll try and take some more pictures of the Wight King, but I'm already starting to put together my Oath for next month. Expect a complete change of pace to something a lot more ground poundery.

Thundercloud fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 27, 2013

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Can you save the whales for Oaths failed last year?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Hurry up then. It's 10.36 in the UK and some of us have been pootling about for hours.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I have the brands/manufacturers for your models down as "Zvezda" and "Battlefront" but I'm not sure if that's right. Can you confirm?

He's right.

Battlefront do 'official' WWII 15mm scale minis, whereas Zveda are a Russian plastic kit company that launched a 15mm scale board/wargame a couple of years back called Art of Tactic, with the individual boosters being perfect for the FoW gamer and somewhere between 20-40% of the price Battlefront charge with no casting issues.

I sent Krushgroove a couple of Zveda kits in my box o'prizes.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I, Thundercloud, Oath to paint a Deathguard recon squad (Games Workshop sniper scout box with conversions), an Eldar Farseer (Games Workshop, released today), 3 Freighters (Ground Zero Games, somewhere around 1/3800 scale) and 5 Church Rack Frigates from Mongoose Publishing (around 1/3800 as well, just assuming space ship scale)

And a picture of the scouts as they are before the conversions start.

If I do counters, do I have to do the parts as an additional oath?

The Scouts will count for themed group (5 28mm miniatures). If I get the opportunity I will make the ships up to ten as well, but the major project this month will be getting the recon squad done. I will photograph the converting.

Related question, has the quality of my pictures improved to an acceptable level?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Dagon posted:

I, Dagon, oath 15 sprues worth of this mysterious ebayed ruined buildings

Is that 28mm scale?

Is it the Pegasus Gothic ruins or something else?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Anyone know why the thread isn't pinned anymore?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Welcome! Can anyone tell me what scale BFG ships are at? I did a bit of googling and Andy Chambers Himself doesn't seem to know, so maybe if someone has just made an approximation that'd be useful.

Who makes the Hell Dorado miniatures? And are they 28mm scale?

Battlefleet Gothic simply doesn't have a miniature scale. The Cobra Destroyer, which is about an inch long, is meant to be about a mile in length. So they totally count for the small scale stuff.

Helldorado is Cipher Studios and is heroic 28 I believe.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Oath Complete

Well painting 4 different colour schemes is a bloody stupid idea, especially when you only finish one lot before the final weekend.

Original Oath

The scouts pre-conversion

post conversion

Completed Frigates

Completed Freighters

Completed Recon Squad

Completed Farseer

May + June completed Oaths

Detektuvs Journal is the scar tissue on the kneeling recon marine's face. Can you see it? I can't and I bloody sculpted it on there.

So I should have the following

Conversion
Themed Group (Death Guard Legionary Recon Squad)
Detektuvs Journal (will take some pictures Tuesday to make sure everyone can see it).

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I, Thundercloud, Oath 1 Black Reach Nob by Games Workshop in whatever the hell scale GW uses, 12 Mordred class FLAILs, 1 Morgana class FLAIL and 12 Jetbikes from the Heavy Gear Range from Dream Pod 9 in 1/144 scale.

Pre Cut and Swap Nob

Post Cut and Swap Nob, with Power Klaw from the Games Workshop Ork Boyz set.

Should have done this two weeks ago, here's hoping I can do 26 miniatures before the end of the month.

I haven't forgotten about improved pics for my post for last month, but the pics I took today were also terrible. Will try again tomorrow.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Serotonin posted:

Looks like Im going to have an oath failure. IM so hosed off right now.

Project was fnished other than matt varnishing and painting the cockpits. Went to a wargames show this morning, bought a can of Army Painter Matt spray (never used it before) and this happened.

The large gate on the right and the one next to it are covered in the frosting of doom and the paint on the large gate has started to smudge in one area.
I am on holiday next week and its majorly unlikely Im now going to finish my oath becuase of this. So hosed off.

I think the cure for frosting is brush on varnish, but the painting megathread would be the best place to ask.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Well I'm Oath Failed for last month. I oathed too late and the heat and a penchant for falling asleep when I got in from work did for me. I'd completed the Flails and had a little detailing to do last night and I just fell asleep and didn't finish. It will, however, be a very quick Save Da Whales. I'm also going to finally sort out a proper light box this weekend and stop taking such lovely pictures.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Original oath post

I, Pierzak, add to my oath:

- GoGo Marlene + her pet robot (Corvus Belli, Infinity, 28mm)
- 2 security spiderbots (who the gently caress knows)

I think the Spiderbots are GZG.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

[b] I, Thundercloud, having hosed up my Oath last month by oathing too much stuff and giving myself too little time to do it, have decided to double down and Oath twice as much this month.
For the month of August I Oath 1 Chaos Aspiring Champion from Games Workshops WH40k line, 1 Aegis Defence Line from Games Workshops WH40k line, 1 converted Mk III boarding captain from Forgeworlds WH30k line (Cut and Swap), 39 Grel infantry from Dream Pod 9s Heavy Gear range in 1/144 scale, 3 Man-at-Arms Golems, 2 Constable Golems and 1 Marshall Golem from Dream Pod 9s Heavy Gear range in 1/144 scale for a total of a lot of stuff. Ignominy awaits![b]

Unconverted Forgeworld boarding captain. I have removed the hand from the combi weapon, put the combi weapon on the shield hand and added a brass etch Deathguard symbol to one of the shoulder pads, and as it is a GW model, used liquid greenstuff to fill some bubbles and mould slip.

After

Have I got photos and formats ok now, are there any other changes I need to make?

Thundercloud fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 10, 2013

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I'll need an "after" photo for your conversion; you can just take a closeup of the model now, or wait till you're done painting and take a closeup then. Your "before" photo is fine. This is for qualification for the quarterly Manifest's Best Conversion contest.

Otherwise I'll leave it to sole.sushi to approve your oath as usual.

Done. Is the photo quality up to scratch now, as I'm a terrible photographer?

I'll also go back and retake pictures of some of the other stuff I've painted tomorrow and upload it.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

It'll be a race to the finish for me again, I've finished the Grels and just have lenses to do on the Aegis defence line, but I've got eight more minis to finish, with only the Aspiring Champion with base coats at this point.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Well I bit off more than I can chew, again, and will have to declare Oath failed.

I'll be back though dammit. Maybe I should just Oath a single miniature next month. People only oathing one mini don't seem to have these problems.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I thundercloud, having decided on doing a much smaller Oath this month with just three miniatures in it, Oath to paint a converted Death Guard Dreadnought, a vanilla Death Guard Mortis Contemptor Dreadnought, and a heavily converted Deathguard Storm Talon. With only three miniatures all in one scheme, it should be much easier to finish than painted 50+ minis in five different schemes.

Here are close ups of the suspicious Contemptor (bought it in a private sale, looks like a Chinese recast to me) and the converted AoBR dreadnought.

Took the pictures last night, but hopefully they are still good.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I know from your July oath that the Spartan Games stuff is 0.16mm scale, but what scale are the Mongoose Publishing ships?

It's 1/3125 scale.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Signal posted:

If it helps, this is what I'm thinking of doing:

These are nice, where are they from? Might look good with the Deadzone stuff coming next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I, Thundercloud, Oath to totally not fail to paint 5 Space Marine Scouts, from GW in GW scale, and 10 Veer-Myn Nightcrawlers in 28mm scale from Mantic games. And hopefully Save Some Whales later in the month.

The Veer-myn are to get me in the mood for painting the Deadzone kickstarter, which will be giving me a colossal resin and plastic mountain at the end of November, and I've decided to take some of my 40k space marine stuff that isn't suitable for use in 30k and paint it up for the Babab War.

• Locked thread