Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
So loving stoked for this, but I've already packed away my minis painting gear for the big move D: so I might have to miss May, or sneak in a VERY speedpainted one once we've finished.

Unless I can oath my flat, I can do that right? :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Holy balls it's been a long two months, but I nearly finished that flat I oathed(!) But I took no pictures D:

On a more serious note, I've missed two months, so I've got some catching up to do, but I'm looking forward to it. Roll on July.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I can't wait to do mine now. Love what you've done with the static grass there.

When will my delivery notice COOOME!?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

gently caress, I need to get back on the painting horse (there's a painting horse, who knew, I should sell it to a circus or something).

:frogsiren:So, I, thespaceinvader, oath 2 Orc Archers from Wizards of the Coast's Wrath of Ashardalon set for July.:frogsiren:
AP:

No Jurnal as yet, but I might put something together later in the month.

E: Actually, I'll swing for the May journal points, so Suiting Up. I'll aim to post a WIP after priming, after base coating, and after painting before basing. Might pop for some of the one-off points as well, we'll see.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 20, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Drip, drip, here's a WIP (starting suiting up...)

Materials list so far: Plasti-kote grey primer. Citadel Bronzed Flesh (must be 15 years old, still good, like all my old hex pots, including several with outright splits in the lids). Miniature Paints Deep Red (no, I've never heard of the brand either, though my FLGS owner insists they're the same factory as the citadel paints, but use less extender. lovely lids though, I've already had 2 pots dry out and another is closing on it). Citadel Leadbelcher. Citadel Mournfang Brown. Citdel Dark Angels Green.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nother WIP and materials list.

Citadel Snot Green, Citadel Scorpion Green, Miniature Paints Leather Brown, Citadel Bleached Bone, Miniature Paints Black, Citadel Blood Red, Citadel Fire Dragon Bright. Not pictured, Citadel Mithril Silver, because I forgot to put it in the picture...

Just done one-colour highlights for most of it, two colours for the cloth, plus some detail work on the necklaces and the eyes and mouths. Next step is to glom it all with Devlan Mud and Ogryn flesh on the skin, then final detailing to pick out the armour studs and teeth on the necklace, maybe some last highlights, then base and varnish. Should be done with the painting by 1-ish.

E: final WIP after washes, before basing. All that's left to do is glue on the sand (which is drying as I type, and will then get a simple coat of Devlan, for a dungeon-floor base that's quick and easy, I have a lot of these Wizards minis with precast bases attached to do, and I don't want to fuss with them too much), and paint the base rims, which are going to be the same primary colour as the cloth, for easy identification during D&D games. Also pictured: their blue bro, who I painted for last year's thread. Materials: Citadel Devlan Mud, Citadel Ogryn Flesh, B&Q PVA glue (which had gone a bit weird after how long I'd not used it, I hope it's still sticky)and flora margarine a flora margarine tub full of basing sand, which came from my FLDS (Department Store, Boswell's in Oxford, great modelling department), but of which I have no idea of the brand. Still to come, Rust-oleum crystal clear matt spray varnish. And finally, by Her Majesty's Royal Mint, one penny per base as a magnet receptor.

E again: I'm not quite sure why they're so much brighter than their pal; I may have used different washes on him, I don't recall correctly. I might hit the whole mini with another layer of devlan when I wash the base, see how that looks.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 27, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

If your intention is to do the Parts List bonus, I'll need you to include that stuff in your Oath Complete post, please. Likewise if you are using May's theme for a 1-point Detektuv's Jurnal.

I know. I'm mostly noting it here so I remember.

Thanks though - should be posting my completion pic monday I'd've thought.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

:catdrugs: OATH COMPLETE :catdrugs:

Claiming:
Suiting Up
WIP1 WIP2 WIP3 (I've already posted these, so trying to keep size to a minimum.

Also Parts list
Plasti-kote grey primer.
Citadel Bronzed Flesh (must be 15 years old, still good, like all my old hex pots, including several with outright splits in the lids)
Miniature Paints Deep Red (no, I've never heard of the brand either, though my FLGS owner insists they're the same factory as the citadel paints, but use less extender. lovely lids though, I've already had 2 pots dry out and another is closing on it)
Citadel Leadbelcher
Citadel Mournfang Brown
Citdel Dark Angels Green
Citadel Snot Green
Citadel Scorpion Green
Miniature Paints Leather Brown
Citadel Bleached Bone
Miniature Paints Black
Citadel Blood Red
Citadel Fire Dragon Bright
Citadel Mithril Silver
Citadel Devlan Mud
Citadel Ogryn Flesh
B&Q PVA glue (which had gone a bit weird after how long I'd not used it, I hope it's still sticky)
Flora margarine A flora margarine tub full of basing sand, which came from my FLDS (Department Store, Boswell's in Oxford, great modelling department), but of which I have no idea of the brand.
Rust-oleum crystal clear matt spray varnish
And finally, by Her Majesty's Royal Mint, one penny per base as a magnet receptor. And some blu-tac to hold them on.

Brushes: Kolinsky Sable 2 and 0, plus some trashy artists brushes for washing and putting things in the (little-used for this) wet palette.
Homemade wet palette - a plastic tub, some baking paper and kitchen towel.

Hope this satisfies both bits of points.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hey Leperflesh, can I add double the fun to mine, or is it too late (I'm planning on doubling up another month anyway, so I don't really mind if it is).

Thanks

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Sounds like a good excuse for some rusty-rear end weapons for the orcish war party I'm planning. I'll get my AP up shortly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I, thespaceinvader, do hereby oath one Kraash, Storm Shaman, 3 Orc Smashers, 1 Cave Bear from Wrath of Ashardalon by Wizards of the Coast for the month of August.

Claiming a themed group here - the orc war party with their pet cave bear.

The colours are the different coloured plastics the minis are made from. Now they need some scrubbing down and priming.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I just finished my bear, though it's not based yet. That's the easy one down, I'm planning OSL for the shaman. Purple OSL. :ohdear:

Wish me luck.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

krushgroove posted:

:siren: Everyone else who submitted Oath Complete photos :siren:
Please have a look here https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/5910611039869383297?authkey=CLDM1ZCr9LTrjQE and find your photos - if they are not there please post in the thread, PM me or email me to yell at me. I'll be sending this link to the judges in the next day or so, so please have a look quickly!

Sorry this slideshow has taken a while to get together!

I could be being blind, but I don't see mine in there (it's not like I'm expecting to win poo poo from judging anyway with my terrible photos and equally terrible painting, but for equity's sake...)

They're here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547161&userid=174545#post417912248

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Welp, I finished the second of my 5, complete with hideously lovely OSL. It's all good practice, and I can;t be hosed with that mini any more. The rest should be much quicker, as they're a batch of 3 identical minis so I should rocket through them.

Must post some pics, but I'll probably do so post-painting-all-of-them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Is Warmachine really 30mm scale? I've been marking it as 28 all this time...

Is this a 40k miniature, or is it for Warhammer Fantasy?

I don't have before/after photos for this. If you already posted them, I missed it: can you please provide?

40k - the k on Ork implies that. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1620113a is the official one, though I'm pretty sure that's a conversion of an Imperial Guard one.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I think Warmahordes is 28mm the same way GW is, i.e. some of them are about that tall...

I'm more-or-less finished. I need to base the remaining 3 guys then varnish, but I reached the stage of 'gently caress it, Devlan Mud' at this point. Should be finished Wednesday (given time to glue on basing sand, let it dry, wash it, let it dry, then varnish).

Then, boooones motherfucker.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

Claiming the Jurnal for this month - Weathering - in the form of the rusty maces and armour on the 3 grunts, and the rust on the hilt of the shaman's sword. It's a little :effort: but I tried. Also claiming Themed Group for the Orcish war party, shaman, 3 grunts, and their pet cave bear.

Will try to get some better photos later on, but I'm not likely to win any prizes for these, so...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

Claiming the Jurnal for this month - Weathering - in the form of the rusty maces and armour on the 3 grunts, and the rust on the hilt of the shaman's sword. It's a little :effort: but I tried. Also claiming Themed Group for the Orcish war party, shaman, 3 grunts, and their pet cave bear.

Will try to get some better photos later on, but I'm not likely to win any prizes for these, so...

So, I did a lightbox (I still need to get a couple more lamps for proper effect, and probably do some white balancing but again, lovely paint on lovely minis so meh for this month) and captured some more useful photos:

The face is incredibly loving derpy, but the OSL is actually not awful, which is kind of a shock for me.

A closer view on this guy, showing the rust on his mace and armour.

A better groupshot of the three of them, again for the weathering.

Rear view.

Oh, poo poo guys, they turned their pet bear on us (their shiny, shiny bear, matt varnish my rear end; where can I get dullcote in the UK?)

E: and yes, MOULD LINES :spergin:, but with these minis, scraping off the mould lines would actually remove most of the mini...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Wait, are we supposed to include our original oath pics in the completed pic?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Phew.

On a different note, any chance of a sneak preview of next month's theme? I'm prepping and priming the mini I know I'm going to be doing, but I wanna do a few more, and it would be good to get an idea of what is going to work well.

I'm planning to speed-paint the first mini tomorrow, so it would be good to have something to paint for the rest of the month :P

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Schmetterling posted:

After spending far too long trying to find out this wizard's official Reaper name, I learnt that he's a brand new sculpt, just for Bones.

Male High Wizard: http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones%20wizard/latest/77034

Nice work =)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

:siren:I, thespaceinvader do hereby and forthwith oath this Damien, Hellborn Wizard, from Reaper Bones:siren:
Also, announcing my intention to speedpaint a bitch, so to work.

I don't know whether I can get Cut and Swap for swapping out the original built-in base for the Secret Weapon base I've attached instead?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Well, I'm planning to do Cut and Swap some time, so I figure I may as well get it when I get it, and pick up this month's theme with an additional.

On which note, muthafukkin speedpainting beeyatch. :siren:Oath Complete: 1 Damien, Hellborn Wizard, by Reaper Bones:siren:

Claiming Cut and Swap for the base swap and speedpainting for the... having finished. Now. Approximately 6 hours after I started.

I'll pick a mini or two and do an additional oath to get this month's theme, which does sound fun. Now, which of my bones can I do lots of nice freehand on? I mean, there's actually a tonne of room on this one, and some of the example minis on Reaper's site have some neat freehand, but I'm not going to try to do both freehand and speedpainting in one go... E: I'm thinking about doing one of the other Bones wizards that has a big scroll for my second oath this month. I'll have a look at my haul and see. Plus, I may well add a giant or a demon if I'm feeling brave stupid.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 1, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

:siren:I, thespaceinvader do hereby and forthwith oath this Damien, Hellborn Wizard, from Reaper Bones:siren:
Also, announcing my intention to speedpaint a bitch, so to work.

I don't know whether I can get Cut and Swap for swapping out the original built-in base for the Secret Weapon base I've attached instead?

:siren:Gotta do this bonus style: I, thespaceinvader, am making an oath addition: 1 Galladon, male Wizard by Reaper Bones:siren:

Should be able to pick up the freehanding bonus on the scroll there, but I'm also hoping to do a bit more round the hem of his cloak, maybe on his hat too. Alternatively, I might have a punt at box art, and try to copy the scheme on the Reaper site.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bavius posted:

In the middle of buying a house - my inspiration to paint has not struck. Fix wants to see a battlewagon though so I'm gonna have to get on that.

That poo poo'll happen, persevere, it rocks when you get there.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Namenlos posted:

I,Namenlos, oath this rad Sons of Horus banner bearer

Just so I'm clear, I'm going to freehand the banner, can I still oath this for Fly your flag?

I'm reasonably sure the answer to this was no - however, if you freehand, say, an Eye of Horus onto his blank shoulder pad, and still paint the banner, I think you'd be good for both.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Wow; I would have sworn that those reflections were shopped in, but no?

My setup is looking lame now. I was so proud of my lightbox made of cardboard and greaseproof paper D:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I suspected as much. Those lights alone as probably worth more than my entire collection.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

:frogsiren:Additional oath complete:frogsiren:
Claiming: detektiv's jurnal (freehand) for the scroll, front and back, and box art (c.f. reaper's version: http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/galladon/latest/77054#detail/77054_p_1_mj) - mine's not as good and a bit bluer, but I think it'll do the trick.

Do I need to quote my original completion pic or anything?

I'll have some less... dark... pics of both my minis for this month up once the battery's charged on the camera.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Well, I'm planning to do Cut and Swap some time, so I figure I may as well get it when I get it, and pick up this month's theme with an additional.

On which note, muthafukkin speedpainting beeyatch. :siren:Oath Complete: 1 Damien, Hellborn Wizard, by Reaper Bones:siren:

Claiming Cut and Swap for the base swap and speedpainting for the... having finished. Now. Approximately 6 hours after I started.

I'll pick a mini or two and do an additional oath to get this month's theme, which does sound fun. Now, which of my bones can I do lots of nice freehand on? I mean, there's actually a tonne of room on this one, and some of the example minis on Reaper's site have some neat freehand, but I'm not going to try to do both freehand and speedpainting in one go... E: I'm thinking about doing one of the other Bones wizards that has a big scroll for my second oath this month. I'll have a look at my haul and see. Plus, I may well add a giant or a demon if I'm feeling brave stupid.

thespaceinvader posted:

:frogsiren:Additional oath complete:frogsiren:
Claiming: detektiv's jurnal (freehand) for the scroll, front and back, and box art (c.f. reaper's version: http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/galladon/latest/77054#detail/77054_p_1_mj) - mine's not as good and a bit bluer, but I think it'll do the trick.

Do I need to quote my original completion pic or anything?

I'll have some less... dark... pics of both my minis for this month up once the battery's charged on the camera.

Leperflesh: that OK?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Some better pics of this month's minis:

I've still not quite nailed down my camera settings, though this is a LOT better than it used to be. Really shows the flaws too D:

I'm pretty chuffed with the tiefling, though, particularly for a 6-hour speedpaint run. Only one major error really sticks out to me, though there is some rough stuff in there.

Need to find the right manual white balance settings for the camera, and look at fiddling with exposure lengths too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I don't actually have any models to oath for next month because all the other troops have some red on their weapons from an aborted attempt to assembly-line paint them.

It's a good job next month is amnesty month then.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yep, I'm pretty sure it was 'do something for breast cancer awareness (but not boobs)' last year, or words to that effect.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Schmetterling posted:

I also learnt that the slightly translucent Bones material can hide mold lines entirely until you've painted over them. :argh: I didn't notice until I'd already begun shading and highlighting, and by then I didn't know how to fix them without starting entirely from scratch.

Prime first, then clean mold lines. You can paint straight onto bonesium, so it's not a problem to do it in that order. it's a bit odd, but not a problem (IME)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm fairly sure last year it was 'any partially completed models, including Whales', but that may change for this year.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

God loving drat that's good.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hrm, what can I make pink?

Bear with me, I'll be in my bones boxes, I'll be back in an hour or two.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Heck yah.

Still not sure which I'm going for. I'm looking at a couple of the familiars at the moment.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I, thespaceinvader, do hereby oath for October these: Reptus, Winged Serpent, 2x Beetle Swarm, 2x Spider Swarm, all from Reaper Miniatures

Something easy for October as it's already halfway through and I'm not going to be priming today as it's pissing down outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oath Complete: 1 Winged Serpent Familiar, 2 Beetle Swarms, 2 Spider Swarms, all from Reaper Bones

Jurnal is the pink feathers on the winged serpent.

:effort: this month.

• Locked thread