Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Golly that's a nice OP, I can't wait to actually be able to get in for this once Uni is over in May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So just to be sure, if I have a model that's already converted but not painted, would a box art image be acceptable as the "before" photo?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krushgroove posted:

Correct - there was a grace period for people who'd already done conversions but didn't know what the Jurnal theme is for this month, but starting today we have to have a BEFORE and AFTER picture. Even if it just means you've Blu Tac'd the standard arm in place and then you've swapped it with an alternate arm. The intent is that you're using something that makes the original model/kit/set look obviously different. The example above of changing a knife-holding hand to a pistol-holding hand is perfect.

Well, poo poo. I have a crisis suit with a reposed arm and knee/leg that would have been perfect for this all glued up and ready for priming.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Awwww, it's a baby!

I, ijyt, oath two (2) Games Workshop Tau XV25 Stealth Suits.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Am I allowed to post Oath Complete before it's accepted?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krushgroove posted:

You should be fine - once your oath is approved, just check the spreadsheets after a couple of days to make sure you're given the correct points.

Alright, either way the goal of the oath got achieved, finishing a model. :v:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oath Complete!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Nice job!

For the record, and this is for everyone reading, please call out what you did (if anything) for this month's Theme. I am pretty sure I see some weathering or whatever in your photo, so I gave you the points, but I need everyone to do this because A) photographs often don't do justice and B) it's not always obvious to me whether something is part of the model, or something you painted on/differently/whatever.

I didn't mention it because I didn't think the camouflage effect/little tiny bit of mud splatter on the hooves qualified for it, sorry. :shobon:

e: also congrats, all of those lads deserve it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Harkano posted:

'Gotta do this'style Additional oath 1 Stargate and 4 members of SG1 by Phoenix Icons Miniatures.

Ok that's definitely going on my list of terrain that I want, holy poo poo. :stare:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

In preparation for a December oath, just want to clarify some things. I want to oath 5 infantry and a vehicle as part of a themed group, is it ok if the infantry is primed in 1 colour, and the vehicle is unprimed/still on sprue?

I'll be wanting to paint the interior of the vehicle, but I'll be priming that a different colour and painting before construction so I'd have to oath it before it's built (right?).

e:

v Ah right, model specific rather than oath, thanks!

ijyt fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 28, 2013

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hope this photo is ok.

I, ijyt, oath 1x Games Workshop Land Raider Redeemer with Forge World doors, and 5x Games Workshop Assault Terminators with Forge World shoulders and Scibor shields.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Booley posted:

Wait really? I've had it rattling around my bitz box for years.

Yeah, it was a limited edition deal with grey knights, if I recall. Goes for about £30 on eBay.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krushgroove posted:

I'll bring your brushes to Warhammer World Sunday!

I know several people are missing their prizes, some of these are because (I'm guessing) our sponsors are busy (one is just a one-man operation, another is running a busy Kickstarter campaign), anyone else missing theirs is because the items are actually lost in the post or because I haven't been able to send stuff out (this is mostly for Troll Trader and Grab Bag prize winners).

If anyone is missing something and hasn't let me know, please drop me an email at krushgroove169 at gmail!

Pretty much expected, it is the most hectic mailing (and in general) month of the year after all.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

S'cool, you've probably got a lot on your plate. Meanwhile, it's half way through the month and I still have an entire land raider to paint. :negative:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Looks like I'm failing my oath this month, health issues and Christmas prep sapped away all my time.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've also failed my oath, even if I manage to bang out the 5 infantry models, my Land Raider wouldn't be anywhere near complete.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krushgroove posted:

There's still time! Forswear drinking all day tomorrow and PAINT!!

I'd rather not rush them, I'm not really in it for the prizes, just the motivation. :)

I'll probably just save da whales next month.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Just for clarification, Forge World models fall under Games Workshop, correct?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

(I put some Stirland Mud on the base to see if I could use it in lieu of sand, but it ended up being too fine for what I wanted. Problem is, I didn't think that it might be considered as a colour, so if I need to prime it first then I'll oath later in the day instead.)

I, ijyt, oath one (1) Games Workshop Skaven Warp Lightning Cannon and crew.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krushgroove posted:

Nah you're OK

Accepted!

Awesome, time to redeem myself for last month.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Haydrian posted:

Any tips on magnetizing or making the different weapon/support systems swappable?

Yup! 3x2mm neodymium magnets are perfect, so using a pin vise and 3mm drill bit (and maybe a smaller one for a guide hole), drill into the "socket" on the arms and jetpack shoulders to make a slot for a magnet. With the weapon systems snip off the tabs and drill the same hole for the magnet.

I found that most of the time it'll be a very snug fit for the magnet, so when dry fitting it might get stuck in there. If it does, just keep teasing it out with a stack of magnets. Glue 'em in with normal, thin super glue.

All I can say, is check, double check and triple check the polarity of the magnets so that they're all correctly positioned across every suit. Nothing worse than finishing magnetising all your weapons, then finding out your suits repel them on one or both sides.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 5, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Haydrian posted:

I've not tried to magnetize anything that was free to spin, as it were, are the magnets strong enough to hold the guns level in line with the arm? Or would I need to put a locking pin in place to hold them steady?

It's not necessary, but knocks and idle fingers will cause the weapon to point elsewhere . It's not too big a deal for me as the weapons don't actually weigh enough to droop or anything, but if you want your plasma rifles and flamers to not end up backwards on the arm, then a guide pin (or even part of the tab on the weapon) can be used.

I'd let the shoulder weapons rotate though, looks cool aiming two rocket pods at enemy units.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krushgroove posted:

For other prize winners (Troll Trader and Grab Bag prizes, etc.), the issue is frankly my finances - sending out stuff on my own dime/10p is expensive (especially now stuff needs to be sent with insurance and/or signature confirmation so it doesn't let lost like a few packages have done), so a few of you are still waiting for stuff I've got packed and waiting to send out, and I can only apologize profusely for that - I'll try to get in touch with everyone who's affected.

I'm not too bothered, after all it's a free prize.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

KingMob posted:

No true OSL, so no Jurnal for me.

Really? Those reddish white parts totally look glowy.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oath Complete!

This month's jurnal is the glow on the cannon frame from the warpstone, and in the barrel.

It's such a bitch to properly light a model when it has so many shadowy crevices.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Definitely walking away, adds to the whole "Dude, the gently caress? That's my ride."

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Holy poo poo, if you're going to do what I think you are to that diorama, it'll look amazing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I don't think you're allowed to have hazard stripes that straight and even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm guessing you painted yellow then sprayed black? Because I'm not seeing any bleeding.

• Locked thread