Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germ
May 7, 2013

I, Germ, hereby oath that I will paint these two Games Workshop Necron Night Scythes for the month of May. This would be my first oath (heck, my first post on SA) so, 'Awwww, it's a baby'.

The models are primed black and ready to paint! My friend Fix has been talking up SA in general, and the Oath thread in specific, for a while. I'm looking forward to being publicly ridiculed when my "Look ... a squirrel!" mentality causes me to end this year with piles of half-painted models.

Edit... Switched image hosting to imgur

Germ fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

nathonicus posted:

By the end of this thread, I hope to get some of my Covenant of Antarctica models in here. Dystopian Wars is a solid game, and the models are delightful. I'm looking forward to seeing how others paint their ships up.

Cool! I'll do the same with my Blazing Suns. We should try and get a Dystopian Wars day organized in Bellingham to celebrate if we can actually get painted models on the table.

Germ
May 7, 2013

SRM posted:

Oath update, finished the Goliaths for this month:

I've got some goodness planned for their WIP pictures that I'm putting together once I have the time. Next up is those three bikers!

Love them! I'm a big fan (and practitioner) of high contrast shading, and I love to see other folks doing it.

On a side note, my oath is complete, but I reckon that doesn't matter until I get photos uploaded. Soon!

Germ
May 7, 2013

Oath Complete!

So, these Doom Scythes represent the tail end of my Necron army. I’ve got something close to 3000 points or so by now. I’m usually one of those slow, couple-of-a model-at-a-time kind of painters. The intention of the Necron army was to spend no more time painting it than it took to assemble the models. I think in the end I didn’t quite hit that goal, but I came pretty close. Anyhow, it was fun to try and come up with a simple and effective color scheme that I could paint quickly.

Bonuses: Detektiv's Journal and Part's List
Primed black with Krylon primer
Gold is a couple of coats of Citadel Colour Shining Gold.
Silver is Vallejo Game Color Chainmail Silver
Some blue details are base coated with P3 Trollblood Base
The base was sand, with the crystals made from whittled down plastic sprue. The sand was painted with Delta Ceramcoat Dark Brown.

All of the metals were then washed in a mix of Bombay Mahogany Poly Shades Miniwax Gloss and mineral spirits. It's initially slopped on quite liberally with a bruesh.

Then after it dries a bit, I buff it from the raised bits with a paper towel.

The rest of the blue is base coated in P3 Trollblood Base, then Vallejo Game Color Scurf Green, then drybrushed with successive layers of Scurf Green and Vallejo Game Color Dead White. Crevices cleaned up with a touch of Citadel Asurmen Blue Wash.

On the bases, I glopped on some P3 Bloodstone, and drybrushed with successive layers of Bloodstone mixed with white. The crystals were painted in the same blue as the doom scythe. The edges of the base were painted with Delta Ceramcoat Burnt Umber, and the static grass is GF9 dead grass.

Parts List
Delta Ceramcoat:
Burnt Umber
Dark Brown

P3:
Bloodstone
Trollblood Base

Citadel:
Shining Gold
Asurmen Blue Wash

Vallejo Game Color:
Scurf Green
Chainmail Silver
Dead White

Mini Wax Polyshades:
Bombay Mahaogoney

Mineral Spirits
Black Krylon Primer

Germ
May 7, 2013

moths posted:

These are three of the most underrated liquids in miniatures painting, and I applaud your demonstration of their virtue.

How did you come up with Polyshades and mineral spirits? I've been wondering how to thin it since the first skeleton I ruined in a tin of the stuff.

Don't remember where I first saw it, but my first attempts at dipping were fairly ill-fated. The stuff was way too gloppy and thick. Eventually, I read about cleaning Miniwax off of brushes with mineral spirits, so I figured that'd be the thing with witch to thing it. The results aren't the prettiest, but they helped me get an army on the table fast. If you're interested, the rest of the army is here: http://www.ordofanaticus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11408&start=40

Germ
May 7, 2013

Sole.Sushi posted:

3 Points: Germ!

loving hell man, way to start your oathing carrier! It's one thing to go through the trouble to do the golds with that process you went through, which came out looking fantastic, but to pair it up with a mottled, stony turquoise just nails the Necron pseudo-Egyptian theme. It's different, it's great looking; artistically, it speaks volumes, which really blew me away.

Holy poo poo! Thanks a million for the kind words and for the vote of confidence!

I'll be oathing a bit late this month, not because I'm not working on it, but because I have a bit of work to do before I can have an unpainted oathable model to photograph. I may be being a bit ambitious, but I'm going to try scratch-building, molding, and resin casting my models before painting them. Perhaps a bit stupid, but this month's Detektivs Jurnal inspired me.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Gak! Thanks, Fix!

Hmm... seeing those pictures again makes me think that I need a bigger lightbox. An army eventually gets to a size that makes it pretty hard to photograph en masse. I do wish I had known how big the new wraiths were going to be - I modeled my wraiths to be a similar size to the older ones.

Germ
May 7, 2013

OneTrueBru posted:

:confuoot: OneTrueBru, Oath Complete! :krakentoot:

Unfortunately I'm stuck using a borrowed ipad camera again, so these aren't the best photos. I tried using a backdrop but the lack of exposure (or is it aperture?) control meant that everything just got completely washed out, so I just stuck with the low-effort option. I did remember to re-size, at least.

I've missed out on the Jurnal points this time around, as battered wargear would make him look out-of-place next to his squadmates. I briefly considered scuffing up his chainsword, but figured that would be a bit too lazy to count.

Gorgeous painting aside (and it is gorgeous painting - clean, detailed, well executed, YUM! And the subtle head-stubble? *swoon*), the photo is actually fantastic. The miniature is in focus and well-lit. You have nothing to apologize for, and I'm impressed that you got this out of an iPad!

Germ
May 7, 2013

I Germ, being of broken mind and unwholesome intent, do hearby oath to paint these 4 wrecked vehicle markers (which were produced by me, and are vaguely the shape of a Necron Annihilation Barge and are therefore 28mm in scale) for the month of June.

As these are markers/game aids, I'm going to claim I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01
I'm also going to try and count these as Terrain for the end-of-the year terrain draw.
Aww, Hell - does a squadron of 4 wrecked vehicles count as a Themed Group?

How did I make these beasts, you ask?

I started off by tracing the outline I wanted onto MDF, cutting it out with a saw, and rasping the edges to a bevel with a rasp.

Then I piled up the wreckage, carved from plasticard, rocks, bass strings, and epoxy putty. I even carven some pieces of foamed pvc with files to get it to look vaguely similar to some the shapes one might imagine an Egyptian Space Robot might use. Vague representations only, no IP infringement.

I built a mold box out of foam core, and sealed up the edges with sulfur-free modeling clay.

I used TAP Plastics Platinum Silicon mold material. It's a bit pricier than I'd like, but I don't have a vacuum pump (yet!) and this stuff doesn't need degassing. It's fluid enough to lose the bubbles on its own.

I poured the mold. Notice that fin sticking up? gently caress. So did I. After I poured the mold. I wasn't willing to waste the mold material I'd need to get everything up to the level needed to cover the fin. Instead, I opted to cut some keys and smash some Amazing Mold Putty over the fin. In case you weren't aware, Amazing Mold Putty is well... Amazing. It's the yellow blob you'll see in the subsequent pics.

I cut a hole in a box to let the Puttied fin hang down, and poured a cast using TAP Plastics Quik Cast. It's so fast, it doesn't have time for the extra c! I've used several different types of resin (including Smooth-On), and this is the best I've used. It is VERY fluid - again, no need to pressure cast or de-gas, particularly if you dust it with talcum powder first. Perfect for the home caster.

The first cast always has random bits stuck in it.

About 40 minutes later, and I've got 4 more! These are about 4 x 6 inches in area, maybe an inch or two high.

A crappy close-up showing some of the detail.

Germ fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 11, 2013

Germ
May 7, 2013

I say, I do declare .... OATH COMPLETE!

I'm gonna try and claim some bonuses here, so stop me if I overstep things.

As these are markers/game aids, I'm going to claim I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01
I'm hoping that wrecked vehicle markers fit the Detektiv's Jurnal of Battle Damage pretty well.
I'm also claiming Speed Painting, though I probably should have waited for the polyurethane varnish to dry before applying the static grass. Oops.

Stuff I'm not so sure about :
Does this count as Terrain, as well?
Not sure if it's a Themed Group or not.
I'm also not sure if a scratch-build counts as a Conversion or not? In progress shots of the bulid, molding, and casting are in the original post.

Here are some other shots, with Necrons for scale.

And here's a comparison with the non-wrecked vehicle.

Germ
May 7, 2013

The Supreme Court posted:

Thanks for including all the photos and steps, this is bloody interesting and inspiring to see! Really tempted to try it out when I've got time later this year.

No sweat! I reckon the best use of events like this is to get inspiration and motivation from others. I know I'll be stealing... er borrowing plenty of ideas from others. If you have any questions about the casting process at all, let me know. It's a lot easier to get into than most people suspect, and the results can be pretty awesome.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Aw hell, my intent isn't to get undue points. Chalk it up to ignorance about what counts for what. I'm a stupid newbie, after all. These are the markers used for wrecked vehicles in 40k after they get blown up. Size is approximately 4 x 6 inches, ruler is shown on a one inch grid on one of the in progress picks. I took the detektivs journal literately, and went for something representing all-out battle damage.

Whatever you give me points for, I'm fine with! No arguement here. The first three ones I feel fit really well, the others are, as written, questions, not claims or arguements.

Germ
May 7, 2013

krushgroove posted:

Yes, definitely the May Detektuv's Jurnal counts here - while making the terrain is fabulous and it looks great, I can't say it really counts as adding battle damage to a model.

Got it. The jurnal was intended to get folks to PAINT battle damage, not convert/scratch-build it. My bad, I thought I had a clever interpretation of the intent of the challenge. Would the build pics of the model count toward the previous journal, or do they need to be in progress pics of the painting? I'm learning, I'm learning!

By the way, autocorrect hates Ork-speak!

Germ
May 7, 2013

gently caress it, I've never painted battle damage before, and from a wreckage perspective, it makes sense, no? Still time left, so....

COMPLETED OATH REVISED

I say, I do declare .... OATH COMPLETE!

As these are markers/game aids, I'm going to claim either I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01 or Terrain The markers are intended as wreck markers and not stand alone terrain, but I'll take what I can get!
I'm hoping that wrecked vehicle markers fit the Detektiv's Jurnal of Battle Damage pretty well. To add to that, I've painted some scarring on the blue portions of the wreckage, revealing the (no longer) living metal beneath. I know such techniques are part and parcel to ork players, but I've never done it before!
I'm also claiming Speed Painting, though I probably should have waited for the polyurethane varnish to dry before applying the static grass. Oops. Timestamp for finish revised.

Ineptmule, thanks a gazillion for granting me a Themed Group!

OK, I'm going to go play a game where, hopefully, I don't have to use these!

Germ
May 7, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Alright, as of now I've credited you for: A complete oath, with basing, the 2-point June Detektuv's Jurnal, Speed Paint, and a Themed Group.

I have not given credit for I rolled a 6, nor for a conversion.

Perfect, thanks! Sorry to be such a pain!

Germ fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 12, 2013

Germ
May 7, 2013

Holy crap, but those are gorgeous! I can recognize Blight Drone and are those Tervigon bellys? Any way we could get a complete bits list? Really looking forward to seeing these painted!

Germ
May 7, 2013

Fix posted:

You do realize, Android, that unless you start taking better pictures of your finished stuff, we're going to hunt you down and take them ourselves. :toughguy:

Seriously. What's the point of painting like a beast when no one else can see it?

Germ
May 7, 2013

Red Shoe posted:

These fantastic conversions were done by forums member BuffaloChicken. My contributions are the paint and bases.

Sweet mother of pus, those are brilliant! I can taste the rot through my screen. Love, love, love them!

Germ fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 1, 2013

Germ
May 7, 2013

Quick question, sparked by Red Shoe getting I rolled a 6 for his wreck markers - When I did my wreck markers for 40k, y'all didn't give them I rolled a 6 (rather, they were called terain), even though I claimed it over terrain (they are used to replace Annhilation Barges that get blown up rather than stand-alone terrain). I can always make another game-aid to get the points later in the contest, I was just curious as to the distinction between wreck markers for 40k vs Warmachine (or perhaps something else I was missing?)

Leperflesh posted:

My question to you is, what exactly are your wrecked ship thingies? If they're just "rough terrain" you'd put on the board at the start of a fight, I'd call them Terrain. If they're "wrecked vehicle" markers that you put on the board when your stuff gets blown up, I'd call them game aids. If they're somehow dual-purpose, like you could use them for either one, then I think you've been very clever and maybe they're both, but I want to consult with krushgroove before I just plop them into both categories.

Germ posted:

As these are markers/game aids, I'm going to claim either I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01 or Terrain The markers are intended as wreck markers and not stand alone terrain, but I'll take what I can get!

Leperflesh posted:

Alright, as of now I've credited you for: A complete oath, with basing, the 2-point June Detektuv's Jurnal, Speed Paint, and a Themed Group.

I have not given credit for I rolled a 6, nor for a conversion.

As krushgroove said, this is basically making a judgement call and then trying to make that call consistent for everyone, even if in some cases it winds up being kind of splitting hairs.

Germ
May 7, 2013

thiswayliesmadness posted:

It doesn't really need saying, but these are some really great wreckage markers. All the bits lying around give a good impression of it getting blown to pieces, and being able to make casts to rifle that many out at once was just icing on the cake.

Wow, thanks a million!

While I've done a fair bit of casting before, this was the first time I tried anything like the wreckage marker. It actually got me pretty jazzed about doing similar stuff. I've spent the last month or so working on wreck markers for other 40k vehicles. So far, I've made masters for a variety of "Galactic" Marine vehicles (Transport/tank chassis, land speeder, walker, drop pod, and heavy transport), Evil space elves (transport skiff and heavy weapon skimmer), Human Soldiers (Walker and Battle tank/transport chassis). I've got a fair amount of work done for lots of the others, as well. I'd post photos, but my wife's out of town with the camera. Anyhow, I'll hopefully be able to have some available for others at some point in the near future - I was aiming toward starting a Kickstarter by mid-August.

I have an oath selected, but I have to wait till my wife gets back to photograph it. Heck, I can't even start on the conversion work until after she's back, in order to get the proper "before" shot.

Germ
May 7, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

Doesn't have to be right after. Gloss varnish will melt the frost, then revarnish matte. I've never failed to recover frosted minis that way.

This! You live in some gods-forsaken part of the world that feels like a hillbilly's armpit, no? It's usually humidity that frosts. I can tell you plenty of horror stories from living in East/Central Texas. Gloss coat in a reasonable environment, then after it dries, re-coat with matte. Spray it in your air conditioned (but well-ventilated) house if you need to.

Germ
May 7, 2013

moths posted:

I didn't even think to do in in AC, but that should work perfectly since AC works by removing the humidity. I live in PA. We have three minutes in September when the humidity dips below 50%, which is when I guess I'm supposed to spray everything I own.

But thanks everybody, you'll see how they came out soon! (I hope.)

It's going to smell like rear end for days if you do it inside, but it'll work. Good luck!

Germ
May 7, 2013

I, Germ, hearby oath the following for the month of July:
1 28mm Nomad Morlock from Infinity (Corvus Belli)
5 28 mm wreck markers, built and cast by myself (compatible with a Warhammer 40k Land Raider, Land Speeder, Dreadnought, Drop-pod, and Rhino, respectively).

I wish I had time to paint more Infinity models, (I have a backlog of them) but I've been really busy building the wreck markers. I'm on track to launch a kickstarter for them by the end of the month, and wanted to have some of the master casts painted. Wish me luck! As has been previously established, the wreck markers are terrain.

I'll be claiming this month's Detektiv's Jurnal with the Morlock. I prefer my Morlocks with chain rifles, so I cut off her assault pistol and replaced it with a cut-down Tau pulse-gun-thingee from Games Workshop. I reckon that would also make it a conversion. The pieces pre-conversion with time-stamp are below, followed by a close-up of the model post-swap.

Germ
May 7, 2013

:ducksiren: OATH COMPLETE!:ducksiren:

I Finished up this Morlock from Corvus Belli (which included a Cut and Swap, and these wrecked vehicles from Worldsmith Industries (which are definitely Terrain and probably a Themed Group)

So, I've been going a bit crazy with the wrecked vehicles since the last month. I've long wanted to kickstart a resin terrain company, and this has proved just the thing to get me motivated to start things off. If the gods allow, I should be launching a kickstarter for these bad boys starting on or about August 1. Keep an eye out for Worldsmith Industries!

And the Morlock!

Also, I've got a battle photo! This is one of my flying croissants of doom (from my 1st month's oath) bearing down on Fix's Imperial Guard. The guard defending the Aegis Line were about to get mowed down with Tesla to allow the two wraiths to pop over the defense line to eat part of Fix's oath this month (which included an orangutan). Had we had the time to finish the game, I'd have easily rolled him 9 - 0, but alas, we only got in 3 turns and it ended 3-4, in his favor.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Huh. A Themed Group of terrain? Well, if it's alright by ineptmule, I'll allow it!

I was just basing that on the fact that he allowed the last set of wreck markers as a themed group. If not, no worries!

Germ
May 7, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

Here's Mr. Werewolf (who is a PP Hordes model but will be a standin for Avatar Marcus in Malifaux. ]

OK, the model is cool, and the paint job is nice, but this also has to be one of the best counts-as ideas I've heard of for a long time. Some of the Malifaux avatars have struck me as missed opportunities, and this is EXACTLY what I picture Avatar Marcus should be. A huge loving werewolf. Perfect!

Germ
May 7, 2013

@Android - Wonderful painting as usual, but by all that's unholy and vile, please let me teach you to use a lightbox!

@Namenlos - PRETTY! This one's got everything. Tasteful NMM, freehand, and I love the photo background, as well.

@Leperflesh - I'm missing the themed group check for July's oath.

Germ fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 1, 2013

Germ
May 7, 2013

Android posted:

I do have a rudimentary light box I've been using. Although obviously it hasn't been doing me any favors since my wip pictures using my phone are looking better than my final ones. I'll take any tips you can offer.

If you'll be out this Tuesday, try and bring whatever rig you use (camera and lightbox). I'll bring mine and show you some tricks. Because I can't (or don't know how to) adjust the exposure on my little point-and-click, I use a timer, let it take the light reading while one of the lights is off the model, and then add the other light in after the reading has been taken, to essentially over-expose the image. I'm sure there's an easier way (particularly with a nice camera), but it works!

EDIT: Hell, for that matter, do you have a game lined up for Tuesday? I'd love to get one more game in before OFCC, and have never taken my Necrons vs. Orks before.

Germ
May 7, 2013

From my reading of the rules, the display board isn't part of your monthly oath, it's just a seasonal thing, right? If I'm wrong let me know, and I'll post a full oath (that I can always add to later). However, for now I REALLY need to get a display board painted for this weekend. Therefore:

That'd be an unpainted display board. Let me know if I need to oath it official!

Germ
May 7, 2013

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I GET TO PICK, wow how lucky of me!

Is it just one brush from Games and Gear, or is it one of their sets? The only review I could find on google gave them a decent rating, anyone else use and like those brushes? I am leaning towards the brush(es) as I think I am ready to start investing in higher quality brushes, but I honestly know almost nothing about these brushes. Someone help me deiced!

High quality brushes make a WORLD of difference. Very much worth it if you're not already using something nice.

@Leperflesh. Cool! Thanks!

Germ
May 7, 2013

I, Germ, make an oath for the month of August! It's a sad, small oath, much too late in the month to be of any good to anyone. I've been busy with "other stuff" (andthereisstilltimeleftohpleaseifyouplay40khelpmebytakingalookatmykickstarter). But it's the oath I have, and it's probably more oath than I deserve. It may not look like much now, but it's a test model. The start of something glorious. The start of something efflugent. Efflugent and putrescent. Also, gross. It's a Plaguebearer, a 28mm model by Games Workshop.

Praise Nurgle.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Well, it's a small OATH, hardly worth mentioning, but it is ... COMPLETE. Got the test model for the color scheme on my Nurgle CSM/Daemon army done. Had to strip it and start over, but I think it'll work now. I'm considering going back to hit the wounds, pustules, and maggots with some gloss varnish, but I'm not sure. The bases turned out OK, as well - I got a whole slew cast up for the army. My Weathering for the Detektiv's Jurnal entry is the rusted plaguesword. I've never painted rust before, and I've got to say, I'm happy with the effect!

Germ
May 7, 2013

Display board is done. Served me well at the OFCC earlier this month, though it barely fits in my lightbox.

Germ posted:

From my reading of the rules, the display board isn't part of your monthly oath, it's just a seasonal thing, right? If I'm wrong let me know, and I'll post a full oath (that I can always add to later). However, for now I REALLY need to get a display board painted for this weekend. Therefore:

That'd be an unpainted display board. Let me know if I need to oath it official!

And, all finished-like.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Asphyxious posted:

I've said it before but god drat I love your stuff.

Thank you kindly!

Man, I forgot about how inspiring the end-of-the-month-posting-frenzy can be. I want to know how folks do what they do.

Slimnoid - I saw your post about weathering powders over on the 40k thread. Are you using Secret Weapon, or another brand?

Mr. Booger - How'd you do your rust?

Germ
May 7, 2013

Wow! Gimmick or no, that is loving cool. Well done!

Germ
May 7, 2013

I Germ, Oath this Rhino and these 7 Plague Marines for the month of September. All are 28ish mm scale and by Games Workshop and Forge World. The green is some fresh greenstuff maggots I added to a previously primered tank.

Looking forward to getting some actual painting done!

Germ
May 7, 2013

40k Vote

Mr. Irving Washington, for a characterful and unique model

Germ
May 7, 2013

krushgroove posted:

Fly your flag Add and paint a banner, flag, pennant, etc. to your model or its base. Make it relevant to your army/faction!

Question - Is the "Fly your Flag" bonus intended to be a free-hand banner, or can it be a sculpted banner? Specifically, I'm planning on painting some Plague Drones from Games Workshop, and the standard they come with is a stick with pieces of tarnished metal in the shape of a fly hanging from it. Would painting this count for the one-time bonus?

Germ
May 7, 2013

krushgroove posted:

Just remember that claiming the bonus point for Fly Your Flag doesn't give you the 2 points for the Detektuv's Jurnal if you freehand it, per this post.

Cool!No worries about that last bit. I'm not looking to be Flying the Flag now, just planning for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

So very, very loving cool. The Goblin Green base is just a cherry on top. I wish I had the foresight to preserve photographs of my early painting.

• Locked thread