Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Talk about starting the oaths big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

krushgroove posted:

We're working on getting the companies that make the models (such as GW, Reaper, Wyrd, etc.) to supply a modest prize for a random draw that anyone who paints something from them can enter (e.g., paint a PP model, get entered into a prize draw to win something from PP, and so on). If the companies don't respond I'm working on getting prizes in some other fashion, which is why I put a call out for goons to sponsor a prize - which gets them entered into a random draw for a gift certificate I'll provide. Granted, not all model lines can be catered for - we're taking what we get - but I'm working prizes for the 'big name' companies.

You could treat all the random old-school lines that don't fit anywhere else as one big one and have a prize for them collectively.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Leperflesh posted:

Wow! A weekly contest! So uh, how will this work for drawing and stuff? We're going to have to decide something for eligibility that isn't based on people completing oaths. Or, we'll have to wait till the following month and then give away 4 or 5 retroactively? Or something? Anyway I put in a new column for this one, but I can't put in logic for it till we figure this out.

I would think the easiest way to do it would be to give out 4 every month to 4 randomly selected oath completers.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
:siren: I, JoshTheStampede, being of sound mind and body, hereby oath 3 Silurids, from Malifaux by Wyrd Miniatures, for the month of May! :siren:

Do I get to claim Aww a Baby if I have changed my username since the last oath thread? :v:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
"Oathing my Italians" sounds like a euphemism.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

crime fighting hog posted:

Is it too late to get in on this or do I have to wait till next year?

It's not to late (to whip it), and even if you had missed the cutoff for this month (you didn't) you could still jump in next month, or any month for that matter.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
They are in a swimming pool. They're floating in innertubes.

Edit: They're the "summer set": http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=1342

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 11, 2013

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kommando posted:

This has been bugging me for a while now, but what is with the matching talking sandwich avatars?

Those would be broagies.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
My oath models are done but I am waiting for the drat water effects to clear up before I take my pictures. They're technically done now but I don't want to take pictures of swamp monsters standing in bowls of cereal.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TheBlobThing posted:

Say I wanted to oath my new Zuzzy mat, how would that be covered by the rules? Would it count as a piece of large terrain, or should I just keep it out of the oath thread altogether?

How big is it? If it's at least a skirmish sized mat I would assume it's big enough to count.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I never really noticed how much of the P3 range is greens and browns.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

krushgroove posted:

Saw this when I was reading on my phone but forgot to answer it earlier. I would say it definitely meets the minimum size requirement for any scale! I wasn't aware the Zuzzy mats can be painted, but if you wanna go for it, go on and do it.

Yeah, they are plain grey when they show up, you're supposed to paint them.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Does it actually say Dear Mr. Krushgroove?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

SRM posted:

It's also pretty much impossible to completely remove, as I learned during a brutal commission I did a while ago. Krylon's regular spraypaints/primers are perfect though.

Yeah, it's the paint equivalent of plastic glue, chemically bonding with the plastic. It's intended for lawn furniture and poo poo you leave outside, I wouldn't recommend it for minis.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Brock Samsonite posted:

I've had trouble with primer coming off in the past and been painting over Fuzion for awhile. It's generally worked ok, but I can see what you mean about the loss of detail. Would there be any decent spray primers you can recommend me instead? It might just be a lovely batch or something, but the Citadel stuff I had always seemed to come off really easy.

That's because citadel primer isn't really primer, its just paint. Anything that is a regular brand and says primer on the can should work fine. Krylon, Rustoleum, stuff like that. I would avoid generic brands like Valspar.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pierzak posted:

If you're talking about general Bones quality and not that particular mini, a poster on the Reaper forum did exactly that - painted a metal mini and its Bones equivalent in the same color scheme and put up a poll which is the metal one. Opinions were divided.

Most people in the thread could not tell a difference between the two painted, but then after they were told which was which some miraculously found flaws in the Bones one.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Indolent Bastard posted:

Could you link it?

I can't find the thread right now, but it was a mind flayer, in metal and bones, that he painted with the same scheme. The only real hint was the staff was slightly more curved on the Bones one.

Bones is legit not quite as good at detail as metal can be with really really good casts, but Reaper casts are not cutting edge amazing to where it would make a difference.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
God drat son clean your monitor.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

bunnyofdoom posted:

I, Bunnyofdoom, oath that I will assemble, and paint this GW Imperial Guard Sentinel

I shall paint it to be like the rest of my army, in urban camo, with urban rubble on it's base! And possibly brass autocannon casings too

Also, Awwww, it's a baby!, because this is indeed my first time in the oath competition!

Oh God, this really is my first time, and this is for the June Oath I think, so please tell me if I did this right.

Nope, this is for May. You have 13 days. :)

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kommando posted:

Oh yeah. This thread. I guess i better get an entry in and paint some poo poo.

A problem i have is a bunch of my mechs are sourced from other peoples 'im quitting' collections and so are painted like Duplo blocks and need stripping. And this probably violates the no more than one colour primer rule.

But gently caress it, im not chasing points.

Strip and prime them before oathing if you are worried about it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Quantumfate posted:

:ohdear:

Am I too late to make an oath for june? Did I mess up?

You're too late for May. You're too early for June. :)

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
:siren: OATH COMPLETE! :siren:

Not gonna say it's my best work, but it is what it is given the sort of bad sculpts and the difficulty of painting swamp beasts that look sharp or clean. Also they are sort of shiny because they are supposed to be slimy but that makes pictures hard.

Here's my original oath:

quote:

:siren: I, JoshTheStampede, being of sound mind and body, hereby oath 3 Silurids, from Malifaux by Wyrd Miniatures, for the month of May! :siren:

Do I get to claim Aww a Baby if I have changed my username since the last oath thread? :v:

And the Detective's Journal WIP pics:

After the first airbrushed coat of green:

Then after some airbrush highlights, the purples, and a wash or two:

Then after the resin water was poured:

And the final result! Again, sorry for the bad photos, I'll do better next month!

Parts List:

metal Silurid models from Malifaux
Zap-a-Gap super glue
Secret Weapon resin bases - Blasted Wetlands
Rustoleum grey spraycan primer

VGC Cayman Green
VGC Camo Green
GW Athonian Camoshade
Reaper Burgundy Wine
P3 Murderous Magenta
P3 Coal Black
GW Chaos Black
P3 Jack Bone
P3 Menoth White Base
Daler-Rowney FW artist inks - sepia, green, black
Golden flow improver
Liquitex matte medium
Woodland Scenics Realistic Water
Pledge with Future Shine acrylic floor polish
Liquitex matte varnish
Army Painter swamp grass tufts

So that's also Double The Fun!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Commissar Kip posted:

Due to dissertation stuff I'm really struggling with completing my oath. I've finished the 28mm mini but I have about 3 out of 5 shermans left to go. How does this work? Can I do an 'oath complete' on the 28mm mini and a saving the wales on the tanks or do I have to do a saving the wales on my whole oath?

And how does this work with the first time oather bonus? If I save the wales do I lose it?

You fail or complete the whole oath, not model by model. Later on when you save the whales you will include the one you completed with it.

You got the first timer point just for oathing, not for completing, so you won't lose that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Commissar Kip posted:

Ah okay. So, do I save the whales now or do I have to wait till this month is over?

EDIT:
So even for saving them wales I'm on the oathbreaker list? Is there no repentance?

Saving the whales means in a future month you go back and complete an oath you have previously failed. So yes, you fail the oath, get whatever (trivial) consequences or avatars that might come with that, and then redeem yourself later.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That Archangel is really nice.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Namenlos posted:

Oath Complete.

So heres the thing. I've been stuck on a train all evening. I got on at 5.34pm; it's 8.54pm now and I'm not expecting to get home until between 11pm and midnight. So here is my attempt at my oath pic. I'll try and take some better pics when I get home, but I'm not optimistic I'll get them submitted before midnight. Ho hum. I tried so hard on my Oath this month; just lucky I'd taken it to work with me to do some finishing touches over lunch!

I don't think I have ever seen a whole tank done in sky-earth NMM before. It looks really neat, and most importantly passes the "looks right from more than one angle" test that a lot of NMM stuff fails.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
:siren: I, JoshTheStampede, oath for the month of June: Pandora, Baby Kade, the Doppleganger, and 3 Sorrows :siren:

These are produced by Wyrd for Malifaux, and form a Themed Group!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Sole.Sushi posted:

All fine oaths: all accepted; all destined for the blade. :esse:

Thank you for pointing that out; trust me, if I miss you it's not because I disapproved an oath. Which means, you can get started, because your poo poo's been accepted!

You also missed me.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Deanut Pancer posted:

What's this :toxx: thing that people have suddenly started using? I wasn't around for last year's thread, so I don't know if it is a :thing: from there or what...

It's an SA thing, not an oath thread thing. Basically it's making a bet that you back up with your forums account. If you toxx yourself and fail to follow through you get a ban.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Swags posted:

I'm planning on how to do this, and I have to say I'm actually excited. I've never done battle damage before, and all the pictures of the Mogats on the Infinity site are of them in clean and shiny new battle armor, but I think having it dinged up will work nicely.

Question, though, does every model have to have battle damage? My CA dudes and my robots it'd be okay, but I'm stumped if I have to put it on the Waidgeists, too.

You only have to do the monthly theme on one model. But you're encouraged to do it on as many as you want.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
:siren: OATH COMPLETE :siren:

I'm still a terrible photographer so these look like crap but in person I am actually really proud of them. Stepped outside my comfort zone a lot on color choices in some places, didn't gently caress up the faces, etc. I need a better camera though like whoa.

Here's the group shot! This is a themed group from Malifaux - Pandora, Baby Kade, Doppleganger, and 3 Sorrows:

Here's Pandora herself:

The Doppleganger, definitely the hardest to photo because of the fair skin and white sheet:

Baby Kade is my Kaptains Log - his teddy is missing a leg so I added some stuffing wounds:

The sorrows:

So that's a completed oath, with Kaptains Log and Themed Group

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bavius posted:

This is how far I got.

You may have failed your oath but that is a drat nice red.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I, JoshTheStampede, oath for July:

One Teddy (Malifaux, Wyrd Miniatures) and one Feral Warpwolf (Hordes, Privateer Press, although I plan to use it as a Malifaux proxy)

The teddy is primed white, the wolf is basecoated in brown - that's still ok, right? It's just a single color on each model.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

moths posted:

God loving damnit, I just sealed most of my oath and frosted the fuckers.

I got to it with a better sealer right after, so maybe that fixed it?

Fuuuuck.

Doesn't have to be right after. Gloss varnish will melt the frost, then revarnish matte. I've never failed to recover frosted minis that way.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

moths posted:

That's good to know. Will brush-on gloss do the trick, or should I use spray?

So far the satin varnish I used seems to be mitigating the damage pretty well. I still have a few frosty assault rifles, but I was able to save the mecha suits and most of the regular dudes, and the ones I didn't especially like got the worst of it.

I usually use spray or airbrush but I don't see why brush on wouldn't work just as well. Basically you're just melting the frosted stuff.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The opposite - too little humidity - can also cause frosting, as the varnish dries before it hits the model.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

moths posted:

I didn't even think to do in in AC, but that should work perfectly since AC works by removing the humidity. I live in PA. We have three minutes in September when the humidity dips below 50%, which is when I guess I'm supposed to spray everything I own.

But thanks everybody, you'll see how they came out soon! (I hope.)

I live in DC, which is just as bad, and guess-free priming is like 90% of why I bought an airbrush.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

krushgroove posted:

That earth elemental looks fantastic, I really hope I have one in my order!

It was in the "Forces of Nature" addon, along with a really awesome treeman.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ineptmule posted:

That's a pretty cool idea. Might have to steam that.

Steam is probably pretty bad for the paint job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Thundercloud posted:

I think the cure for frosting is brush on varnish, but the painting megathread would be the best place to ask.

Doesn't have to be brush on. Any gloss will fix the frosting and then you can re-matte after that is dry.

• Locked thread