Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I, Iris of Ether, oath that I will paint this random elf warrior for the month of May. Awwww, it's a baby!

I think this model is from a dead company named Adiken? Honestly I have no idea anymore. It's been sitting in my humanoids box for at least 5 years now, and I only bought it because I had an interesting idea on how to paint the sword.

Edit: Adiken? Ironwind Metals? I have no clue.

Edit 2: Ironwind Metals, thanks Dr. Phildo!

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Leperflesh posted:

Hey, that's a pretty rare miniature you've got there.
Apparently, Adiken made counterfeit minis and got caught.

If you can recognize the name, it'd be cool of you to put a photo up on this page, although be sure to read up on how Lost Minis wants photos named, sized, and placed (I can do it for you if you just send me a photo).

Hmm. I do have some Adiken sculpts I picked up at a con (AF30's unpainted, but AF-023 I painted as a statue for terrain), but I'm not sure anymore that this is one. Maybe it's Ironwind Metals? I did a lot of random purchasing at cons. :)

Edit: VVVV Awesome, thanks!

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 14, 2013

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Leperflesh posted:

What company made these two figures, please?

The dwarf is Stonehaven, from their Dwarf Adventurers Kickstarter. I have that set, too, and it was pretty fun to paint.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Oath Complete! This is also a successful Awwww, a BABY!

We're big King's Field fans here, so I bought this model as an excuse to paint a Moonlight Sword. The rest of the color scheme followed from there.

Detektuv’s Jurnal: May

Fun fact: I reused these pictures to write a short 'how to' for some of my friends. They bought into the Reaper Bones Kickstarter and are starting to get nervous over just how many minis they'll need to paint.

And on that note, now to move onto the remaining several hundred solo figs I have in storage somewhere. :gonk:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

nathonicus posted:

A bunch of us live in mixed fear/anticipation of the bones kickstarter arriving.

Nice work on that reaper fig! Have you compared paining Bones to reaper's Pewter version of the same fig?

Thanks! The fig in question is actually Ironwind, but I have tried painting 3 Bones figs before now: a purple worm, a gnoll, and a ghost. I'm pretty pleased with the 2 larger figures. The ghost is okay, but honestly, I think I might not really like the sculpt itself, rather than how it transfers to plastic. I'm still optimistic for the Kickstarter.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I was wondering - would a group of zombies be obviously themed enough to qualify for Themed Group, even if they were all dressed differently? My Zombicide bonus minis arrived 1-2 weeks back, and I was thinking about doing 5+ of the undead heroes as an entry next month.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I'm making an Alternate Universe additional oath with some 12-year-old Woodland Scenics trees I've had laying around:

These are meant to be used with my 28mm scale figures - I'm slowly building up a bunch of homemade dungeon tiles. Also, the base is multi-colored because it's raw sand, bark, and wood. It won't be staying that color.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Leperflesh posted:

Is this terrain? Or are you making bases that you'll later add miniatures to?

It's just terrain, with the side benefit of letting me experiment some more with fake water. I might do this sort of thing as a base in the future, but not now.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I, Iris of Ether, oath to paint this squad of undead action heroes from CoolMiniOrNot:

These are from the 28mm Zombicide board game. From left to right, it's the undead versions of 'El Cholo', 'Claudia', 'Marvin', 'Chaz', and 'Nick'.

(Also, it's just one color of primer and nothing else. My primer really doesn't like to get into the cracks on this drat plastic. Even cleaned the models, too.)

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 1, 2013

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I'll get a better picture of this guy when I complete my pledge (the dark color scheme is not playing nicely with my low ambient lighting right now), but I think I just accidentally speed-painted this guy:

I love painting zombies. :D

While I'm here, could I also get a rules clarification? I'd like to get the point for basing this month, so would adding just a single figure to my pledge (assuming I put effort into the base) be enough to qualify? As my original pledge is all board game pieces, I'm purposely painting the bases as solid colors to make them easier to ID on the board.

If it's expected to base my entire pledge (instead of just one fig), then I'll just deal with losing the point for June.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

krushgroove posted:

To add to what Leperflesh posted as his reply, I would say that if you paint all the bases of the figures you've got there in whatever color you like, that's good enough for the basing point, you don't need to do glue/sand/paint/flock to just one (and the way we've got the rules set up right now is that yes you should do all the bases for an oath to get the point). These sorts of things are going to come up with the variety of new board game models we've got so we appreciate you asking before going through with your plan to base just one guy.

Great, thanks!

The flow of the game has each player controlling only 1-2 heroes, with all the zombies (up to ~100 in my case) being controlled mechanistically after a round of player turns, so it's convenient to have the hero characters 'pop' in some way that doesn't require visually hunting for a single sculpt on the board every single round. Board games can drag enough as it is. :) Plus, the character sheets are color coded to match the original plastic color, so that's convenient.

As for what the community's doing, it doesn't look like there's any single convention, judging from the pictures on Board Game Geek. Some added extremely fancy bases, some painted them solids like me, and some just play the game unpainted out of the box.

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 2, 2013

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
:zombie: Oath Complete! :zombie:

Good lord this was impossible to photograph.

I imagine this is what The Expendables 8 will look like once the industry discovers necromantic resuscitation.

Battle Damage (June Detectuv’s Jurnal)

The zombies are absolutely covered in gore. I read the tutorial on 'less is more', thought about it for a bit, then threw it out the window. Bullet wounds and cuts seemed like obvious places to spatter and leak blood, with hands and mouths perhaps less so.

Speed Painting

I zoomed through painting the Marvin figure. (He is perhaps better known as Mr. Change-the-sculpt-before-Miramax-sues-us.)

Before:

After:

Parts list
I made sure to note the paint I was using on the aforementioned Marvin figure. All paints mentioned are Reaper Master Series Colors:
  • Brush-on Primer, white color
  • Flow Improver (thin your goddamn paints)
  • Ghoul Skin (base skin tone)
  • Moldy Skin (skin highlights)
  • Woodstain Brown (hair)
  • Earth Brown (suit)
  • Driftwood Brown (suit highlights)
  • Amber Gold (suit shirt)
  • Golden Blonde (highlights and glowy eyes)
  • Carnage Red (BLOOD)
  • Blood Red (WE NEED MORE BLOOD)
  • Entrail Pink, HD line (mouth, rib cavity)
  • Pure White (ribs)
  • Pure Black (gun basecoat, shoes)
  • Honed Steel (gun)
  • Shadowed Stone (shoe highlights)
  • Black Ink (shadowing)
  • Sapphire Blue (base cleanup)

Box Art

The paint job matches reasonably well (though I took some liberties on the blood spattering), and the base colors match up with each character sheet for easier visual ID during play.

Double the fun!

I needed to stop myself so that I could save some challenges for future months. :)

Edit: I knew I forgot something. This is a Themed Group.

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 18, 2013

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Fantastic. I wish these minis were a larger scale, though - I have a lot of sewer terrain that needs that extra something.

quote:

having painted the smallest turtle on the forum

:colbert:

(I think it's 5mm, though, so you still beat me. That's insanely small!)

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

That's going in the inspiration pics folder. What'd you use for the slime?

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I, Iris of Ether, oath (1) Forest Troll from C-P Models and (1) sloshed Trollkin Troll Whelp from Privateer Press. Both models are 28mm scale.

Below is the picture I took prior to lopping off his bone club, separating his arm from his side, moving it into drinking position, and dremeling the poo poo out of everything. I'm going to paint the comedy-size tankard nee Hirst Arts bucket separately, then attach it on at the end.

I need to buy a jeweler's saw one of these days.

krushgroove posted:

OK, I'm going to go with "if you've already converted your model, find a picture of it before conversion, provide a link or post the pictures and you're all good". So you guys are good, provided you can show the before picture and provide it in your Oath post.

Thank you so much. I started converting my model yesterday night (after midnight GMT) but before actually oathing myself. I wanted to wait until the Jurnal was posted, just in case another of my themed groups would have suited it better. Opening the thread this morning was the biggest :saddowns: until I got to the clarifications.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Leperflesh posted:

Quite a few of you have posted good before/after photos of your conversions. Rather than reply to every single one that I have "approved of" (not in the respect that sole.sushi approves an oath, but only in the respect that I agree you've met the requirements for documenting your conversion), please check the July 2013 tab of the spreadsheet. If you have URLs in both the blue "Conversion Before" column and the "Conversion After" column, and a 'y' in the orange "Conversion" column, then you're good.

If you don't, then either I missed something you intended to indicate was a conversion, or there was a problem of some kind.

I'm in the spreadsheet, though I notice my intended 'after' picture is listed as 'before', my 'before' isn't listed, and I don't have an 'after' picture yet. Is this going to be okay? To make it clearer, I've already cut off the bone club, and cut and bent the arm upward. The tankard/bucket sitting on the ground in my 'after' shot will get glued on, painted, during my last step. I'd take another picture, but he's already half painted!

My original post landed after you okayed the first few folks to go through without timestamps on their 'before' pictures, but before you required it for later posters, so I seem to be in a limbo here.

Deanut Pancer posted:

No two adjacent panels may have the same colour

In a flat 2D plane, this typically means 4 colors. Godspeed. :patriot:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Iris of Ether posted:

I, Iris of Ether, oath (1) Forest Troll from C-P Models and (1) sloshed Trollkin Troll Whelp from Privateer Press. Both models are 28mm scale.

Below is the picture I took prior to lopping off his bone club, separating his arm from his side, moving it into drinking position, and dremeling the poo poo out of everything. I'm going to paint the comedy-size tankard nee Hirst Arts bucket separately, then attach it on at the end.

I need to buy a jeweler's saw one of these days.

I, Iris of Ether, am making an oath addition! I pledge (1) Bartender, (1) Wench with Mugs, and (1) Strumpet from Reaper's Bones line. All models are 28mm scale.

Time for my minis to get their drink on.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Oath Complete!

Detektuv's Jurnal (July)

Besides cutting and re-positioning his arm away from his body, I cut off the club from the troll's hand, attached a bucket to it, and sculpted a handle onto the bucket. Big trolls need big drinks!

Strike a Pose

Meet Brunk.

Brunk routinely makes poor life decisions. Here we observe Brunk in his natural habitat.

Brunk should be returning home to share his turnip-stand earnings with his wife. Brunk has chosen not to do this.

Brunk has chosen instead to relive his schooltroll days.

Brunk figures Brunk will probably regret this in the morning, but Brunk's inebriation has saved him that trouble for now.

Brunk has discovered that high-class harlots cost far more than a turnip dealer makes in a week. And this is why Brunk is now visiting his local high-risk loan-dragon.

Why do you make so many poor decisions, Brunk?

Edit: This is a themed group.

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 31, 2013

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I, Iris of Ether, oath (12) kobold raiders and (1) iron golem. All are 28mm Reaper.

I may convert some of the little guys, but no guarantees yet.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Iris of Ether posted:

I, Iris of Ether, oath (12) kobold raiders and (1) iron golem. All are 28mm Reaper.

I may convert some of the little guys, but no guarantees yet.

So. Kobolds. Fun to convert, or the most fun to convert? :3:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Schmetterling posted:

I'm bringing some Bones kobolds with me to try to get my brothers to have a go at painting. :3:

Not a bad choice for a first mini, especially with steady hands. I've been painting mine this month (for my Oath, actually), and they don't really require a very complicated color scheme.

Also, I know other goons have discovered this, but that Bones plastic cuts amazingly easily with a sharp knife, if you're in the mood to do modding or weapon swaps.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Oath Complete

Detektuv’s Jurnal

The entire iron golem has been weathered with a layer of rust. I hit the metal scrap on the base with it as well.

This is my diorama entry. I would like to claim a diorama on the kobold-a-pult. Here's my pre-painting picture for that:

It's wood scrap, plastic sprue scrap, a half a cork, some greenstuff, some random toothpicks & nails, etc etc. I feel the randomness suits the subject matter.

In Battle

It turns out the rusted old sword guardian was not quite as inactive as the tribe had hoped.

This is a conversion project. Holy cow, were these guys fun to modify. Some examples below:

Finally, the kobolds are also a Themed Group.

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 30, 2013

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I'm thinking of oathing a 2-horse chariot plus 2 additional miniatures. My plan is to have the chariot and both horses on their own separate bases (so, in 3 pieces), because I find it's convenient to have a few extra horse minis around for RPGs. In other words, my miniature count will be like this:
  • Horse 1
  • Horse 2
  • Horseless chariot
  • Foot soldier 1
  • Foot soldier 2

Is this kosher for the purposes of a themed group?

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I, Iris of Ether, oath (2) Orc Marauders, (2) Orc Snipers, (1) Kavorgh, Orc Warboss, and a dice tray. Miniatures are Reaper Bones, 28mm. Tray is assembled from Hirst Arts plaster-cast tiles and some polymer clay.

I think I'll save my chariot for another month. I need to go hunting for some extra wood & bases first.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Bachtere posted:

Detektuv's Jurnal Bonus, Weathering, 1 Point: Iris of Ether

The overall weathering on the figure is effective. I dig the bleeding of the rust into the ground around the various bits of junk on the ground, that really popped out at me.

:neckbeard: Thanks!

I admit I was concerned about being more precise with the drybrushing until I realized that real iron bits would be flaking and dripping oxide everywhere.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I was using Picasa to edit my pictures but seems they've recently cut back some of the features so I'm now unable to resize my images. Anyone recommend something similar to use?

Irfanview is free and has batch rename/resize features. It's pretty useful.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Oath Complete! It's orc time.

I finally got ahold of some Citadel Washes for this. It's probably the first time I've actually liked the color of my orcs.

Detektuv’s Jurnal is all the red patterning on the axe, swords, and archer belts. Thank you, tribal tattoo websites.

This is also a themed group.

I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01: This is a dice tray. It's large enough to catch most rolls, shock absorbent enough to damp down die bouncing, and flat enough for easy storage.

Hellgnash Skullsplitter disapproves of your rolling skills!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
A question on amnesty month - in the past, has it been 'partially completed models that were previously failed', or is it 'any partially completed models'?

I've got like 10-13 figures in various states of completion, and I wouldn't mind tacking some of them onto my normal pledge if there's time.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

You did a really good job on that patterning.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I, Iris of Ether, oath the following:

Astrid, female bard
Goblin

Both are Reaper's Bones line, 28mm scale.

Pre-conversion picture of the goblin:

He was already missing his arm when I got him. :shobon:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Iris of Ether posted:

I, Iris of Ether, oath the following:

Astrid, female bard
Goblin

Both are Reaper's Bones line, 28mm scale.

Pre-conversion picture of the goblin:

He was already missing his arm when I got him. :shobon:

I'm making an oath addition!

Damien, Hellborn Wizard
'Hell on Earth' Mutant

The tiefling is Reaper Bones. The Mutant is Studio 2 Publishing, via the Kickstarter "Hell on Earth" project.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I'm making one more oath addition! (I wasn't sure I'd have time this month. I apparently did.) :blush:

Ezren, Iconic Wizard
Amiri, Iconic Barbarian

Both are Reaper Bones, 28mm. The pre-conversion picture is in my first link below.

Prior October Oaths:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=420084386
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=420202296

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Bucnasti posted:

Oath Complete

Da Kool Skool Bus

:allears: How'd you make the diamond plate?

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
OATH COMPLETE!

Backstory

It started with five: formidable apart, awesome together. Each pursued a different path until joining together under the Sign of Rock.

Amalric Blackstorm spent his youth immersed in the arcane. He could always call the lightning, but now, he has found the thunder.

Melodie Ashstone stands fifth in a line of elven chroniclers. She didn't just perfect the style - she wrote the book.

Mux Steelfist reigns as Champion of the Ten Furies. He lost his arm in the clan wars, but now he's part drum machine and all business.

Zan Sinsinger breathes the mysteries of the dark arts. His voice is that of an angel - his intensity, a demon.

Ragna hails from the Frozen Northlands. She abandoned the ways of the sword for those of the stringed axe.

Together, they

ARE

:rock: MULTICLASS BARD! :rock:

They are also a themed group.

Detektuv’s Jurnal

Meet Fifteen Finger Frank, the Mammogram Mutant. He considers his seared-pink flesh a plus in his field.

STOP. HaVE yOu DOnE yOUr sELf-eXaM TOdaY!? I aM EqUIpPEd tO hELp!?!

:stare: Prevention medicine in the wasteland's harsh, man.

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 28, 2013

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Lord Hypnostache posted:

This is a thing of beauty you've painted.

:blush:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

enri posted:

Did anyone specifically use a pink paint?! I used a red wash over a bone basecoat then had a few highlights with the same bone colour later on.

I do have some pinks, just didn't fancy using them :D

I used a bottle of Reaper's Entrail Pink that they included in with one of my orders, washing it red on my bard's hair and purple-ish on the mutant.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I, Iris of Ether, oath to paint a Spirit of the Forest and a Gnomish Druid. The spirit is Reaper Bones. The druid is Stonehaven Miniatures. Both are 28mm scale.

I've got some more dudes coming in the mail, but I want to get started now. :)

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Leperflesh posted:

Monthly prizes:

:neckbeard: Hooray, brushes! This'll be a nice upgrade from the Craft Store Specials I've been buying. Thanks!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Indolent Bastard posted:

:siren:I Indolent Bastard Oath 5 Impact! Miniatures Fantasy Football players, 1 Reaper(?) Treeman, 1 Games Workshop Meganob, 1 Corvus Beli/Infinity Tank Hunter:siren: Everything is considered 28mm

Yep, he's Mossbeard the Treeman. Though when I bought him, he was just in a little boxed set, not that plastic case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Oath Complete!

Tree bros represent!

Detectuv Jurnal

In honor of Movember, my treant gained a tree beard and a magnificent plant-stache. He's also got leafy gnome ears, now.

I'd liked how adorably puppy-like the treant's face looked before I added the mustache, but the alternate's ended up turning into 'pugilist grandpa'. I can live with that. :3:

• Locked thread