Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Absolutely right Enri, that was part of opening up the contest to models outside of GW.

And here is my first oath!

:siren: ineptmule oaths three Fire Warriors, one Stealth Suit, one Shield Drone and two Kroot! :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Ledgem posted:

OATHING: Thagrosh, The prophet and his entourage of a Scythean, Angelius, and Ravagore from Privateer Press

do 3 50mm and one 40mm base models count towards the "Theme" prize?

Also Sole.Sushi you never replied when I asked what I did for the Guild Harmony model in the last thread. I am curious.

You're all good for the theme prize. The three 50mm dudes look big enough and the smaller guy tips it over to certainty.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Aix Athanatos posted:

I'll also be painting these according to an Iron Man theme. Should I mention that in bold now or wait till the oath is complete?

Further to KG's reply, and in general: I will include all completed qualifying oaths within which I can discern a theme in the bi-monthly prize draw. This means I might even include oaths which were not knowingly made according to theme (such as large WHFB regiments might not be.)

However, If you're deliberately going for the prize, please make my job a lot easier and make it absolutely explicit that you applied a theme to your dudes.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Destrado posted:

I, Destrado, oath a 5 Haramaki link team (Corvus Belli/Infinity) for May.

(pile of arms and heads included because I haven't decided how much I'll paint before assembly).

Not sure if it'll be enough for the 'themed group' prize, hopefully I'll get time to do some squad markings and such.

You're good. Infinity is 28mm and you're doing five guys. All depending on how you paint them of course :)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Chance II posted:

I'm "Bonus Style" Oathing one Clipsos Infiltrator, Sakiel Regiment, and Ectros Regiment from Corvus Belli's Tohaa faction of Infinity.

With these models, that would round out the Tohaa Starter Pack so would that count as painting a team?

Yep, you're good. 28mm requires 5 models for the themed group prize.

Excited for this as its the first mixed bag group going for the prize that I've seen. It's easy and obvious to paint five Orks or Imperial Guard or whatever to match, but this is a group of models that will all look quite different :)

That's not at all a criticism of the other oaths, I just want to see where people might run with the idea and this is a step in that direction!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

IrvingWashington posted:

Hey everybody - if you haven't built a lightbox, you really, really should.

Here's the best WIP picture I took last night:

and here's my best WIP pic after making the foamcore lightbox linked in the OP:

Bear in mind that I am terrible at taking pictures, and that I lit this with an overhead light and a hand-held led flashlight, and you should be able to see how much more awesome things will look. I applied the same fixes to each - auto color/contrast/tone.

Also, I should say thanks to TCP Global for rushing me a replacement compressor so I can get that large bastard primed and painted - I almost died along with my compressor worried a whole lot about how the hell I was going to finish without an airbrush to prime anything when it kicked the bucket this Tuesday.

Lastly; a rules question:

I originally oathed these models - they are 10mm Hawk Wargames minis:

There are 6 models total so far. I'm planning on adding infantry to my oath for this month because I realized that I'm scared of painting them and I'll put them off 'till the end unless I make myself do it asap. There are 5 infantry models per stand.

To qualify for the bi-monthly theme draw, how many stands do I need to add to get to the 10-model minimum? I figure it's either 4 stands (6 + 4) or 1 stand (6 + 5), but I don't know which. Thanks for reading (and hopefully answering) my dumb question!

I'm guessing each infantry guy is really tiny, right? Well considering that each of those tanks or whatever is 'a model' in your size category, then I'd say each stand counts as one so that there's more balance between 'one model'.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

At 28mm, you need a minimum of 5 figures to qualify for the Themed Group drawing. While the teddy bear is larger, the other three are smaller than usual. Because it's on the edge, I'll leave it to ineptmule to make an official ruling.

Ineptmule's official rules are:

Personally I think it'd be cool to build a single entry across two Oaths, but that's not envisioned in the rules. I'll again defer to ineptmule if he decides he wants to broaden the rules for this contest.

Quotin' Leperflesh because he addresses both issues in his post.

1. Teddy and Daydreams: I'm sorry to say that wont fulfil the theme. We discussed something similar while planning the thread, and ruled that for simplicity we'll go with the majority scale for the group to determine required numbers. That said, even if there are no more daydreams to join the group you could contrive a way to add somebody - it doesn't have to be from the same team... you could have a hapless victim, for example?

2. Again, we discussed this in planning. It was decided that keeping track of multipart oaths across two months would be a nightmare. In addition, if you started a group in the second month then should you be able to add to it in the next month, after a prize draw? We felt it would be simplest and fairest to go with them having to be completed in the same month.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Wow, very nice indeed. Congrats!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

IrvingWashington posted:

As a counterpoint - I asked and ineptmule replied that my total oath needed to be 10 models, and I originally thought that some of the vehicles I was painting would be counts-as for a model from the higher scale, but apparently not - everything in this post is what I was told would need to be done to qualify for the theme drawing.

Hrrm. I am conflicted on this:

You all have valid points. In fact, I agree with the poster above who said that really it's the size of the model and not, strictly speaking, the scale that matters.

How big are those DzC tanks?

Edit: sorry for the confusion. Standardising across scales is hard. Once we have worked this out I'll find a way to compensate anyone whose oathing has been affected.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 20, 2013

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Is the Themed Group a one time thing or monthly?

Monthly entry to a bi-monthly prize draw.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Iris of Ether posted:

I was wondering - would a group of zombies be obviously themed enough to qualify for Themed Group, even if they were all dressed differently? My Zombicide bonus minis arrived 1-2 weeks back, and I was thinking about doing 5+ of the undead heroes as an entry next month.

Yeah, definitely. I've said before that while eg. military units or sports teams clearly count as themed groups, I'm actually more excited to see what people might do with groups of civilians* or gangs, warbands etc. that aren't wearing uniforms or whatever that STILL look like they belong together.

Unified painting styles and basing, for example, are good ways to tie them together.

* living or dead! :D

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

YF19pilot posted:

OATH COMPLETE

Otherwise, would like some clarification if this qualifies for the Bi-Monthly group contest. If not, that's okay, I'll be in next month.

If they are 28mm long then you're good, as they're big enough that you can qualify with 5.

If they're smaller then you'll need 8.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
drat, them's some really nice nobz Deanut Pancer. Lovely bright look but still muted and grimdark.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Yep, I've ruled that it's the size of the models that matters and not the strict definition of the scale.

I'd say Ledgem's Everblight guys qualify.

Unfortunately Lunchbox624, while the extra bits you painted probably are equivalent to a mini in size/volume, the idea of the theme is to groups of dudes together, so I'm afraid you'll need five full models of around 28mm height to qualify.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Under 15 posted:

Oath Complete!

Journal WIP's:

Bases painted and some blocking in of colors on the shields and skin.

All colors blocked in, ready to move on to inking and such

Shields in varying stages of completion.

On the march, or something.

Since this is my first oath ever, I qualify for Aww, it's a Baby.
I can call this a themed group, right? They're all the same model type but they do make up a single unit. If not, I'll wait for next month, I'll have a bigger variety of models.

I also have one minor issue with my complete oath... I'd had one shield set aside for the champion (a lizardman shield) that was in my first picture, but almost immediately I decided it looked dumb and wasn't going to work so I swapped it out for a round shield that was larger than the standard goblin one. You can see this shield in the first WIP and the completed photo, so the switch happened before the project started. I guess if it's a big deal I could paint the shield from the original picture before tomorrow and take a picture of it, but I'd rather not.

This does indeed qualify as a themed group!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
drat! So close! I have probably another hour or so to do :(

Ah well, I have recused myself from prizes this year anyhow, and I'll have these guys finished and that is what matters!

Looking forward to going through the oaths and finding the Theme Group qualifiers.

Well done everybody!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

:siren: Oathbreaker Time :siren:

I decided, with the narrative of Mr. Green, to go film noir with my oathbreaker theme. Thus we have our first month's avatar, ripe for picking:

Forget it, ya git. Itz Failuretown.

Oh wow, that is great. I'm now a bit happier that I failed my oath!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
As a representative of the oath thread organisers, I humbly submit that I should bear the mark of oath breaking shame.

EDIT: Also it's a wicked avatar

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I accept the mark of shame. Never fear, fellow goons.

EDIT: Might as well use this post to make my new oath! I oath 9 stands of 15mm miniatures and one piece of 15mm terrain. There are 5 stands of rough-looking militia and 4 fallout-style super mutants which each have their own base. These miniatures are from Khurasan.

In addition...

I am also going to SAVE DA WHALES on my May oath, which is really close to being completed:

(original oath pic below)

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 5, 2013

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Yeah, we thought about this in planning the thread and I'm afraid that I think it would be a nightmare to keep track of adding to themed groups across separate months.

But I guess, as Krushgroove said, if people always quote their first oath of a group along with the second part then it should be possible.

The principal aims of the theme prize are to get people painting more than the minimum oath as well as getting armies/squads/gangs/teams painted, and keeping those in mind I'm tempted to allow it.

I believe I made the opposite call in the first month, though, so somebody might have changed what they planned to do as a result. If anybody feels that way I apologise!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

I think given the intent of the prize, and the additional work, I'm in favor of the rules as they're currently written. If you want to do a themed group, it's a bit more effort because you have to get enough models painted in a single month/Oath. That extra effort gets you eligibility for a prize. Let's stick with that unless there's a compelling reason to change it.

Agreed. I'm gonna stick with that ruling.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Well hey, I certainly did not anticipate wrecked vehicle markers or terrain being used as a themed group!

I'm gonna say 'why not', as there's a great deal of potential for themed damage/wreck markers and terrain that brings whole battlefields together with a theme.

Awesome markers by the way!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Booley posted:

:siren:I Oath 3 Tau Crisis Suits from Games Workshop for the month of June:siren:

I'm hoping this will work for a themed group, as they're pretty signficantly taller than 28mm. If not, I will add some drones.

I'd say yes, as they are pretty much ogre-sized which is what I thought of as the next scale up from 28mm.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
:siren: Ladies and Gentlegoons! Listen the hell up! It's time to announce the first THEMED GROUP PRIZE!:siren:

Tadhg the dice gods obviously favour painting stupid amounts of miniatures as THIS OATH is the winner of the first theme prize!

A voucher or PayPal to the specified sum in your local currency will be yours! PM me or email n.kirkby at googlemail.com to claim your prize!

Well done to all who painted themed groups! I'm really pleased to see so many entries. There are going to be FIVE more randomly drawn prizes and a final JUDGED prize at the end of the year, so keep painting them groups!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
:siren: ineptmule oaths one Space Marine Terminator and lots of extra arms for the month of July! :siren:

I also am going to attempt to Save the Whales! (again) on this previous oath...

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Ledgem posted:

Conversion pre-painting shot for yan lo and izamu as well as Detektuv's Jurnal pre-painting shot, cut and swaps being Izamu's arm and one of its flags, most of yan lo, and the ashigaru's spear pointing up instead of down.

Holy poo poo, where are those models from?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Weirdo posted:

My orc boy now has a real choppa

zug zug

That's a pretty cool idea. Might have to steam that.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Attention Tadhg! You have not contacted me about claiming your Themed Group prize!

PM me or email n.kirkby at googlemail.com!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Tadhg posted:

I started by taking a set of blunderbuss arms from a GW Empire kit, and a GW Space Marine Scout Biker arm.

Let's rotate the wrist holding that blunderbuss, remove the hand from under the gun, and take the Space Marine's hand.

Then I took the legs from an Empire Outrider. The horse just seems too fancy for what I have planned...

Although this fancy hat will do just fine. Better cut that ugly head away.

And put it all together on a Tamiya mule model. :banjo:

:hist101: I, Tadhg, Oath to paint this... drunk guy on a mule! :hist101:

He's going to be the mounted general for my Stirland Empire army. :v:

That's awesome!

I owe you a prize, dammit!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Grey Hunter posted:

:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

I'm not sure if these guys qualify for the themed group or not, their all Police officers, but as most of them are out of Uniform, they don't match up per-se. I'll let the judges decide on that one.
They were a lot of fun to paint however. Trying to be realistic for once is a nice change. This set features Not-Sherlock Holmes and Not-Dr Watson, as well as Not-the-cast-of-Ripper-street. (Inspector Reed, Sergeant Drake the desk clerk and the young policeman.)

That is most definitely a themed group :)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, he did. I'm pretty sure he'll go for it so I'm going to go ahead and enter it in the spreadsheet.

Indeed, approved as per the previous ruling.

In other news! I have completed my oath!

With some selected weapon configurations...

And my personal favourite...

And my saved whales...

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

Congrats on saving the whales! For this month, it seems like you did cut & swap some stuff? But, I need before/after photos. What got cut, what is swapped. I can't tell if that figure comes armless and you just did some arms, which I think wouldn't qualify.

Mmm, pretty sure it doesn't qualify - those are just all the arm options done separately. I'm not intentionally going for the jurnal anyhow so even if it were to qualify so I won't be posting more pics.

(Because I'm not at home and don't have access to the models.)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Monoliths posted:

:catdrugs:OAF COMPLEAT:catdrugs:

Almost bit off more than I could chew this month, poo poo's getting busy around here, though I did find time to finish these 'ard boyz.

They're sort of a speed test run for the 100+ other kinds of boyz I have in a bin in my closet. The lesson learned is that these guys took waaaay too long for the result, I'll probably simplify it for the regular fellas. These guys have numerous conversions and some tasty Kromlech bodies and legs to help them justify that extra armor save.

I'm going really grimy and grimdark on these, I want the feel of the army to be more brutal and sinister and less goofy than the usual ork thing. I wanted a really dark, muted palette with spots of high contrast and I think this works pretty well. The most heartbreaking part is painting these really nice vibrant yellows and then weathering the poo poo out of them.

Gotta get this photography thing figured out. It always just gets to the end of the month and I'm all "ffffff" and take some quick, crap shots.

Anyways, here's the first half of the squad with the powerklaw nob in front:

The second half:

Here's a closeup on the Detektuv's Jurnal element, a cut n' swapped chainsaw arm.

I also claim these to be conversions and a themed group.

I have me down for AP + completed + username + base + detektuv = 10 points.

Holy poo poo, these are wonderful.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
:siren:ineptmule oaths TWO TAU PATHFINDERS and ONE TAU CADRE FIREBLADE (kitbashed):siren:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Tadhg posted:

I, Tadhg, swear a fell Oath to paint Sharkey and Worm (Saruman and Grima) for the month of August..

They're both from the GW Lord of the Rings miniatures line.

For the Shire! :hist101:

Tadhg you reprobate I still owe you a prize! Get in touch!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Those Angels look flippin marvellous.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

(DOH I just noticed some bits and pieces that need a little more work but I've got to call it a night and then I'm awaaaay)

And not all of these have been painted for oaths but I thought I'd post 'em with their bros (click for BIG)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Booley posted:

Hammerhead and space marine are for scale. I'm OK with this going either way, I've got most of the month to paint more.

INEPTMULE, your judgement?

I'm gonna go with no on this, sorry. Given that drones are kinda small even at 28mm infantry scale, I would say that you need more there.

I think a rule of thumb that I proposed earlier is for the majority scale for each themed group to be the one that decides how many you need.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
PASH and TADHG - you folks are the lucky recipients of the theme prizes so far!

Get in touch (pm or n.kirkby at googlemail.com) to sort it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
:siren: ineptmule oaths a trio of Tau battlesuits (1 XV8-05, 1 XV89, 1 XV88) from Games Workshop and Forge World for the month of September :siren:

• Locked thread