Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If I understand it correctly, the Alternate Universe Oath is the ideal way for me to work on large projects that I can't finish in a single month. Like I could oath a complicated conversion project now, and as long as I complete it by next April, it's good? I am following that correctly? It wouldn't count for points and prizes this month, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

You are correct. You can of course do more than one, but each goon who completes one or more Alternate Universe oath, gets one and only one entry in a prize drawing specifically for the alternate universe oaths. And you can start them at any time and finish them at any time before the end of next April.

e. Just saw krushedgroove's response. The above is how I interpreted the rule; unless the other organizers disagree strongly, I think this is how we'll treat it going forward.

Thanks! To be clear, I am still planning to do regular monthly oaths. What happened last year was that I had a couple of larger projects that I never thought I could get done, and so they kept getting postponed in favor of more manageable tasks (specifically, I have a bunch of tanks to turn into Trukks and Battlewagons). It seems like this year I can use the Alternative Universe to commit to these sorts of larger projects, which is pretty awesome.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Ok, time to get in on this.

:siren:I, Ashcans, oath one GW 40k Ork Deathkopta :siren:

The reason that some of the areas appear to be differing colors is that I have converted this, so it has some pieces in the older, lighter shade plastic and a couple bits in metal. I can retake after priming, if needed, but it's such a pain to get a picture of a black-primed model against the monitor that doesn't just look like a silhouette.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Uh hey guys, I've been putting down "Infinity" for the model maker for a few goons, but is the model maker actually "Corvus Belli"? Please do my research for me, I refuse to google things.

Yes, Corvus Belli is the company, Infinity is the game system.

Corvus Belli:Infinity::Games Workshop:Warhammer 40k

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

Gimme a clean shot of the model (no timestamp) and you're good. Any progress you've made so far is fine.

Fortunately I work at a glacial pace, so all I have done is priming. Is this acceptable?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hooray, I can say :siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

I oathed one Deathkopta. Here is this bad dude:

For the Detekuv's Journal, here are some progress shots. Stage one DRYBRUSH EVERYTHING:

Stage two: Paint flames. On god why did I do the dark blue first arrrrgh.

Stage three: Leather and metal up in this poo poo!

I wish I had kept track of what I used on this but I made up a lot of it going along and forgot to keep track so oh well, I am going to have to get that point another day!

Edit: drat, now these are uploaded they are smaller than I thought, oh well. Hopefully big enough!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Deanut Pancer posted:

So many amazing oaths coming in today! How did you get the textured blue finish on the body of that kopta? It looks great

Thanks! It is actually done with a particularly aggressive sort of drybrushing. I primed the model black and then painted all those areas with a basecoat of Night Blue (Vallejo - used to be Midnight Blue in GW, not sure what it would be now). Then I do a ton of drybrushing with Enchanted Blue, and then another round using Hawk Turquoise, focusing on edges and details. The end result is that kind effect. If you like, you can hit it with a color-appropriate wash which takes off some of the 'dustiness' of the look and makes it a little smoother.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Guys, clearly the right answer is that he should paint ALL of them!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I have no idea what to paint this month. I was toying with some Eldar but I don't want to apply battle damage to my pretty elves. I'll have to examine my backlog for inspiration. :ohdear:

It'll probably be more orks.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

After debate and worry, my decision is made. :ohdear:

:siren: I, Ashcans, oath 5 GW Eldar Dire Avengers for the month of June :siren:

Also... :siren: I, Ashcans, will make an Alternate Universe Oath of one oldass GW Eldar War Walker :siren:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oh look it's the 13th and I have only primed my five dudes. This is what I get for oathing something that wasn't already assembled. Dammit!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

What's that, it's the final day of the month? Well that's ok, I'll still have a few hours once the kid is in bed... oh gently caress we're using GMT this year? Fuuuuuuu

I guess that means these dudes are :siren: Oath Complete :siren:

I would have liked to put another few hours into some cleanup and stuff, but good enough. My idea for this month's theme Battle Damage was that the Exarch has recently taken a wound to the head, and so has had it hastily patched with a 'crude' battlefield prosthetic until he can get back to the craftworld and get it taken care of professionally:

As an added bonus, this closeup reveals exactly how poo poo my paintjob actually is! gently caress you, Dire Avengers! :suicide:

No joke, doing a whole squad this month was a terrible idea, I just don't have the time for it.

Edit: Claiming Themed Group for this.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 1, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Ashcans, themed group?

I forgot all about that. Yes, I'd like to claim the Themed Group thingy! :v: Should I amend my oath complete post?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I have dorked around so far and now it's a third of the way through the month. Doh. Guess I am going to take it easy.

:siren:I, Ashcans, oath 1 GW Assault on Black Reach Nob:siren:

I will be doing the cut and swap thing and post the follow-up later!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Ashcans posted:

I have dorked around so far and now it's a third of the way through the month. Doh. Guess I am going to take it easy.

:siren:I, Ashcans, oath 1 GW Assault on Black Reach Nob:siren:

I will be doing the cut and swap thing and post the follow-up later!

Alright, I took this dudes arms off and replaced them with a different set, changing him from a shoota and a choppa to a big choppa.

Ta-da!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

:siren: Oaff Completed :siren:

Claiming the journal on this, as I removed his arms and replaced them with the 'eavy choppa.

I am also going to claim Parts List on this. Here is what I used:

Liquitex Black Gesso
GW Dheneb Stone
GW Orkhide Shade
GW Dwarf Bronze
GW Boltgun Metal
GW Scab Red
GW Ruby Red
GW Enchanted Blue
GW Gryphonne Sepia
GW Ogryn Flesh
GW Devlan Mud
GW Thraka Green
GW Snakebite Leather
VGC Storm Blue
VGC Graveyard
VGC Earth
VGC Khaki
VGC Cayman Green
VGC Goblin Green
RMS Stained Ivory
RMS Creamy Ivory
Gale Force Nine - Foundation Dirt Flock

Having written that down, it's a stupid number of things to have used on one dorky nob.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Ok I guess I am in for this month again

:siren: I, Ashcans, oath 1 Privateer Press Merc. Renegade Light Jack for August :siren:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am glad to say :siren:Oaff Complete!:siren:

In addition to the Weathering in the form of corrosion on the plates and flaking paint, I am also going to claim Backstory with this little thing here:

Close to the northern edge of Cygnar territory stood a crumbling barn; most of the roof had fallen in, and the walls were starting to fail now as well. Enough was left to provide Asheth Magnus with shelter for the past week, while he worked. His headlong flight from the heart of Cygnar had been exhausting, and his last clash with the usurpers dogs had nearly ruined his remaining warjack, an aged Arcane he had stolen during his escape.

Magnus had only hoped to find shelter in the barn, but had been amazed to discover a small cache of mechanical parts, apparently stored by whatever farmer had once worked this land and then either forgotten or abandoned. To many the pile of agricultural machinery would have been useless, but to a man of Magnus' skill, it was a lifeline. For the last week he had worked feverishly, stripping the mangled pieces from the Arcane and carefully constructing something entirely new. Hardly anyone would recognize the chassis of the old jack under all his work, and even the painstakingly rebuilt Cortex felt different to his mental touch.

As dawn began to filter into through the gaps in the roof, Magnus sealed the top hatch and stepped down from his perch on the 'jack's knee. At his command, the 'jack moved slowly, testing it's new limbs. It had lost both it's old arms, one replaced by an enormous woodsaw and the other with stout buckler with a charge embedded in the front- Magnus had found some blasting powder in the supplies and been inspired. Though lean and haggard, his own armor rent and dirtied, Magnus grinned at his creation. "Good morning, old friend. Feeling better." The 'jack seemed puzzled by its new lack of hands, but certainly appreciated the maintenance.

Abruptly, a shout from outside broke the morning stillness. "Asheth Magnus! We know you're in there, and we have the building surrounded. Come out and surrender, renegade!" Magnus stifled a curse, and shuffled to the wall, peering through cracks in the wood. He could see a group of armed men assembling, leveling weapons at the barn. Magnus turned to look back to his new creation. "Well, they're asking for a renegade. Let's show them what one can do."

At his word the 'jack sprang to life, stepping forward and sweeping its saw to tear a great rent in the wall. Amid the startled cries of the Cygnar troops outside, it shouldered through the gap and leveled it's buckler - a dull 'whump' of the weapon firing was followed swiftly by an enormous blast that sent men and wood tumbling in every direction. Overwhelmed by the fury of the assault, they fell back from the barn in panic.

Magnus stepped into the breach left by his 'jack, and inhaled the morning air. It was going to be a good day.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Holy crap, oath time! I went on vacation for weeks, so I am only now home and able to oath again. This means I'll keep it small to fit into the remaining time.

:siren: I, Ashcans, oath one Reaper Miniatures Kyla, Bounty Hunter, for the month of September :siren:

I will probably be doing boxart for this one, let's see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I was prepared to go to the wire tonight trying o finish my oath, but then I remembered that the deadline isn't midnight local. It's 8pm. :( There's no way I can get it done by then, so it looks like I'm in for my first failure unless I can pull of a magical amount of painting in my lunch break (I can't).

• Locked thread