Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

jony neuemonic posted:

i know this is going to sound pedantic as hell but, it's not html and react components are your templates. this guy's blog post explains it better than i probably can.

Fair enough, but still it looks ugly as sin and is not the most readable template, specially if you open it on an editor that doesn't know JSX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weekend Bridges
Apr 8, 2015

by Smythe
i think everyone has that same gut reaction about jsx, i sure did but i have stockholm syndrome now so i don't mind it. i also write most of my components as functions of their props rather than classes, eg

code:
const ShoppingList = ({ name }) => (
  <div className="shopping-list">
    <h1>Shopping List for { name }</h1>
    <ul>
      <li>Instagram</li>
      <li>WhatsApp</li>
      <li>Oculus</li>
    </ul>
  </div>
)
that's an es6 style function and it uses destructuring in the lambda list, '({ x }) => x' is the same as

code:
function(args) {
  var x = args.x
  return x
}
(es6 style functions work differently with 'this' too but you can't see that here)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
react taught me that shoehorning a markup language into a programming language is much better than shoehorning a programming language into a markup language

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

actually pretty much everyone knows that offshore is costing us money and is at best about 60% as efficient as onshore, but the entire company is completely paralysed by its obsession with budgets so therefore we carry on
this is my experience as well, but bean counters dont factor it into their analysis and only see the tiny salaries they can pay for a bundle of offshore developers

they don't consider the large communication overhead arising from different timezones and culture

they don't consider the immense amount of time that the onshore developers have to use to train and fix the fuckups of offshore

they don't consider the increased cost due to lower quality software

the only real justification you can use is that you have another labor pool of talent to hire from, but typically the talented in india command higher wages that bean counters don't want to pay or they immigrate to other countries

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

react taught me that shoehorning a markup language into a programming language is much better than shoehorning a programming language into a markup language
i've still had to look at xslt across multiple jobs

xslt is a very terrible idea

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

fleshweasel posted:

exactly. "instead of reimplementing javascript features in a templating language, just use the javascript features"

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

fleshweasel posted:

I never thought of it this way, but this is bang on. templating systems are just full of indirections to make them configurable enough to actually do what you want to, and beyond reliable escaping they always seem to fall short of how you'd like to express things.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

Fair enough, but still it looks ugly as sin and is not the most readable template, specially if you open it on an editor that doesn't know JSX

an angular 1 app of any size is going to be 10x more ugly

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
youll get over jsx seeming bad after using it

it's still bad of course but as bad things go, it's pretty good

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

comedyblissoption posted:

this is my experience as well, but bean counters dont factor it into their analysis and only see the tiny salaries they can pay for a bundle of offshore developers

they don't consider the large communication overhead arising from different timezones and culture

they don't consider the immense amount of time that the onshore developers have to use to train and fix the fuckups of offshore

they don't consider the increased cost due to lower quality software

the only real justification you can use is that you have another labor pool of talent to hire from, but typically the talented in india command higher wages that bean counters don't want to pay or they immigrate to other countries

yeah pretty much. just because your spreadsheet says that that person is costing less doesnt mean that they're delivering the same value per $, this is why every hosed up enron or lehman company has a pile of accountants going 'well our figures said they were ok so idk"

also yeah, i have seen genuinely good people but they all either a) leave to get paid more or b) transfer to an onshore location which defeats the point entirely.

anyway i have decided to be 'good cop' and instead of forcing my own arbitrary coding preferences on them im going to try and instigate a shift by forcing them to innovate by picking one system area to refactor and do at least some basic code reviews on it. I'll also tell them that we're shifting to whole app to mvc piece by piece so they should get learning.

if this fails ill just set the min commit comment size to 500 chars and then revoke their svn access if they don't comply

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah pretty much. just because your spreadsheet says that that person is costing less doesnt mean that they're delivering the same value per $, this is why every hosed up enron or lehman company has a pile of accountants going 'well our figures said they were ok so idk"

also yeah, i have seen genuinely good people but they all either a) leave to get paid more or b) transfer to an onshore location which defeats the point entirely.

anyway i have decided to be 'good cop' and instead of forcing my own arbitrary coding preferences on them im going to try and instigate a shift by forcing them to innovate by picking one system area to refactor and do at least some basic code reviews on it. I'll also tell them that we're shifting to whole app to mvc piece by piece so they should get learning.

if this fails ill just set the min commit comment size to 500 chars and then revoke their svn access if they don't comply
Adds missing functionality, fixes many problems.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Adds missing functionality, fixes many problems.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

dont dox my commits thx

actually, also a good description of my day at work. fix some bugs, add some features, stare at the wall until enough time has passed to leave

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
my company is de-offshoring a angular 1.x webapp and im one of hte lucky ones taking it over.

every git commit message is "chnge" and they hand-edit 3rd party minified CSS/JS like bootstrap, to add in stuff specific to this app straight into bootstrap.min.css

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

dont dox my commits thx

actually, also a good description of my day at work. fix some bugs, add some features, stare at the wall until enough time has passed to leave

why arent you leaving now

it sounds like a real shithole there and youve currently got options whether you realize it or not

e: overall it sounds like youre wasting your time with this company tbh

e2: to be clear you should only actually leave once you have a signed offer from your next employer -- dont leave before then

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 30, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Flat Daddy posted:

hand-edit 3rd party minified CSS/JS
whyyy :gonk:

it's like deploying bugfix to obfuscated code

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

well the good news is AmigaOS has a built-in IFF parser and ILBM isn't a complicated format

the bad news is I have to figure out how to decode PackBits RLE data into chip memory and shovel it at the Copper to draw SKULL_TRUMPET.IFF

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

cinci zoo sniper posted:

whyyy :gonk:

it's like deploying bugfix to obfuscated code

i swear, they even added comments to explain one of the changes (relatively nice of them), so i know they werent editing + minifying it outside of source control and just copying it back in.

it really looks like the output of someone who has no loving idea about web dev at all, not even basic jquery*, and they had a strict requirement to add an angularJS frontend.

* somewhere they wrote: angular.element(document.querySelectorAll('.thing'));

literally everywhere i look in the source, theres an amazing coding horror ive never seen anywhere else

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:allbuttons:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Flat Daddy posted:

i swear, they even added comments to explain one of the changes (relatively nice of them), so i know they werent editing + minifying it outside of source control and just copying it back in.

it really looks like the output of someone who has no loving idea about web dev at all, not even basic jquery*, and they had a strict requirement to add an angularJS frontend.

* somewhere they wrote: angular.element(document.querySelectorAll('.thing'));

literally everywhere i look in the source, theres an amazing coding horror ive never seen anywhere else

this is pretty amazing

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

well the good news is AmigaOS has a built-in IFF parser and ILBM isn't a complicated format

the bad news is I have to figure out how to decode PackBits RLE data into chip memory and shovel it at the Copper to draw SKULL_TRUMPET.IFF

does the QuickDraw source code that was released not contain an optimized 68K PackBits/UnpackBits implementation?

edit: it does, see Bitmaps.a and search for PROCEDURE UnpackBits

eschaton fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 30, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

eschaton posted:

does the QuickDraw source code that was released not contain an optimized 68K PackBits/UnpackBits implementation?

edit: it does, see Bitmaps.a and search for PROCEDURE UnpackBits

oh duh forgot about that

i had to adapt it slightly because QuickDraw knows how long the result should be (one scanline worth of bytes) while with an ILBM bitmap we know how long the compressed source is (the length of the BODY chunk) but not the result size

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

why arent you leaving now

it sounds like a real shithole there and youve currently got options whether you realize it or not

e: overall it sounds like youre wasting your time with this company tbh

e2: to be clear you should only actually leave once you have a signed offer from your next employer -- dont leave before then

well i was exaggerating a bit there tbh

i get annoyed enough to look for another job about every 3 months but then settle back down because i get paid well and actually have an insane amount of freedom in what i do day to day. there's just the usual large corporate bullshit of offshoring, incompetence and bureaucracy to put up with

Flat Daddy posted:

they hand-edit 3rd party minified CSS/JS like bootstrap, to add in stuff specific to this app straight into bootstrap.min.css

also holy poo poo it could be worse lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

i think you mean "couldn't", unless your imagination is a lot more twisted than mine

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Luigi Thirty posted:

but not the result size

how

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

well i was exaggerating a bit there tbh

i get annoyed enough to look for another job about every 3 months but then settle back down because i get paid well and actually have an insane amount of freedom in what i do day to day. there's just the usual large corporate bullshit of offshoring, incompetence and bureaucracy to put up with

it is actually possible to dynamically modify the contents of a stylesheet using javascript

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i want to kill everyone involved in sphinx documentation for sphinx being acceptable

e: ok, it's not that bad, but they certainly didn't concern themselves with providing more than a mere reference

e2:

good lord who did and still thinks that was a great idea to write docs. thanks google and scipy for more sensible dosctring style guides

e3:
Python code:
return ((x, y, z)
          for x in xrange(5)
          for y in xrange(5)
          if x != y
          for z in xrange(5)
          if y != z)

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 30, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

well here's where we're at so far

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Soricidus posted:

i think you mean "couldn't", unless your imagination is a lot more twisted than mine

no i mean like my life could be worse because i dont have to deal with that kind of poo poo (yet)

qntm posted:

it is actually possible to dynamically modify the contents of a stylesheet using javascript

what an excellent way of introducing difficult to find bugs, thanks javascript!

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 30, 2016

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

qntm posted:

You can also create a new stylesheet in JS, which I had to do on a previous project.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

we did it, a 224x190 still frame in a 32-color display window

it pops 5 recoverable guru meditations when it exits, leaks memory like a sieve, and crashes the system if you try to run it twice without rebooting

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 30, 2016

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

it pops 5 recoverable guru meditations when it exits, leaks memory like a sieve, and crashes the system if you try to run it twice without rebooting

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

meets specs, ship it

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

rewrite the error messages so they say "thanks for using my program!" like they famously did for Wing Commander

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

it pops 5 recoverable guru meditations when it exits, leaks memory like a sieve, and crashes the system if you try to run it twice without redooting

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

dang.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

Fully sick

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

also the custom Amiga I'm ordering is assembled and tested and on its way to my house

I'll post pics of it running on real hardware lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

also the custom Amiga I'm ordering is assembled and tested and on its way to my house

I'll post pics of it running on real hardware lol

recapped? because amigas need recapped

what Amiga are you getting?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

eschaton posted:

recapped? because amigas need recapped

what Amiga are you getting?

yeah it's all refurbished and fancy

amiga 2000 with a fat agnus and a combination 40MHz 68EC030/fast RAM upgrade/scsi card and a flicker fixer that gives VGA output

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Luigi Thirty posted:

not good enough. has to be animated and also have the sound

• Locked thread