Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Share Bear posted:

what is breaking in this sense? it stops running at a certain point? is there an ajax call or something that is asynchronous that fails?

the non-debugger browser console (not the web console) does not show an error either?

the debugger breaks in a callback from a jquery function but the particular line it breaks on seems fine. no errors in the browser console anyway

oh and removing a comment fixed it :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the IE debugger doesn't do it, lol. shaggar was right.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

current javascript status: i just read the words "bubble up the DOM tree" and now i want to kill myself

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ugh goddammit

so

right now we're doing this

code:
$.getJson(url, callback)
which according to the jquery docs is equivalent to

code:
$.ajax({
    dataType: "json",
    url: url,
    success: callback
})
but the top one calls the callback while the bottom one does not. and i need to use the bottom so i can throw a timeout in there. what gives

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

dazjw posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=430899401#post430899401 zelda thread in games, discussing how easy, coding-wise, it'd be to make zelda have interchangeable hero/damsel roles for the characters

you missed the italics. those really brought the post together

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

this one's just as good

Blasphemeral posted:

I wonder why they don't just have a screen at the start of the next game:

Which hero would you like?
[Link] [Zelda] [Impa] [Groose]
They're all in badass poses like, "bring it!"

After you select one, let's say you picked Groose, it gives you a second screen:

Who has been kidnapped?
[Link] [Zelda] [Impa]
They all have a scared, "help me!" look, or maybe they're tied up in rope Snydley Whiplash-style.

After you select one, the story starts. It swaps the name/pronouns for the hero and kidnapee, and the non-selected ones show up as secondary characters.

It's like, zero extra programming as long as they've got decent coders on their team.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh lord but he's arguing with zaphod42, the worst poster on the forums

close Games

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Maggot Monster posted:

my coworker's irc nick is zaphod42... goon found

it might not be the same guy, they could just be the two least creative people in the world

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

42 :iamafag:

I'm a really hoopy frood you guys :iamafag:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey if i have a dumb programming question is this the thread for it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

AlsoD posted:

are you a terrible programmer?

absolutely

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

whoops nevermind i figured it out

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ugh, this spotify api tutorial is in node

UGH

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

please report your tale of terribleness my brother

here's an api that the local public music radio station uses for its playlist viewer https://api.composer.nprstations.or..._=1406212651411

i wanna make a thing, probably in python, that'll automatically create spotify playlists from this show's playlist

all i wanted to know was what i had to do about those escaped quotes but it turns out that was a very simple question: replace("\\\"","\"")

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh cool changing the url params makes it even easier. i just hope i don't end up in jail like weev for accessing this url without permission

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

prefect posted:

this feels weird and wrong to me:

code:
if (true != some_booleantype_value)
is this just something wrong with my brain?

it's just what you're used to seeing, that's preferable because once you get in the habit you'll avoid accidentally using = instead of == because you can't assign to true/false

unless you're saying it should be

code:
if (!some_boolean_shit)
because yeah that's better

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

prefect posted:

that's exactly what i would expect it to be

i think it's some kind of cargo cult thing where people who've just started reading about coding conventions get it into their head that "more verbosity == better than"

i know i went through that phase

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i don't like coursera bc you have to keep on their schedule and when i'm just doing something in my free time i always fall behind. udacity ftw

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hi what can i do with forth or a forth-like

forth seems fun

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

whoops this is the terrible programmer thread, not the programming language thread

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey i fixed my broken macbook should i try swift yet

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

k

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

this place wants to interview me next week, but they make jr. developer hires work tier 4 support for a year before sticking them on the development team. is that something normal?

they have a 4.2 on glassdoor :eyepop:

this isn't exactly a policy at my job but it kinda just happens. makes sense to spend time in support to learn your way around the code, plus somebody has to do it so might as well make the new guy do it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

developer on the technical support team

bolded the only part that matters, gently caress em

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

depends on the nature of the company. as a developer I have contacted device manufacturers and talked to programmers for "tech support"

they usually have fancier titles though

do you know if they were on the tech support team though, or did the company just have their engineers also do tech support

the place i interned, the tech support hotline rang on all five of the programmers' phones.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

so my choices are continue making 9 dollars an hour doing retail or GIMP MY CAREER FOREVER by doing tech support poo poo for 50k

ok yeah that changes things

we actually have a guy here who i don't think even graduated community college, started in support and does actual programming for customer solutions now. he smells like weed about 30% of the time.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

"gauged" lmao

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the command line... so quirky

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i am currently dealing with c++ code that calls python code that calls c++ code that calls python code and i want to die. that is all

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hi pl thread should i learn rust

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

whoops this isn't the pl thread

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i use python 3.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

surebet posted:

so we have a new web dev

"hey please add this google analytics snippet to the site: (link to my personal gh repo) it goes in the <head>"

sent that 2 fridays ago, last week i was on vacation, come back to the realisation that instead of adding the code as a sane person would he just pasted the link verbatim as the first <body> line and every loving page if the company site has been advertising my gh for a week

when i asked wtf wasn't clear about "put the code in the <head>" he explains that he doesn't understand what a <head> is

dude uses frontpage 2003 in strictly wysiwyg mode :woop:

so we have another new web dev

i've been worried about my hirability, this gave me hope, thanks :unsmith:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

AWWNAW posted:

I used front page to make some sites and charge money for them

in 1997

when I was in high school

there are many people who try to keep doing this, forever

one of my high school friends dropped out of a cs degree, freshman year, because he already knew frontpage

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

CPColin posted:

A good indicator that somebody is a particularly bad programmer is when he or she doesn't think to use programming to solve a repetitive task. I was in a graphics class once and we had to make an object in a washer shape. I used some sines and cosines and came up with a model whose polygon count was controlled by a constant. Then I got into the lab and saw everybody else's version. A few of them used graph paper and typed in the coordinates. A bunch more calculated the values correctly, but did it by hand, then typed them in.

it's me lol :smith:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

well ok maybe the depression and drug abuse had something to do with it too

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

regex in c++. should i even try?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

syntax error: 'string'

lol c++

Adbot