Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

ctpszs: playing around with scipy/numpy/matplotlib in ipython. this does not seem superior to matlab in any way other than freeness. largely because python seems bad.

I think someone has hooked up a lisp (SBCL or CCL) to ipython notebooks so you can use a nicer language

I haven't touched ipython myself because just lol using software in a web browser, that's what native apps are for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

Yeah the Web browser interface is like peak p lang.

I just really want a matlab alternative without some tragic flaw is that so much to ask for?

evidently

I bought a raspberry pi because it has free mathematica, sure it's s-l-o-w mathematica but at least I can VNC in from a real computer and it's still faster than anything I used in the 90s

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

whats R's tragic flaw?

GPLv3

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

master of the sea posted:

okay so i figured out that the correct way to do this is by using the core data framework and golly its really nice so ok that's my story thanks

bug me if you have any questions, I missed helping out in the Core Data labs at WWDC this year

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MononcQc posted:

The people who never expected netsplits, or were fine with single points of failures (and punted on quick-recovery options) will have a real great time starting around 2AM EST tomorrow (11PM PST tonight), up until early next week, as their infrastructure gradually gets shut down and restarted by force.

remember when a major early Bitcoin exchange was run on an EC2 instance? and evaporated when the instance was rebooted because they never sprang for storage, taking all its customers' Bitcoins with it?

good times

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

master of the sea posted:

thanks i'll probably have tons of questions soon, i am struggling a bit with the key value observer system, i have a table view i want to update when there's a new object of a certain type in the object store, but i'm not really sure how to do that, i can watch objects just fine i think but this for some reason eludes me

do you want to know when some other process adds an instance of a particular entity to your store? or some other thread/queue in the same process?

for the former, you'll have to do a periodic query, there's no way around it (unless you implement some sort of IPC yourself)

for the latter, there's a notification you can observe that the managed object context will post when it saves, you can get the IDs of the affected objects from that and ask the IDs for the entities of the objects they represent to see if their object is an instance of the kind of entity you need to deal with

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Bloody posted:

250 gigabytes of gzipped csv

is this the funny computer master corpus

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MononcQc posted:

The advantages of TDD are:

- You think about what your code should do and expose as an interface before jumping in (write it with the user in mind, not the programmer)
- Your tests are more about what the code should do than crystallizing what crappy code you wrote is doing right now
- It's a shitload more boring to write code after everything is done, than making it part of the design process

- You write your code in a more testable manner rather than building up a structure that's hard to interpose things into for testing or modification

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Bloody posted:

this is unrelated to my previous line of questions

say i have a c# program, butt, that produces objects, farts, and i have another (or several other) c# programs on my network that consume farts and return odors and i want the butt to produce farts and get back odors via these other programs over the network (because the odor of a fart takes a lot of cpu time to figure out)

how do i do this

are the fart-to-odor programs all the same, or different?

either way I think this is the sort of thing you'd do with a message queue or service bus these days. butt posts farts to the queue, fart consumers pull them off (under control of the queue) and post odors to the queue, butt (or nose) pulls odors off the queue and does whatever

com stymie

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

can someone give me the lowdown on why ppl don't like COM? what's wrong with it?

admittedly i only used COM very briefly but i didn't have any big issues with it other than some weird terminology (apartment? whaat?)

COM can only do things you could do with C++ vtables in 1990 or so, and doesn't support any sort of real extensibility, just adding yet more replicated IFooEx IFooEx2 INewFoo and so on interfaces

as the basis for an "object system" it's laughably terrible and it was hilarious to find out the Windows people still did all the new Windows stuff in it rather than in real .NET with its more powerful type system and binary compatibility story

it'd be like if the frameworks in OS X were built around the old Component Manager from QuickTime instead of Objective-C, because the OS team wanted to keep doing everything the same way they'd been doing it 25 years previous

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

last i heard, circa 2008, they were still buying Symbolics hardware and emulators to try to keep their miserable proprietary system limping along. do note: symbolics essentially went out of business in 1992. the current "symbolics, inc" is two guys who have worked on it part time for the last 20 years

it's both better and worse than that, Symbolics DKS is run by a former employee and he occasionally contracts out maintenance work to other folks in that community, they even did things like port the OpenGenera emulator to x86-64 and it's by all accounts pretty awesome

then the Symbolics IP was owned by a scammer dude who died and got tied up in probate, now it's finally been bought by the dude who wrote CL-HTTP who is sitting on it (rather than open sourcing it) because it's "valuable"

keep in mind any patents they had are literally expired by now. what's the value in that IP?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

component manager from quicktime is several years newer than cocoa/objC

osx's core objC APIs mostly date to 1987-1988

I know full well (given what it is I do, and I've also written CM code)

ObjC is still more "modern," Component Manager was basically a standard wrapper for your switch/case dispatch poo poo, ObjC at least abstracts that behind a language feature.

there were people in the Mac community post-1996 who seriously suggested ObjC should become a wrapper for CM dispatch instead so they could still write their poo poo in Pascal and C++ instead of accede to the winners of the object wars

fortunately none were at Apple

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Bloody posted:

the noses are all the same but on different machines

definitely sounds like a message bus/queue system

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MeruFM posted:

does C# not have a generic sqlite engine? you should use that unless you're making an mmo

Entity Framework is the .NET clone of Core Data, I'm pretty sure there's been some equivalent to the SQLite persistent store for standalone app use since the first version.

there's also an actual SQLite backend for it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

whats our schema look like? well, we don't really believe in schemas. those kinds of restrictions really bind our creativity in ways that make it too hard to express the beauty of our application.

as a perpetrator of ORMs I unironically agree with Shaggar here

I got sick of the "but a schema binds my creativity" bullshit well over a decade ago

it's right up there with "I won't know the design until I code it"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

Lotus Notes is the original NoSQL database

Lotus Notes is just a PC knockoff of Plato Notes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Soricidus posted:

at least c has a standard mechanism that everyone uses, which provides for basic separation of interface and implementation, provides a basic level of isolation between compilation units, etc.

it isn't quite enough though for anything but static compilation, though.

C has to have all sorts of additions in order to manage API evolution, ABI compatibility, and so on, all of which are nonstandard. (and none of which are taught, rather than learned by osmosis.)

C just has fewer problems because it sets a higher bar for getting anything at all done with the language; by the time you're a marginally competent C programmer, you pick up things like "if you add a parameter to that API, all existing code will fail to link" because you've probably had that exact problem yourself in the past.

code modularity is a surprisingly difficult problem, especially when combined with evolution of different subsystems over time.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Seaside Loafer posted:

i did cobol for 5 years years ago, here let me show you the not at all to much typing required syntax for a 1 to 10 for loop

code:

perform varying x from 1 by 1 until x = 10
    stuff
end-perform

the way variable definitions work is even more amusing

how does it differ in the object oriented variant, ADD 1 TO COBOL?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hahahahahahahahaha

because if we learned one thing from JavaScript, it's that languages with weird interpretations of OOP are the future

NewtonScript was Pascal-flavored JavaScript before JavaScript existed, and precisely as many people used it as you'd expect, because prototype-based inheritance sounds cool in a journal paper but in the real world everyone expects classes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

golang has a weird interpretation of oop? years ago one argument that was made to me was that golang is the new language that will supply the oop needs for the future and since then I just assumed it was kinda like c++

it only has interfaces, not classes, and also has no inheritance.

(also no generics, but we've gotten by just fine without them for 40 years in Smalltalk and 25 in ObjC.)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

maybe just down here in florida then

friday: "we will keep your resume in our system"
monday: "we would like to begin the interview process, here take this personality test on our website"

Florida you say, would that be near Clearwater?

be wary of "personality tests"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Seaside Loafer posted:

So would it be fair to say eclipse is the most used but intellij is better? This is for a small project and it looks like the free version will do what I need.

even I as a total ObjC partisan will say use IntelliJ if you have to do Java

I never did enough Java with WebObjects (or Cocoa Java, lol) to want to use IntelliJ instead of PBX but if I'd continued doing that kind of stuff I'd have done what every other consultant I knew from the time did and buy a personal IntelliJ license to use on every project I touched

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Careful Drums posted:

so i need to make a dead simple api. it has only one endpoint, and the result is going to be a json object with a name and a date and a time. it will accomplish this by querying some database table full of datetimes and names and returning the next closest one in the future.

I would say .NET but I don't want to pay for azure for it. What is the most :effort: way to accomplish this with a p-lang? I was thinking Rails but idk.

if it's really just a single JSON object with a date and time from a single table then just do it in a couple lines of PHP or whatever, who cares if you have infrastructure or scaling or any other poo poo

hell you could even use SQLite instead of MySQL/PostgreSQL for your DB

the second you need more then start thinking about picking a technology and building a real app but if that's all it is don't waste your time on trivialities

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

theadder posted:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

about to embark on some swift

this is v good

welcome to the future!

designed in California

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

about to embark on some swift

word of advice: don't get lost in "OMG gotta be pure" land, unless you're specifically trying to explore what's possible in the language

if you're just trying to get poo poo done, just "import Foundation" and use the OS X/iOS frameworks, don't try to reinvent the world

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

why would you use a platform specific programming language if you dont want to use the apple frameworks?

I couldn't tell you

but I've definitely seen that some people seem to have a thing for "no I want to do this all in pure Swift" and that's just silly, it's like saying "no I want to use pure C, no stdlib or OS" when writing something to run on Unix.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

Actually it's very funny.

certainly is

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

qntm posted:

code:

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  14:09:21 a.m.      CUSTOMER DATA ENTRY FORM             16/25/2007 |
|                     ------------------------                        |
|                                                                     |
|  NAME:      _____________         +-----------------------------+   |
|  FIRSTNAME: _____________         |NBR ISN PRED-ID COLOUR COLOUR|   |
|  SEX        _____________         |--- --- ------- ------ ------|   |
|  STREETADR: _____________         |  1 FGC 8797899    RED    RED|   |
|  POSTCODE:  _____________         |  2 BRK 4389793  GREEN  GREEN|   |
|  CITY:      _____________         |  3 TT0 3495434  PRPLE  PRPLE|   |
|  COUNTRY:   _____________         |  4 T00  345345  CHAIR  CHAIR|   |
|  SEX:       _____________         |  5 007 3454355    BLU    BLU|   |
|  DOB:       _____________         +-----------------------------+   |
|  TEL:       _____________                                           |
|  TELEX:     _____________         POWERED BY: COBOL ON COGS         |
|                        ***DYNAMIC ACCESS***                         |
|  0000000: 4153 4349 4928 3729 2020 2020 2020 2020                   |
|  0000010: 2020 2020 2042 5344 204d 6973 6365 6c6c    <----------!   |
|  0000020: 616e 656f 7573 2049 6e66 6f72 6d61 7469                   |
|  0000030: 6f6e 204d 616e 7561 6c20 2020 2020 2020                   |
|  0000040: 2020 2020 2020 4153 4349 4928 3729 0a0a                   |
|  0000050: 4e08 4e41 0841 4d08 4d45 0845 0a20 2020                   |
|  0000060: 2020 6108 6173 0873 6308 6369 0869 6908                   |
|Enter-F1---F2---F3---F4---F5---F6---F7---F8---F9---F10---F11---F12---|
|      HLP  FRWD BCK  CLC  ETX  DC1  DC2  DC3  DC4  BLAH  FCKU  LoB   |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

I'm the colour CHAIR

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Papes posted:

what's the best resource for learning how to use laTex?

a few pages old, but I just read the book and did a few examples from it on my own system to get used to the tools and style. I also used an editor with great LaTeX support at the time (Alpha), which helped a lot.

hard to believe the OS, Alpha, a reasonably complete TeX distribution, GhostScript, and a ton of other stuff (including Eudora, Netscape, NiftyTelnet, CodeWarrior, Lotus 1-2-3, and WordPerfect) fit and ran well on a 25 MHz 68040 with 120 MB of disk.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Dr Monkeysee posted:

git is really cool and useful but its learning curve is garbage and it's entirely self-inflicted by the autism of the people who invented git. commit history curation is the worst form of bike-shedding and the only useful case for it is removing all the fucks when open-sourcing a long-running codebase.

the commit janitoring is about the only worthwhile thing in git relative to the system that defined the model it implements (arch) or any of its other implementations (hg, bzr, veracity)

basically if veracity hadn't been stillborn and had embraced (local pre-push) rebase than rejecting it out of hand, it would've been the ultimate SCM:

- arch model for contents
- hashes for identity with repo-local sequence numbers for convenience
- versioned hierarchy and metadata distinct from versioned contents (e.g. "rename" is a real thing not a heuristic, and empty directories are allowed)
- pluggable storage back-ends
- non-GPL license
- platform-agnostic C implementation (instead of a pile of shell or Python scripts)

alas, Eric Sink decided to take a strong stand against rebase, so the git people who might have paid attention to something that could be described as "git but better" wrote it off, and he decided to overdose on other features like integrated web servers and bug tracking so it otherwise didn't make much progress

it's kind of like perforce partisans will either say "you can configure that" when you bring up how dumb "p4 edit" is in TYOOL 2014—never mind that nobody does—or insist that everything is better that way when the industry's experience shows otherwise. some people just react irrationally against pre-push rebasing and it prevents us from having nice things.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

rotor posted:

I don't understand why people use github in a world where gitlab exists

gitlab perf can be pretty variable, but it got much better in recent versions.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

glassdoor for this company says "they pay peanuts and if you try to negotiate they'll rescind the offer the next day and call up the next guy but at least they offer full benefits"

glassdoor posters' "peanuts" might be plenty forgot when combined with getting out of retail and building a résumé, so if the number looks good to you (given your expenses, including the expenses you'll incur due to a commute) and not terribly out of line for the industry and location, just take it

once you have enough experience to not look like a job hopper, you'll be able to negotiate at your next job, being a little underpaid isn't terrible especially at first, without a work history there's not much to back up a negotiation

if they're offering barely above retail though, gently caress em, let them take the next sucker

quote:

apparently they also hire on the logan's run principle which may be illegal idk

Logan's run principle? only thing I can think of would be age discrimination which is def illegal but can be hard to prove

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

rotor posted:

yeah basically someone looked at the reflection API and had an idea then poo poo all over themselves

Java beans are proto-dependency-injection. having a zero-argument constructor and getter/setter pairs with well-defined names means you can wire up an object graph using a config file rather than by writing code.

it's actually not quite sufficient for that purpose—you also need an "awake" mechanism after the entire graph is constructed to establish non-hierarchical relationships—but the Java people didn't get that at first. then when they did get it, they went full enterprise on the problem space.

basically, someone working on Java at Sun looked at how Interface Builder worked in NEXTSTEP and realized they could do something similar. might have been Patrick Naughton because that was kind of his thing. (that and jail!)

(note that this is also the story of how IFC was created and then turned into Swing: "NeXT did this and we have similar capabilities in Java! oh, hey, that worked, now let's have a different group enterprise the gently caress out of it!")

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MeruFM posted:

ah yes, let me use this complex algorithm that someone spent 5 minutes thinking of and 20 minutes to write

someday autonomous corporations will attempt to self-improve by ordering the development of additional modules via services like topcoder

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Valeyard posted:

That's pretty cool but would first years really be like that? I thought that would be the best time to introduce them to a functional language before they have much/any experience with programming in general

that depends on your first years obv, when I was in school a large percentage of us going into computer science had many years of programming already under our belts (10 for me and many others who had learned Logo in elementary school)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Space Whale posted:

At a job I've been at a week and a day I did a hour long presentation on intro to git, since our architect decided to move to git and he's 4 hours away, and I'm the guy in the office teaching people the verbs and work flows and helping set poo poo up and fixing merges. Either that, or I just jabbered on for a loving hour and used that d3 visualization tool to lure people into the pit of hell.

why not both?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I like dvcs but I do not understand how git came out the winner

linus worship

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Stringent posted:

i wonder if there's some other forum where some dude 10 years older than rotor is vociferously defending cvs

I'm actually on that list (not forum) and it has not just CVS but RCS/SCCS adherents and ClearCase (or was it PVCS?) advocates

people who consider locking everyone else out of a file while it's being edited by one person a serious advantage

who think sharing should code be done via a shared filesystem - and possibly sharing build intermediates too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

wolffenstein posted:

i guess i should jump ship but given my troublesome employment history, i think its best to stick it out for at least a year before moving. or finding a less sad brains-inducing career. i just wanna be like tef. thanks for reading.

using a VM to do your black voodoo magic debugging sounds like a step on the way to being like tef, especially in that small pond, sticking it out for a year could see you leading or managing things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Soricidus posted:

have you tried whisky until the pain goes away

Olin Shivers posted:

I couldn't get through the day as it is without the Prozac and Jack Daniels I keep on the shelf, behind my Tops-20 JSYS manuals. I start getting the shakes real bad around 10am, right before my advisor meetings. A 10 oz. Jack 'n Zac helps me get through the meetings without one of my students winding up with his severed head in a bowling-ball bag.

from the scsh manual, of course. wonder what Olin is up to these days…

• Locked thread