Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bing maps UI is still pretty drat terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MononcQc posted:

I like when people say timezones offsets are easy,

Just look at Boost::Date_Time, you can neither determine the time zone of the host OS or convert from UTC but you can convert to UTC.

Time zone handling in C++ is balls.

Here's a chunky big data system that receives data in one time zone, runs in another, has calendars in a third and receives queries in combinations of the above.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Inflict pain upon others: I've started a new project with million dollar data fees and playing with Python, Java, and Go, linking them all up with 0mq and Google's protocol buffers. Public interface is a web service exported via Mongrel2.

I've only ever used Python as part of Scons, I've only written one Java application for JDK 1.3 hacking some news protocol 10 years ago, and first time to look at Go.

I'm using Java for Glassfish's WSDL import as Go has nothing, I'm using Python as Mongrel2 ships with a Python module and I'm too lazy to rewrite it in Go.

Less than a week for a functional prototype. I'm wondering if there is some retarded way to get Haskell or other arcane language in there.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Symbolic Butt posted:

the Unix environment is my IDE

I'm a wizard bitches

Uses his magic to hold test tubes without a thumb, not advanced enough to hold a test tube with no fingers.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Jerry SanDisky posted:

C++14 has make_unique, std::optional, and generic lambdas

my body is ready

Does MSVC2012 beta support any of these? I'll be over in an instant. Or just wait for the next Boost. Microsoft's std::unordered_map is not very good.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Thread pools are just horrendous boiler plate above a decent message passing system. Just look what Microsoft did with the API launched in Vista:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms686766(v=vs.85).aspx

I cannot believe anyone uses any of that. I already noted the timer API is actually broken when using NTP.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Thread pools are also an anachronism to the cloud, I can't recall a single implementation that allows you to scale out across the network.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Nomnom Cookie posted:

u mean timers firing incorrectly? what if you specify duration rather than a due time. thats really lol if they gently caress up durations but what can the system do when wall clock time changes, other than roll with the punches

Almost any timer mechanism:

code:
while (true)
  do something
  sleep until (last timestamp + duration)
Microsoft thread pools, which have explicit "support" for very long running tasks and high accuracy - Windows will spin a thread 100% waiting for the due time:

code:
while(true)
  do something
  sleep (duration)
There is absolutely no point using a fancy high cost thread pool timer if you are going to gently caress up the basics of timing.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Does Google like terrible programmers?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mido posted:

Do bears write python in the woods?

Some crazy Googler contacted me for an interview tomorrow so I'll find out.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

They asked yesterday what is 224? I blasphemed and opened up Windows Calculator ...

Unfortunately I worked out two ways to calculate it in my head afterwards.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bloody posted:

2^10 * 2^10 * 2^4?

212 * 212 was easy for me, first time I just counted on my fingers and that worked.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Morkai posted:

lol you just work with incompetent sysadmins.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 26, 2013

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

This is kind of entertaining, four developers are being pointed towards a two-day training on some visualisation toolkit, they have been provided with a list of questions and tasks to do before hand like write Fizz Buzz.

quote:

The Training is aimed for professional developers only.
e.g. Those that can answer the questions on the attached pdf.
Those that cannot should NOT attend.

Anybody that disrupts the training session, as determined by the trainer, will be asked to leave.

Additionally:
* Wifi/network access will not be provided.
* Mobile/Cell phones must be switched off during the training sessions. This is to ensure attendees focus on the training, and not performing other tasks (as has occurred in past training sessions).

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 26, 2013

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's just COW but for reading first time?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

cacoo.com is pretty ok, libreoffice draw can read Visio files but I'm not sure I would want to try creating something in it.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Nomnom Cookie posted:

linux is great for employing autistic sysadmins willing to memorize a million idiosyncratic quirks accumulated since 1970 and terrible in almost every other way

Because Windows Server 2012 R2 and Powershell is totally better in every way.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Remember Apple officially only supports the command line on the server, despite having a rather nice UI at times.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shaggar posted:

ant is so bad.

ant is better than batch files, looks at $30 million software project :rolleye:

colossal loving mess, a batch file (not command file) that only works on a desktop, spawns extra prompts that sleep and poll for files to determine when certain stages are complete.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I wrote this, there must be something better?
Java code:
private class FlaggedHandle {
	private Handle handle;
	private boolean flag;

public FlaggedHandle (Handle handle) {
		this.handle = handle;
		this.flag = false;
	}

public Handle getHandle() {
		return this.handle;
	}

public boolean isFlagged() {
		return this.flag;
	}

public void setFlag() {
		this.flag = true;
	}
}

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shaggar posted:

re: flagged handle thing. if you cant alter Handle extending it is probably the best way to go if you want your flagged handle to be usable anywhere normal handle is used. if you can modify handle you have more options depending on what the flag means

It's an interface from some proprietary API, a gigantic big black hole. Thanks all.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Because the Internets routers will drop it. Thus Google made SPDY which is pretty much SCTP in user space.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

suffix posted:

what i've heard is browsers will try to store up all the dom changes and do one redraw when your code returns, but i don't know if there's any guarantee

There's better chance when executing after a RAF call.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i never understood vcs integration into an ide. what's the point?

VS2013 tries to add value, there is a video where they show working on a project: receiving a bug then the IDE saves the workspace and creates a clean copy to checkout the release revision, fixes the bug and commits, then reverts to the old workspace.

Shelveset it is apparently called. I guess its a visual git stash?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

suffix posted:

did this get poste here? it's a nice little script injection 101

https://xss-game.appspot.com/

Why don't script tags work on level 2?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

var that = this;

cause bind() is voodoo to some people I guess

Isn't it backbone.js littered everywhere with var me = this.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's idiot schema already, just do whatever to fix it.

Depends how frequently the data updates, one could leave the intermediate tables permanently in place and use triggers to update.

You could always stuff temporary tables behind a materialized view, unless its SQL Server and you probably have to fake it anyway.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

how did the internet even work before json??

Flash and ActiveX. Closet intranets haven't really changed that much considering.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

You can find software I have developed in many different stock exchanges, banks, and large companies from IBM, NYSE, to Telstra, Levis, and the BBC; I get paid six figures and work in a large office with a nice view of Times Square. I have failed every single developer interview I have ever taken.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

rotor posted:

like, just find a problem you faced and ask them how they'd fix it. talk to em. watch em write the codes. you ain't gotta make up some weird rear end nerd problem to solve, just talk about the poo poo you, you know, the poo poo you actually do.

I like this: the majority of my Google interviews were like this, then they pulled out some retarded poo poo about path routing on the moon or capacity planning of a log server that received all of 100 entries a second.

BONGHITZ posted:

but how many confirmed kills do you have?

A lot of people think I work with the Chinese mafia :ssh: That's the excuse on why I was rejected on a recent co-op board approval, you can't make this poo poo up.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Brain Candy posted:

the only time i've seen xor swap in the wild was for some ancient c

this was the implementation
code:
x^=y^=x^=y;
hmmmmmmm, why didn't this code produce the same results with the new compiler, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

For shits and giggles I added a XOR swap to my code to permanently sit there disabled by a macro:

code:
#ifdef USE_XOR_SWAP
/* whilst cute the xor swap is quite slow */
#define SWAP(a, b)      (((a) ^= (b)), ((b) ^= (a)), ((a) ^= (b)))
#else
#define SWAP(a, b)      do { const pgm_gf8_t _t = (b); (b) = (a); (a) = _t; } while (0)
#endif
https://code.google.com/p/openpgm/source/browse/trunk/openpgm/pgm/reed_solomon.c#136

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Don't you just grab a piece of paper and draw lines for the cars? :confuoot:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I wouldn't mind if Fortran was just used for spiffy math functions, then embed into a C++ or C# app for the integration. Did someone write a Fortran compiler for JVM yet?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bloody posted:

Yeah sure boss I'll whip up a quick gui for that

Ships him an entire Web server and a shortcut to 127.0.0.1:6858

No boss that's the app it runs in the browser because that's how you make good uis

Chromium 40 makes this even easier, you can implement a server as an extension with service workers hooking every call. I presume that helps AdBlock.

I actually shipped webuis with a single small JAR file, a colleague has similar with a Windows EXE that also supports web sockets. Pretty nifty actually as you can deploy remotely.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

fart simpson posted:

i'm pretty sure taobao used to use unicode and recently switched away from using it, lol

GB-2312 encoding is a joke too. A superset of multiple encodings that still doesn't include Traditional Chinese. What takes the piss is that unsurprisingly China and Hong Kong & Taiwan tend to communicate a lot so sending raw byte streams of a lovely encoding that doesn't work the other end is a bad idea (TM). Chinese SMTP servers do not tag their email as GB2312, and many HTTP servers don't advertise either.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 10, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Did they push out a Maven build that supports Java 8 yet? Because :lol:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Have a look at the new MySQL, MariaDB supported functionality, one of them has dynamic column support and I recall some DB supporting JSON column types.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

With the MySQL setup you can go crazy with foreign keys across the JSON datasets which would provide the protection.

Other than that start removing query permissions and enforcing usage of stored procedures. Replace the denormalized tables with views and make use of virtual columns when needed. If non-MySQL you use a materialized view to accelerate the performance when required.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Luigi Thirty posted:

:laffo:

we are making video game. you must have experience with every technology ever. also you must know linux, mac, and windows. no we won't pay you, if you want money gently caress off.

:lol: an intern that literally is doing all the work? nice business model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Is there a remote editing mode that doesn't download the entire file over some head-of-line blocking protocol? No one gives a poo poo, so mosh+vim forever.

• Locked thread