Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

chumpchous posted:

numbers as objects is cool, it lets you do things like
code:
class Numeric
   def prime?
      #find if self is prime, return bool
   end
end

3.prime?
=> true
of course overriding base classes is a terrible idea if you're working on a large codebase but it makes personal projects like project euler a lot of fun

lol most definitely. the mixins I wrote overriding Numeric was some fun poo poo

loving around p-langs is bliss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

*pays 70 dollars for a text editor*

*calls other programmers autistic*

my primary reason for using sublime is that it makes me feel good. if feeling good isnt worth 70 bucks you're probably autistic

plus it's free if you just hit cancel now and then

(i got contract to pay for my sublime and my SFTP text so heh)

[the contract was my dad's website]

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 24, 2013

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

chumpchous posted:

my primary reason for using sublime is that it makes me feel good. if feeling good isnt worth 70 bucks you're probably autistic

plus it's free if you just hit cancel now and then

(i got contract to pay for my sublime and my SFTP text so heh)

[the contract was my dad's website]

70 bucks spent on a text editor is 70 bucks not spent on literally anything else. but hey, keep defending your purchase

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

coffeetable posted:

i am using eclipse to write python code for some personal projects

does this make me a bad person

should i take the time (b/c these projects aren't particularly urgent) to swot up on vim/emacs/whatever it is the cool kids swear by

vim is excellent; sublime is excellent; wingware is excellent

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
use the most excellent text editor that doesnt require that you pay some devs that require their users pay 70 bucks for a text editor in 2013 (the correct choice is vim)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
rule 36 pay lots ofmoney for expensive poo poo purely because u can. usblime supremacy. wtf are u rms lmao

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

70 bucks spent on a text editor is 70 bucks not spent on literally anything else. but hey, keep defending your purchase

*spends a thousand dollars on steam games*

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Steam games provide value. There's no such thing as a text editor worth paying for.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

Steam games provide value. There's no such thing as a text editor worth paying for.

visual studio? how about intellij idea?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
aight, next, more general terrible-programmer question: i recently dropped out of my phd, and plan to start applyin for software jobs in the fall. thing is, all my programming experience has been in an academic setting, so most everything ive written was by myself for myself.

now ive got a couple of projects in mind for the summer so that ill have an example or two to point to in interviews, and i plan to stick my head into an open source project to get a sense of how bigger programs roll. beyond that though, there any reading you'd recommend on Not Being A lovely Programmer In a Team Environment? are there any open-source projects that are particularly well structured/written/managed that i'd do well to look at as an example of how it's done?

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

rule 36 pay lots ofmoney for expensive poo poo purely because u can. usblime supremacy. wtf are u rms lmao

same except unironically

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
do you guys remember the yospos dude that signed up for blackpeopledating.com as a mother of 5 or whatever who only looked after like 1 of her kids (i.e. loads of red flags) and stood loads of people up on dates

literally paid a like $20/mo subscription just to do that

yospos bitch

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

do you guys remember the yospos dude that signed up for blackpeopledating.com as a mother of 5 or whatever who only looked after like 1 of her kids (i.e. loads of red flags) and stood loads of people up on dates

yospos bitch

lmao if you paid money to do that

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

yospos bitch

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

prefect posted:

visual studio? how about intellij idea?

Those are IDEs.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

Those are IDEs.

where do you draw the line? is it the step-through-debugging that marks the conversion from "editor with features" to "ide"?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Also project management

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

prefect posted:

where do you draw the line? is it the step-through-debugging that marks the conversion from "editor with features" to "ide"?

if it debugs then it's not a text editor, it's an ide. an ide contains many tools for purposes which are not related to the editing of text. a text editor is to do with editing text, so to speak.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

so you spend a huge amount of time trying to mimic IDE features in a "text editor" using half assed open source plugins rather than just paying people to make your life easier with a well thought out modern tool for developers

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i honestly just like vim more than i like other text editors and i get irl pissy if i cant do every single vim command i use when editing text

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the Unix environment is my IDE

I'm a wizard bitches

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Use BBEdit (or TextWrangler if you're a rule 36er) for editing text and writing dumb p-lang poo poo.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

polpotpi posted:

so you spend a huge amount of time trying to mimic IDE features in a "text editor" using half assed open source plugins rather than just paying people to make your life easier with a well thought out modern tool for developers

what features does vim try to mimic from an IDE (apart from the editing text part which just established was a key feature of a Text Editor)

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

the Unix environment is my IDE

I'm a wizard bitches

i really want this poster

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I use vim and also I hate myself for using it and not bothering to make any effort to try something else.

tbf it doesn't matter really

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
apparently the originals sell for like 500 bucks on ebay lmao

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I think vim is more like a drug, once an addict you'll never be clean so kids don't do vim

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

just use gvim idiots

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

what features does vim try to mimic from an IDE (apart from the editing text part which just established was a key feature of a Text Editor)

vim doesn't but everyone who uses vim fills it with garbage plugins to mimic things that are naturally part of a GUI IDE

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

polpotpi posted:

vim doesn't but everyone who uses vim fills it with garbage plugins to mimic things that are naturally part of a GUI IDE

I don't do that but I know what you're saying, it's like this silly guy here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhqsjUUHj6g

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

polpotpi posted:

yeah lmao at people who actually do this

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

I don't do that but I know what you're saying, it's like this silly guy here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhqsjUUHj6g

i skimmed but he basically set up a vimrc and has a couple of plugins.

guy doesnt even have fugitive/git-gutter on there

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

plangers use vim because plangs dont have ides so they try to make one

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

unfortunately I'm agreeing with sulk on this topic

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

FamDav posted:

i skimmed but he basically set up a vimrc and has a couple of plugins.

guy doesnt even have fugitive/git-gutter on there

he seems too clueless about simple commands and he's already changing a lot of poo poo geeeeez

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

another reason may be to help programmers feel better about themselves that they've forced themselves to master 30 year old arcane bullshit programs that normal people can't/don't want to use

i'm trying to keep an open mind about it

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
its me. im the guy making fun of expensive software your clients should be buying you anyways even if you dont need it.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
oh then lol.

i was put in charge of the default vimrc for work and it amounts to

the syntax highlighting/indenting/stuff on
tabs to spaces so you dont gently caress up our bespoke codebase
comma leader
double-j for exiting insert mode
semicolon to colon
unmap arrows :getin:

and if people get bored and want help then i show them how to set up vundle and go hog wild.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

polpotpi posted:

another reason may be to help programmers feel better about themselves that they've forced themselves to master 30 year old arcane bullshit programs that normal people can't/don't want to use

i'm trying to keep an open mind about it

basic vim knowledge is okay for when you absolutely have to use it for some dumb reason but there isn't really any reason to not use a modern solution unless, again, you use a terrible plang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

excuse me, please remove "terrible" from that sentence as it is causing redundancy

• Locked thread