Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
also if you program c++ and haven't read effective c++ then you know literally nothing about c++. c++ is such a goddamn amazing language. Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
wow it's almost as if Microsoft is an awful company that produces awful proprietary software designed to keep their awful users/devs locked into the platform. goddamn can we get a mod in here???

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
if ur work allows you to use c++11 then u my friend have a good job

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
we have 2 platforms that our c++ code has to compile on before it gets into production, one of which uses an ancient gcc extension that still complains if u don't specify a compile time const value when u initialise arrays.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Jerry SanDisky posted:

use a vector and then just pass around the underlying array to whatever c bits you have. since you probably don't have c++11 on that platform, you can do a fake version of data() by passing around &front()

boost::scoped_array m8

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Jerry SanDisky posted:

even msvc has std::array, how old is your compiler

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

ancient gcc extension that still complains if u don't specify a compile time const value when u initialise arrays.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
also, our 'modern' platforms for real can't use any c++11 features cos we still have some boxes on rhel4

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

uG posted:

truly the terrible programmer safe zone/hideout

now that you're here

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

uG posted:

i use sublime text on windows 7

lol

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

chumpchous posted:

just use sublime text

it's the perfect editor for the choosy programmer who is not crippled by autism

lmao

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
*pays 70 dollars for a text editor*

*calls other programmers autistic*

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
just use gvim idiots

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

chumpchous posted:

my primary reason for using sublime is that it makes me feel good. if feeling good isnt worth 70 bucks you're probably autistic

plus it's free if you just hit cancel now and then

(i got contract to pay for my sublime and my SFTP text so heh)

[the contract was my dad's website]

70 bucks spent on a text editor is 70 bucks not spent on literally anything else. but hey, keep defending your purchase

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
use the most excellent text editor that doesnt require that you pay some devs that require their users pay 70 bucks for a text editor in 2013 (the correct choice is vim)

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

do you guys remember the yospos dude that signed up for blackpeopledating.com as a mother of 5 or whatever who only looked after like 1 of her kids (i.e. loads of red flags) and stood loads of people up on dates

literally paid a like $20/mo subscription just to do that

yospos bitch

lmao if you paid money to do that

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

prefect posted:

where do you draw the line? is it the step-through-debugging that marks the conversion from "editor with features" to "ide"?

if it debugs then it's not a text editor, it's an ide. an ide contains many tools for purposes which are not related to the editing of text. a text editor is to do with editing text, so to speak.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

polpotpi posted:

so you spend a huge amount of time trying to mimic IDE features in a "text editor" using half assed open source plugins rather than just paying people to make your life easier with a well thought out modern tool for developers

what features does vim try to mimic from an IDE (apart from the editing text part which just established was a key feature of a Text Editor)

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

the Unix environment is my IDE

I'm a wizard bitches

i really want this poster

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
apparently the originals sell for like 500 bucks on ebay lmao

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

polpotpi posted:

vim doesn't but everyone who uses vim fills it with garbage plugins to mimic things that are naturally part of a GUI IDE

yeah lmao at people who actually do this

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

gucci void main posted:

excuse me, please remove "terrible" from that sentence as it is causing redundancy

can we get a :sulksay: emote??

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Shaggar posted:

Actually in programming there are right and wrong ways to do things. Using a text editor for "coding" is a common symptom of doing-things-wrong.

same but replace 'text editor' with 'lovely 70 dollar program that does the exact same thing as programs 40 years its senior'

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

we have 2 platforms that our c++ code has to compile on before it gets into production, one of which uses an ancient gcc extension that still complains if u don't specify a compile time const value when u initialise arrays.

holy poo poo

bad programmer (me) expose time

C++ standard requires compile time constants for all arrays wow this is embarassing gently caress u g++ for misleading me for years

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
c++14 has VLAs and std::dynarray as a wrapper around VLAs but implementations don't have to allocate them on the stack

must be cool not knowing whether your vla has been declared on the heap or not

C++14 is bad

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
i really wish i could use c++11 at work

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
even if i could, i wouldn't be surprised if work disabled half the features anyway for compilation time reasons

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
my posts are web scale

they are read by thousands of people each day

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
why would they give any fucks about a thing that happens once or twice a year and is for undergraduates

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
lmao if you are intimitely knowledgable about when and how your school's systems fail

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

qntm posted:

unfortunately it's definitely somebody else's main responsibility

i think this every time i debug boost code and thinking about how people even code like that

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
idk about work but he was boost as gently caress

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
just saying

JavaScript is a bad language

this is absolutely not up for debate

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
cURLing in the tcp stack

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
hi hello terrible programmers what terrible programs have you made recently? post em all here.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

~Coxy posted:

shaggar was right

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
a corner case, if you will

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
just use vim and command line mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
expanding your tabs into spaces owns because it means everyone reads the code precisely the same as you wrote it

using either doesn't rly matter at all tbh, just don't mix them. our company's entire code standard policy is literally the phrase "when in Rome"

• Locked thread