Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

eax.mov(esp.asAddr())

EVERYTHING is an object :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i like vim cause every fuckin thing has vim on it + you can trick out your local copy

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

vim is my go-to log analysis tool

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Socracheese posted:

vim owns but use tail -f for this

by log analysis i mean look at a 100,000 line log file to figure out why something didn't work right

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Ronald Raiden posted:

when did sulk start thinking he had any ground to stand on? Looks like hes been talking some poo poo in this thread. Who is in charge here? Someone needs to clean up this mess.

someone gave him a paycheck so his ego got all puffy. inflamed zit ego

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Jerry SanDisky posted:

perfectly cromulent code doesn't compile because microsoft is years behind apple and foss neckbeards

C++ code:
int main() {
	auto foo = vector<string>{"visual", "c++", "doesnt", "work"};
	copy(begin(foo), end(foo), ostream_iterator<string>{cout, " "});
}

what is this you posted. is it vomit

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

shoulda used autotools

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

maybe they dgaf cause gently caress undergrads

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

hmm whats more likely. pissed off undergrad applies for transfer, is accepted, actually goes through with it

OR

pissed off undergrad gets drunk, forgets all about registering, begs profs on the first day of classes to let them register for the now-full classes they want

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

lmao if you are intimitely knowledgable about when and how your school's systems fail

i was honor roll every semester and got to register before the unwashed masses :smug:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

90% of my vimrc is things i put in but never used. the other 10% gets in my way but im too lazy to take it out

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

polpotpi posted:

javascript is the only language versatile enough to be used on the fronted and backend. the goddamn internet runs on javascript. you can get paid to write functional code in javascript.

i dunno how anyone can not like js

it's poo poo jerry, poo poo

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

prefect posted:

semi-serious question: what's the serious engineer-scientist opinion of things like ip, tcp, and http? are those masterpieces of engineering design, or are there chunks of them that are the equivalent of spit and baling wire, things that work despite themselves?

the intersection of things that are elegant with things that are used is basically nil

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO KLUDGE

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

go does closures properly *and* has a really novel and useful take on OOP. you can think of it as "C done right" or alternately "javascript made by people who have a clue"

it even has language support for maps (that's a computer scientist way of saying "hash table" for you p-langers) so if you're coming from a bad language you can just dive right in and poo poo out code like nobody's business

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

unit tests is requirements with code inside

-- a thing dumb babby p-langers say

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

The actual most important thing about a language is available libraries. This makes java/scala the best language for any purpose permitting a jvm

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

Most of the popular java libs have c# versions or standard library equivalents these days.

Lord prevent me from encountering a problem the C# stdlib can solve

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

chumpchous posted:

ruby's active record/active support/active model libraries are so good i cant imagine ever needing anything else

Wow rails has static typing? People really aren't kidding when they say rails programmers don't know ruby

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bloody posted:

im struggling to think of a problem the c# stdlib can't solve

maybe i just hate programming then

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

tef posted:

you only need to read it once it's basically the same three arguments over and over again

-- checked exceptions
-- plangs vs jlangs
-- hay is java pass by value or pass by reference

java is pass by value ofc

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ya references are passed by value. a java reference is basically a pointer that the compiler dereferences for you

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

infact thats the #1 thing about java i wish someone had told me: references and objects are completely different things and the syntax muddles the distinction but its still there. like when u get that the type of a reference is different from the type of an object, then all kinds of stuff like polymorphism and type erasure are ez (i still dont remember why u cant make an array of generics tho...something to do with arrays being covariant)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

JewKiller 3000 posted:

iirc it's because java's incorrect array covariance in static type checking requires extra runtime type checks on array writes, and generic types are erased at runtime

o yeah...thats hosed. its weird, java is mostly really solid but theres poo poo in there like array covariance and type erasure thats just wtf. y did u do this, gosling. u broke ur language :(

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

wolffenstein posted:

i already got feedback from g+ yospos folks and I'm still wary of revealing my irl identity even though i mention sa or yospos in several of my github repos.

its loving frustrating companies need engineers badly but have only phd level jobs. a bs in cs doesn't mean poo poo anymore.

where the hell are you employers in DC are desperate for anyone with a CS degree and a pulse to poo poo out code for them

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

its not san francisco but theres lots of job openings

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bloody posted:

oh, so not much, nevermind

no you don't make six figures with a bachelor's and 0 experience

gucci void main posted:

DC is basically the south so why would you want to live there

its not san francisco but theres lots of job openings

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bloody posted:

what about a master's and im not a cs im an engineer i actually have skills

gently caress if I know maybe the govt hires engineers or smth. You mean like ME or EE? My sister works for NSA with a masters in CompE. If you can pass the background check for TS/SCI clearance you could probably get a MIC job. NTSB hires a lot of automotive engineers ofc.

Also gently caress off, I'm a CS major.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Mido posted:

the issue is that the gridview widget has some hardcoded behavior where it fills it's parent. Usually the issue with centering widgets is a child widget not being in "just wrap whatever your content needs" mode and it accidentally fills parent and you go "omfg why is my poo poo left aligned gently caress i told it to be center!" because it's the full possible width.

but even with a static column size there's no way to make it not just... fill horizontally, it will always fill horizontally as i spent a day testing the behavior. unless you set the entire width by hand (which is ugly to do since you shouldnt be working in pixel metrics but in a real life em-style measurement thing)

i mean i could get the viewable rect for the parent of the gridview and then divide it based on the # of columns im working with and do some dpi math to get things consistent across platforms but no matter what solution wins, i lose :(

basically gently caress everything

this is literally worse than css. good job google

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Singletons are so bad. I've had conversations with coworkers that basically ended with them saying "I just want one so I need a singleton"
:eng99:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Doc Block posted:

when did he mention traversing an array he doesn't know the size of? all he mentioned was using preprocessor defines on for loops and linked lists. he even said it turned out to be a dumb idea.

and
C code:
for(whatevertype *ptr = arrayptr; *ptr != NULL; ptr++) {
        /* whatever */
}
isn't any more code than any other for loop, and easily handles arrays of unknown size.

ya u document how the caller indicates the size/end of the array and after that it's on them if u try to scroll past the end of memory

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

spongeh posted:

Python was one of the initial projects included in the Coverity Scan service, which enables the open source community to find and fix critical quality and security defects in their code. Since 2006, Python has achieved a defect density of .005 (or .005 defects per 1,000 lines of code) and has eliminated all high-risk defects in its codebase.

p-langs win again

so coverity pays a dude to go through the cpython code and put #define COVERITY_IGNORE_THIS in the right places

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

otoh not too long ago ruby had an honest-to-god bug in Array's bounds checking. a p-lang that would let you smash the stack

then ruby-core hosed up fixing it lol

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bloody posted:

c thread s: implemented some simple boost::threading in my thing. compiles but needs testing. gently caress thread pools, i keep track of my threads in a vector and throw out used ones when they're done. when each thread will be running for at least ten minutes of 100% cpu work i don't care about whatever that overhead might be.

now i have to think about how i get my program output out of these threads

gently caress

put results in a queue. queues are so great for inter-thread communication, go hog wild with queues and pretend you're doing an erlang

and ya who cares if something is SO SLOOW ONO IT TAKES A MILLISEOND when you do it less than 10 times a second. thread pools are for stuff like I/O callbacks where starting a thread is a significant cost compared to the work ur doing

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Mido posted:

either use a premade thread safe fifo queue class thing or use mutexes smartly

java provides java.util.concurrent.BlockingQueue and several implementations

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

futures are dumb use promises

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

FamDav posted:

one of the rare blatantly wrong and uninformed posts in the pos

im studying for my Shaggar Certified Post Architect exam

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

MrMoo posted:

Thread pools are just horrendous boiler plate above a decent message passing system. Just look what Microsoft did with the API launched in Vista:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms686766(v=vs.85).aspx

I cannot believe anyone uses any of that. I already noted the timer API is actually broken when using NTP.

u mean timers firing incorrectly? what if you specify duration rather than a due time. thats really lol if they gently caress up durations but what can the system do when wall clock time changes, other than roll with the punches

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

use python. the GIL means python is inherently thread-safe

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Mido posted:

but no really stackless python is hells of sweet, you run functions as tasklets and they perform work and you can "yield" or "imbalance" that tasklet at any time and it'll halt execution and move on to the next one

it don't seem like much but it's neat for game programming because you can have an AI's think() function just run in an infinite while true: loop and yield() after it's done thinking, or if it needs to think more you just dont yield and keep looping, and you can set some watchdog parameters that dont let a tasklet run for more than X instructions before forcing execution onto the next thread

so its a good way to say, like, some_result = watchdog.run( game_object.solve_path_to(some_point) )
and maybe that solve_path_to will just run for a while without making all your poo poo lag

EVE uses it to make their servers run less like poo poo

edit:
babby's first concurrency model

actually eve is running away from python as fast as they can because they want the servers to not run like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

orms are always a good idea bc if you let your coworkers have a raw connection they'll never do anything but stringbuilder some sql

• Locked thread