Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Sorry op you aren't actually safe unless both hands are touching the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Looking at objective c's syntax and it looks pretty weird compared to java / c++. Is there a good book or website to learn objective c ,or would i be better off making little dumb programs on my own and use the official documentation?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

gucci void main posted:

it's not really that weird after about an hour. just read stephen kochan's programming in objective c book, as it's basically the bible for the language. it's not too hard to learn, the real difficulty is in getting used to using the cocoa framework as objc itself is completely useless without it.

Martytoof posted:

its not bad at all once you get used to seeing brackets everywhere. I actually like it more than straight C or whatever because it's not really any harder to read and its pretty clear what each arg is unless its some custom method that was written by a dumb dumb.

if you just want like a super quick intro then http://rypress.com/tutorials/objective-c/index.html is pretty okay. stephen kochan's programming in objective c was mentioned and it's great. the big nerd ranch books are okay but i didn't really like them all that much. if you learn better by watching a teacher explain poo poo then go to itunes u and look up stanford's CS193P.

Sweet, thanks. Now off to make the worlds most terrible app ™.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

I thought it was because the if statement was comparing two objects for equality which doesn't make any sense.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

I'm a student and I think java is pretty cool. Much better than c++ which some of my classes have used.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

So I'm a terrible programmer whose only done academia stuff so I have little knowledge about how "real" programs work.

I'm trying to put together a very simple shipment notification app for the iPhone. I've dug through the APIs of the major parcel carriers and I believe I just need to make a XML parser class (I'd use a library one obviously) and then receive and send messages to their respective websites through the XML parser?

Is this basically the gist of what I should do, or is there a way thats 10x easier that I don't know about.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Nomnom Cookie posted:

1. receive messages
2. send messages
3. parse XML

separation of concerns. read up on SOLID

then implement something with terrible design. if u can tell that ur doing something bad thats good enough for a babby dev. u get better with practice but u DONT get better from reading a text on UML and making diagrams for a month

Alright sweet thanks, just wanted to make sure I was at least kind of on the right track.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

NOTinuyasha posted:

would you say the time & money you spent learning "academia stuff" was worth it at all

Yeah probably. I learn a lot of nonsense but at the same time I might have been overwhelmed trying to learn it all myself at 18

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

So I'm a baddy programmer who is mostly familiar with Java. I have a phone screen for a junior .net position on friday. They are really similar but is there anything c# specific I should be reading up on? LINQ maybe?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

anyone fix the joins yet?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

I don't think the joins have been fixed yet. Check back later.

you know now that i think about it, that's probably why the forums have been busted lately. lotax had to fix the joins.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

just wrote a lil script to scrape the music thread and get all the links. i might mess with the youtube api and see if i can easily add these to a playlist, or is it easy enough to do on the site itself? i don't think i've ever made a playlist on there before.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz4D9vMpmI4I_GwnBUAxP9T-pCPDVL-Ko

So I realized that after I ran the script that I wasn't checking for duplicates, I dunno why that just never crossed my mind. There didn't appear to be an easy way to just remove all videos so I just kind of spot checked and removed as many dupes as I could be bothered to. It's me I'm the terrible programmer.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Whats a good resource for learning functional stuff? I saw that objc.io just put out a functional book in swift(their blogs are always really good so I imagine it's p good) but the price is a lil steep.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Valeyard posted:

...i think its slightly above useless so far

much unlike your posting

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

fart simpson posted:

i have a friend who i strongly suspect has an undiagnosed personality disorder who loves working at epic

game studio or the one who does medical software?

either way lol

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

fart simpson posted:

the medical software one

haha everytime i see my mom she bitches about how her hospital switched to something they do and how lovely it is

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

i'm a terrible programmer and google wants me to do a phone screen lol. lets see if i can become non terrible in a few weeks.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

i have dishonored my family

it's ok Mario will bail you at yet again

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

yeah luigi I'm also trying to find that first job. recruiters are p poo poo but still useful. that said both my in person interviews came from friend referrals so maybe they are just total poo poo idk

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

make a java web app that gives pug breeders a centralized place to sell their pugs

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

swift is pretty good imo, blows objective c out of the water.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

im a terrible programmer but i think my phone interview with google went pretty well :) , maybe they'll let me keep this farce up for an onsite.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

i don't know anyone who likes scala but i know people who like closure. never used it though but its confusing to try to read.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

what's the best resource for learning how to use laTex?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

I have been tasked with making an internal web app that is just a collection of forms that call various stored procedures. I'm using asp.net mvc and I get the gist but it seems that every online reference does it differently.

do I want the sql calls in the controllers or the model? the general consensus is that it goes in the controller but also fat controllers are also bad? also how many controllers do i want,1 per model?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Valeyard posted:

most of the grad job tests that they use as an initial screening are really fail, all those logic and reasoning things that make my thinkerbox hurt

the interviews i had around graduation i felt were fair. mostly questions about common data structures, writing tests, and explaining my thought process while trying to solve some problem. i guess i lucked out and never had one of the crazy ones you read about on the internet.

the easiest interview i had by far ended up being at the company i work at now. the interview pretty much went down like this:

interviewer: so <my friend> referred you to me, he says that you are a pretty good programmer
me: well pretty much all programmers are terrible, so that's a low bar to clear
*30 minutes of us mostly talking about basketball and what my role on the team would be*
A week later I got an offer.

I guess the moral of the story: getting a job is not so much of what you know, but who you know and how likeable you are.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

what's a good way to learn how to use linq

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

implementing sick algos from papes is literally my favorite thing in life

glad I could bring some enjoyment into your otherwise miserable life :mrgw:

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

I decided that node.js was good enough for me.

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

...things you people wouldn't believe. aws credentials in commits on github.

this happened in my senior year of college. this guy in our group had never used git before and he ended up committing files that had our credentials in it.

Amazon called him within 24 hours and told him not to do that poo poo again.

• Locked thread