Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

bobbilljim posted:

just rereg. your brand is tainted.

srsly

Luigi Thirty posted:

is it worse than quadruple sulk's dog

I'd say it was on par

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lots of places do contract to hire these days, unless you have an indication that they don't typically convert I wouldn't worry about it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

he places I know that use c2h do it primarily as an extended interview process so they don't have to be so fussy up front

I'm not saying there's not jerks who don't abuse it, just that there are reasonable use cases for it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

by advertising c2h, you guarantee that you will only get the most desperate candidates

not really, and it's really not the big deal you're making of it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean i know you were abused by startups and also big companies and probably medium sized companies too but c2h is a fairly normal thing, especially in areas where they're hiring help outside their core business and they're unsure how things may work out, and when they're hiring junior people like we have in this situation.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jimferd posted:

ok i have a dumb question.

i am a computer janitor in a data center / managed hosting place so i dont do a lot of programming (hey, its a job)

when i was in high school i wrote a lovely operating system with x86 assembly and c/c++ which was the most ridiculuously difficult way to learn how to program ever. i looked at the code for it a couple years ago and realized that not only was it garbage, but id forgotten most of how it works

so i want to get back to python since its the real big deal in the programming "scene" right now, but i have only done the spam eggs print something from a matrix bullshit

what can it do that is actually important? like what is it used for in the real world? i would like to learn it to get back into programming but it gets boring after a couple hours of loving around and printing stuff from a matrix

what is it good for in the real world? why should i learn it (and i dont mean, "because its easy and simple", i mean what can i do with it that is cool and real rather than just exercises)

ty for reading this long post

ps posting on pg 219

python can be used to write computer programs.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

BONGHITZ posted:

what can i do with computer programs?

nothing of any lasting value

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

buttbot is the only worthwhile software ever written

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

i thought the yospos standing orders were "don't answer unsolicited recruiter phone messages"

two of the best jobs I has were from unsolicited recruiter spam.

recruiters can be crap though so dont get your hopes up and don't kill yourself to make the interview. If it's 3 states away, fine, they can fly you out if they're so goddamn interested.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Arcsech posted:

some people want concise conCISE CONCISE because it makes them feel clever

I loving hate this poo poo. Be as long winded as you want, the compiler doesn't give a poo poo and maintainers will thank you for it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if your object is a left handed recursive descent decarbonator, I want the class named LeftHandedRecursiveDescentDecarbonator, not a LHRecDesDec

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i wrote a recursive worker that enqueues the next worker if it's not done with the task

now we get honey baadger reports that are extremely long. i feel bad about it. but i'm not sure that honey badger reports matter.

nothing named "honey badger" matters

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

is that true in jit languages? j/w

in some interpreted languages you'll pay a small penalty but who cares

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the lowest possible bar

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I had to maintain a little php thing and it wasn't awful

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

doing what you love for a living is a great way to make you hate what you used to love

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

BONGHITZ posted:

what is a working mans language for a working man?

Tef is right, Java. Or c# now I guess, we'll see how that works out.

what's weird is that when I was writing java the challenge was trying to make it use less memory now the challenge is getting it to use more.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Seaside Loafer posted:

for you java people whats the best ide for it at the moment?

it has been IntelliJ idea for like over a decade now

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

there's a guy at work who insists on writing all this enterprisey java we do in emacs and I'm like "why in gods name would you do that"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Soricidus posted:

sadly nobody actually uses intellij in the real world

that's a not true fact

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Soricidus posted:

still gonna say eclipse is the most popular though

worse is better wins again

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Malcolm XML posted:

eclipse is dogshit

this cannot be overstated

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Seaside Loafer posted:

So would it be fair to say eclipse is the most used but intellij is better?

it would be unfair because it doesn't do any justice to how incredibly poo poo eclipse is and how incredibly polished idea is

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Careful Drums posted:

so i need to make a dead simple api. it has only one endpoint, and the result is going to be a json object with a name and a date and a time. it will accomplish this by querying some database table full of datetimes and names and returning the next closest one in the future.

I would say .NET but I don't want to pay for azure for it. What is the most :effort: way to accomplish this with a p-lang? I was thinking Rails but idk.

node

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I liked werkzeug but I only did a toy app in it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Forgall posted:

How crippled is free version of Idea?

for a java-only editor it's fine. It's missing a bunch of the enterprisey stuff but meh.

http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/features/

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean also you are theoretically only supposed to write gnu tools with it also buuuuuuut

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

this is a pretty good attitude to take with web apps, as fashion trends dominate so much that much of the frontend ends up being rewritten as it turns out last year's one size fits all approach didn't work, so maybe this year's will

Tef is sometimes just grumpy but this is 100% true

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Necc0 posted:

start learning design patterns and be sure to sketch everything out on paper

use as many design patterns as you can - the more patterns you have in your design, the better it'll be

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

i have become much nicer to beginners when i realise how terrible the tools we expect them to use are

are you kidding me?? I had to BUY a compiler. With actual MONEY. And look up things in PRINTED MANUALS.

the tools for beginners are astoundingly good. it's the rate of change and the constant reinvention and the layers upon layers of indirection that we expect them to deal with that earns them my pity.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

yep

ps in ruby: let's all get to know bundler, gem, rbenv, brew, and ruby-build, and maybe git first just to run hello world and deploy it :toot:

aw ur just bein grumpy. half that stuff has always been and will always be needed, and the other half is, well, I don't know what the other half of it is, but it's probably bad.

counterpoint:

open the javascript console of the browser that came with your computer. there, you now have the tools needed to learn programming.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

in javascript :pranke:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

tbh if i am teaching basic computer stuff, i'll use scratch first to get the habits down and then bring them over to a more general purpose language if their projects need it

sure

I guess what I'm saying is the learning curve has basically inverted over the past ... what, say 25 years or so.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bloody posted:

Visual Studio is free now, c# is the best choice for everything, or should they have to gently caress around with useless command lines and terrible tools?

honestly I would be so loving happy to see c# replace java

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Valeyard posted:

c#..java..whats the difference

function objects and unmanaged code

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FamDav posted:

I'm confused why isn't software dev as real and as lovely a job as anything else?

I'm not sure what you mean by real but I've worked in warehouses and retail and print shops and assembly lines and I can safely say that being a programmer is cushy as hell. Maybe there are other jobs that are equally cushy, but I doubt they pay as well.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

dynamics, generics without type erasure, linq, .net runtime has better options for dynamic code, and so people can also use f# if they want.

c# is java in hindsight

it's so great :allears:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

you really do like missing the point, don't cha

do not engage with discount fishmech

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

for some reason i like the idea of node. it just exudes light-wieghtiness and single-language efficiency. then again,

welmart uses it proudly

it's built on V8 by google

microsoft is in love with it on Azure or something

those things make it seem extremely uncool.

also where the gently caress can i find a simple example of a nod site without express or other frameworks. i just wanna code brutal raw node please help. thank

node is fine until:

1) it becomes an unmaintainable tangle of closures or
2) the whole server hangs because one job hangs and javascript a single threaded lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like if u just got a lil webservice and you wanna stand it up fast and not make a big deal about it node is great

just don't do like a big thing out of it

• Locked thread