Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

how do learn maven! book?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Shaggar posted:

the best way to learn maven is to work with someone who knows maven. the second best way is to just use it.

i have no idea what maven is doing i've also never built a maven project or artifact or whatever that didnt already have all the crazy xml already there

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

git needs better verbs, copying svn's verbs would've gone a long way to address issues people have with it, then using whatever special snowflake rebases or whatever

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

all the years ive been using vim ive never installed a plugin once and my vimrc is 4 lines for syntax highlighting and setting tabs

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MononcQc posted:

I have a plugin thing that runs the Erlang compiler when I save a file.
then syntax highlighting, using a specific theme, tab/spaces, making trailing spaces, tabs, and nbsps show up as visible characters.
then setting so search is case insensitive by default, new tabs = new buffers, and finally, the necessary undo tree visualisation.

i usually keep another window or tmux/screen buffer open to compile or run a script, but i am a plang "professional"

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

How the gently caress do you guys using vim without plugins navigate your file structure without ctrl p, unite, or need tree

find, grep, cd, and :sp <file> or :vsp <file> if i really need more than one thing open at the same time

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

javascript. i have a stack of variables which are all almost, but not quite, the same. (e.g. whatever_1, whatever 2, etc.) i need to iterate through them. right now i'm just building the variable names as strings and then slapping them into an eval() because idgaf

is there a better/more elegant way to do this?

are they returned or generated from something? is it possible to throw that into a custom object or iterative container?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

tef posted:

once i realised that the code that was the most aesthetically pleasing was also the most unfriendly to beginners or new people to a code base, often hard to find somewhere to start, or relying on a very very clever and well greased abstraction

i've become a lot more sloppy where i know there isn't really a corner to cut but just a bikeshed to paint

the first time i tried to learn java i thought "what java project do i use most often", turns out it was azureus and a big pile of overengineered crap i could not figure out

i didnt learn java until last year thinking all projects were like that

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

you can use perl

more like a slight step sideways and upward, not unlike a handicap ramp, but it is debuggable and can be written clearly and has a ton of good libraries in cpan

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yes you can recommend perl to replace bash things thats what it was for

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

comin from a big scripting and apache webserver background stuff like embedding a webserver in your app is crazy poo poo

still don't know what the hell to do with maven really, it's an xml document evaluated as a script or some poo poo

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MononcQc posted:

Embedding web servers totally makes sense if your platform is able to do it in non-idiotic ways.

what is "non-idiotic"

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

why would you use mongo when you could use ANY loving SQL THING EVER

sqlite is free and text based and very good for your poo poo project you will never show anyone

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

mongo has cost me more time and money than any piece of poo poo sql database you can think of, do not use mongo

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it just works, until you want your data back

i was going to empty quote this and add extra stuff but yeah it's pretty much "until you want your data back"

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i've only seen mongo be used where a relational database would've been a better choice, i think it having "db" in the name makes it misleading when what you want is some kind of caching or some kind of serialized key-object storage that you don't mind losing due to gamma waves and definitely do not want replicated effectively

http://docs.mongodb.org/ecosystem/use-cases/ none of these seem like a particularly good idea for mongo

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i wish i had a nice intellectual argument for mongo being bad but i don't beyond the operational aspects of it being garbage

this is the negative of just using an orm and not giving a poo poo about db structure

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

sure, but my point is that mongo isn't irredeemable, as is the thesis in this thread. "mongo is good for X, watch out for Y" versus "it is the dev of null".

mongo enables people to make big mistakes (such as choosing mongo) much faster which is a plus i guess????

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I'm sure nothing has changed in a couple of years.

I don't like mongo either, but the reasoning in the thread seems pretty shallow

please find out the reasoning from the team that shipped a good working product that never requires reports be generated solely from that data, especially resulting in an single day's long aggregation and incorrect data due to writes failing during the aggregation and there is no recourse that fits within the current project budget

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Shaggar posted:

you company runs on its reporting and your reporting runs on your data. do not let your application decide how the data works. ever.

also invent a time machine and give me 2014 back

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

2015 is much better

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

intellij is fine and faster than eclipse out of the box

the vim input plugin kinda fucks up a often though

eclipse also throws a lot of poo poo at you right out of the box which you probably don't want or need and cannot disable, which i think is the main difference but thats 6 months in on java

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

if i want to host a static site what is the cheapest thing that's a cloud service thinger

assume i have the domain already

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i presume that is setting up an s3 bucket then pointing my dns records at it?

http://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i've been messing around with pelican, i just want hosting that'll stay up or whatever

i think i'm gonna go with amazon versus github just cause it's amazon's business to host poo poo now rather than the largess of github

thanks

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MononcQc posted:

bits of this keynote might be relevant to people calling themselves terrible in here and believing it 100%:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIJdFxYlEKE

this was cool thanks

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

despite tef's advice , ive started giving the most basic non-gotcha technical interview questions to our entry level hires because some people claim to know stuff and they don't! it's amazing

like just writing a c style for loop or python iterator and a SQL query and that's it!

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Papes posted:

I guess the moral of the story: getting a job is not so much of what you know, but who you know and how likeable you are.

thats pretty true

i'm still asking my programmatically manipulate the results of an easy as hell sql statement you have to write

not very glamorous like HEALTHCARE but it works

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

coffeetable posted:

if you're comfortable with basic linear algebra and vector calculus, Machine Learning: A Probabilistic Perspective.

if you're not comfortable with linear algebra or vector calculus, start with Vector and Geometric Algebra, then Vector and Geometric Calculus, then possibly Linear Algebra Done Right just to get a different perspective, then Machine Learning: A Probabilistic Perspective.

hey so uh

how are you supposed to read these books, with a dictionary? i've seen so many math-y books recommended for self improvement as a programmer but then you see sentences like

quote:

The most popular algebraic structure today for Euclidean n-space is the inner product space Rn

and i blank out and stop reading

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

it's as if an education that ended with calculus does not adequately equip one to read proofs or mathematical writing

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

coffeetable posted:

for some reason i thought testiclops had a numerate background already, looking back idk why I thought that

if you haven't done any maths since high school, the place to start is Stroud's Engineering Mathematics. it starts with basic arithmetic and works very slowly through to multi variable calculus.

even then, i forgot how intimidating maths writing can be. sorry! will look for a good 'bridge' book when i get home, have forgotten what i used originally

i very much appreciate it as i do not have such a math intense background

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

gonadic io posted:

I bet you say "on accident" and "could care less" too.

literally

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

coffeetable posted:

MACHINE LEARNING AND MATHS

• next you need a book that transitions you from high-school applied maths to undergraduate proof-based maths. i have completely forgotten what i used to make the hop, and i don't want to recommend anything without checking it myself. will come back and edit something in later.

i am following up on this incredibly good post from several pages ago to ask if you recalled what book this was

my copy of strouds is in the mail rn

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

coffeetable posted:

i did; it turns out my first courses on maths at uni were supported just by notes. notes that are, in hindsight, not that great. instead im gonna say go with How to Prove It: A Structured Approach. it wasn't the first book on proof i read, but it's one of the best. the stuff it covers isn't directly relevant to linear alg or ML, but it turns up all over the place anyway and i think it works well as a friendly intro to mathematical thinking.

that said, the foundations of maths are pretty wide. you can get into logic, probability, set theory, graph theory, real analysis (think of 'analysis' as 'rigorous calculus' for now), discrete maths (combinatorics/counting) and a bunch of other stuff without needing much in the way of prerequisites, and they'll all serve well as intros to mathematical thinking. if any of those pique your interest, the easiest way to tell if you can handle a maths book is to read the preface (where the author will usually mention the audience it's intended for) then try to read the first chapter (usually titled 'preliminaries' or w/e) on Amazon or the author's website or LibGen. if it all seems very easy, you're probably ready for it. if there's stuff you're unfamiliar with in the first few pages, back off and find a more foundational book.

nb: books for fresh undergrads are commonly titled 'a first course in'/'introductory'/'foundations of', but so are books for fresh postgrads. read the first chapter before buying!

word thank you very much

if you're ever in nyc ill get you a beer

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

terrible wacky database janitor/developer job 90-day trip report: "so we just assign you the fix my database tickets nobody can figure out and you blow through them and never have a backlog, great job. you're the only one who like documents anything ever so keep doing that. oh also you're added to the list of people who handle our internal fix my database tickets too, the only other person on the list has been here for 3 years"

ask for more money

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

is there any clever refactoring things in idea for if() statement order? i inherited something that incorrectly short circuits in many places and i gotta change it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ask me about getting paid to have stockholm syndrome with perl

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Janitor Prime posted:

Do you also work at Amazon?

no but due to a legacy of jobs where stuff was written in perl, i have the most experience with it and can usually get something plausibly working in it very fast compared to any other real programming language which pays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Soricidus posted:

so instead of having an insecure unpatched libxml2 that you don't know about that some module built from source, you have an insecure unpatched libxml2 that you don't know about that some module bundled as a binary?

also we have to live in the real world, where a lot of python runs on linux and distributing binaries for linux is painful to say the least

one of my coworkers has been using conda somewhat successfully for their python projects

• Locked thread