Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

One of our coders, whose strong point (his words) is normally java and UI work, got tasked with and spent over a month on the most difficult task of "sending a file over a serial line." The receiving end had to be C, but he wrote a java client for testing.

All along the way he was confused about why the C code on the receiving end wasn't working. Finally management stepped in and assigned another coder to help, and after a day or two of looking at it and correcting minor errors, it turns out the receiving end basically works, and the java program was mostly sending zeroes after the initial header.

:downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Mondays are great because the software team here usually has a longer meeting discussing the upcoming week and longer term goals. Today we spent the better part of an hour this morning bikeshedding about how to re-architect/improve the software architecture for a new hardware platform we're trying to roll out by around July.

I'm pretty sure nothing actually got decided, but it pretty much devolved into the two fattest and loudest coders on the team mostly agreeing but yelling at each other because neither had any good, actual thought-out ideas about how to improve anything, just that 'IT MUST BE IMPROVED/CHANGED AND HERE IS WHY.'

Meanwhile the actual thing on the agenda (what exactly to do about supporting same features with different hardware) was never really discussed. I'm pretty sure it will just wind up being hacked together to 'get a demo working' and nothing will ever be systematically improved unless somebody just goes ahead and does it without ever bringing it up in a meeting.

But in the end this meant that we all did nothing productive at all before lunch hour, so I'm OK with it.

Also

quote:

synthesizable javascript

Sometimes node.js just doesn't bring you close enough to the metal.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

i agree most of the dudes slinging bad rails and node poo poo around to cobble together websites and company portals and whatever learned their trade in one of those bootcamps or an online tutorial and there's a ceiling on what they can do without deeper understanding of the machine they're programming. i certainly feel like i became like 5 times the programmer i used to be after being forced to actually think about how the machine works while doing compiler and os stuff in university classes. before that i was a coder, after that i felt slightly closer to being an engineer.

You need real world experience and the schooling, really. I'm the opposite in that I went through a mostly math-oriented computer science degree. I mostly only programmed in a high level academic sense, and never really understood a lot about what really goes on in computers until I took a job that ultimately led to me having to learn to program 8-bit PIC microcontrollers in their limited assembly language and some VHDL. Before that the concept of registers and bus lines, etc was fairly foreign to me (you mean theres a... clock... making my code... run... :aaaaa: ).

I still don't have a deep understanding of modern compilers etc but gently caress I'm glad I got into embedded stuff and don't have to deal too much with web and UI bullshit. The problem at this level though (in my experience) is that people are great at slinging bits around but tend not to be knowledgable about higher level algorithms - myself included, but I've recently been trying to improve that.

nern posted:

what do?

N'thing the FP course over the JS course. The JS will probably be an easy A and you might get a good project or two out of it, but really 'using a framework' is something pretty much all devs will have to do and, if the framework is worth its salt, its docs will give you all the info you need.

The FP course may actually warp the way you think about programming a little bit (in a good way), and you're not likely to experience it outside acedemia/self learning.

Colonel Taint fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 3, 2017

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

I'm just finishing a nearly two-week-long refactoring effort of a mid-large system which builds all of the company's C-based code.

Makefiles are the friggin worst things to debug.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

I don't care enough to look up how much memory a jag has, but how do you manage the heap on a system like that?

It seems to me like a ring buffer might be a good solution, especially since you can calculate the max amount of memory taking into account the min bullet speed and max firing rate.

I'm presuming bullets become ineffective the moment they're not visible, and their memory can be recycled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Serendipity has made it official. I'm done with my task at hand

I've been working on refactoring the build system at work. It was pretty poo poo a few weeks ago - coders had to `make clean` before every build. Gradually I improved it, and a few days ago I thought it done, but not feeling satisfied I pressed on, inventing and testing new ways of improving the system. Things that nobody will probably ever use or appreciate, but damnit those things mattered, because the less you have to gently caress with Makefiles the better. Thus I toiled throughout the nights and weekend days, determined to leave the system at nothing less than optimal.

Well just a few mere minutes ago I believe I reached that point was nothing could be thought of to to add or remove. Now I usually like to let my playlist run on shuffle while I work. As I made my final mass sed replacement, a soothing crescendo of synthetic horns - unrecognized to me but nonetheless pleasant - made its way through my speakers. A few moments of reviewing the effects of the sed command, I was ready to test those final changes. No sooner had I entered 'bash test_make_all.sh' into my shell and the familiar spewing of the compiler commands begun scrolling through the console than those soothing horns led into - I poo poo you not - the unmistakable opening chords from the loving theme of loving chariots of fire.. So I watched in awe as over 20 different `make -j sometarget &` processes simultaneously spewed their outputs to the console and wept a tear of joy and danced a giddy dance as serendipity of the moment overwhelmed my soul with the purest joy.

Gentlemen, I'm done.

:suicide:

• Locked thread