Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

PleasingFungus posted:

there is probably some situation where "from ... import *" is appropriate, but I can't really think of one off the top of my head.

from goatse import *

realistically i've seen it used to install logging hooks on demand by wrapping the original funcs it was clobbering during the import

e: there's probably a really clever way to do a quine with it too

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

we don't even know if it's infinite

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

c++ owns but there's no sensible ide for it so writing anything big in it is super annoying

vs is a horrendous piece of poo poo that crashes all the time and 2013 won't even let you hotpatch libraries anymore :mad:

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Captain Pike posted:

VS is the best IDE I've used but it blows my loving mind that it needs the "Whole Tomato" commercial plugin to do simple auto-completion. The "Code Blocks" ide can do auto-complete for free, but it has its own set of garbage problems. Why is C++ in this terrible state?

have you experienced the special hell that comes from accidentally stepping into a multiple-argument template function in visual studio and having it just grind for 30 seconds while it walks the entire pdb before presenting you with a dialog showing every single instantiation of that function

and then regardless which you click it shows you the same template definition unless you pick a specifically overloaded template which will just hose VS and force you to do a full rebuild to regenerate the now-corrupt intellisense db

c++ intellisense is the loving worst and even though visual assist makes the language better on the whole, the fact that it apparently figures out line numbers from the often-wrong intellisense info means that half the time you ask it to declare a class method for you it winds up putting the header in a completely unrelated file for no reason

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

Imagine you're just trying to parse this

as a bonus some compilers return uint instead of size_t based on flags so who knows if its gonna hit the overload or not

there's a library called glm that's supposed to provide types that mimic glsl's builtins so you can do glsl type ops like some3dvertex.xz to extract the x and z coords of a vertex as a 2d point

if you want to see the most horrifying templates on earth, check out its source. it's the necronomicon of c++ libraries and man was not meant to gaze upon it

qntm posted:

c++ is absurd

e: vv whoever decided that c++ needed a glsl interop layer is definitely a terrible programmer

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 16, 2015

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i totally double cucked them because they bought me 'reddit gold' which is like this super passive aggressive thing people do on reddit and i was like 'hey save they money to pay your developers more' and then they deleted thier account

yesss

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

marble madness 2 is a good game and i think my only possible claim to nerd fame is having beaten it on the only known existing machine

Bloody posted:

c is a beautiful language

and then you implement a dynamically-typed tableview in it and you stop having this delusion

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Bloody posted:

just because you are struggling to chop down a tree with a hammer does not mean the hammer is faulty

it means you're 16 and just because you can doesn't mean you should :downs:

alternate answer: it just means the hammer's ill-fitted for the job and the tool manufacturer refuses to produce anything else

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

obj-c owns owns owns for stuff like uis or anything where you want to wildly spew messages at arbitrary collections of objects and not give a gently caress

sucks to see people try to write math libs and such in pure objc though and just not understand why their algorithm's furious message passing runs at like 1/10th of the speed it did in matlab

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

that horrible opengl interop library i complained about was being used heavily in the backend of a project i'm on

it was almost entirely the matrix classes so for shits and giggles i homerolled a super basic set to replace them to see if there would be a speed increase

benchtest went from 1350ms to 200ms :catstare:

now to present it in a way that someone higher up takes credit for it and it actually makes it into production

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

fritz posted:

seriously? I'm using it in a project I'm working on now, that'll be something to keep in mind

from looking through it while trying to figure out how to port over random functionality the slowdown seems to be because a big chunk of the template functions do something like this for every single variable:

code:
template <typename TT>
TT double_number(const TT &number)
{
TT Number = TT(number);
return Number * 2;
}
e: ^ gangtag owns
e2 : i wonder if the slowdown is a vc compiler thing and other better compilers would optimize Number out due to it being a init-from-const whose value never changes

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 28, 2015

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

src
src_new
src_newer
src_useme

old/old/oldold/src

version control circa 1997

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

that's the spirit

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

crosspost from the bitcoin thread for a completely different sort of terrible programmer

https://github.com/c-darwin/dcoin/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=mongoloid

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

$lng['race_1'] = 'Mongoloid';
$lng['race_2'] = 'Europid';
$lng['race_3'] = 'Negroid';

:eyepop:

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Lunar Suite posted:

are all americans really excited about any sort of technology, no matter how lovely?

you've solved the mystery of how Microsoft's console division stays solvent

wonder how many commits he's pushed that were immediately followed by another commit that fixes a fuckup/omission in the first

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

the comma operator is for when you want to save 5 seconds and remove a bunch of readability/maintainability, and/or ioccc

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

legacy c++ life

code:
	bool should_autosize[2]; //what the gently caress is this crap? fixme
according to git history the first person to inherit this added the wtf comment and then did nothing

the second added the 'fixme' and did nothing

i removed the entire line since the variable wasn't referenced anywhere at all

how do these people get jobs

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I welcome death and so should you

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 24, 2015

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

it was a private classmember and the class didn't touch it other than initializing it

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

eschaton posted:

hope it wasn't in some structure written to disk or copied all over memory en masse

I've seen that before (in production!) but never with classes :psyduck:

the worst io crown still goes to the online catalog generated entirely through a FileMaker script which pooped out html by concatenating record fields and had a view solely for the 30+ fields in each record that contained html bits (or didn't) depending on the record

this codebase just reads/writes json and is generally sane but it obviously was not at some point given some of the vestigial crap in it

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

it's reddit but jfc this is proclick for probably the dumbest fuckup I've seen in ages

https://np.reddit.com/comments/33u8vq//cqofrit

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

is there a mysql gui for osx that is a) decent

no

• Locked thread