Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i googled the name and here's the first vid to come up lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSmkqocn0oQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Learn a functional language to get better at designing programs in a useful language. might as well make it haskell.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

the title of the video is funny but if you actually watch the whole thing it's not a very good representation of what he's actually saying

title is clickbait, content is basically worth 5 minutes or whatever

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah i mean sql, a known Useful Language, uses -- for comments

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
intellij is good and I like it better than eclipse. it has smarter autocomplete or something, i forget exactly what.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
can anyone prove that the time spent learning and loving around with stupid command line text editors has made them more productive

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
learning the raw DOM for all the major browsers is a complete waste of time. use jQuery or something similar.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Snapchat A Titty posted:

no u

but is there a less ugly way to write this?

Swift code:

if costSoFar[next] == nil || newCost < costSoFar[next]! { ... }

Swift code:

if let cost = costSoFar[next] where newCost < cost { ... }

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
its me, im the terrible programmer

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
seems to me like letting a bunch of different apps have raw access to a database makes for more code churn if you need to change schema. better to give those apps access to the same API for doing database stuff. it's like providing clients with an interface as opposed to handing them an implementation.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

yeah your procs are the interface between your application and the database. in fact when using a statement mapper its common to create an actual interface with methods that will be used for data access and then have the statement mapper bind the inputs and outputs from the interface methods to statements/procs. w/ spring mybatis this can be done automatically with the resulting proxy injected into wherever you want. its the best way to do data access by far.

that sounds quite good. I think I just had a bad experience with a certain project I worked on which pretty much had the app accessing tables raw.

do you have any experience with table valued functions? at my last job when we would have some giant predicate or really large projection that needed to be used in a bunch of different places we would basically copy paste it and I felt bad and wrong the entire time. I know that scalar functions mostly suck for performance but there must be SOME way that SQL server lets you have function composition in your scripts while preserving the performance.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
visual studio code uses mono for debugging so it's probably still about mono

but i was under the impression that the process of open-sourcing .net meant the mono people could start stealing all the correct implementations of poo poo

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hi, just popping in to be the nth person to say do the interview bitch

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
jQuery just makes the DOM put a condom on before it fucks you

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
every time i think about it i am blown away by how loving stupid the decision to not have generics is

even java type erasure generics are pretty helpful

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm highly amused that you are defending that code and not mocking the poo poo out of it

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
if you hate c# enough to dismiss it out of hand you've got some brand hangups to deal with

microsoft is basically a laff factory but c#/.net/visual studio/etc are good products

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
web services.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
im basically waiting for all the good parts of .net to actually be usable on mac/linux because i feel pretty meh about every language except c# and swift

if i could start writing web servers and poo poo in swift i would just do that

if I had to write a web server to run on a linux idk I'd probably write it in java

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
xamarin is the worst possible argument for c#

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
there is no purpose to trying to develop a gui app for windows in something besides c# and there's no purpose in building a mac app in something besides swift or objective-c

now, if you want to start talking cross platform, there are plenty of poisons to choose from.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
dont worry pram, the microsoft stack is headed to unix and it will be better than anything currently available on unix

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it sounds like it's not that bad, but not that good.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
note that the half figgy is more money than the six that came before it. funny how figgies work

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use sublime because I managed to install the plugins I want and I'll be damned if I'm gonna repeat that with some other editor. I am not paying to use that poo poo though.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the general rule for differentiating polynomials comes from the binomial theorem in part
binomial theorem is how you get (a+b)^2=aa+ab+ba+bb and (a+b)^3=aaa+aab+aba+baa+bba+bab+abb+bbb
if you just start taking binomials to different powers and look for a pattern you will be able to construct the sum notation for the general binomial theorem.

limit definition of the derivative, the rate of change of a function at 1 point, is the limit as delta approaches 0 of [f(x + delta) - f(x)] / delta
if f(x) = x^n then it's [(x+delta)^n-x^n]/delta

the term of (x+delta)^n with x^n and delta^0 is just x^n and it cancels with the minus x^n
the term of (x+delta)^n with delta raised to the first power is n*x^(n-1)*delta and that divides with the delta and escapes the limit.
all the other terms have at least one additional factor of delta which is going to 0 so they all go to 0

thus you get that the limit as delta approaches 0 of x^n = n*x^(n-1)

for integrals it's a little trickier because the definition of the integral is a sum
I imagine the typing I just did on the derivative is lovely enough to read so I'll leave that alone

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

i hate when people forget units.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

qntm posted:

I ask you, is there a worse code smell than people using "theValue" and "theStatus" for variable names

I have a coworker who uses it for singletons but I find it slightly ugh

like if you have some get-only property with the same name as the class I already know it's a singleton

VikingofRock posted:

Agreed, this is awful. Does anyone know whether LLVM can optimize away stuff like that? (my guess is yes)

One of the first rules of good programming is to write readable code instead of doing hosed up poo poo because you think it'll save something meaningless like a variable allocation. wait until a bottleneck becomes apparent before making sacrifices to readability/maintainability to improve performance.

brap fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 10, 2015

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
F# is a couple of cool ideas in a batshit package. All the good parts will come to C# soon so gently caress it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

uncurable mlady posted:

starting to actually find powershell and .net enjoyable, send help

dont know poo poo about the former but congratulations on your correct experience of the latter

comedyblissoption posted:

im honestly a little bit baffled how dynamically typed languages are actually getting more popular than statically typed langs

burn everything to the ground

it's because dynamic typing lets me move fast and break stuff.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah, if the function is all about side effects you can't just invoke one then invoke the other and see if you got the same thing. You pretty much have to do it manually. that's the reality if your codebase isn't already well-factored into mostly functions that operate on their parameters and return values.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
a number between 1 and 4 seems pretty straightforward, maybe just use that?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
startup time doesn't really matter for services though because the poo poo's running all the time. (right?)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
efficiency is unpythonic

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what's a good book for learning modern c++ (I guess while also learning enough about "old" c++ to deal with real codebases)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i am reading about go because i need to maintain a utility that's written in go and every time I see interface{} as a function parameter i am just loving blown away by the stupidity

also

Append

Now we have the missing piece we needed to explain the design of the append built-in function. The signature of append is different from our custom Append function above. Schematically, it's like this:

func append(slice []T, elements ...T) []T
where T is a placeholder for any given type. You can't actually write a function in Go where the type T is determined by the caller. That's why append is built in: it needs support from the compiler.

KILL OYUR SELF ROB PIKE (is that the guy who made this language?)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
in go, it's a build error to declare a variable and not use it.
it's also a build error to import a package and not use it.

i don't appreciate this when i'm experimenting with some code change and want to just compile and run without cleaning up all the loose ends first.
you literally have to be a retard to like this language.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the other argument is "these nested generic types confuse me. let's not have them"
"futhermore, lists of lists are too confusing. let's not have them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
terrible programmers:

is it normal for your employer to forbid a software developer from downloading files at work and instead require he or she submit a ticket to IT saying "please download this file for me"?

• Locked thread