Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

pullin down four and a half figgies, nbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Necc0 posted:

in case anyone missed this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701595

it's short and sweet and rly funny
haha holy poo poo

people post in coc

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

I posted in coc once and people were unironically defending entity framework lol
literally the op of the .net thread was "just use ef writing sql is for suckers" lmao

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

also, good forums
if only such a thing existed

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

triple sulk posted:

is ur actual name shaggar
the names shaggar

james shaggar

licence to .dll

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody posted:

Monad more like gonad
idk how these work either

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Valeyard posted:

i hate stupid poo poo like this
It only exists because the teacher cba updating their 15 year old assignments

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Valeyard posted:

i had an exercise last year where half the marks where for implementing a concurrent hashmap in java. when he found out that one already came built in he blamed it on being a really recent new java feature
do you go to heriot watt by any chance valeyard, that is my alma mater

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol i did that too when i first read it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i spend a lot of time at work whiteboarding big sql queries, ostensibly to teach my underling how to sql but really it's so ill be really really good at it when i work up the motivation to get a real job

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol if you gaf about how you janitor ur indentation instead of letting visual studio 2013 do it for you

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Leck posted:

is the right answer to redo it in c# with a regular windows interface?
this is the right answer 100% of the time for a small app

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

If rewriting it is too much work, just have the c# thing call your python app
ive never looked at ironpython or anything before but does it pretty much let you write a c# wrapper around your python files so you can deploy the app without having to install python on the client?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

just finished writing a thing that scrapes data from an external application using managedwinapi then sends said data of for a credit check and displays the result

its the first time ive done anything more complicated than just farting out a database ui and i feel like ive risen from abysmal dumbass programmer to being a plain old terrible programmer

of course now i know how it's done it seems like a dumb babby thing that shouldn't have taken all week and yeah im still a abysmal dumbass after all

thats my own tale of imposter syndrome thanks for reading

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Barnyard Protein posted:

just remember that some day you and every one you know will be a corpse.
thank god

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

gently caress wordpress for not supporting postgres i guess. gently caress all PHP apps and mysql. node and mongo forever. thank you
same but asp dot net and mssql forever, or oracle i guess if ur webserver has a client

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Power Ambient posted:

is there a SQL designer app for osx that isn't a piece of poo poo? i want ERD and also to be able to manage the db right in the app and it has to support postgre

http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-mac-edition/default.aspx prolly what youre looking for

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

no one uses command line sql tools.
No one should but lots of people i work with use putty + sqlplus exclusively

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

that's disgusting

:agreed: but that's old people for you i guess

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sql developer is not that bad a gui considering its both free and made by oracle

i mostly just use the visual studio server explorer and oracle plugin tho

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 27, 2015

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

modern ui for wpf owns super hard

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it was you that recommended it to me :tipshat:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Got a red hat offer
good job :toot:

have you decided what your gonna do

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

AWWNAW posted:

the name recognition on your resume is worth more than 10k

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Yeah

Ragg posted:

What's good about it. Is it just the visuals.

because i really stuck at doing layouts and stuff and that takes care of a good portion of it for me

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Im using Java and I just don't understand why any programmer would choose to program in an object oriented language without interfaces and generics
interfaces arent pythonic

incidentally every time I read the word pythonic in context im more convinced its just a synonym for "stupid"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

do you HAVE to let EF own your schema?
iirc you can give it access through a user that has no ddl privileges but its likely to throw a shitfit about it sooner or later

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i worked around that by getting my work computer added to the no proxy safelist :cool:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

gonadic io posted:

lol student code:

code:
#define MAX_EXPERIMENT_DURATION 1000
int arr[1000]; // CHANGE THIS TOO IF MAX_EXPERIMENT_DURATION IS CHANGED (VALUE IS THE SAME AS MAX_EXPERIMENT_DURATION)

bless lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Snapchat A Titty posted:

btw i make a p good chili, pro tip: french onion powder
lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

never realised how much i lean on linq until i started rewriting a package from c# to java

thought it would take 5 minutes, looks like ill be here all day

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

comedyblissoption posted:

java 8 supposedly has collections w/ lazily evaluating higher order functions so you can move beyond for loop janitoring

if you need linq as expression trees passed into iqueryables well youre prolly hosed then
this is cool but im targeting an Oracle 11 db so it's java 1.5 for me

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Barnyard Protein posted:

i would think google wouldn't want to recruit people who are furiously searching for topics that indicate they are in over their heads in their current programming position but welp

lol things like dependency injection and composition over inheritance aren't important

now tell me how you'd escape from this blender if you were the size of a pea

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

AWWNAW posted:

lol at the notion that you can be "good at JavaScript"
people do really great poo poo in all kinds of bad languages

meanwhile i fart out terrible apps in c#

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

oracle pl/sql programming is a very good book on a very bad language

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

oracle is a really good db but pl/sql is so stupidly antiquated

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

pl/sql is an abomination. it's a shame it's so useful.
yeah

if they scrapped it and developed java for dbs that would be some insanely good poo poo

idk how it would even work but it would probably own

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

gonadic io posted:

you clearly didn't see the m-o-n-t-y-h-a-l-l discussion in the bitcoin thread a while back (please don't start one here)
idk how anyone doesnt understand this one after a short explanation

i mean at least the 0.9999... proof uses limits so yeah someone who never took any calculus might not get that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my maths teacher for gcse maths and additional maths (14-16 yo) was the best teacher ive ever had

then my a-level maths teacher (16-18 yo) was terrible and i ended up worse at maths than when i started

• Locked thread