Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

ho hum, yet another sorting visualizaHOLY poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

do people actually make their own monads? because it seems like most/all of the useful ones (lists, maybe, async, state, whatever idk) have been written already, and any new useful ones would be far beyond the abilities (or imagination) of anyone reading a 'what is a burrito' tutorial

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

but is modal editing better with tabs or spaces?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

at my startup our architecture is microservices and a message queue.

each microservice has its own mongo database, because this reduces coupling. allowing the services to access the same database would increase coupling, so if one service needs access to data in another service, the originating service will just dump the entire collection into the pipeline, and the consuming service will write out all of the entries into its own database.

whenever an entity in the database is updated, the responsible service will emit an update event, and dump the entire object into the pipeline. consuming services will then write it to their own db, taking extreme care to update any and all data associations (a traditional DB would of course enforce these relationships for you, but it's no loss because keeping data in sync is a totally trivial problem compared to coupling, which is the worst problem).

the architects of this system did not concern themselves with concurrency, because data races are trivial compared to coupling. we've simply forced each consumer to run on a single thread, because concurrency issues are difficult to solve and we have more important problems such as reducing the amount of coupling in our system.

naturally, this system contains json entities that can be over 1mb compressed. if a user updates a single field on one of these entities, the entire 1mb model will get dumped into the queue. if they update the model twice (or 100 times) it will get dumped into the queue each time. this in no way overwhelms the system.

a few months back, i introduced an RPC mechanism so that we could at least make synchronous calls between services in response to user events. today my lead informed me that we're going to deprecate the RPC system because it increases coupling.

this is how you architect a system with 12 microservices that cannot handle more than 4 or 5 concurrent users before falling over. Fortunately, since everything is so decoupled, the system at least maintains the appearance of working.

:pwn:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

tfvc is simpler. a LOT simpler.

if you used git, it will be trivial for you to learn tfvc. all the history is on the server, and only on the server. branches are basically just folders with a history - they're full, immutable, indepedent copies of all the files they contain. checking out is just downloading a folder (or a specific revision of one) from the server to your computer: after that, the only thing tfvc does locally on your computer is keeping track that c:\myproject\butt corresponds to $/company/software/projects/gluteus on the server

shelvesets are a glorifed 'let's zip up my temporary changes, give them a name, and save them on the server'. they're used much more often than branches because, as mentioned, each branch is a full copy of the project so it's expensive to create and cumbersome to switch.

if you did anything more than the most basic stuff in git, you'll probably run into tfvc limitations. like, want to unshelve your shelveset into a different branch than the one you were working on? you have to unshelve + commit to the original branch, merge to the new branch, then revert the commit on the original. if other things changed in the original branch since you made that shelveset, tough luck. in theory there's a 'power tools' command line utility that lets you unshelve to another branch, but it's never worked for me, and I always resorted to copying files over by hand and checking the diff

tl;dr: you will probably be annoyed. you might be frustrated. you almost certainly won't be confused.

sounds a lot like microsoft svn

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

in high school we used PIC16s and programmed them in some sort of basic-like language. we kept wiring the breadboards up wrong and destroying them

thinking back, it's amazing how stupid and incurious i was back then. i had no idea how any of that poo poo worked or any idea of its limitations. i just wrote some code that I barely understood and couldn't ever get anything working since i had no idea about debugging

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

lol if you don't do literally everything you can in the db. just lol

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Pie Colony posted:

why would you not recommend? harder to version control i guess?

version control isn't that big a problem - just check in your sql stuff as you would any other text file

imo the big problem is how poor the "development" environment is for db dev. the languages are total poo poo, the tooling ranges from bad to atrocious to nonexistent, and debugging is a total pain in the rear end. writing js is often a nicer experience

i guess testing would potentially be more annoying? idk i don't know how to test stuff

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i don't know what magical land of unicorns and roses y'all live in that has schemas to validate xml against, but i can assure you that in the real world the xml documents you receive will be just as arbitrary as some random yaml file

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

don't get me wrong, i *like* xml (and its bastard children xpath and xslt)

i just don't think most people care about ensuring their input is well-defined - see e.g. json, the proliferation of dynamic langs, ...

it is nice being able to wave a mutually-agreed schema in someone's face when their poo poo is malformed

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

it's crunch time on a fantastically critical but poorly-managed project. as is traditional, i'm rubber stamping some truly awful code through in reviews (when we actually do reviews), and writing some utter poo poo that mostly works in many cases - unless you hit this or that edge condition, or an error happens

this is complicated by another guy, who keeps dropping half or mostly broken code on me, apparently under the impression that no syntax errors = good to go

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

InfrastructureWeek posted:

Spoiler alert: you will regret this lol

oh, i know this very well, especially since there's a decent chance i'll end up maintaining the whole mess. but,

Sapozhnik posted:

i'll also regret being out of work because we didn't ship a product before the money people lost patience

life is full of regrets

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i had to write a couple of CROSS JOINs the other day. felt wrong

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

if you've ever written a right join, gently caress you

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i thought nginx is open source and therefore garbage?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i dreamt about writing a right join and then getting called on it in code review. my dreams suck

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

tef posted:

swedish collation by default

feature, not bug

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

akadajet posted:

no, because twitter lets you know if your tweets are too long

:eyepop:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

I just need something to store like 5 columns worth of data in a reliable, shared way and I didn't want to spin up a sql server for it.

just throw it up on that sql server instance that hosts all the miscellaneous dbs that no one really cares about wtbd

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

guessing keys isn't a thing. either you have access controls in place to prevent someone from looking up record (n + 1) and it doesn't matter, or you don't and you're a clown and you have other, worse vulnerabilities to worry about

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

given that all programmers are poo poo, we should favor idioms that make the bugs they will inevitably write harder to exploit

i agree that developers should not be allowed to design or develop a database

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

:eyepop:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

tef posted:

lol it's totally a thing

when?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

doesn't this fall into the "have access controls in place" category? in the vast* majority of cases, correctly guessing that there is an object with id n isn't a risk if the attacker can't actually access/use that object

i think this is why owasp has a category for insecure (in contrast to all) direct object references

happy to be educated otherwise though :)

* and i know that there will be places this does matter

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

LinYutang posted:

generating javascript through Java string concatenation is extremely my poo poo

this, but via an xslt transform

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

motedek posted:

i can't understand why anyone consuming data chooses to use a store that guarantees exactly nothing about what's in a record. projecting our collections (which were being used as de facto tables) into real tables was the only way to see all the nulls where different records used slightly different element names.

lmao, ouch

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

is swift any good?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Edge is specifically a new from the ground up rewrite which is why they also ship IE with Windows 10 for compatibility.

iirc edge is evergreen ie11 with the legacy compat poo poo removed from the rendering engine. they started with ie and just started ripping poo poo out

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

and now you see why no one likes ie 2.0

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i'm starting to feel really inadequate due to my lack of basic cs fundamentals. i'm self taught, with a degree in an unrelated subject, and i'm earning way more $$$ than i have any right to be (especially given my limited and scattered knowledge)

i'm scared that i'm falling on the bad side of dunning-kruger. is it imposter syndrome if you're actually an imposter?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

HoboMan posted:

just managed to take 3000 line sql query no one ever wanted to look at that is central to how our poo poo works and make it go from 15 second run time to sub 1 second.
guess how? if you guessed removing code where it was filling a temp table with a full copy of one of the largest tables in our database you win

this, but two table variables and from 45 min to effectively instantaneous. it wasn't 3000 lines though

i'm dealing with a totally loving inscrutable 1500 line function, which implements some core functionality. i alternate between fantasizing about just walking out and never returning, and praying for death

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im not sure what you mean by defining type hierarchy. in general, i have a fairly good idea about possible abnormalities in the dataset, which is why i posted that isintance(x, dict) example earlier, since in this garbage i am forced to work with:

1) a value is always a string
2) a missing value is a 0-length string
3) a variable may be randomly placed in a dictionary containing just it (cause by some json (or mongo?) type thing (?extended types? i think?)
4) a collection of variables (json array?) is a dictionary
5) if there is just a single matching collection, there is a dictionary
6) if multiple collections match the record, they are contained in a list
7) if there are no collections matching the record, there is an empty list
8) a collection may randomly be missing one or more variables/sub-collections in it
9) a collection "tree stub" (?node?) may be missing as such

and so i have bunch of static methods covering each problematic variable where in each i have hardcoded substructure path housed inside at most 3 levels deep nested if condition tree to account for the mix of the factors above specific to data subset im extracting

hence the earlier question, if doing if isinstance, if foo in bar, etc - given known variability of the situation and having no way to affect it - is not inferior in some way to try-cath patterns or equivalent

now if you want actually embarassing stuff, let me tell you how i zip bunch of lists, sort by sub value, and then unzip them before passing further since i need homgeneous lists as final outputs :v:

you should probably find another job

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

love your effortposts

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

"depreciated"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

the problem with soap is that it assumes a minimum degree of competence on both sides

i'm sure these clowns are manually creating their wsdl and their soap xml packets

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

starting to think that the guy who was rewriting the forums in elixir may have been on to something

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

the terrible programmer thread is a very appropriate place for n+1 errors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

still paralyzed by indecision lol

i've done a complete and utter 180 on the file extension thing in the space of like 2hrs because there's a whole bunch of poo poo like jsx or es2015 or type annotations that you can mix and match into your toolchain and you're not going to stick all those things into the file extension

flow is also strictly just a type checker. there is a completely separate babel plugin that just strips out all the type annotations without checking them. and you slot that in amongst all the other babel plugins that implement jsx, transpile es2017 down to es5, do the css import magic, etc etc. this feels very right on a fundamental level.

typescript is a transpiler, and you then feed its output into another transpiler (babel). ts has a lot of overlap with what babel does but babel is a lot more powerful. this seems strictly worse than the way that flow does its thing and it bugs the crap out of me.

e: oh and i got it to compile and something went wrong at runtime but it spit out a backtrace showing the typescript-transpiled code instead of my typescript code. naaaa gently caress this, flow it is. i'll hold my nose and deal with atom i guess. urgh.

i probably wouldn't judge a language based purely on how elegantly it fits into my build pipeline

• Locked thread