Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
for the first time ever, i got to review a couple of demo programs by job applicants

they had both clearly just followed some guestbook tutorial.

one of them threw an exception when you tried to access the actual guestbook tab and the tab that i think was supposed to show all entered (or rather, hardcoded) comments was empty. it had some kind of user account system and logging in worked at least.

the other had a dependency for a database, but i was able to get it working. you could do basic crud operations on comments.

both had lovely ui's and a useless readme

at best they demonstrated that the applicant is able to mostly follow a tutorial they found by googling.

in other words i think we got applications from the top 1% of potential applicants, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pointsofdata posted:

that sounds like quite an involved bit of work for a job application. What level of experience are you requiring? How long is this exercise meant to take?

i have no loving clue about the details of the application process, my manager just mailed me the github urls and told me to rate them.

sure, i'll do it, anything for an excuse to be unproductive for half a day.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

JewKiller 3000 posted:

google says:

$140k is absolutely attainable in a major usa metro area (nyc, sf, la, etc) just working at a normal company outside of the financial sector. not google or facebook or amazon or any poo poo like that. not even particularly late in your career, maybe a few years experience.

so yeah, if the entire purpose of your super exciting "fintech" startup is to generate money, and you want me to live/work in london, i expect quite a bit more than that

how the gently caress do you think they're supposed to make money if they just give it away like that :rolleyes:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
if we're having figgie chat again, i want to link to these posts i made in the itt you post your cj/tech/whateversalary thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755601&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post453792787
and
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755601&pagenumber=6&perpage=40#post453872419

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
what language is this and what does it do?
3==D ~o

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Captain Foo posted:

the xml parsing lib in a plang of your choice*

*)you don't have to use a plang, you can also use real language

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
:siren: someone mentioned monads :siren:

:frogsiren: ABANDON THREAD :frogsiren:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

piratepilates posted:

it's been providing more value to the company for 3 years than complaining about it will. also the answer is a week

Or the first code review, which ever is shorter

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

piratepilates posted:

How could a code review be longer than a week :confused:, that sounds like a bad process

if you have no code review, then it's one week

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pointsofdata posted:

we don't have code reviews

software gets written without code reviews, unit tests, separate development/production servers, specifications, IDEs or version control.

software written using proper tools and procedures has a higher chance of being not-poo poo, but none of it required

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Awia posted:

we have a global coding standard thats like "put braces on new lines", "use tabs", "dont be a knob"

ah,
code:
# EditorConfig

[*]
curly_bracket_next_line = true
indent_style = tab
be_a_knob = false

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

netcat posted:

That looks a lot like my glitchy software renderer

http://i.imgur.com/wEzSMAc.gifv

that looks like a perfectly normal sequin teapot :confused:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Bloody posted:

you would think there's only big- and little-endian but

no

the things i have seen

good lord

i remember rolling my own guid decoder a billion years ago and some of the groups separated by hyphens have different endiannes for some microsoft reason

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

fritz posted:

we're getting to the point in things where we start to need structured logging / data storage beyond 'hey, just dump it all to console' and ive always known i dont really know the first thing about database design, turns out i really dont know the first thing about database design

use mongodb, it's webscale

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
When you dump a log, don't forget to flush

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

MeruFM posted:

use tumblr

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
That reminds me: whatever blogging platform you choose, disable comments

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
if you have to have comments on your site, use this https://github.com/tessalt/echo-chamber-js

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
turds, toilets, butts, boners.

i love programming chat on yospos

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

hackbunny posted:

I really have to learn to read documentation rather than hammer at the code until it behaves, but it bores me so much

epic this

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

hackbunny posted:

pretty much yeah. a lot of my code consists of transplanting existing code elsewhere, changing it as little as possible

you could replace 85% of what i do with a bot that copies the top answer from the first stackoverflow answer after googling the problem.

the other 15% is renaming variables so the code compiles.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Progressive JPEG posted:

you check that code compiles before submitting it? lol

holy poo poo, with productivity tips like these i'll soon be making deece five figgies

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Bloody posted:

lol if you plan your sprints rather than just starting them and changing the scope a dozen times over their duration

look, it's every "scrum" project i have ever worked in.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

look, it's every "scrum" project i have ever worked in.

except now we're doing SAFe

you know what's the difference between scrum and safe in my experience?

at team level: nothing

at management level: nothing

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i attended some agile method course at the university when i was getting my master's and when they talked about getting extra people to remove bottlenecks in kanban, i thought that's adorable

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
the only thing about scrum that is idiot proof and "just works" are the daily standups, in my experience.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
sometimes they go on for too long, and people tell jokes and talk about irrelevant stuff, but the main point of "what i did yesterday, what i'm doing today, are there any problems" works in my experience.

but every other kind of meeting and planning is just mindblowingly boring and useless.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

MrMoo posted:

Greg Wilson covered a lot of it in this talk: https://vimeo.com/9270320

goddamn

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
has there been any studies if people like "whoops, something went wrong, lol" -type errors more than "database error, error code 0xdeadbeef, please contact your system administrator" -type errors?

because the former aggravate the gently caress out of me. but then i'm a programmer, maybe actual people like that

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i meant more the tone of "aww, snap" type 'cute' errors compared to dry "notepad.exe has encountered an error and needs to close" type errors.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i can't get tomcat, or rather our project, to output debug-level logging. it's stuck on info-level. i just don't get which of the numerous .properties files i should edit.

i mean i guess i can just use info level logging where i want to use debug level and then delete or lower the level before committing the changes, but holy poo poo i have wasted the whole day on a problem that should have not taken more than a few of hours, because i got sidetracked by this thing

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Awia posted:

what is a monad?

:munch:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Bloody posted:

i parsed a csv file

:worship:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Finster Dexter posted:

e: I love that feeling though, of closing down like 20 browser tabs of google searches and stackoverflow questions. Feel like my day can finally begin :wtc:

my favorite feeling is spending 2 days on a problem trying all kinds of poo poo, and then i make a 5-line commit that fixes the issue.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

crazysim posted:

is that a depth of one or exhaustive?

i remember something something maximum flow minimum cut graph theory thing.

find the package that would break the most poo poo.

make a copyright claim on it.

except it's probably jquery or something where it wouldn't work.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

i remember something something maximum flow minimum cut graph theory thing.

except that doesn't really apply now does it.

well, i guess that's the reason i'm posting itt

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Gul Banana posted:

i advocate and practice it. what now

no items, fox only, final destination

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope