Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West007
Apr 21, 2013

I'd like you to tell me how you came up with your stupid username/internet alias that you use.

In my case I use the not so original alias "West" or in the case it is taken I add the numbers 007. Let me explain how it all began.

In 6th grade (around age 11) I was an avid Counter-strike 1.6 player. Me and my friends would go to internet cafes and play for an hour or two few times a week. I was using some random nickname every time we played but I had decided that I need a cool permanent one. One of my friends who was perhaps the best at CS had the nickname .Marlboro. I thought: "Hey, cigarettes are cool!" (I've never smoked though)and chose West.

I've been using West ever since. I used the addition of numbers 007 in 2007 for the first time when I was registering for a browser game to play with my friends. My alias was taken but I still wanted to have it one way or another. I thought the game was stupid so I added the first numbers that popped into my head which were 007 as in James Bond. The browser game wasn't stupid, I got hooked and still play it until this day.

Now, tell me your story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Claver is an old English word for "talks too much," which I do.

Joe is the short form of my name of Josef, because seppe is stupid sounding in a German way.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 9, 2013

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I called someone a retarded furry once.

Tubba Blubba
Jul 14, 2011

I played the poo poo out of Paper Mario when I was a child.

Tubba Blubba is a boss from that game.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I wanted something that would not be easily googleable for internet detective type bullshit when I was first registering. Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A52p9jc-gOo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The David Bowie song "Diamond Dogs." I've had people assume that it was due to an obscure Marvel Comics character, or a character from the tabletop RPG SLA Industries, but nope.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Mine is a Futurama reference. In the Episode "Jurrasic Bark" around the 8 minute mark the professor says "Beneath the fossil's crunchy mineral shell, there's still a creamy core of dog nougat."

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm a systems administrator, and Charlottes Web.
Only the spider knows I am not an average admin, management only realizes it when I bail.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I needed a username for something over 10 years ago so I fired up the John Peel band name generator. It gave me something like "fool cake sonata", so I just took cakefool and used it for everything. If I knew I'd be using it for so long I'd have given it more thought.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
frequently reoccuring death

e: or "YO BRO ANY CHRONIC????" :2bong:

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
From this video, circa 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbRom1Rz8OA

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I stole it from the name of my friend(s) college band. I have used it for a long time. It is also the name of a flower but I don't think that is the origin.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Mine's from the title of one of the best helldump threads of all time

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
I used to play Natural Selection all the time. I always played the alien team and I loved the basic creature that you start out as. It's basically a dog and you bite marines legs to kill them. So...I was an ankle biter...get it?

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I read a fantasy anthology called Thieves World when I was about 14. I used Cythen until about seven or eight years ago, then I switched over to Pyrtanis. There is a Pyrtanis street in the book where most of the hard working stiffs live. It also doesn't hurt that google sometimes corrects it to Prytanis, which is some sort of ancient Athenian congress thing.

fake edit: welp "pyrtanis" comes up with everything for me, including my friend's wow account :sigh:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyZ7oU0tUR8

All stems from this. We were picking random names for our Starcraft (1) LAN setup (in 2009), and I wound up picking Lord Palmerston due to above. Some time later I decided I liked Pitt The Elder as a name better; it also wasn't in use in many places.

Also, he was a pretty good dude.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Named after my academic hero, Dr. M K Hubbert. :3:

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Back in the 90's when my family had ordered internet for the first time, it came with an included local BBS that my middle school rival was always on. One day I saw him reading some computer hacker book, authored by "Knightmare." I came up with the clever plan to use Knightmare as my nickname to the BBS and grief him, etc. The name stuck, although someone always has it registered on every site/game I've tried registering too. I was surprised it was available here to be honest.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
I didn't realize till recently that Declan MacManus is Elvis Costello's real name.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
As a kid I used to yell out Yeet! when I did something awesome like score a goal or whatever. Kind of embarrassing now that I look back on it.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I used to use AKA: Pseudonym but SA doesn't accept the colon. I saw an ad for some schlocky 70s action movie here the hero was introduced as "AKA: Brickhammer" or some sort of thing like that. I imagined "AKA: Pseudonym" being said with the same ridiculous intonation and it seemed funny, though it could only possibly be funny to me.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Mine is a big dumb reference to a half-baked hypothesis for why various types of memes gravitate to areas with similar memes and propagate around their own ilk, and how those memes tend to form superficially apparent dynamic clusters that resemble physical systems rather than simply genetic/environmental systems. So it's a kind of application of memetics beyond memetics. It's not metamemetics because that already means a thing.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE
Warcraft II

Grom Hellscream

SLICE AND DICE....

That is all :)

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
One day in high school I was hanging out at the computer drinking a Bacardi Razz (which was really cool to drink back when it wasn't legal for me to drink) and I thought it sounded cool. I've used it for various forums names since 2002 or so. I think this is the only forum where I still actively post with this username. Most of the time if I register at a new site, it's already taken.

I didn't even particularly like Bacardi Razz back then. And now I only drink beer so my username is pretty irrelevant.

jackyl posted:

I wanted something that would not be easily googleable for internet detective type bullshit when I was first registering.
Also this.

razz fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 9, 2013

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I once met a dog who loved the poo poo out of waffles.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I took mine from a Rolling Stones song.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I used to play Impossible Creatures a lot, and the Chamale is a whale-sized chameleon that swims. I still use the name online, but I was a little poo poo as a teenager so I might want to change it at some point. BANS CURE GIP would make a good name, I think.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Something like ten years ago I joined a lovely RP forum with the username "Olaf da fool" or something like that, but one guy would just not spell it right, and kept calling me Ofaloaf instead. I liked that name, though, so I ended up using it everywhere else.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

From a namechange thread! I had this cat avatar, hence the name. I like it.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
It's the title of my favorite song.

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ube.vo5P8PSpbdM

Metamucil
May 10, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

Mine is a big dumb reference to a half-baked hypothesis for why various types of memes gravitate to areas with similar memes and propagate around their own ilk, and how those memes tend to form superficially apparent dynamic clusters that resemble physical systems rather than simply genetic/environmental systems. So it's a kind of application of memetics beyond memetics. It's not metamemetics because that already means a thing.

:aaa: I've read your username a million times before and I only just now realized that its 'Paramemetic' and not 'Parametric.'

Metamucil is a foul, orange-flavored fiber supplement that my dad has had every morning for probably the past ~20 years.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I saw Fight Club in college, and adopted the "I am Jack's..." phrase for a number of different too-long internet handles. It eventually evolved into IMJack.

Polythene Pam
Dec 27, 2007

And I thought MY super hyper weapon was small...!
A song called Polythene Pam by The Beatles.

quote:

Well you should see Polythene Pam
She's so good-looking but she looks like a man
Well you should see her in drag dressed in her polythene bag
Yes you should see Polythene Pam
Yeah yeah yeah

Get a dose of her in jackboots and kilt
She's killer-diller when she's dressed to the hilt
She's the kind of a girl that makes the news of the world
Yes you could say she was attractively built
Yeah yeah yeah

Goop.com Webmaster
May 8, 2013
It came to me in a dream.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My name is Joe and I liked pokemon when I was 11.

Horrormelon
Jan 28, 2009

Only Gallagher can save us now.
Phantom's a nickname that I've had since I was in middle school that the kids at my lunchtable gave me. I was pale, into parapsychology and ghost-hunting :ghost::respek::science:, and had a weird habit of appearing and disappearing unexpectedly. Like, I walked quietly and would awkwardly forget the hellos and goodbyes that well-adjusted folks usually do. :ms:

And Watson's my last name.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Hawkeye's "Nightblade" incarnation from my favourite game when I was ~14, Seiken Densetsu 3.

TotalBlammBlamm
Apr 14, 2007

Wham bam, thank you ma'am!

Halloween Jack posted:

The David Bowie song "Diamond Dogs." I've had people assume that it was due to an obscure Marvel Comics character, or a character from the tabletop RPG SLA Industries, but nope.

Do you live on top of Manhattan Chase? :hfive:

Mine is from the David Bowie song "Suffragette City".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
My dog is an adopted Puerto Rican street dog, otherwise known as a sato.

Also I'm a big Legend of Korra fan, and Sato is the last name of one of the characters. I liked the coincidence.

• Locked thread