Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

khysanth posted:

I'd really like to try one of these retreats but with a wife who doesn't meditate using all my vacation days for a year for it seems pretty unreasonable. :(

Further to Leon's post, some additional examples from zen centers:

http://www.sfzc.org/cc/display.asp?catid=2,6,120
http://www.rzc.org/sesshins-meditation-retreats/upcoming-sesshins/

Look around and you may well find something that works for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Ugrok posted:

Oh no Paramememetic, i was reacting to this post :

Sorry, i should have been more precise...

(About "finding who you are", i did not want to use that expression to mean that you have to find out about your personality or such ; finding who you are, for me, means realizing that "who you are" is not something stable, it's always moving, it IS movement and time itself. When you realize that, attachments cease by themselves.)

Those last days i have had my practice tested ; it was really difficult and interesting at the same time. I had terrible tooth ache, had to undergo surgery to remove my wisdom teeth, etc etc ; it is in those moments, not too terrible but a bit unnerving with the constant pain, the stress from the surgery, etc, that you have a chance to see where you are in the practice. Well, all i can say is that i am far from being calm, wise, and cool when things go wrong. I was desperate, i tried to use practice to get better, i wanted to cry, i bothered everyone around me, ahaha, it was quite a mess ; but at the same time, i did keep practicing, and it helped me a lot ; but when it helped me the most is when i did not try to do anything at all. It is "easy" (not really) when everything is ok ; but when everything hurts, it's a whole different experience, it becomes very hard to not want things to be different. Finally i think that i came to the point that Kodo Sawaki often mentions : "zazen is good for nothing" ; you cannot practice zazen for yourself or for something else, you practice zazen for zazen.

I'm surprised to see the reference to Kodo Sawaki - are you in the Southern U.S. by any chance?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Ugrok posted:

Hello Folderol !

No, i'm in France. Here, the most famous teacher was Taisen Deshimaru ; he established most of the zen centers in the country during the 70s and 80s, and his teachings are the most well known.

However, there are also a few teachers (including mine) who are from Nishijima's lineage (same as Brad Warner) ; and Nishijima is from Kodo Sawaki's lineage, so we know about Kodo Sawaki...

But anyway, i think by now i have read most of the 20th century zen master's books and teachings, i guess ; and i just love Kodo Sawaki, even if there is no book from him, the current antaiji abbot gathered his teachings on his site, here is my favourite, "To you" :

http://antaiji.dogen-zen.de/eng/kodo-sawaki-to-you.shtml

There are also a few very good and moving texts about Sawaki and his friends / disciples in the book "Living and Dying in zazen". The stories of the japanese zen masters are incredible ; from the guy who spent his life practicing zazen in a park and playing the flute, to the man who practiced 9 hours a day for years and years and basically did nothing else, it's quite crazy and beautiful. It's a book i would recommend to anyone interested in zazen !

Very interesting! There was a student of Taisen Deshimaru's in Paris who later founded a group of Zen centers in the Southern U.S., and it was through them that I became familiar with Taisen Deshimaru (I have a copy of The Way of True Zen sitting around here somewhere) and Kodo Sawaki. I also happen to have met Brad Warner's teacher not long ago (he still practices at Kent State), but I didn't realize he was under Kodo Sawaki's lineage as well.

Anyway, this is the first time I've heard Kodo Sawaki's name referenced in nearly ten years. Many thanks for the information, and for the link and book reference - I'll have to check those out!

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

The-Mole posted:

Just as a brief aside: Buddha apparently said, "Scrutinize spiritual teachers like a gold merchant scrutinizes gold." Talk to em, engage em, get a sense of who they are and what's important. Not everyone in robes is in them for the same reason.

As someone who has learned this lesson the hard way, I can tell you that it is excellent advice. Caveat emptor (unfortunately).

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Rurik posted:

I have a question regarding dukkha. I know it means suffering, but hitting a toe against the table's leg also causes suffering and I think that's not called dukkha.

Let's say a person likes some food a lot, for example chocolate. This person can go long times without chocolate, but still experiences cravings for it from time to time, thinks about it and toys around with the idea of giving in to the urge to eat it. Is this dukkha?

Here's Walpola Rahula's perspective; it's not too long and may be helpful to you in sorting this out:
What the Buddha taught: the First Noble Truth

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

The-Mole posted:

I'm aware of literally nothing in Zen that would be diametrically opposed to Christian beliefs.

There is (or was) a Catholic priest who was also a Roshi who used to give talks at the retreat center not far from where I used to live. Not sure how he reconiled it, or what the heirarchy thought of that - I always wanted to attend one of his talks, but never got the chance.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I agree with Ugrok.

If you were simply looking for music that might promote a sense of tranquility, and if you could put up with new-agey pieces, I'd probably suggest Deuter's Wind and Mountain and Nada Himilaya as possibilities. A judgement about what makes you feel peaceful is inherently going to be incredibly subjective, and those albums aren't Buddhist in any sense whatever, but they are what would come to mind as possible leads.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Blue Star posted:

I'm just wondering whether or not complete egolessness can be experienced through meditation. I'm intrigued by it. I understand emptiness and dependent origination intellectually but I don't feel them. I don't feel like I'm "one with all things" and "everything is connected", even if they intellectually make sense to me. But I want to feel it and know it on a visceral level. Because sometimes I think about it and think "It's a nice thought, but I'm really just trying to make myself feel better about dying and disappearing." In a GBS thread, I used an analogy about how I look at existence: that everything is like waves on an ocean. The waves are ephemeral and transient, but the ocean remains. So when I die, it's like my wave is breaking and receding, but I was never separate from the ocean to begin with, and it's only my pattern that is disappearing. Except that I also used the word "God", and I wonder if all I did was use a cutesy metaphor.

Meditation is a wonderful vehicle for insight, but benefits tremendously from (and may be very difficult without) the balance of the eightfold path (or something similar). Thinking it over clearly isn't doing it for you - why not try it out for a few months and see where it leads you?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Razage posted:

I'm looking to get my feet wet in Buddhism so I can see if it's right for me. This thread has been a neat read although confusing at times because I don't know some of the words.

Does anyone know anything about Diamond Way? They came up in a google search for Buddhism in my area.

There's been some controversy around Ole Nydahl; I'd suggest you do a bit of research on him before you decide whether to visit.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Further to the above, What the Buddha Taught is a pretty good introductory work:
http://www.amazon.com/What-Buddha-Taught-Expanded-Dhammapada/dp/0802130313

If you prefer to read PDFs or have a Kindle or high speed printer there are various PDF copies available online for free.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

This is included in the first page links, but there are a number of guided meditations available at dharmaseed, and you can search by teacher, talk and even retreat: http://www.dharmaseed.org/

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

The-Mole posted:

Also to quote Saadi: "How people talk about others around you is how they will talk about you around others."

I hadn't head of Saadi before, and it seems he had quite a fascinating life, one that I think I'm going to try to learn more about - many thanks for mentioning him!

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Mr Tastee posted:

You spend eternity trying again and again to attain Nirvana, but it never works. That just seems like a massive waste of time.

The claim is that by doing certain things, you will suffer less.

Why not just try it out and see for yourself if it works.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Rurik posted:

Thanks, this kind of reassurance means a lot.

I feel this whole thing has progressed really rapidly past few days. Like I wrote earlier, I was spending the weekend at my aunt's in the country. I felt anxious and restless there as well, but picking lingonberries in the forest put my mind at ease. Chopping firewood worked too.

During the weekend it struck me how codependent I really am. On Saturday and Sunday I was pretty anxious because of how little my girlfriend was texting with me. So far we've been in constant communication with each other. We live together, but each morning on our way to work/school we've texted each other trivialities such as "have a nice day, I hope you slept well". And when at school or not together we've texted as well. Our fifth anniversary is this month, but I didn't think until now that we've been in way too close a contact with each other. Both my friends and my aunt have said this amount of texting is unnecessary and not normal. (Now that I wrote this it seems clearly like dukkha to me.)

When she suddenly dropped the amount of contact during the weekend I got worried if something was on her mind, if she wanted to dump me. Yesterday she finally came through and said she wants to move on her own, because living together causes her anxiety. However she doesn't want to end our relationship. I took it surprisingly well, because for the past day or two I had really thought a lot about how we've been in excessive contact and I had planned to give her space anyway. The fact that she didn't want to dump me made me also happy, since that's what I was fearing. Also if we lived separately I'd have a much better chance at solving my codependency.

Yesterday we went to the gym together and I expected us to go home together as well, but she went swimming with her friend. That's when I did something I don't usually do: called my friend and went hanging out. My girlfriend is pretty introverted and when she moved to the city we live in when we moved together she had nobody her but me. She didn't want to see other people that much either. And I accommodated her by letting my other social life stagnate (I had learned to adapt to my mother's needs after all). This year we've been going to the gym which has given my girlfriend a lot more energy and confidence, but I've been stuck in my routine of being either with her or at home and waiting for her to come. I've seen my friends sometimes, but rarely. The ones I've seen the most are my girlfriend's friends as well, so it's "my" friends I have seen the least - the ones who aren't part of her social circle. I've even seen less some of the people she hasn't liked even though she has said it doesn't bother her if I see them.

It occurred to me just yesterday how wrong all that is. Now that I've seen it I can't understand how I didn't notice it before, but it was the same with burning out because of too much work two years ago. Anyway, now that I've noticed this I've decided that not anymore: yesterday I want to see a friend, today I'll go to play board games with my fellow students (after seeing my therapist), tomorrow I'll probably watch a movie with the friend I saw yesterday, the day after that I'll go to the local Buddhist sangha (there are meetings for beginners every Thursday, but I've gone only twice in over two years, but now I will be going every week) and on Friday I'll go to a museum with a friend and to another friend's house welcoming party.

Earlier the thought of doing new stuff and seeing people made me anxious, because I didn't know how to. But this was surprisingly easy, I made all those plans yesterday.

My emotions are still a rollercoaster and I feel frightened when I think about the future ("how will I manage?" - since over two years ago my girlfriend has always been there for me when I've been anxious, and this is what's tired her, but as long as I'm capable to work I'll endure discomfort from time to time), but overall I am hopeful right now. :) Even though being hopeful makes me scared as well. But at least I've identified fear as part of my thought process and perspective, which has lessened its power.

So many thoughts come to mind reading this, of which very few relate to Buddhism. You should really cross post this to E/N.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Rurik posted:

Yeah, the same came to my mind. Originally I planned to say only that I'll attend to the local sangha each week from now on, but then all that other stuff came out as well. I won't be posting about this here anymore, at least if it doesn't relate to Buddhism. I won't be starting an E/N thread now either. I guess I just really valued Buddhists' perspective.

You should absolutely keep posting here, because the perspectives in the thread are indeed very valuable ones.

It's just that you could get even more feedback if you *also* have a general thread, since people could reply fully without worrying about creating a derail.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

This is general non-drinking advice rather than dharma advice, but as someone who's abstained from drinking for at least the last 15 years, some of which were spent in, of all places, New Orleans, I've confronted that problem many many times. You can decide to forego that precept, but how it will work out will depend a lot on whether your heart is really in the endeavor of social drinking, or whether it is instead a grudging concession that will make you feel bad, physically and ethically. I don't at all harbor animosity or judgment of people who enjoy social drinking, assuming it's not overtly harming them or those they interact with, but in my case when I did the social drinking thing it felt insincere and out of kilter with the direction I was going in, in addition to leaving me with a few nasty hangovers. So I ultimately decided not to do it again. What feels appropriate for you may very well differ.

What I did *not* decide to do, however, was forego socializing, even with those actively drinking. It's true that drinking is, in a way, a team sport, so there's the potential to feel or be left out, but what I found (and again your experience may differ) was that I could do just as well grabbing a soda or tonic water and lime In a tumbler, that I could have fun, and feel lighter and better doing so, without the overhang of the alcohol buzz, that I could enjoy being with my friends when they were sober and when they were not, and that I could be there both for myself and for others at the end of an evening when the time came for everyone to get home responsibly.

Best of luck to you.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Some lovely cave temple photography in a piece over at Huffpo:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/15/buddhist-cave-temples_n_4775101.html

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Ugrok posted:

In the end you just live your life as best as you can, you take shits and eat and do stuff, and you continue sitting.

The Roshi at the Zen Temple where I used to live used almost exactly these words to describe zazen.

e: Same tradition and lineage, so I guess it shouldn't be surprising.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Ugrok posted:

Well, you know, it feels like every second i live is just gone and can never be lived again. It's really really sad. And there is the anxiety : where does that sense of permanence come from ? How can i be the same, moment after moment, when in fact everything that makes me is forever lost, moment after moment ? It's exactly as pricjly pete described : what the hell am i going into if nothing stays from moment to moment ?

This reminded me of a passage from Suzuki that I thought you might appreciate:

D T Suzuki, Essays in Zen Buddhism, vol. 1 posted:

Life delineates itself on the canvas called time, and time never repeats; once gone, forever gone; and so is an act once done, it is never undone. Life is a sumiye-painting which must be executed once and for all time and without hesitation, without intellection, and no corrections are permissible or possible. Life is not like an oil painting, which can be rubbed out and done over time and again until the artist is satisfied. With a sumiye-painting any brush stroke painted over a second time results in a smudge; the life has left it. All corrections show when the ink dries. So is life. We can never retract what we have committed to deeds; Zen therefore ought to be caught while the thing is going, neither before nor after. It is an act of one instant. This fleeting, unrepeatable and ungraspable character of life is delineated graphically by Zen masters who have compared it to lightning or sparks produced by percussion of stones.

The idea of direct method appealed to by masters is to get hold of this fleeting life as it flees and not after it has flown.

Separately, I was thinking about picking up a copy of Opening the Hand of Thought, having seen it recommended in a few places. Would you happen to have read it, and if yes, any impressions?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I love traditional Tibetan sandalwood incense, because it smells like burning logs of sandalwood and reminds me of monasteries in Tibet.

Any brands / sites you'd recommend for Tibetan sandalwood incense?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I have an improved understanding of Avici as a result of this discussion.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

De Nomolos posted:

I am stepping very slowly into this thread, in hopes that I may better understand what I can learn from this path as a possible way out of a life saddled with poor anger management, depression, and judgement of others. I should also mention that I have decided that in dealing with my marriage, I have decided that rather than worrying about my wife's personality and whether it is that or simply her behavior and mine causing stress, I am first and foremost going to heal myself.

Couple of questions:

1. Practicing and nonpracticing spouses: what are your thoughts? My wife has always been open, curious, and admiring of this tradition, but still also remains hesitant due to potential parental disappointment (I once did as well). I do not expect that she would join me, not do I want to push the issue. Can it work? Obviously using Buddhism to fix a marriage is foolish. I'm just looking to repair myself first, as I cannot repair someone else. The rest flows organically from that.

2. Has anyone here raised children as followers, or were you raised as a follower? Did you feel it was helpful and in what ways?

3. My town has one real center. It's one of the "cult" groups (SGI). Suggestions for connecting with others if I cannot find another local group?

If you are in fact dealing with (among other things) depression and marital difficulties, and if you also have children, I would strongly suggest you consider therapy (for yourself) (and medication if that is appropriate) and marital counseling. I think I can safely say that Buddhism is a wonderful path, but it is not therapy or counseling. Relatedly, given that you are dealing with these issues, you should consider opening an EN thread, in addition to pursuing your questions about Buddhism in this one.

Best of luck to you.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

There's an affiliate of San Francisco Zen Center there that might be worth checking out; here's the link to their teacher's bio:
http://www.ancientdragon.org/taigen_dan_leighton/full_bio

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Frykte posted:

Just a thought I had: South Park is often criticized for it's 'truth is in the middle' approach to politics and yet the Buddha taught the middle way as the path to enlightenment.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Myrmidongs posted:

Thich Nhat Hanh's Miracle of Mindfulness is on the Amazon monthly ebook sale if anyone is interested.

Went ahead and picked up a copy for Kindle. Thank you!

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

Because I'm a big dumb idiot who likes doing work where I risk my life, and lab work helps me get other jobs where I can do that also, haha

If you really feel that way, there's tremendous need in West Africa right now among many many suffering people, and my impression is that MSF is always looking for help.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Prickly Pete posted:

Isn't he the same guy who had a bunch of followers who tried poisoning people in Oregon? I might be mixing up my religious figures.

I'm not speaking about his teachings but the name sounds familiar.

Yep, he's that guy:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajneesh

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I subscribe to several Dharma related podcasts*, one of which is published by the San Francisco Zen Center. A recent talk there was given by Robert Sharf, a Professor of Buddhist Studies at UC Berkeley. It was very interesting and reminded me of many of the discussions in this thread and its predecessors, so I thought I'd link it here:

Is Mindfulness Buddhist? And Why it Matters.

*These are an amazing resource, by the way. Dharmaseed alone publishes more talks than I can possibly listen to; I've been trying to limit myself to just the Joseph Goldstein talks, but even that is difficult.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I've subscribed to a number of Buddhist podcasts, and lately feel as though I'm on a sort of constant retreat, at least in terms of taking in daily dharma talks (there are way more than I could actually give meaningful attention). One question that I've been thinking about in that context (albeit one only indirectly related to the substance of the talks) is: in what directions do Buddhists see Buddhism going as it assimilates into the West (especially with the advent of larger numbers of Western teachers and students). I'd be interested to hear your opinions on this, if any of you care to offer them, for example:

- Will there be a cultural adaptation, as seems to have happened, at least to some extent, with the movements to China and Japan (changes in vestments, chanting in English or other Western languages, etc.)?

- Will there be a heavy emphasis on meditation and/or certain types of meditation (e.g., in response to the popularization of MBSR) as a key practice or will a broader, different and/or differently balanced range of practice prevail?

- Will there be a different emphasis on (or forms of) lay participation?

- Will Buddhists' orientation be syncretic or will the existing traditions remain discrete?

- Will some of the more religious or metaphysical elements of Buddhism (e.g., Brahma requesting that the Buddha teach) wind up with less emphasis in the West?

To clarify (because there has been some discussion of related points in the past), I am not trying to assert a position on how any tradition ought to develop or to imply that Western / Enlightenment sensibilities and/or a denuded form of practice should develop here; rather, I am genuinely curious about how people think the traditions will, in fact develop (or not) as they mature in the West. I certainly don't want to raise an inappropriate line of discussion, so if, on balance, there's a feeling that this question would be better raised in a different context, just let me know and I'll edit it out.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Prickly Pete posted:

If anyone has any good podcasts or specific talks to share, that would be a good contribution to the thread.

The podcasts I currently have on my phone feed (I listen via bluetooth when commuting) are:

Dharmaseed
San Francisco Zen Center
Insight Meditation Society (Joseph Goldstein, et al.)

The podcasts are constantly updating with new material from talks and retreats, and the new material downloads automatically on iphone; I assume it's pretty much the same on android, but I'm not using an android phone so I can't be sure.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 2, 2014

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I have had (and have) somewhat similar issues to deal with, so I will hazard a few comments to add to the fine and thoughtful (and probably better) advice that's already been offered:

- Metta is a wonderful and purifying practice, but it can be extremely difficult (for me anyway). I apply it as broadly as I can, but, like you, I still have difficulty with applying it to certain people (including myself). I think it helps to try, though, and some days are better than others in terms of widening the circle. One thing that's sometimes been helpful for me is thinking about the view of a person that that person's parents would have had: their joy at his or her achievements, their pain at his or her suffering, and how tragic they would view an outcome where he or she was, even as a result of his or her own actions, bereft of the love of family or others. They would acknowledge and regret the wrongdoing, but with sadness, love and compassion. I guess I would also say keep trying, because bitterness really is a burden, and some progress will surely occur over time.

- Naming has been something that has been helpful for me during meditation. When I find myself following trails of emotion or thought, observing that that is what is happening and making a mental note of the emotion or thought ("anger" or "thinking") immediately takes away some of the sting and distractedness. The "hand of thought" is no longer grasping, but open.

- In terms of attachment to particular outcomes or states of affairs, I try to think to myself that person A is likely to behave in manner X, as that person often has, and to tailor my own actions accordingly, and without judgment. The approach is akin to seeing potentially dangerous wildlife: I don't hate (and in fact even admire) the lion, even though I know that the lion might well attack me or my loved ones if we approach too closely; I take the requisite precautions and (internally) accept the lion for what it is.

Best of luck to you, Guildencrantz.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

It turns out the government of China is even more powerful than anyone had thought:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/12/w...pe=article&_r=0

quote:

Zhu Weiqun, a Communist Party official who has long dealt with Tibetan issues, told reporters in Beijing on Wednesday that the Dalai Lama had, essentially, no say over whether he was reincarnated. That was ultimately for the Chinese government to decide, he said, according to a transcript of his comments on the website of People’s Daily, the party’s main newspaper.

Decision-making power over the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama, . . . resides in the central government of China,” said Mr. Zhu . . . .

Personally I'm hoping the PRC, for a small gratuity, can use some of its karmic power to help me out with a comfortable reincarnation.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Rurik posted:

I have been enjoying Ajahn Brahm's videos. He is wise, compassionate and down-to-earth. I like it how he offers a perspective of how Buddhism can be applied to everyday life.

Lately I've been interested in knowing more about Hinduism and Taoism. Are there videos by any good speakers of those religions? I'd rather learn about the subject that way than by reading a dusty 500 page book.

For any Buddhist, there is one dusty tome you really should take in and that is the translation of the Yoga Sutras by Bryant. It's lengthy, but includes comparative discussion highlighting doctrinal differences from Buddhism, as well as an overview of Hindu schools of thought that will be helpful as you consult other sources. By their nature, the Sutras do include a discussion of siddhis (which I think most people either disregard or view as metaphorical), as well as material on the efficacy of devotional practice (bhakti). Despite these, and despite the metaphysical architecture that underlies the Sutras, the system remains fundamentally one of practice and effect: Behave ethically, meditate, awaken and obtain (perhaps) some respite from karma. It thus serves as an interesting counterpoint to the Buddhist approach.

After that, and because they are quick reading, I'd suggest you take in the Gita and a collection of Upanishads. There are many translations available, but the popular translations by Easwaran are a fine place to start.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

an skeleton posted:

Yeah, its a small incremental change. But what would my life for the next 5 years be like if I meditated 10-15 minutes a day, every day, vs. not? If anyone in this thread thinks that it wouldn't be a noticeably positive trend for all the motives I mentioned, I'd be surprised.

If you meditate regularly, and do the things that help the practice in your daily life, the effects will be revolutionary. Go for it, and best of luck to you!

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 17, 2015

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

goodness posted:

Getting out of the Western society way of thinking is the exact experience that I have had with them. The first time it felt like the weight and constraint of society was erased from my body and I could start fresh with a new look on the world and how it is all connected. And that eventually led me to look into all this.

This runs a bit afield of Buddhism, and the quality of posts and threads is hit or miss, but given your interests, I might suggest the following as a forum that may be of interest to you, and where some of the posters may have a similar perspective:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/82

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

goodness posted:

Is Buddhism an impersonal thing though? Everything I was reading was making me feel so great, real and full consciously that I was only wanting to treat the word around me better and myself as well. Maybe he was just a jerk but googling looks like a big part of Hinduism is rejecting the principles of Buddhism?

As Mr. Mambold notes, Hinduism comprises an extremely diverse range of thought, but if you're interested in a comparison with Buddhism, Professor Bryant's translation of the Yoga Sutras includes some very instructive material (as to the Yoga/Samkhya schools, anyway).

Personally I could read comparative religion (and philosophy to boot) all day and be perfectly content, but as Mr. Mabold also suggests, the more relevant question is likely to be: Does the practice work for you?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

This sounds simple, but have you tried using compassion? If you feel anger rising, just think something like 'hello anger, I know you are there'. I have used this method with other feelings, such as sadness that arrises. Sometimes just acknowledging something unpleasant and giving it permission to just be, rather than fighting it, will help you get past it.

Naming and observing are great ways to deal with both emotions and sensations if your goal is not to get too caught up in them during a sit.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Sialia posted:

I realise I have misunderstood somewhat in the wording of my previous post -see the multiple posts pointing to it- I apologise, I realise that everyone here is just learning themselves. I wasn't meaning to offend, if I did so. :)

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your experiences. I have gone and done some further research on the Buddha's life and story and I am finding it fascinating.

Having been an atheist for the last 5 years, I have felt that, though I could bring myself to believe nothing else, it does not have the meaning I crave from life. Part of it is I want to make myself better, but also want the security of believing I am not just an insignificant spark of life that goes out in time. Buddhism teaches- correct me if I have misunderstood- that I am part of the latest iteration in a sea of life, and that being a piece of that collection of life- it almost gives further meaning to it, in the same way it encourages compassion and generosity for each other piece. In a way, we are not a spark of life but, together with all other beings, a roaring flame. The thought is comforting, and I think I will walk away from this believing that regardless.

I was wondering, can anyone suggest a - I think they are called- sutra that I might read? Is this a good idea of what I should enquire into next? Will I understand it?

Additionally, should I look into visiting a Buddhist temple? There are a few near me, I know this. Is there an etiquette about such things? I am feeling a little lost.

An overview of teachings may be helpful to you. Below is one* source; there are others.

Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/What-Buddha-Taught-Expanded-Dhammapada/dp/0802130313

PDF:
https://what-buddha-said.net/library/pdfs/Dr_Walpola_Rahula_What_the_Buddha_Taught.pdf

*Here's another: a compilation that may be of use:
http://www.amazon.com/Buddhas-Words...YZSYWYKPP707ZR4

The OP has some general notes on sects that you may (would probably) want to take in for background before in-person visits. And it's worth reviewing overall.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Feist posted:

Hey folks! Beginner here trying to get into meditation. For the last couple weeks I have been attempting to meditate by counting my breaths. I am counting my breaths from 1-4 on each exhale. I repeat this counting process for 5 minutes. However, I am running into a problem. I am able to start counting with ease but after a minute or two I begin singing the song "1234" in my head, ruining my 5 minute meditation session.

I am wondering if anyone has run into a similar issue and if so is there any way to overcome it?

Meditation is just one facet, and within that facet, there are many, many types of meditation. With a bit of exploration, you may be able to find something that suits you better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Just dropping in to say that I've really been enjoying Don't Be A Jerk, Brad Warner's latest take on the Shobogenzo. I've read all sorts of dry, abstruse, culturally alien and frankly preposterous religious literature without too much difficulty, but I have to admit I've had trouble getting though the Shobogenzo. So it was great to find a heavily paraphrased translation, especially in Warner's unique and irreverent idiom. I'm completely unqualified to judge whether his rendering conveys Dogen fully, but Warner has been studying Dogen for a hell of a long time, so hopefully, in addition to being a fun read, there are at least a few nuggets of wisdom to be had. If anyone is interested in Dogen, but hasn't found his work approachable, this might be worth a look.