Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Reggie Ray was the teacher of Shadowstar, who wrote the OP of the old thread. I don't think he's posted in this one in some time (if ever), but I assume he'd be (if willing) an excellent source of information on Reggie Ray for anyone who might be interested.

e: old thread link
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3339355&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post381011088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

I hope that this all finds you well and you swiftly achieve the state of 1000 armed Ayn Rand, who holds 500 hands in the mudra of supreme wealth accumulation, and 500 hands in the single-digit mudra of "gently caress you, got mine," demonstrating individual liberation as most important. After all, Buddhism is an individual effort, and trying to benefit other sentient beings will simply make them more comfortable and lazy so that they never achieve liberation. :v:

I greatly desire this as a Thangka painting and will experience untold suffering if it is not available.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

HoboTech posted:

Having a small conundrum.

Next week is the July 7-day sesshin at the Rochester Zen Center in New York. I've been going to these for about four years now, doing one or two sesshin a year. Been sitting 45 mins a day, 5 days/week since this time last year in preparation for this coming sesshin. I sat regularly before this, just not as long/consistently.

However, now that I'm a week away, I'm not sure what to do:

If I go, then I will have a single day of earned/sick time for the rest of the year (six more months). Granted I have a semi-flexible schedule if I get sick, but 8.25 hours will be it for the year.

If I don't go, then I'll regret not going. I'll also probably burn the vacation time in the long-term doing frivolous crap like always.

I can cancel any time before showing up, and the Roshi is not my formal teacher (don't have one), but I feel this weird obligation even though I know they wouldn't notice my absence in the slightest.

Any thoughts? Am I just being lazy?

The Three Pillars of Zen was one of the first books about Buddhism I ever read and started me on a practice path that's lasted for decades. I've been wanting to go to RZC forever - how do you find Roshi Kjolhede?

I definitely can't give you a technical answer as a matter of the Eightfold Path (so I may be wildly off here), but my instinct would be to tell you that if you're going to be doing yourself potential harm by going, which might well be the case if you can't meet your physical needs in the event of an illness, it wouldn't be responsible or appropriate for you to go. Maybe you could go to the September 9 sesshin and not burn any time?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

HoboTech posted:

Edit: Never mind! I've decided to go. I'll take my chances.

Would you mind posting your impressions when you get back? I've been reading yet another translation of Shobogenzo, and it's making me want to go the extra mile and do some group practice. I'd also be curious about some of the points that may differ from Soto only practice: sitting, kyosaku, koan, etc.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Mo Tzu posted:

well it's not so much that humans CAN'T, it's that the era in which through self power humans can achieve buddhahood has passed. the founder of jodo shinshu, shinran, lived in the kamakura period of japanese history, which was characterized by widespread war and political instability (the first warring states period, essentially). this, coupled with him and honen (his teacher and one of shinran's seven pure land masters) being laicized by the emperor because other students of honen had some inappropriate contact with the retired emperor's concubines (i'd like to think it was consensual, but let's be honest it probably wasn't) led shinran to doubt the efficacy of the intense meditative practices he engaged in on mt hiei as a member of the tendai sect. he believed he was living in mappo, and as a result thought that self power could no longer be relied on as a means to buddhahood

so it's not so much that humans are entirely depraved by their natures, so much as our place in history has lead to human depravity of such a level that we cannot attain buddhahood through our own effort

Not sure if this is directly relevant to you (does shin consider itself part of jodo?) but Chion-in is an amazing, beautiful temple.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Cephas posted:

I think I'm starting to get some of it. Any individual life contains its worth of suffering, and the middle way can alleviate suffering in an individual life cycle, and the wisdom and lessons learned in one life may benefit another life to come; or lessons left unlearned will need to be learned in lives to come. But more than that, to be bound to samsara means being bound to countless rebirths, with ups and downs, but it's not the "downs" that you're trying to dissipate through the middle way, it's being bound to samsara itself. Because rebirth is not linear, and a deva might be reborn as a chicken? And any wisdom to be gained in one life will hopefully take one closer to reaching nirvana, which matters far more to the Buddhist than being born into a comfortable luxurious life where no wisdom is gained. Am I heading in the right direction with this?

Buddhism, in its various forms, recommends taking certain concrete actions as a means of reducing suffering and / or achieving some sort of insight about life as we actually life it. Rather than worrying about metaphysics, why not just try it out and see whether it works for you?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Cephas posted:

I've been meditating about 15 minutes a day lately, and it's been nice. I find that it's kind of like getting my calibrations set--I get a good feeling of "this mental space is a good place to try to make my default setting," so later on in the day if I find myself getting too wrapped up thinking about things, I can try to return to that mental space I had while meditating.

So umm... I don't want to spend unnecessary money on meditation tools. It looks like a zafu and a zabuton go for like $80 combined on Amazon, and that's just too much for me to spend on a couple of cushions right now. I already have a futon I can sit on so I assume a zabuton is redundant. I've been putting a pillow in between my legs and sitting in seiza, since I use that posture a lot in martial arts. By the end of meditation, my feet are noticeably red and there's some tingling or numbness that takes a while to get rid of. The physical sensation doesn't bother me, but I'm just concerned about if this is physically healthy or not regarding blood flow. Is there something I should be doing differently or be on the lookout for? The last thing I'd want is for meditation to lead to an unhealthy outcome.

Personally I have a lot more trouble with seiza than a cross legged position with a zafu; the pressure is a lot less, for me at least. But if you prefer seiza why not just get a seiza bench? Might set you back a few bucks, but would keep all the weight off your legs / knees.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

If you choose not to do seiza, you can, instead of buying a zafu (though they are great), just fold up a pile of towels or blankets for elevation.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

Does it make you a better person, a happier person? Does it reduce your suffering without causing suffering for others? Great then. :waycool:

Does it make you a more miserable person? Does it increase your suffering or cause suffering for others? Eh, don't do that thing.

The question over secular Buddhism isn't about whether or not it's "okay," it's about whether or not it gets to be called "Buddhism" normally. Most traditions define a Buddhist as someone who takes Refuge in the Three Jewels, and who makes an attempt to adhere to the teachings that come with that, that is, accepting the Four Noble Truths and following the Noble Eightfold Path.

You don't have to receive the empowerments to manifest yourself as Hevajra so you can enter into the mandala etc etc etc if that's not your thing.

I think the only discord that ever comes from that is when people from different approaches to Buddhism cross into one another's spaces and then start tossing around "my Buddhism is better than yours" type nonsense. It goes both ways, both white American materialist Buddhists going "psh, all that silly superstition is just those goofy primitive Asians who aren't as enlightened about scientific materialism as we Americans" or the Asian practitioners looking at that same American "secular" Buddhist going "psh that guy doesn't even do ritual, he doesn't even have a guru!" and so on.

Both of these are kind of silly approaches but they're very human approaches.

So I'm doing that thing where I type too much again but basically if you're a secular Buddhist and you don't want to believe that there are literal spirits and that hungry ghosts are real things that's fine by me, I'm totally cool with that. Similarly I am going to literally plan practices based on lunar phases and invisible progressions of elemental cycles and that's cool.

tl;dr: Practicing Buddhism while having a Western materialist perspective is cool and good, trying to reject more traditional Buddhism as some kind of primitive rites of backwards people is not.

The spirit of acceptance and inclusion in this post is extremely encouraging. Perhaps, in the best way, an indication that a new thread might be in order?

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 29, 2016

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Mo Tzu posted:

Apparently you boil the worms inside their cocoon so it does kill the worms, and it has a higher carbon footprint to boot

Plus I personally prefer cotton, though I think we're all aware of the problems cotton has had, historically speaking

Hey I saw that you have some posts in the Christianity thread as well, so I thought you might find the below of interest, mainly in light of the Roshi, who is also a Jesuit priest.

http://kennedyzen.tripod.com

Eta: Ever since my visit to Chion-in I've been feeling a kind of tidal pull toward Japanese Mahayana.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 23, 2016

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

i take it you're exclusively committed to pure land at this point? if you feel comfortable discussing it, what led you to move from catholicism to pursuing both, and then from that to just pure land? as to the latter, was it more a feeling of discomfort with the differences in doctrine/cosmology (and/or being less happy with orthopraxy, syncretism, etc.) or more feeling at home with pure land, or a combination of these, or something else?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Mo Tzu posted:

I'm trans and the Catholic Church is not a fan of that whole way of being, but Jodo Shinshu doesn't care. I also found Jodo Shinshu's faith alone approach interesting, since I've never been a fan of American Buddhism's focus on meditation. After giving up on a career as a theologian I just gave up on being a Christian entirely. I used to be sort of Buddhist before I became a Christian so the anthropology, soteriology, and cosmology were things I was familiar with and could/did believe in, so it was a bit of an outgrowth from that

Thank you so much for your reply, Mo Tzu. It sounds like a very difficult road you've been on. In fact, I can hardly imagine the kind of courage it must have required.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

apropos of nothing in particular, i decided to check out two podcasts recently: hardcore zen (discontinued or inactive) with brad warner; and the rochester zen center podcast with roshi kjolhede. didnt necessarily agree with everything i heard, but both were interesting and i thought both of the speakers were good

sanshin zen also has a podcast (also inactive) that i thought was worthwhile, featuring shohaku okumura

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

been doing zazen again lately

such a simple practice, but i forgot just how challenging it could be

also reading a few translations of shobogenzo (again) and finding it alternately great and extremely confusing (again)

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Enlightenment is like the broken vase reflected in the eye of the disciple. The shards do not tough the eye, nor is the eye injured. Although its pieces and dust are many and distributed widely, the vase is reflected even in the eye of a cockroach. The whole broken vase and the entire room are reflected, even in one spider's tiny eye. Enlightenment does not divide you, just as the vase does not break the eye of the disciple. You cannot hinder enlightenment, just as an eye does not hinder the crashing of the vase onto the tile floor.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

that is a very "loaded" question and involves thinking about

- what your goals are for yoga meditation practice
- whether yoga meditation (which focuses on one pointedness) helps you achieve those goals
- whether the difficulties you mention outweigh any benefit you receive
- whether, if that type of meditation is for you, other vehicles would serve you better (mantra, tratak, etc.)
- whether zazen alone would provide whatever benefit you are seeking
- what type of yoga we're talking about (i assume probably just some variant of hatha, but bhakti, for example, would implicate the below item in a pronounced way)
- whether you care that the theory behind the yoga meditation (and arguably asana, cf. the Hathayoga Pradipika, Siva Samhita, etc.) practice is at odds with the buddhist perspective

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

To add slightly to what Paramemetic said, all sorts of weird mental phenomena are apt to occur if you practice for long enough. I wouldn't characterize your experience as abnormal.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Reene posted:

drat y'all we're not Jains you're allowed to eat poo poo that casts a shadow

not a related question, but what school / tradition do you practice in?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Reene posted:

I never know quite how to answer this question but I started with Tibetan and Mahayana traditions and I was interested in Theravada for awhile but most of my influences and interests still rest with Mahayana.

possibly someday I will find a teacher and figure more out but for now I just study and read what I can get my hands on.

many thanks for the reply! some areas have more centers and richer opportunities and others fewer, but I'm a bit remote, so it's more the latter here, which always leaves me interested in others' experiences and sanghas. (fortunately, though it was pure serendipity, i happened to find a good group in what for the most part is my own tradition: Soto Zen, though I am shamelessly syncretic and mostly practice oriented).

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

My only question with that is what to do with your hands while using a bench? Having your thighs slope down and away makes it seem like your hands would slide away from you in a typical posture, which would not be good.

try the cosmic mudra; super comfortable once you get used to it

also Burmese position is great if you want to do sitting on a high zafu.* i can manage a number of postures, including full lotus these days, but that's always been the most comfortable

here's a video on the zen method, including the cosmic mudra for your hands; turn on english captions and if you watch from about 4:00-6:00 you'll get a sense of the guidance on getting into a seated position

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LL2XUTeoUsM

*if you wind up getting a zafu at some point, and you absolutely should if you're going to do seated meditation without a seiza bench, buckwheat husk filled ones will give you more elevation and support than kapok filled ones (kapok is softer but compresses a bit)

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 3, 2017

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

there may be a slightly greater greater emphasis on observation / labeling in vipassana, whereas in zen (or at least stoto zen) there is a slightly greater emphasis on what has been described as "opening the hand of thought": just seeing and letting go of thoughts and sensations as they arise rather than following or holding on to them. in practice i have found them to be very similar (though by far my main experience has been with zen). when i have done vipassana my / our eyes were closed, whereas in zen they remain slightly open. practice periods can be 25-30 minutes (longer in some cases - sanshin zen apparently does 50 minute sits), sometimes with two in a row separated by a brief walking meditation

zen schools / temples may or may not involve simple rituals such as the manner of walking into a zendo, gassho, whether there is chanting, etc. some are much less formal than others.

there are two main currents of japanese zen, soto and rinzai. there can be koan practice in both, but there seems to be a somewhat greater emphasis on kensho and koan in rinzai, and in rinzai people may face one another in meditation rather than facing a wall. in soto, where my experience lies, the emphasis is on just sitting (shikantaza). there are also non japanese schools.

these are all huge generalizations, and a lot will depend on where you practice, and with whom, with substantial variations even in the same tradition. try out a few possibilities and see what works for you.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

here's 176 pages of ole nydahl / diamond way discussion. i gave it only the briefest of skims, so caveat emptor:

https://forum.culteducation.com/read.php?12,59830,page=1

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

You should suggest he contact Fr. Robert Kennedy, S.J.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

If the priest is sincere is wanting a frame of reference, it would probably also be helpful for him to acquaint himself with the contemplative tradition (modern and past) within Christianity, which would include things like (as a few quick examples among a much, much broader number of possibilities), The Cloud of Unknowing, The Dark Night of the Soul, some of the works of Merton, Fr. Thomas Keating, etc.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Senju Kannon posted:

i'd argue that constantly trying to compare everything you learn about another religion to something in christianity at the start of interreligious dialogue amounts to shooting yourself in the foot. you're far more likely to misinterpret why things are done if you constantly go back to your own religious faith. better to try to understand buddhism on buddhisms many terms than apply it to christianity. once you have a firm foundation THEN you can begin to look for similarities

For clarity, I did not suggest, and do not suggest, a constant comparison of everything to Christianity in inter-religious dialogue. There is merit to the concern you've expressed (and it points to a much broader discussion about comparisons and syncretism that is beyond the scope of this thread), but in the case of a priest I'd be less concerned than you about the kind of misunderstanding you're alluding to (they're generally fairly sophisticated interlocutors) in the context of materials that may be helpful, for a Christian who is a priest, in gaining a frame of reference for a tradition that, broadly speaking, may be more praxis oriented (another can of worms). I would also add that, in relating "A" to "B" it may be helpful to bear in mind what "A" really is in the fuller sense, and while a priest may have had some exposure, it may not be top of mind (the contemplative traditions exist, but the practice and awareness are narrower, including for priests, than the more general liturgical practice).

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Tias posted:

I'm a practicing norse pagan reconstructionist

is there a thread about this? because if not you should start one. it’s actually a pretty interesting topic

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Does anyone here live near Dallas or Fort Worth? Or do you have some personal experience with Sanbo Kyodan Zen?

I have read a ton about many different religions and theologies but I'm a painfully shy, awkward person so I have always kept my studies to myself and my computer. But maybe that's why I've never found something that felt "right." Maybe I need to get out there more and try some stuff. Zen seems like it might be up my alley. Unlike the earlier poster, I prefer the idea of seclusion and introspection. I hear about the world's problems every other second of the day, I'd like some peace of mind for myself.

That's what I'm hoping to find there anyway. I found a meditation group in FW but they recommend new comers go to the Maria Kannon Center in Dallas. There's also the Dallas Meditation on Center which I figure might be worth a visit too since it says it's "interfaith" and I might be able to learn about multiple sects or whatever there.

I mentioned earlier I like religious studies a lot so Zen always seemed not for me. But reading more on it, there's nothing really stopping you from being religious and doing Zen. I can still think about God or gods or other spiritual things. The fact a lot of Catholic Priests do Zen is very intriguing. This sort of religious syncretism is totally my thing.

If you're thinking of exploring Zen, my suggestion would be to start with a somewhat more traditional practice setting (after you get a good sense of Zen in that context, you can then decide on your own whether and how to integrate it with other traditions and practices). I don't think there's anything in the immediate DFW area, but there is Austin Zen Center a moderate drive away from you. AZC is affiliated with San Francisco Zen Center and has a podcast that could help sustain your practice between visits.

Also, one of the luminaries of American Zen, Shohaku Okumura, will be hosting a Genzo-e Sesshin at Austin Zen Center early next year. Registration begins soon, and if there is *any possibility at all* that you can prepare adequately between now and then, it would be *the* way to experience Zen, since, in addition to intensive meditation practice with a wonderful teacher (one of the very best anywhere), you'd be learning about, and directly from, a part of Shobogenzo. Details here:

https://austinzencenter.org/event/genzo-e-sesshin-with-shohaku-okumura-roshi/

Not sure whether the schedule would be the same as at Sanshin in Indiana, where he is Abbot, so you should call ahead to find out if you're interested in attending, but here is what a similar type of retreat would look like at that center:

http://www.sanshinji.org/genzo-e-retreat.html

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

If the OP is ever updated or a new thread generated, please go ahead and add me as a Zen practitioner. I had held off for a long time for a number of reasons, but primarily because of the lack of a regular sangha, which is no longer an issue.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

for a counterexample, in some measure, there’s soto zen, which in practice is about as non theistic as it’s possible to be within the broader context of buddhism / mahayana. any of the writings of dogen will suffice to give a flavor of it, but genjokoan would be a good place to start if you happen to be interested

if you’re looking for other polytheistic traditions, the bundle of traditions grouped under the name hinduism would also be a good area of inquiry, though here again, you’ll quickly find a complex melange of thought around what actually is signified by various dieties

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

that’s a constructive way to understand the traditions comprised by the label, yes, but again there’s a huge diversity of views, not limited to a qualified form of monism

[apologies for the derail]

eta: deep, deep apologies

:negative:

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 4, 2018

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

gassho nofeed

is your group soto or rinzai (or obaku)?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Nofeed posted:

Gassho AP - I guess this is something people type out too then?!

The group is Rinzai, the Osho having learned under Joshu Sasaki Roshi. We sit facing each other, walk and chant in between sitting, have formal tea after the third sit and burn incense throughout. After the practice there is a period of work and cleaning. I haven't any experience with koan, there are no robed figures jumping up and down yelling at me nor has anyone I've seen been struck by a stick unwillingly; all things that one may apparently expect when reading some descriptions of the Rinzai tradition on the web as I just did! The emphasis and direction I've had so far has been on just sitting (And just walking, and just chanting, and just sipping, and just working and just cleaning...) How does this contrast with the Soto practice? I imagine quite a bit the same if one of the greatest differences is "Well, they sit like THAT and we sit like THIS."

It's odd in a way, I probably intellectually know more about Soto so far? My introduction to Buddhism in general has been this thread, and zen in particular by the writings of Brad Warner and transcriptions of talks by Nishijima. I pretty much just googled "zen [cityname]" and didn't pay too much attention to the results when it came to tradition at all. There seems to be a decently sized Soto group following the lineage of Shunryu Suzuki Roshi in my city as too, although their schedule is somewhat less active. Maybe I should give them a try and contrast with my experience above? At this point so early in my practice I can't help but feel it's good enough to just sit and not worry about it too much.

I do come from a military background personally and the thought of being a part of a tradition that historically was practiced by a soldier-class is somewhat appealing, I must admit. I would certainly like to read some more on the subject of differing schools, would you be able to recommend anything?

fake edit: I'm still very new to all this and probably have displayed quite the amount of ignorance on the topic at hand above, apologies!

haha yeah we do type that out

ultimately you have to do what feels comfortable to, and works for, you, but I’d certainly suggest trying out the SFZC / Suzuki affiliate. speaking of which, if you do wind up practicing in the soto tradition, and probably also if you stick with rinzai, I would heartily recommend the SFZC and Sanshin podcasts. i like many of the Zen Center teachers, especially Paul Haller, and Shohaku Okumura is a luminary of american soto zen, with extremely illuminating commentary on dogen’s works.

i don’t agree with brad on everything, but my practice background aligns very very closely with his, so if you’ve read his work, you’ll have a sense of how soto practice has been for me (minus the lengthy stay in japan): focused, as you’d expect, on shikantaza, as all of soto practice is, but with few formalities. it’s a mahayana tradition, so there’s absolutely a doctrinal background, but practice is central and the tradition is regarded as a special transmission outside the scriptures. on the other hand, dogen’s writings articulate the perspective of practice in the context of the concrete and ever changing circumstances of life in a way i haven’t quite found in any other writer of any buddhist or non buddhist tradition, and that is deeply resonant with my experience

koan practice exists in both soto and rinzai, but there tends to be a greater focus in rinzai on koan/ kensho, in contrast to the soto notion that “zen is zazen”. the simplicity, but also amazing depth, of the latter has been a more appealing and useful model for me personally, and that is why, from my perspective, soto is home. but again, you may have a very different experience, and as you’ve already observed the differences can sometimes wind up being more in degree than in kind, depending on the zen center

to give you a sense of the soto outlook (though you already likely have quite a bit from reading brad’s books), without having to plow through the entire shobogenzo, let me recommend How to Cook Your Life, an amazing little book that you can read, footnotes and all, in an afternoon.

best wishes in your choice, and feel free to reach out anytime if you have questions

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Keret posted:

The second question I had is entirely unrelated, but I've just recently moved to Chicago from Austin, Texas, and am looking into practice centers in this city. In Austin I went semi-regularly to the Austin Zen Center which is a lovely establishment, but it doesn't seem that there are any SFZC-affiliated temples here. Does anyone happen to know of a good Zen practice center in Chicago that I should check out?

I don’t live in Chicago, so take this with something of a grain of salt, but Dan Leighton (Ancient Dragon Zen Gate) has a good rep, worked in Japan with Shohaku Okumura and hails from SFZC. Certainly worth checking out, and he also has a podcast.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

dharmaseed is bursting at the seams with guided meditations; and there's a podcast as well

jack kornfield and joseph goldstein also have podcasts that from time to time include guided meditations

n.b.: meditation is a vast topic that goes well beyond he confines of buddhism; and both within and without buddhism there are many different kinds

eta: just get the dharmaseed podcast and try a variety of teachers; that will be a better way of starting out than via an app

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 25, 2018

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Bear in mind that asking what meditation is and how to do it is something like asking what exercise is and how to do it. You can and will get many different answers, each driven by its own theory and with its own practice, that are all correct.

To take a somewhat random example, here is a single buddhist text with a few methods highlighted.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/soma/wayof.html*

And here is another:

https://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng/practice/zazen/advice/fukanzanzeng.html

There are many others. There can be physical meditations, mantras, visualizations.

Outside of the buddhist tradition there are yet more. Many more. There is no one answer or instruction.

And they are situated within traditions that generally prescribe non meditative commitments that foster and are fostered by the practice (e.g., other elements of the eightfold path, in yoga yamas, niyamas, pranayama etc.).

So you are probably going to need to do a bit of research, and some trial and error with different methods, to figure out what works for you in the context of your particular goals.

* personally I find the charnel meditations to be the most efficacious

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

can’t speak for other traditions, but zazen is, as kodo sawaki used to say, good for nothing

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

One of the reasons I’ve really grown to enjoy Dogen is that his writing accords so fully with my experience of zazen, and spiritual practice in general; but it’s a very different kettle of fish from what you’re describing.

The effects of the practice will vary with the practice itself, and there are obviously many types of meditative and contemplative practice. Apart from zazen, I’ve done quite a few over the years

tratak
japa (various types / traditions)
ajapa japa
yantra and other similar
contemplative prayer
kinhin and other forms of walking meditation
vipassana
yoga dhyana (the yoga tradition tends to aim at one pointedness); asana, too can be a moving meditation

etc.

Far from exhaustive: no charnel meditations, for example.

But I wouldn’t put any of these in a waking sleep category.

Still, the cardinal rule in these matters, from my perspective, is to trust your own experience rather than the assurances of others, and although it’s somewhat strange to say, since the sense in which it’s goal oriented is significantly different from the normal sense, if it’s not working for you, you should probably pursue some other vehicle for insight, meaning, peace of mind or whatever other result you were looking for.

Best of luck to you.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

If it makes you feel any better, and whether it does will likely depend on your outlook and tradition, Dogen himself wrestled for an extended period with a question similar to yours: if Buddha nature is omnipresent, why do we need to practice? Do we discover anything more than we would if we brewed some coffe and sat down and read the New York Times Sunday Edition for a few hours or maybe hiked a local trail? If there is something is it some sort of ephemeral trance state? And if not that, how does it add to ordinary experience?

Dogen’s answers extend into many volumes. For my own part, I’d suggest that part of the promise of the practice as a whole is that it can add some degree of insight, penetrating, precise, alert and grounded, into our real, actual lives; how transitory and screened are our experiences; their nature as both particular and universal at the same time, inextricably bound by dependent origination, constantly changing; the very absence of the sort of immutable metaphysical architecture that Plato envisaged, and so on. And that that insight might be reinforced by and reinforce a perspective that perhaps narrows the range of suffering by evoking compassion and helping to reduce unskillful attachment, among other things.

For a much lengthier and far more articulate discussion of these sorts of points, I might recommend Okumura’s recently published book on the Mountains and Waters Sutra, and also How to Cook Your Life, by Dogen with commentary by Uchiyama.

Ultimately, though, it will either bring something to you beyond infantile awareness / just chilling or it won’t. You shouldn’t take my word for it, or Dogen’s, or anyone else’s. And I guess I would also add that if you can find or have found happiness or contentment in a simpler way, then perhaps there is really no far shore for you to reach, whether through this or any other path.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

Describing "meditation" as an activity is exactly not consistent with the higher levels of meditation, at least within Tibetan Buddhism, where the highest forms of meditation are non-meditation, maintaining the state of "ordinary mind" (itself a rather tricky concept, not a translation error, but rather something that even original language Tibetan instructions elaborate on the meaning of as it is deceptive) during one's daily activity.

A bit surprised and intrigued by the focus on ordinary mind within a Tibetan tradition, though Vajrayana as a whole is largely unfamiliar to me. As it happens, there’s a Nyingma temple not far from me; think I’ll have to stop by.

Thanks also for the thoughtful and insightful post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Is it more a phenomenon of popular culture (books / articles promoting MSBR) than Buddhist thought, though? At least in Zen, the temples I've practiced in and those I'm familiar with are deeply steeped in a specifically (and fully) Zen tradition; and even Japanese cultural trappings are very strong. There was a Tibetan Buddhist temple where I used to live, and like the one that's near me currently, the impression at least, without having practiced there, is certainly one consistent with a very traditional approach. I haven't been to IMS / Spirit Rock or Shambala centers. The former are clearly quite a bit more westernized, but at least from the Goldstein / Kornfield etc. podcasts and books their approach seems holistic.