Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I didn't see if you wanted me to repost that Bane stuff in this thread now or wait until it falls into archives or what.

Also, I might be online in an hour or so looking for someone to run sets with. My PSN is ShadowNinja64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Let's talk about Bane for a bit again (this is a repost from last thread for linking purposes with a couple minor edits or additions).

Bane is probably not very good. However, he is pretty fun to play, and he has some intimidating pressure tools, several of which are safe (or mostly safe) on block. He also has his Venom trait that boosts damage but more importantly gives armor to most of his specials (sorry Ring Slam). Specifically, these are which moves get armor at which levels:

Venom level 1 and 2: dbf3 (the grab), bf1 (the running charge), bf2 (the overhead punch), db2 (his silly leaping uppercut)
Venom level 3: all those moves plus f2 and f2d. Apparently these also get armor-breaking properties which I honestly did not know at the time I posted this the first time.

Each level of Venom adds another hit of armor to each of those moves, but the more Venom you pump, the less Venom time you get, the more withdrawal time you get, and the worse the speed and damage debuff during withdrawal. I'm not going to go into detail because a poster on TestYourMight named Doombawkz has covered the math behind his Venom in super fine detail already, but suffice to say that most of the time you want to only be in Venom level 1, with exceptions being A) if you can guarantee a round win and have landed a hit-confirmable combo starter or B) you just need a crazy hail mary anyway. Oh yeah, he also apparently gains less meter from combos the higher his Venom level is at the time, so that's another strike against juicing to the max.

The nice thing about Bane is that Venom management is pretty much the only complicated thing you have to worry about with him. The rest of his game comes from basic but scary and generally safe pressure and hit-confirming into combos that for the most part are really easy to do. Let's talk about his pressure tools real quick:

d1 - 11 frames is slow, but this move makes up for it with being both a low (many other chars have mid-hitting d1) and having great range. Safe on block, and on hit you can continue pressuring with 113, b112, or b23 with only small gaps for the opponent to try and escape/interrupt pressure. You can also cancel into the bf2 Double Punch either way since it is also safe on block. It is also worth noting that a blocked d1 into command grab (not canceled, just do the command grab after the d1 recovers) is a strong option, especially with a level of Venom up to eat a hit from anyone getting antsy and pressing buttons to attempt to escape your pressure.

113 - First hit high stinks, but the last hit is overhead, and the string is safe.

b112 - A slowish starter but it's two lows and a mid, and again it's safe whether you stop at b11 or complete. Easily hitconfirmable into dbf3. b11 is punished by Superman super but b112 is not.

b21 and b23 - 18 frame low, both strings are plus on block, b23 leads to good damage whereas b21 is low then overhead. Some characters with really fast and/or invincible reversals can interrupt between the b2 and the next move, though (at least, Superman super definitely can).

f2d - 11 frame overhead, even on block, special cancelable. It has string additions (f2d2 and f2d3) but you pretty much never want to use them, instead just letting the f2d rock on block, cancelling into bf2 on block, or cancelling into dbf3 on hit. Execution note: If you know you want to cancel the overhead into dbf3 or the dbMB bounce cancel, do the overhead as f2~d/f. The down-forward is enough to make Bane do the overhead, then you can just roll through down to back, then hit forward and 3 for the grab. If you did f2d going straight to down, you would then have to return to neutral, then hit dbf3 for the grab because Injustice's input buffer is weird.

b3 - Absolutely huge range, puts you at plus frames on block, and can be meter burned for armor. This is a strong tool when outside of your d1 range or against opponent jump-in attempts.

jumping d3 - The Body Splash is big and slow but has a strong hitbox that can be hard for opponents to deal with on crossup, even on wakeup. You can then just key in one of Bane's safe string options and confirm from there whether it all comboed or was blocked.

Double Punch (bf2) - -5 on block, meaning that it's safe in most situations. It's also an overhead, so that's pretty cool. Gets armor when Venomed up, making it a strong tool against an opponent's wakeup, and puts you into position to mixup on their wakeup again.

Body Press (dbf3) - Command grab, gets armor when Venomed, another strong tool against an opponent's wakeup and again leads into another wakeup mixup. Meter burn adds more damage but throws them further away. However, the MB version lets you pick which way you throw them, so it can be useful if you land it while Bane is cornered, leading into scary corner pressure for you.

Raging Charge (bf1) - This is Bane's only movement gimmick, and it needs to be used wisely to get in. Smart opponents will time a backwards jump to go over the Charge and punish with a full combo if you just throw it out, so you have to be sure they're doing something before you go for it. It's also worth noting that bf1~MB does like 32% damage on its own in Venom level 3, so if someone's not respecting the threat of it and going nuts with projectiles, you can make them suffer.

Ring Slam (db1) - 3 of the 4 versions mostly suck because they throw the opponent way far away. The fourth, however, is guaranteed to happen in certain combos and leaves the opponent just outside d1 range (see below).

Venom Uppercut (db2) - Venomed up db2 is strong anti-air. Meter burning adds a drop kick that pushes the opponent to full screen, which generally isn't great for Bane, but sometimes the push toward the corner is good, and in the corner it can lead to almost inescapable command grab on their wakeup.

Break the Bat (super) - One of the coolest supers in the game, and you should almost never use it. It's unfortunate, but Bane has too many other things he should be using meter on instead, including:

- b3 (and f3 is you're feeling it in mixup pressure)
- Meter burning interactibles to make sure you get to throw that poo poo at the opponent without getting knocked out of it
- bf1 in certain combo situations where the MB version will cause the elbow drop to cross back over, leaving Bane right next to the opponent on wakeup
- The occasional db2 or even bf2 MB versions for slightly more damage and more push toward the corner
- dbf3 when you need the damage or to throw them back into the corner
- Bounce cancels (dbMB or bbMB) which add respectable damage to certain Bane starter strings
- Clash. Everyone loves Clash.

Of course, Bane's super still has its uses, as confirming a b23 has hit, quickly mashing out Venom level 3, then doing super is 51%. You can actually do b23 444 123 XX super as well, but that gives the opponent the opportunity to recognize you pumped up the juice and Clash out.

This is already more words than I planned on typing, so I'll finish by dumping my modest notepad file of combos, organized by combo starter and then by meter spent. Each combo has damage listed both without and with the jumping d3 Body Splash leading into it, and some of them make special note of the distance Bane is left from the knocked down opponent in a midscreen situation:

High starter:
113 XX dbf3 (25%, 33% with jumping d3 opener, leaves close)
113 XX bf1~MB (30%, 37%, leaves close EXCEPT near corner)
113 XX dbMB j2 123 XX db1 (38%, 45%, leaves just outside d1 range)
113 XX super (41%, 48%, leaves midscreen)
^^ Note: third hit of string is overhead

Mid starter:
b3 j2 123 XX db1 (32%)

Low starters:
d1 XX bf2 (8%)
(blocked d1) XX dbf3 (16%)

b112 XX dbf3 (24%, 32%)
b11 XX dbMB j2 123 XX db1 (33%, 40%)
b112 XX super (41%, 48%)

b23 123 XX dbf3 (29%, 37%)
b23 XX dbMB j2 123 XX db1 (34%, 41%)
b23 123 XX super (40%, 47%)

Overhead starters:
f2d XX bf2 (13%, 21%)
f2d XX dbf3 (21%, 29%)
f2d XX bf1~MB (26%, 34%, leaves close)
f2d XX dbMB j2 123 XX db1 (36%, 43%)
^^ Note, as mentioned earlier, do the f2d as f2~d/f, then roll through down to back and hit MB for the bounce cancel.
f2d XX super (39%, 46%)

f3 j2 123 XX db1 (32%)

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Unbound posted:

How do I keep missing so much important stuff?

On-topic: Does anyone know if the WiiU had a different date for the DLC?

The InjusticeGame twitter said they're pushing for summer. I think it depends on Nintendo playing nice with them, though.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Canceling in general is doing something to cut off the recovery frames of one move and go immediately into the startup frames of another. In Injustice this comes up most often when canceling from a normal or a string of normals into a special. The thing about Injustice is, most of the time you don't have to time the input of the special move like you would in a game like Super Street Fighter 4. You literally just do it as if it were another input of a dial-a-combo string.

The important thing to know about the Injustice engine is that, if you have any excess button presses in your strings, you lose the ability to special cancel. For instance, if you wanted to do 113 XX bf1 with Bane and you hit 1133 XX bf1, the string will come out fine but you won't be able to cancel into his Raging Charge (or anything else) at all.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 10, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Yeah, that thing about extra button presses messing up your ability to special cancel is a big deal for some characters. For instance, Raven's f222 string is hugely important to her both as a tool in the neutral game and as a string to use in combos, but if you mash it out and get f2222 instead, combo over.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Good games Shnucka. Your Catwoman is good, and our connection was just rough enough that I couldn't block MB Cat Dash from 3/4s screen on reaction.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

gannyGrabber posted:

I try so hard. Sorry about lag sn64. Though tbh I wasnt feeling it. Maybe I had host advantage?

It honestly was very playable. Blocking the MB Cat Dash on reaction was the only thing I was having problems with, and I probably would've gotten more used to it (or just played more careful), but I also wasn't feeling like sitting through 5 matches to try again.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

It's probably weird to say this after reposting a big old wall of text about the guy, but I think I'm done with Bane now. I've fallen into the trap before of picking the "interesting but not very good grappler" character early in other games' lives and I think I gotta stop.

Besides, Superman has the advantage of being fun and also being good.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Reposting because new thread:

If you play on PSN add me. I'm: EthnicX.

The online is actually pretty good, as long as I play with people on my friends list.

I need to check and see if you're still on my friends list. I seem to recall us having a decent connection in other games in the past.

Edit: I must've needed friend list room at some point and deleted you, so I went ahead and re-sent friend request.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 10, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The online is actually pretty good, as long as I play with people on my friends list.

If you read this while we are playing, we can do online practice if you want so I can show you some stuff. It'd be handy if you have a headset and/or irc to do it, though.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

gannyGrabber posted:

Ugh Jmcrofts Bane is the stuff of nightmares. That 9 game stomp streak haunts me to this very day.

Catwoman obviously fits the bill here. She is the toppest of tier characters.

I taught him everything he knows. :smug: Okay, not really, but we did have a couple fun Bane mirror sessions.

Also, I need another shot at your Catwoman sometime to see if I can get better at blocking MB Cat Dash.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Tourney player REO seems a bit unhappy with Lobo: http://testyourmight.com/threads/why-is-lobo-so-execution-heavy-rant.32181/

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Great games last night man, you really know your poo poo. Thank you for only playing Superman for a few matches.

And I'm totally down for training mode next time we play (but unfortunately I don't have a mic, and am bad at computers so I don't know what irc is).

For those of you who bought the guide, is it worth the $25?

Next time we play I can tell you an easy way to get on IRC using a web-based client so we can direct message each other. Also, I have the guide, and I'd say pass on it. You'll get better info just going to the TestYourMight forums and browsing threads in the character subforum of your choice.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I typed out a bunch of Harley stuff but got distracted, then saw rocket USA did it better anyway. Here's a few footnotes:

- If you land a 2u3, it goes straight into b3 j2 j2 12 XX Play Doctor.

- In the corner, any combo into db3~1 can finish with f13 f13 112 12 XX Play Doctor. Again, solid damage, with the only tough part being the timing on the f1s and the 112 string to keep them just high enough for all the hits to connect.

- db2 is slow slow startup but it's a mid projectile, and if you MB it Harley recovers almost instantly after it fires, meaning you can follow the bullet in to try and start pressure. To be honest I haven't messed with that idea too much yet, but it's there I guess.

- In the corner, f1 XX db2~MB combos on everyone and 3 XX db2~MB combos on some characters. After either, you can either continue doing f1 XX db2~MB or go into b22 XX db3~1 into the corner BnB. This is fairly gimmicky because f1 is a high but hey, it's there.

- If you use Harley's super at the end of her BnB instead of Play Doctor, you can time 3 XX Play Doctor after they cross over your head for a bit more damage and forced standing. I don't know what her combo is off naked super because I never do it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Jmcrofts posted:

Any PSN goons wanna 1v1?

If you're on late (like 3 hours from now) I'll probably be interested then.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I'm on PSN right now if anyone wants to run some 1v1 sets.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Honestly I feel that Soonmot's posts were a generalization and then an overreaction and that you are vastly underestimating the potential for random folks to be the one sending hate messages because they don't understand the game past the level of "press button, punch dudes", just like AnonSpore said. I don't tend to play random people all that often, but even I have gotten "learn to play, fag" hatemail from the guy who never stops jumping/pressing buttons/not blocking/etc.

Also it sorta sucks to try and be helpful and answer folks' questions and then see people making generalizations like that about the "serious business no fun" fighting game funs.

Anyway, moving back to game discussion, this is probably obvious to some folks, but I saw it on a stream and started incorporating it into my Superman play. In any of his BnBs that go into b3 j3 22 XX df1, instead of ending with 3 XX df2, db1 for max damage or ending with 3 XX bf3 for more carry toward corner, I've started ending with sweep for the untechable knockdown. It sacrifices a relatively small amount of damage to keep Superman in your opponent's face, ready to either go into a mixup off 22, pressure with safe f23 XX breath, or just block and punish a panic wakeup attack.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Injustice at Super Arcade: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive

Seems to be grand finals.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

KombatNetwork streaming Injustice: http://www.twitch.tv/kombatnetwork

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Vindication Series Injustice (fair warning, Aris is on commentary): http://www.twitch.tv/offcast/

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I know that the frame data in the move lists is supposed to be bugged or wrong to some extent, but is there anywhere to find out exactly what is incorrect? Is it all off by x amount of frames or just certain things or ???

As Crofts said, pretty much any multi-hitting move is wrong, and certain other moves are, too. For instance, Hawkgirl's Mace Charge is listed at -8 but you can block Superman's super afterward.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Evil Canadian posted:

I played 27 ranked games tonight, 16 of them involved someone rage quitting on me.

FUUUUCKKKKKKKKKK :ssj:

For something more constructive than just bitching, and maybe this should have been obvious but I only just found it out earlier; is that WonderWoman can cancel into her stance switch off strings. Now this really doesn't mean much outside of some potential corner combos because Sword stance is hot garbage but hey, there it is :unsmith:

Honestly I wouldn't touch ranked with a 10 foot pole until they fix that.

Also I'm pretty sure I told you this before, or at least mentioned it in the last thread, but midscreen Wonder Woman can link from certain SnS strings into 4, Lasso Spin. I think she can do it off 11, 2 and maybe something else I forgot. It's really tough because you can't allow WW to return to a neutral state (because that's how NRS keeps things like ground strings linking into each other and making infinites from happening), and you can't buffer the Lasso Spin's input, so it's essentially a one frame link. If you do get it though, you can do like SnS 11~4 Lasso Spin 23 b3 j3 23 XX Lasso Grab or something like that.

On another note, after getting frustrated at the deficiencies of some of the secondary characters I was trying out, I'm starting to put some lab time into Green Lantern. I'm doing so partly because I like his space control, especially that hitbox on Lantern's Might, and partly because I love his Yellow Lantern outfit.

I was looking at his TestYourMight character subforum in the BnB thread they have for GL, but there's quite a bit of clutter and redundant or unnecessary combo variations. One of the things that helps me learn is writing/typing stuff out, so I've been working on paring the list down a bit to only the necessary variations. It's still a pretty big list, considering that each starter has 0, 1, and 2 meter variations and trait cancels in some of the combos, but in my mind it's an improvement. If anyone would like the list once I'm done fixing it up, let me know and I can post it in here (and then immediately find out I missed something obvious, probably).

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Green Lantern Combo Compendium

Let me start off by saying this is not a post to teach folks how to play Green Lantern. I haven't played him in near enough actual matches to be able to give any more than the most general gameplan advice (harass from range with Oa's Rocket, look to AA anything and everything with Lantern's Might~MB, pressure with safe strings into Minigun, etc.). What it is, however, is a big dumb list of Green Lantern combos from various starters, running the gamut of meterless to 2 meter plus trait cancel usage. I believe these are optimal in most cases and close in the rest.

Note that this is still going to be a big list, and this is actually trimmed down from the GL BnB thread on TestYourMight. For instance, I didn't include any combos that were just one string into Lantern's Might because that's basic and obvious, and I also didn't include combos that assume you already have GL's trait active. Some of the TYM combos were also slightly unoptimized, so I tried to fix that wherever possible. In the interest of not completely overwhelming folks new to the character, I will be bolding certain combos off each starter that I think will be most fruitful to focus on first.

This list also does not address corner combos. The reason for that is simple: for the most part, Green Lantern doesn't get anything significantly different or special in the corner from the midscreen variations. You still might end up coming up with different corner combo variations to ensure you leave the opponent in and near the corner, but I'll leave that as an exercise to the reader.

For each starter, I've listed its startup frames (as reported in the game's frame data, anyway), the type of hit it is, and any avoidable or punishable parts of the string I found. For each combo, I've listed the damage done, the meter spent, if trait cancel was used, and whether it leaves the opponent on the same side they were on to start or on the opposite side from where they started. I used a significant amount of shorthand when writing these up, mostly following the same conventions as in the TestYourMight thread, so here's a brief rundown:

1234 - Light, Medium, Heavy, Trait
XX - Cancel from the preceding string into the following special
~4 - Trait Cancel (I probably should've done XX 4 for this tbh but oh well)
j - jump-in attack
nj - neutral jump (although I'm unsure if I left any of these in)
AA - anti-air
LM~MB - Lantern's Might (db1) meter burned
OR~MB - Oa's Rocket (bf1) meter burned
OR~~MB - Oa's Rocket with a delayed meter burn

Any normal string starter can be preceded with a j2, but I listed damage without the jump-in except in cases with strings that you don't generally want to use without the jump-in anyway. Another thing worth mentioning is that you obviously don't want to cancel a string into LM or OR~MB on block (although the latter is safe, it's a bad use of meter), so you should go into Practice, turn on Random block in AI Options, and practice verifying whether the first hit of the string (or the jump-in attack) hits or is blocked. If you get the hit, continue the combo. If not, cancel into minigun instead (or into nothing if the string is otherwise safe).

As one final note before the actual list, I highly recommend using the standard MK style controls with GL. The reason for this is that some of his combos involve doing 2 XX Oa's Rocket, and having that as bf1 is a lot easier to get the cancel out than as hcf1. It's also easier to do quick jumping bf1 than hcf1. That's not to say that you can't play GL with the SF style motions, just that it might be tougher to get things consistent.

With all that out of the way, here's the list as it stands right now:

b13 (9f low, second hit evadable with backdash, full combo punishable by 1/4th of the cast and punishable with fast special by another 1/4th):
Note: b13 XX LM and b13 XX OR~MB do not work in corner
b13~4 LM 223 LM (22%, meterless, trait cancel, same side)
b13 XX LM~MB b3 j3 223 LM (31%, one meter, opposite side)
b13~4 LM 2 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM (33%, one meter, trait cancel, same)
b13 XX LM~MB b3 j3 2 XX OR~MB 223 XX LM (37%, two meters, opposite)
b13~4 LM 2 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM~MB b3 223 XX LM (43%, two meters, trait, same)

22 and 223 (10f mid, second hit interruptable by Superman super if and only if first hit blocked low):
223 XX LM~MB b3 j3 223 XX LM (33%, one meter, opposite)
223 XX OR~MB b3 j3 223 XX LM (38%, one meter, opposite, doesn't work on small characters)
223 XX OR~MB b3 j3 223 XX LM~MB 223 XX LM (42%, two meters, opposite, doesn't work on small characters)
22 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM~MB b3 j2 223 XX LM (45%, two meters, same)
^-- Note: the OR~MB knocks them over your head
j3 22 XX LM~MB b3 j2 223 XX LM (40%, one meter, opposite)
j3 2 XX OR~~MB b3 j3 223 XX LM (48%, one meter, opposite)
j3 22 XX OR~~MB b23 XX LM~MB b3 223 XX LM (50%, two meters, opposite)
j3 2 XX OR~~MB b3 j3 223 XX LM~MB step forward 3 XX LM (52%, two meters, opposite)

f3 (18f overhead, safe, MB armorable, evades some lows):
f3 f3 (19%, meterless, same, UNCLASHABLE)
f3 j3 123 XX LM (30%, meterless, opposite)
f3 j3 b13~4 LM 223 XX LM (34%, meterless, trait, same)
f3 j3 123 XX LM~MB j2 223 XX LM (40%, one meter, opposite)
f3 j2 b2 XX OR~~MB b23 XX LM~MB j2 223 XX LM (46%, two meters, opposite, somewhat easier than next combo)
f3 j3 2 XX OR~~MB b23 XX LM~MB j2 223 XX LM (48%, two meters, opposite)

b3 starter (29f mid, safe, MB armorable):
Note: If deep in corner, you can wait for them to pass over after the b3, then do j2 into the rest of each combo.
b3 f3 (19%, meterless, same, UNCLASHABLE)
b3 j3 123 XX LM (30%, meterless, opposite)
b3 j3 b13~4 LM 223 XX LM (34%, meterless, trait, same)
b3 j3 123 XX LM~MB j2 223 XX LM (40%, one meter, opposite)
b3 j3 b2 XX OR~~MB b23 XX LM~MB j2 223 XX LM (49%, two meters, opposite)

123 (7f high, first and fourth hits duckable):
j2 123 XX LM~MB b3 j3 123 XX LM (41%, one meter, opposite)
j3 12 XX OR~MB 123 XX LM (40%, one meter, opposite)
j3 123 XX LM~MB b2 223 XX LM (40%, one meter, opposite)
j2 12 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM~MB b3 j2 223 XX LM (47%, two meters, same)
j3 12 XX OR~MB 3 XX LM~MB b3 223 XX LM (50%, two meters, opposite)

b23 starter (14f mid, second hit is a mid but still duckable for some reason):
j2 b23 XX LM~MB b3 j3 123 XX LM (41%, one meter, opposite)
j3 b23 XX OR~MB 123 XX LM (42%, one meter, opposite)
j2 b23 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM~MB b3 j2 223 XX LM (50%, two meters, same)
j3 b23 XX OR~MB 3 XX LM~MB b3 223 XX LM (53%, two meters, opposite)

f2d1 starter (16f mid, first hit is duckable mid, second hit overhead, gap is unsafe to Superman super):
j2 f2d1~4 LM 223 XX LM (27%, meterless, trait, same)
j2 f2d1 XX OR~MB b3 j3 123 XX LM (44%, one meter, opposite)
j2 f2d1 XX OR~MB b3 j3 123 XX LM~MB walk forward 223 XX LM (49%, two meters, opposite)
j2 f2d1~4 LM 2 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM~MB b3 223 XX LM (49%, two meters, same)

AA d2 starter (10f mid, unsafe on block so only use it as AA):
d2~4 LM 223 LM (18%, meterless, trait, same)
d2 b23 XX LM~MB b3 j2 223 XX LM (28%, one meter, opposite)
d2~4 LM 2 XX OR~MB 123 XX LM (29%, one meter, trait, same)
d2 b23 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM~MB b3 223 XX LM (35%, two meters, opposite)
d2~4 LM 2 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM~MB b3 223 XX LM (36%, two meters, trait, same)

OR~MB starter (normal projectile is high and unsafe in punish range, MB hit is mid and makes it safe):
OR~MB j2 123 XX LM (34%, one meter, opposite)
OR~MB j2 b13~4 LM 223 XX LM (38%, one meter, trait, same)
^-- Note: If out of range for the j2, (step forward) b13~4 might still connect, then combo does 34%
OR~MB (walk forward if necessary) LM~MB b3 j3 223 XX LM (42%, two meters, opposite)
OR~MB j2 123 XX LM~MB b3 223 XX LM (46%, two meters, opposite)

LM~MB starter (10f mid, great range, significantly minus on block so used primarily as AA or whiff punisher):
LM~MB b3 f3 (25%, one meter, same, UNCLASHABLE)
LM~MB b3 j3 123 XX LM (33%, one meter, opposite)
LM~MB b3 j3 2 XX OR~MB b23 XX LM (40%, two meters, opposite)

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Unbound posted:

This is to great for words. Care if I link it in the OP?

Go for it.

In other news, the rumor mill keeps on turning: http://testyourmight.com/threads/rumor-second-injustice-dlc-season-pass-leaked.32302/

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Good games Liar Lyre. Our connection was... weird. It was fine like 90% of the time, to the point where I felt like it was as close to offline as it gets, but then we'd get lag spikes. I wonder if it has to do with the crumbling poo poo in the background. I've heard that makes the game itself lag on PS3 at times.

Also, in case you're wondering why I was jumping around to a bunch of characters, I was mostly checking to see whose stuff I could or couldn't do in a connection like ours.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Liar Lyre posted:

I know what the problem was. My brother got on the computer for a little bit to check his email or something. Things you just got to deal with. Oh well, you still dominated me. And I broke your 14 game win streak. :v:

Hey man, we all gotta start somewhere. If you want advice or help learning a character, let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Bane is exactly where he should be in that list and all it takes is looking at anyone in any of those S tiers besides Wonder Woman to realize why. He's dangerous at lower skill levels but in tournament level play he's gonna lose matchups to characters like Superman and Black Adam 7-3 at least. Getting in is an absolute chore with him, and his one movement gimmick is hugely telegraphed and easily dealt with by all of those characters. He probably needs at least a way to cancel out of his charge, much like Grundy can cancel out of Walking Corpse. That would do worlds for his ability to approach.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Dracula Factory posted:

Lobo is bad? :( I haven't played him online yet but it seems like he has plenty of tools and highish damage. I guess I'm not very good and there could be something bad about his combo setups that I am totally oblivious to.

Lobo's only tool to help approach against zoning is the fact that his dash roll thing goes under high projectiles, which only helps out in a few cases. Also for some reason they decided his optimized combos should be stupid hard to do compared to other cast members. Hitting b3 after his dbf2~MB seriously feels like a one frame link, which is baffling when someone like Green Lantern can land Lantern's Might~MB, go make a sandwich, and come back in time to land their b3.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's actually a pretty debateable choice in that tier list, people are saying REO had a meltdown because Lobo has very difficult executions of his combos for not a lot of damage. REO posted a big rant thread about it and everything - he was apparently going to main Lobo and got super disappointed (because playing top-tier characters is his religion).

Lobo's damage output is fine, but the problem lies in that the point where the execution is toughest in his one meter BnBs - the MB grab into b3 - causes you to lose a lot of damage when you whiff it and then eat a lot of damage because they wake up and hit you right after you whiff the b3. You can go for a safer alternative but then you give up a bunch of damage.

Also his in close mixup (2 XX df1~d versus 21) requires his slow trait to be loaded every time and then Lobo to get in close.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 13, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Great Beer posted:

No way is it harder than landing a b3 after hawkgirls 123. But there's no reason for either of those to be as tight as they are, its ridiculous.

It absolutely is harder. When I do Hawkgirl's 123 b3 and just mash wildly on b3 I still get it like half the time. If I try the same thing with Lobo I get it like 20% of the time. There's also far less of a delay between 123 b3 for Hawkgirl than there is between grab~MB b3 for Lobo so it's easier to find a rhythm in the Hawkgirl example.

People on TYM have found visual cues that apparently help make the Lobo combo more consistent, but my base point still was that he's spending a bar to get the opportunity to land that b3, so why did they feel the need to make the timing window so tight when other characters like GL, Nightwing, Superman, Batman, etc. can all spend a bar and then land a b3 with no difficulty involved? The only character I can think of with a similarly tight MB special into b3 is Black Adam but that guy gets 45% meterless with trait anyway so it doesn't hurt him as much.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

AndyElusive posted:

Edit: LOL @ Hawkgirl being higher tier than Ares, Joker, Shazam, Harley Quinn, Lex Luthor, Bane and Lobo

Hawkgirl being that high is probably due to two factors: zoning and movement. Right now, zoning is strong in Injustice, and Hawkgirl has slow but large projectiles that allow her to play the long range game and cover some important angles. Her flight trait complements that by letting her be in portions of the screen that a lot of the cast have a tough time doing anything about. Her midscreen damage is lacking, but she gets good damage in the corner, and her projectiles, MB Mace Charge, and MB Mace Throw can all help her push characters into the corner.

In any event, I forgot to say this before, but people shouldn't be too hung up on this tier list. For one, both of the players admit this is really early and that plenty can (and probably will) change as people explore characters more and discover more and more dirtiness. Remember day 1 with the Sinestro players bemoaning the death of their character after he received nerfs from the pre-release final build? Now they're finding dirty, potentially inescapable resets and setups into his MB Arachnid unblockable and suddenly he's back in the realm of viability. That certainly could happen with anyone else in the bottom of the list, but as things stand right now, it's clear that those characters are lacking compared to the ones up in the S and A tiers in the list.

The other thing is, quite frankly, almost no one in this thread is really the target audience for such a list. Tier lists that are aimed at the highest level of play break down when you drop down to more intermediate skill levels because people drop things and/or can't apply all the necessary strategy and tech to make the matchups act like they would in high level.

Look at Harley, for example. Harley's zoning isn't as scary as near anyone else's because the damage on most of it is weak, and her approach is bad because her forward dash is lame and her Silly Slide special is only cancelable into Tantrum Stance. Her mixup suffers because her only overheads are f3, f2, and the second hit of f13, all of which are fairly slow and have distinctly-telegraphed animations. If you can't block f2 on reaction, though? Suddenly her mixup between f2 and b2 is scary because she has an actual high/low game that goes into 40% meterless and forces you to recover standing into another high/low mixup. Tournament players are going to block that f2 on reaction basically every time, but people at our skill level aren't, and that changes the entire scope of the matchup.

I guess the long and short of it is you should look at the list, try to understand why characters are where they are, but don't rely on it as gospel at this early stage in the game.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Bosushi! posted:

I really hate the timing on the 2 XX OR, so I came up with a variation that winds up being the same damage.

LM~MB b3 j3 22 XX OR~MB 223 XX LM (40%, two meters, opposite)

I actually knew about this one, but I didn't include it because I already had the other one in there. It's good to do this, though, to play around with combos, see what's possible, see if there are easier variations that still do the same or close to the same damage. You probably will want to work on 2 XX OR~MB, though, because some of the combos that use two meters and trait cancel can't abide the extra hit for 22 XX OR~MB.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Gonna go the lazy way here and drop a few links from EventHubs:

Injustice sold 424,000 in the US in April.
Boon's unofficial DLC poll closed, Blue Beetle received the least votes.
Match videos involving Arturo "TS|Sabin" Sanchez (Green Lantern, Sinestro, Aquaman), Maxter (Catwoman), and Jailhouse (Cyborg) and also Alioune (Cyborg) vs. DragonGod (Black Adam).

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Lurdiak posted:

Those sales are pretty low. :(

I don't think 424,000 in one month in one country is all that bad, actually, but who knows what NRS's projections were.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Seymour Butts posted:

My one worder is "fraud." They get pretty mad, then I avoid them and ignore them.

I've watched Art's stream on a few occasions and I don't think I've ever seen him play anyone else.

Art plays Green Lantern mainly, with Sinestro and Aquaman on the side. He probably doesn't do b13 b3 because he doesn't want to drop it online. I'm sure he's aware it combos.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Arturo Sanchez is back at the online player match grind: http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Jmcrofts posted:

GGs dude. I wish you would stop switching characters though, I just wanna learn the superman matchup >:I

Sorry about that, I still like exploring options with various characters. Besides, I think you already have a decent grasp on the matchup and just how crappy it is when Superman gets space and meter.

I guess the only thing you need to know is that the mixup off 22 is either 223 for overhead or 22 XX df1 for low, with the low being like 4 frames faster but punishable on block and the 3 being safe.

Next time we play 1v1 I'll use Superman all you want.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 15, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Soonmot posted:

Currently maining Raven. I suck though. f222 xxdb2 is her go to combo. If you meter burn it, they are going to bounvce high enough that you can do a j1 or 2, can't remember which, into f222 again. What I usually do is MB the grab then follow up with a df2 to catch them before they hit. db2 should be your reflex whenever someone jumps or you upper cut them.

Off f222 XX db2~MB you get:

1 meter: f222 XX db2~MB (slight pause or slight step forward) b3 j3 f222 XX df2
2 meters: f222 XX db2~MB b3 j3 f222 XX df2~MB f222 XX df2

You can also opt to end with db2 or just with f2233 but I don't remember if the latter is rollable. You can also start with that double low string of hers, what is it, b12?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

If you were having trouble with b3 after f222 XX db2~MB, take a tiny step forward before doing the b3.

In Raven's case, the only overhead she gets a combo off of is f3, so you can try for that, or you can back off, activate trait, and throw pillars out to make them move. If they mistime their movement, you can do traited up db2~MB into combo. If they try to respond with projectiles, you can go for traited db2 and hope that it trades in such a way that they still get pulled in and stuck in the struggling animation, in which case you can complete the combo, too.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Alex Valle appears to be taking Flash back into practice and working on his combos: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive
TeamhAZmat from Arizona are running sets: http://www.twitch.tv/teamhazmat
James Chen is playing online while talking about old man things like his wistful reminiscence of old school SF2: http://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv
And of course, Arturo is still going strong on his stream (which I linked a little earlier).

Edit: Oh hey, the TeamhAZmat stream even has a Raven on right now, how apropos.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

So, earlier people were asking about Wonder Woman's Sword and Shield stance and what you can get out of it midscreen. I mentioned that you can cancel from certain normals or strings into her Trait Switch and then link into Lasso Spin (db3). What hadn't occurred to me until I was dicking around in practice just now was that you can also link into her MB Tiara (bf2~MB), and it turns out it's quite a bit easier to do so, at least in my opinion. It lets you do very practical 1 meter combos off SnS 11 (fast high), 22 (slowish mid), and b2 (deceptively fast low). You'd do something like 22~4 (Lasso stance) bf2~MB b113 23 b3 j3 b113 XX Lasso Grab (df1).

It also lets you do stupid things like this:

SnS stance [22 XX bf2~MB]x3 22~4 (Lasso stance) bf2~MB b113 23 b3 j3 b113 XX df1 for 55%, wasteful of meter but it's funny so whatever.

Edit: This was most likely all common knowledge before, but I thought I'd throw it out there for the folks here interested in WW who may not have realized it worked.

Edit 2: The showoff combo seems to whiff on the smallest characters (at least Catwoman) because sometimes the stagger from 22 makes the bf2 shield miss and sometimes it doesn't.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 15, 2013

• Locked thread